Angi3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Angi3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Angi3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Angi3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Angi3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Unhappy Gel Manicures...

So I'm addicted to gel manicures. I mean I love everything about them. They last up to 2 weeks and they don't chip! But, lately I've been coming across articles and just people talking about how gel manicures are bad for you, in the sense that they can potentially cause skin cancer because of the uv light used to dry the nails and that they make your fingers age sooner making them "wrinkly" Just making gel manicure seem all around bad.

So my question is what do you think? And should I discontinue my addiction with gel mani's?

Thank you in advance for all the post!

Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Honestly, I just don't know. We do them at my spa/salon, and they're so awesome. My hands are in water all day and take a beating from lifting, so something that makes my polish last 2
    Weeks is amazing for me.
    With that said, I don't do it all the time, probably once every couple of months.
    You say you're getting them all the
    Time? With no breaks? You're supposed to take a break every couple times and let your natural nails breath.

DiannaPrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiannaPrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiannaPrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiannaPrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiannaPrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiannaPrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiannaPrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiannaPrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiannaPrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiannaPrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiannaPrince will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think they're not much worse than a normal manicure. I also think I can't decide whether you should continue or not, because I've had one manicure in my life and I was 13, so I don't quite understand the phenomena of manicures.

I've heard of people wearing white fingerless gloves to prevent UV exposure. Unless the fabric is treated, they don't offer much protection. Slather your hands in SPF +45 before you stick your hands under maybe?

kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I also LOVE gel manicures. My salon uses an LED light, not a UV. It takes a little longer to set but aside from that its the same thing.

I don't think the small amount of time you're exposed to it on such a small area is really going to be dangerous in the long run. However, if you're still worried you could do as the others suggested and put sunscreen on your hands. I wouldn't stop doing them, I would cry if I had to!
    Karen

Angi3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Angi3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Angi3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Angi3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Angi3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by kdiamond55 View Post
    I also LOVE gel manicures. My salon uses an LED light, not a UV. It takes a little longer to set but aside from that its the same thing.

I don't think the small amount of time you're exposed to it on such a small area is really going to be dangerous in the long run. However, if you're still worried you could do as the others suggested and put sunscreen on your hands. I wouldn't stop doing them, I would cry if I had to!
    Yeah...Thanks! I would cry too if I had to! I will start using some sort of spf lotion before hand just to be on the safe side. Just wanted to know if others had the same concerns as me. But Thanks a ton for your response, I appreciate it!

Originally Posted by Cara0915 View Post
    Honestly, I just don't know. We do them at my spa/salon, and they're so awesome. My hands are in water all day and take a beating from lifting, so something that makes my polish last 2
    Weeks is amazing for me.
    With that said, I don't do it all the time, probably once every couple of months.
    You say you're getting them all the
    Time? With no breaks? You're supposed to take a break every couple times and let your natural nails breath.

Thanks Girl...I mean I get them done like every two weeks! They just last so long and look great for most of that time. I just can't seem to give it up!

BIEN_DIESEL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BIEN_DIESEL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BIEN_DIESEL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BIEN_DIESEL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BIEN_DIESEL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BIEN_DIESEL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BIEN_DIESEL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BIEN_DIESEL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BIEN_DIESEL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BIEN_DIESEL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BIEN_DIESEL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Angi3 View Post
    So I'm addicted to gel manicures. I mean I love everything about them. They last up to 2 weeks and they don't chip! But, lately I've been coming across articles and just people talking about how gel manicures are bad for you, in the sense that they can potentially cause skin cancer because of the uv light used to dry the nails and that they make your fingers age sooner making them "wrinkly" Just making gel manicure seem all around bad.

