pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

☁ 5… 3… 1… Keto! ☁

~ Time to Get Cut Up ~

• Background

By May 2012 I had gotten down to 180lb and around 12% body fat:

I took a 2 week break, which turned into 2 months while I got busy shopping for a (first) house. Diablo 3 had nothing to do with it...

July 2012, I'm in my new home, settled into a new project at work, and it's time to build up some muscles. So I ramped up to a 3000cal diet, and started on a linear progression routine. I wasn't too strict tracking macros, but stuck to a high-protein diet and did my best to hit my target calories each day without limiting fats and/or carbs.

Around mid-November, I got extra busy putting in overtime at work PLUS pressure was mounting to get a side contract done. I stopped going to the gym, but still ate ~2500-3000cal per day. Then I got sick, then holiday madness delayed it further. 6 weeks later - the start of January - I resumed the bulking.

March 1 was the end of my 8-month bulk. My main lifts progressed as follows:

(started conservative, all weights are 3x5)

Squat: 185lb - 265lb (first failed at 260 *only going parallel* then reset and started going below)
    Deadlift: 205lb - 315lb (first failed at 340 with not-so-great form... reset and focused on cleaner form)
    Bench Press: 95lb - 195lb (first failed at 170, couldn't progress until switching things around for benching 3x/week)
    Power Clean: 65lb - 180lb (first failed at 135, first time doing these ever)
    Overhead Press: 60lb - 115lb (first failed at 110, little progress despite multiple resets)

Here's what I look like now, at 210lb and ~19% body fat (caliper and hand-electrode-device confirmed). Not as chubby as after my last bulk, but still should have stopped before getting this fat.

(gotta practice not making dorky faces)

• The Goal: >180lb and <10%bf

Initial: 210lb @ 19%bf = 39.9 fat + 170.1 LBM
    Final: 180lb @ 8%bf = 14.4 fat + 165.6 LBM

That's 30lb loss, with ~85% being fat. Hopefully this is a realistic goal, and one that I can achieve with some dedication.

• The Diet

I will accomplish this by averaging 1 lb/week of weight loss, following a CKD diet (yes I know the word "diet" is redundant). I'm following this route because it sounds like an interesting experiment, and for the (potential) secondary benefits others have mentioned. While it may be no more effective than a standard, equally calorie-deficited diet, how can I know what my preference is without giving it a try?

• The Routine

I'll be following Jim Wendler's 5-3-1 routine with the "triumvirate" accessory protocol. I've chosen this routine due to its flexibility with individual workouts (the final max-out set) and not having a fixed progression model. I don't feel something like Madcow's 5x5 would be as appropriate, as it's unlikely I will be making the weekly strength gains it prescribes. Its concentration on compound lifts with heavy weights should be an obvious choice, to preserve as much muscle as possible.

• Calculating Caloric Intake

I'll go through 2 approaches to determining an estimate for my initial target intake level.

1- Use the formula

(using 1.3 multiplier, as I'm either sitting or sleeping 18+ hours/day)

LBM = 210 x 0.81 x 0.45 = 77kg
    BMR = 370 + 21.3 x LBM = 2013cal
    TDEE = BMR x 1.3 = 2617cal

2- Refer to past weight charts

This should be a more accurate method, as long as the average daily calories are known with reasonable accuracy. The only confounding factor is BMR raises with LBM, so will underestimate the more recent TDEE. Here's my weight chart for the duration of my bulk, with a nifty trendline added:

(guess when I got sick??)

The slope of the trendline gives the lb/day that I gained, so it's a simple process to find my true maintenance:

daily surplus = slope x 3500 cal/lb = 0.1041 x 3500 = 364 cal/day
    TDEE = consumption - surplus = 3000 - 364 = 2636cal

I'm actually surprised how close those came out. Based on this, I will initiate ketosis and maintain the first 2 weeks at 2600cal, then drop my target by 100cal per week until I achieve 1 lb/week weight loss.

Incidentally, assuming I was still 12% BF when I started the bulk, that means of the 30lbs I gained, it was in a 39:61 muscle:fat ratio.
    -> (210 x 0.19 - 180 x 0.12) / (210 - 180) = 0.61 fat

• Macros

Pretty simple targets: 65/30/5 f/p/c

Carbs: 2600 x 0.05 / 4 = 33g (total - fibre)
    Protein: 2600 x 0.30 / 4 = 195g
    Fat: 2600 x 0.65 / 9 = 188g
    Fibre: health reasons = 30g

• Resources

5-3-1 routine with "Triumvirate" accessory: http://www.jimwendler.com
    5-3-1 calculator & tracker: http://www.strstd.com/
    Food tracker: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/
    Keto Guide: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=132598293

• Timeline

March 1 - 14: 2 weeks R & R, no calorie tracking, eating up carbs in house (marshmallows + ice cream are a bad idea to have laying around for keto).
    March 15: Last night of carbs, begin fasting ~7pm.
    March 16: Morning cardio + moderate weights + body-weight exercises, trying to deplete glycogen stores. As close to 0g carbs as possible.
    March 17: Another morning workout. <10g carbs. St. Patrick's Day - low/no carb alcohol!
    March 18: Day 1 of 5-3-1. If Ketostix test positive for ketones, will up carbs to 30g, else keep <10g. Buy fresh veggies to go with freezer-full of meat & nuts.

pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Alright, I polished off my leftover pizza and milk last night, so there's no carbs to tempt me. I followed that with shoveling 8-10 inches of snow... solid workout!

This morning I started off with some "bullet-proof" coffee:
    • ~2.5 cups of french press coffee
    • 2 tbsp butter
    • 1 tsp coconut oil

Delicious! I'll slowly increase the coconut oil content, as my first attempt with a heaping tablespoon of it turned out to be a highly effective all-day laxative.

My morning (semi) fasted workout consisted of shoveling a few more inches of snow, followed by some higher-rep weight lifting. I don't have much to work with in my basement, but it's enough for a decent upper-body workout.

For my meals, my only goals were: very low net carbs, and hitting the 2600 calorie target. I'll incorporate vegetables once I'm locked into ketosis, and try to aim for a bit more variety.

This is my first time using MyFitnessPal (LoseIt before) and I'm not too impressed. First off, I'm stuck using % values for macro targets, so it's impossible to account for fibre in the carb target. Under a normal high-carb diet, the difference wouldn't be significant, but it is when fibre = carb levels. Also, the mobile app is full of ads and the interface is rather cluttered even without them. Anyone have any suggestions for a nice simple one that lets you set calorie, fat, protein, carb, and fibre targets, where it's easy to see where you're at as you go?

Yes, I'm going to keep consuming alcohol. Especially when it's celebratory scotch

Tested with Ketostix tonight, showing "small" levels of ketones. Off to a good start, and feeling fine!
    Last edited by pretend; 03-18-2013 at 07:36 PM.

Had a similar start to the day as yesterday: bullet-proof coffee, shoveled 4 inches of snow, did some upper-body exercises, then onto eating.

Unfortunately I failed the St. Patrick's Day test.

120g of carbs too many. I didn't want to refuse the food given to me and have to explain myself. I'll have to get over that if I'm going to stick to this diet.

Tomorrow I'll get back to the strict keto diet, and it will be day 1 of my 5-3-1 program. I can't wait!
    Last edited by pretend; 03-18-2013 at 07:37 PM.

Back on the keto train today. Looks like lunches will consist of some sort of salad... leafy greens + meat. Hard to buy low/no carb from the food courts

Also started back up at the gym after getting sick and doing a post-bulk break. Time to start the actual workout log!!
    • Day 1: Overhead Press
    OHP
    50lb x 5
    60lb x 5
    75lb x 3
    80lb x 5
    90lb x 5
    105lb x 8

Felt like a sissy swapping out the little weights for slightly less little ones, but my OHP is weak to begin with, so gotta swallow that ego!

Dips
    BW x 11
    -30lb x 15
    -30lb x 11
    -50lb x 10
    -60lb x 15

Obviously I overestimated my strength, and wasn't really considering the fact I had to do 5 sets. I'll start at -40lb next time and see how that goes. Should go better without going to exhaustion on the first set.

Chin/Pull Ups
    BW x 7
    BW x 5
    BW x 5
    BW x 4
    BW x 3

Again, thought I could hit 10 reps, without considering I'd never get 10 a 2nd let alone 5th time. Overconfident, or just not thinking? Plus I didn't even get it once. Next time around I'll go assisted at -40lb like the dips, which sounds more realistic.

• Ketogenic Diet

Getting better with this. I haven't actually had protein + fat + carb targets for over a year. Generally I find a calorie target and a high protein, balanced diet is good enough. Well, after tracking macros specifically at least, since that gives you a pretty good idea of what "high protein" amounts to in your food choices so you can be confident in getting in a minimum amount. But with the ketogenic diet, I'm forced to worry about the specifics again, with more limited foods to choose from. This will take some practice to do without boring repetitive meals.

Just noticing my mixed veggies entry has no macros... and I doubt it amounted to 160cals of broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini and peppers. Close enough for this time! Looks like I will have to work on upping the fats though.

I was really exhausted by the end of this workout. Probably because I haven't done this high reps OR sets of any exercise... basically ever. Well, about a year since I came close anyways. I'm sure it'll take a week or 2 for my wimpy body to adjust.
    • Day 2: Deadlift
    Deadlift
    135lb x 5
    165lb x 5
    200lb x 3
    215lb x 5
    250lb x 5
    285lb x 6

Did these all without straps. The mixed grip on final set felt awkward, almost like my elbows don't bend that way. My hand really just wants to stop around 45° from fully supinated. Maybe it needs some rotational stretching...?

Good Mornings
    95lb x 12
    95lb x 12
    95lb x 12
    95lb x 12
    95lb x 12

This was my first time ever doing GMs. 95lb seemed like an easy weight to start out with, and it was. Aside from getting exhausted at the high reps (60 total!) that is. I could really feel a stretch in my hamstrings and glutes, and I'm sure I'll feel some DOMs by Friday. Form improved as I went, and I'll be watching some more videos to keep things cleaner next time... with some more weight!

Hanging Leg Raise -> Roman Chair Knee Raises
    BW x 10
    BW x 10
    BW x 10
    BW x 8
    BW x 8

I know I can't do 10 reps of Hanging Leg Raises. And definitely not the "touch the bar" variety. So I'll have to stick to the Roman Chair, and work my way up to the full 5x10 with straight-ish legs, then graduate to hanging ones.

• Ketogenic Diet

Aw yeah... hit protein, fat, net carbs, and total calories nicely. Only concern is the fibre levels. I may have to pick up some psyllium husk to bump the numbers. Or better yet, up the vegetable intake!

High-Fibre Vegetables:
    • Artichoke (marinated): 2g per 50g
    • Asparagus: 1.8g per 90g (1/2 cup)
    • Avocado: 2.2g per 73g (half)
    • Broccoli (raw): 2.3g per 88g (1 cup)
    • Brussels Sprouts: 6.4g per 78g (1/2 cup)
    • Carrots: 1.8g per 64g (1/2 cup)
    • Peas: 4.4g per 80g (1/2 cup)

I'm definitely digging out quick these workouts are! It's like my previous routine, but only 1 core lift instead of 3 per day.
    • Day 3: Bench Press
    Bench Press
    85lb x 5
    105lb x 5
    125lb x 3
    135lb x 5
    155lb x 5
    175lb x 6

The lower weights went by really easy, but the final set felt tougher than it would have been 3 weeks ago. I probably lost some strength getting sick (definitely eating under maintenance, and in bed for days). I'm sure it'll pick up!

DB Bench Press
    40lbs x 15
    40lbs x 15
    40lbs x 15
    40lbs x 15
    40lbs x 15

Feel the burn! 40lb DBs turned out to be a good weight to use. 75 total reps with full ROM is a lot to do following maxing out on the BB version.

DB Row
    40lbs x 10
    40lbs x 10
    40lbs x 10
    40lbs x 10
    40lbs x 10

Obviously this is 10 reps per arm. These weren't too bad to do, until the last few reps of the last few sets, which required a bit extra momentum to get up. DB rows are about how I remember them feeling since I last did them a year ago... they feel awkward and uncontrolled.

• Ketogenic Diet

Whipping cream-based latte with breakfast! Didn't foam up very well, but tasted great

I've started a keto log over in the nutrition section, where I'll (try to) put up daily updates and go into more detail on food-specific stuff. Link is in sig. I will keep including my diet for the workout days here though.

Sweating like a beast these days (in the gym). Not sure if it's the keto or what. Finished my first "week", and I can see this ramping up fast in difficulty. Only thing that seems missing is direct arm work, but that can come later. My hamstrings are STILL sore from last Wednesday's Good Mornings, but it's definitely easing up. It wasn't even like normal, 2nd-day-after, DOMs. This was: next-day-F-YOU-AND-YOUR-BENDING-OVER-GOALS soreness.
    • Day 4: Squat
    Squat
    110lb x 5
    140lb x 5
    180lb x 3
    180lb x 5
    210lb x 5
    240lb x 5

Not a typo on 4th set... I just can't add up weights properly. It was supposed to be 170x3. Was a bit disappointed to have to stop at 5 on final set, but hitting it is what counts more than getting past it.

Leg Press
    90lbs x 15
    90lbs x 15
    90lbs x 15
    90lbs x 15
    90lbs x 15

I've never done these before, so thankfully the machine was easy to figure out lol. I'd planned on starting at 1 plate, then adding 25s since it was sure to be too easy. It was fine, don't want to kill myself the first week. 5x15 is a lot of volume, especially when you're doing controlled, full-range-of-motion movements. I went for close-stance to (supposedly) work the outer-quad.

Leg Curl
    25lbs (per leg) x 15
    25lbs (per leg) x 15
    25lbs (per leg) x 15
    25lbs (per leg) x 15
    25lbs (per leg) x 15

Oops #2. These were supposed to be 5x10. I guess I can up it next time. These are tough to do a controlled concentric motion with. I find I tend to throw the weight up and catch it at the top, which is probably less effective than doing it slower.

• Ketogenic Diet

Hardest part I'm finding is getting enough fibre in, but did pretty good today. Well, that and turning down all the sugary treats people bring in to work. Rum Cake

Today was my last day of my old job. 4 days to unwind before starting up again on Monday. Programming for a bank should be interesting!
    • Day 5: Overhead Press
    OHP
    45lb(supposed to be 50) x 5
    60lb x 5
    75lb x 3
    85lb x 5 (supposed to be 3)
    100lb x 3
    110lb x 5

Not doing so well following the prescribed numbers. But at least I'm exceeding the max rep set. OHP seems to go from way too easy, to impossible in a very small span of weights.

Dips
    -40lb x 15
    -40lb x 15
    -40lb x 15
    -60lb x 15
    -60lb x 12

-40 went alright for the first while, but caught up to me, so I dropped it to -60 and almost finished things off.

Chin/Pull Ups
    -50lb x 10
    -50lb x 10
    -50lb x 10
    -50lb x 8
    -50lb x 8

Was going to do -40, but wasn't feeling it after the dips. Sooo close to the full 5x10. Next time for sure!

Was in and out of the gym in 1 hour, including ~10min cardio, stretching, workout, then shower after. I'm lovin it!

• Ketogenic Diet

A bit a celebratory snacks thrown in there, but got calories pretty much on-target. Oh here, have a pic of the good stuff:

I found myself a bit light-headed after leaving the gym, mostly when standing up after crouching down at the grocery store. Not sure what that was about, but I've been fine since.
    • Day 6: Deadlift
    Deadlift
    135lb x 5
    165lb x 5
    200lb x 3
    235lb x 3
    265lb x 3
    300lb x 5

Tried out my Eco Ball, just on the last set. Seems to work pretty well to keep my hands dry for extra grip. Didn't notice any residue either.

Good Mornings
    95lb x 12
    95lb x 12
    95lb x 12
    95lb x 12
    95lb x 12

Decided to keep these at 95lbs, as they destroyed my hamstrings last time, and they're still a bit stiff from the leg curls on Monday. One piece of advice I read on these is that it's more about performing the movement, than moving a lot of weight. Maxing out on these can be risky if your form is slipping.

Hanging Leg Raise -> Roman Chair Knee Raises
    BW x 10
    BW x 10
    BW x 7
    BW x 8
    BW x 9

I stop the set after these turn into violently jerking my knees up, then letting them collapse back down. Ah to have strong abs...

• Ketogenic Diet

Cauliflower-crust pizza was mostly a success. Probably about as much mess as making actual dough, and I learned a valuable lesson about waxed vs parchment paper This is what it looked like (1/2 serving = 1/2 pizza):

Workout failure. I had the beginnings of a migraine coming on before starting my warm-up cardio. This is the type of headache that gets worse as my heart rate rises. I gave it a valiant effort, but there's no way I could continue on, especially with the high-rep accessory sets.
    • Day 7: Bench Press
    Bench Press
    85lb x 5
    105lb x 5
    125lb x 3
    145lb x 3
    165lb x 3
    185lb x 2 (target of 3)

Felt really weak, not solid at all. First rep at 185 was almost like my arms collapsed, and I caught it at my chest, instead of a controlled descent.

DB Bench Press
    40lbs x 10

Every rep drove up my heart rate, which intensified the pain in my head. I may have passed out had I pushed it to 15 reps. Really disappointed I wasn't able to push through this, as I have done before with a different type of headache. Now if only I could find what the actual causes of these are... maybe from changing sleep patterns, or even caffeine withdrawals, as I didn't actually have any coffee today

DB Row
    40lbs not even once

I think the best course of action is to pretend this day never happened, and redo bench press day next time. It really only amounted to a warm-up anyways.

• Ketogenic Diet

Today was the first day of my actual cut. Weight had been steady for 2 weeks at 202lb, taking in 2600cal, so I dropped it by 500cal. Now the real fun begins!

Re-did Monday's routine with much better results. Head was in perfect shape for lifting!
    • Day 7b: Bench Press
    Bench Press
    85lb x 5
    105lb x 5
    125lb x 3
    145lb x 3
    165lb x 3
    185lb x 5

Went pretty good, after waiting around for 5 mins for a free bench. Not sure why the personal trainers seem to be the most inconsiderate of gym users... they spent more time resting on the bench and doing pushups next to it than actually using it (with dumbbells, no less).

DB Bench Press
    40lbs x 15
    40lbs x 15
    40lbs x 15
    40lbs x 15
    40lbs x 10

Was a real mental battle getting those last reps out, and I obviously lost on the last set. They seem so light at the start!

DB Row
    40lbs x 10
    40lbs x 10
    40lbs x 10
    40lbs x 10
    40lbs x 10

These didn't get tough until towards the end, on the 2nd hand. I don't think these will ever not feel awkward to do. I think it's the unilateral movement... maybe t-bar rows would feel better.

• Ketogenic Diet

I'm slacking off on protein... gotta plan the meals a bit more to get that in, sacrificing fats if necessary.

• Day 8: Squat
    Squat
    110lb x 5
    140lb x 5
    170lb x 3
    195lb x 3
    225lb x 3
    250lb x 5

My back seems to be the limiting factor on the all-out set. Hopefully the rows and deadlift day will help strengthen that.

Leg Press
    110lbs x 15
    110lbs x 15
    110lbs x 15
    110lbs x 15
    110lbs x 15

These are pretty draining and sweat-inducing at the high rep ranges. I feel like so weak loading up my 2 plates, when there's about 12 stored on the machine. Someone must be using them all!

Leg Curl
    70lbs x 10
    80lbs x 10
    80lbs x 10
    80lbs x 10
    80lbs x 10

Used the laying machine this time. Left calf was constantly on the verge of fully cramping up, but I managed to push through. I could feel it nicely in my hamstrings, but probably could have gone up to 90lbs and got through it. With longer rests between sets anyways.

• Ketogenic Diet

Lololol. Carb-up time. Friday night through til Saturday night will be high carb, low fat. I'm not tracking intake this first time, but as this will be a weekly part of the diet, I will keep the total calories ~2100 going forward.

Going to start doing the 5-3-1 "properly", 4 days a week. Short workouts, and splitting the lifts apart should make it easier to manage. Plus hitting all muscle groups before my weekly carb-ups is a good idea!
    • Day 9: Overhead Press
    OHP
    50lb x 5
    60lb x 5
    75lb x 3
    90lb x 5
    105lb x 3
    115lb x 1+4

Got up to 5 on the all-out set, which is alright since my PR is 120x5 at the end of my bulk. Last rep was a real grinder, but got it without legs, so it counts!

Dips
    -50lb x 15
    -50lb x 15
    -50lb x 15
    -50lb x 15
    -50lb x 12

Pushed as hard as I could, but my body just refused to get those last 3 reps. I know the assistance work isn't supposed to be to complete failure... but I was so close!

Chin Ups
    -50lb x 10
    -50lb x 10
    -50lb x 10
    -50lb x 8
    -50lb x 8

Exactly the same as last time. I didn't even look or recall the numbers to influence getting to or failing at 8. Arms were completely thrashed after this workout, not that I'm complaining!

• Ketogenic Diet

Back to the normal keto diet today.

Aw hell, have the pics from Saturday's carb-up part 2, it was kind of ridiculous:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...post1051431081
    Originally Posted by Cyclical Ketogenic Diet (CKD) Cutting Log
    Brunch: 4 slices of french toast, layered with Nutella and banana. Covered in maple syrup. Glass of coke!

Lunch: Proatmeal with "a tablespoon" of Nutella and a handful of marshmallows. Glass of coke!

Dinner: Sludge with UP2 chocolate + chocolate milk. Lucky Charms + 2 bananas mixed in.

Been lazy logging workouts and meals. I've still been at it though! Here's the last 2 workouts.

• Day 10: Deadlift
    Deadlift
    135lb x 5
    165lb x 5
    200lb x 3
    250lb x 5
    285lb x 3
    315lb x 1+3

Nice to get an extra 3 on these, should be able to increase the weight as the cycles progress

Good Mornings
    105lb x 12
    105lb x 12
    105lb x 12
    105lb x 12
    105lb x 12

Upped these to 105lb this week. Really tough to keep a tight core and decent form towards the end. I'll be sticking to this weight for the time being.

Roman Chair Knee Raises
    BW x 10
    BW x 10
    BW x 10
    BW x 10
    BW x 8

Turned into a lot of momentum at the end. Good to hit those lower abs though!

• Day 11: Bench Press
    Bench Press
    85lb x 5
    105lb x 5
    125lb x 3
    155lb x 5
    175lb x 3
    200lb x 1+2

I've never actually pressed 200lb before, so I guess that's a PR! Last rep got stuck about half way up, but with hurculean effort, I managed to get it up.

DB Bench Press
    40lbs x 15
    40lbs x 15
    40lbs x 15
    40lbs x 15
    40lbs x 15

There's weren't actually that bad. Only the last few reps of the later sets started to burn bad. Might up it to 45lb DBs next time, depending how I feel.

DB Row
    45lbs x 10
    45lbs x 10
    45lbs x 10
    45lbs x 10
    45lbs x 10

45lbs felt like a good weight, which didn't kill me but took solid effort to get through. I'll keep it here!

• Ketogenic Diet

I won't spam up this area with my catch-up days, but I'm still sticking to it. After my massive carb-up on Saturday, I didn't actually register positive for ketones until Wednesday night. I've also been weighing in a couple pounds heavier than before the carb-up. Not sure if I should do it again this weekend, just more judiciously, or do them only every other weekend.

• Day 12: Squat
    Squat
    110lb x 5
    140lb x 5
    170lb x 3
    210lb x 5
    240lb x 3
    265lb x 1+2

These were pretty solid until I failed trying for #4 on the last set. I only got a few inches out of the hold then collapsed back down to the safety bars. I'm not sure what muscle group failed me there, but I think it's the same one that Good Mornings wore out 3 days ago.

Leg Press
    140lbs x 15
    140lbs x 15
    140lbs x 15
    140lbs x 15
    140lbs x 15

Solid jump from last week. Huge pump in the quads, but I could probably have done a bit more weight.

Leg Curl
    90lbs x 10
    90lbs x 10
    90lbs x 10
    90lbs x 10
    90lbs x 10

This wasn't even hard. Short breaks and not too painful even towards the end. Doing more next time for sure!

• Ketogenic Diet

Not doing a carb-up this week as I don't really feel the need for it. I'll see how I feel next Friday for whether I'll do it then or not. I don't want to unnecessarily fill up on glycogen, but I also don't want to suffer from going too long without it!

Unfortunately I had to miss 5 days from getting sick last week. I'm on the deload week, but I'm sure my muscles got fully deloaded from laying in bed last week. I'll be going Tuesday-Friday this week, as the low weights shouldn't be too taxing, and it'll be a good warm-up to start the next cycle next week!
    • Day 13: Overhead Press
    OHP
    40lb x 5
    60lb x 5
    80lb x 3
    40lb x 5
    60lb x 5
    80lb x 5

Weights weren't quite as prescribed, since I was stuck using the fixed barbells. Did all the sets with minimal rest time and was pretty easy.

Dips
    -50lb x 15
    -50lb x 15
    -50lb x 15
    -50lb x 15
    -50lb x 15

Managed to get the full 5x15 without too much struggle at the end. I'll probably keep this at -50lb a few more rounds until I can get it easy.

Chin Ups
    -50lb x 10
    -50lb x 10
    -50lb x 10
    -50lb x 8
    -50lb x 7

Still can't get up to 10 on those last 2 sets. I can't imagine doing these at body weight. I need a lot more upper body strength

• Ketogenic Diet

Fairly normal diet, except for no eggs this morning. I wanted to try out the new protein powders. I was going for "low carb" ones, but not sure how I ended up buying that 5g per scoop one. Neither one was very good, but I've definitely had worse.

• Day 14: Deadlift
    Deadlift
    135lb x 5
    165lb x 5
    200lb x 3
    135lb x 5
    165lb x 5
    200lb x 5

I almost got air on the 2nd set at 135lb. So used to weights getting heavier, not lighter! Super easy, minimal rest time, good endurance work I guess.

Good Mornings
    105lb x 12
    105lb x 12
    105lb x 12
    105lb x 12
    105lb x 12

These took some exertion, and I could really feel it in my butt (that's what she said). Was able to keep pretty solid form throughout.

Hanging Knee Raises
    BW x 8
    BW x 6
    BW x 5
    BW x 5
    BW x 5

Went for the proper hanging version this time. Brought my knees up to my face. It felt like I could have hit 10 on the first set, but it was a good thing I left something in the tank, as my strength dropped fast after that set. When I have to start violently contracting my body instead of a controlled knee-raising, I know I'm spent!

• Ketogenic Diet

Was lazy today... protein shakes instead of food. Hence the really unbalanced macros. Back on track tomorrow!

More easy deload week fun! The "working" sets hardly even seem worth it, dropping back to the warm-up weights.

• Day 15: Bench Press
    Bench Press
    85lb x 5
    105lb x 5
    125lb x 3
    85lb x 5
    105lb x 5
    125lb x 5

Easy as pie. Whole thing was a warm-up.

DB Bench Press
    45lbs x 15
    45lbs x 15
    45lbs x 15
    45lbs x 15
    45lbs x 15

Now these on the other had, were really tough to finish off. Upped it from 40lb DBs previously.

DB Row
    45lbs x 10
    45lbs x 10
    45lbs x 10
    45lbs x 10
    45lbs x 10

Only got hard towards the end. Left hand is weaker than right, but probably only cuz I do the right side first.

• Ketogenic Diet

Went to a German restaurant for lunch, was tough not eating the hash browns and English muffins that had soaked up all the Eggs Benedict juices. I'm sure they woulda been amazing!