So my question is what do you think? And should I discontinue my addiction with gel mani's?

theres articles about everything in life that say its bad like the news, to get people to see or read it. most gel mani i do last 2-4 weeks depending on how the women uses her hands.

if uv light for 60 seconds gives people cancer for each finger... why didnt they write an article about billions of females getting cancer from the same light for gel full sets? why not post an article about people dying every sec bc the same light used in tanning beds people lay there for 15-30 mins, how would 60 sec to dry ur nails be as harmfull as tanning bed?

wrinkly? maybe bc some people dont use lotion or oil on their fingers after finishing their nails?

yes i do nails n i also owned a hair n nail salon before. it also all depends on how the tech does ur nails. i know i never have any probs or do a bad job, my job i do have to be better then 100%
    Fictional character
    Natural just means you're able to beat a piss test, doesn't mean anything about the truth.
    1500lbs bench,squat,dl, u mad?
    5'11-6 FEET,210-228LBS
    personal trainer
    aiming to be 260-280lbs of fearfull mass
    max bench,545lbs 11/23/10 565lbs 7/11/11
    barbell curl 185lbs, 175lbs 4 reps 9/1/09
    leg press 1345lbs
    squat 455lbs 9/5/09 sciatic nerve damage
    deadlift 580lbs
    shurgs 865lbs reps
    lil 20.5 inch arms
    FULL VIETNAMESE DU MA! u mad?

BIEN_DIESEL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BIEN_DIESEL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BIEN_DIESEL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BIEN_DIESEL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BIEN_DIESEL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BIEN_DIESEL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BIEN_DIESEL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BIEN_DIESEL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BIEN_DIESEL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BIEN_DIESEL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BIEN_DIESEL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by kdiamond55 View Post

i find that the opposite of what u just said hun, led light is faster but gets hotter but only 60 sec while the uv lamps takes atleast 2 minutes or longer. usually nearly alll uv lamps are in those big white box u place ur hands in while led light uses a black box
    Fictional character
    Natural just means you're able to beat a piss test, doesn't mean anything about the truth.
    5'11-6 FEET,210-228LBS
    personal trainer
    leg press 1345lbs
    deadlift 580lbs
    shurgs 865lbs reps
    lil 20.5 inch arms

Originally Posted by BIEN_DIESEL View Post
    theres articles about everything in life that say its bad like the news, to get people to see or read it. most gel mani i do last 2-4 weeks depending on how the women uses her hands.

if uv light for 60 seconds gives people cancer for each finger... why didnt they write an article about billions of females getting cancer from the same light for gel full sets? why not post an article about people dying every sec bc the same light used in tanning beds people lay there for 15-30 mins, how would 60 sec to dry ur nails be as harmfull as tanning bed?

wrinkly? maybe bc some people dont use lotion or oil on their fingers after finishing their nails?

yes i do nails n i also owned a hair n nail salon before. it also all depends on how the tech does ur nails. i know i never have any probs or do a bad job, my job i do have to be better then 100%
    Thank you & I totally agree with you! Gel mani's do last me more then 2 weeks, Just once they pass that second week they're grown out and that bothers me a lot. But Thanks for your response, I appreciate it!

jayelbate is not very well liked. (-100) jayelbate is not very well liked. (-100) jayelbate is not very well liked. (-100) jayelbate is not very well liked. (-100) jayelbate is not very well liked. (-100) jayelbate is not very well liked. (-100) jayelbate is not very well liked. (-100) jayelbate is not very well liked. (-100) jayelbate is not very well liked. (-100) jayelbate is not very well liked. (-100) jayelbate is not very well liked. (-100)
    I wanted to get a gel manicure but I ended up getting acrylics by accident

traxchix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) traxchix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) traxchix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) traxchix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) traxchix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) traxchix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) traxchix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) traxchix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) traxchix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) traxchix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) traxchix is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    My salon slathers sunscreen on their clients hands before placing in the machine.
    "If you love someone set them Free. If they come back, set em on Fire." Then repeat as needed or until they stop screaming...

WHY ARE THERE So many banned females? fake accounts?
    Fictional character
    5'11-6 FEET,210-228LBS
    personal trainer
    leg press 1345lbs
    deadlift 580lbs
    shurgs 865lbs reps
    lil 20.5 inch arms

JulieC26 is a name known to all. (+5000) JulieC26 is a name known to all. (+5000) JulieC26 is a name known to all. (+5000) JulieC26 is a name known to all. (+5000) JulieC26 is a name known to all. (+5000) JulieC26 is a name known to all. (+5000) JulieC26 is a name known to all. (+5000) JulieC26 is a name known to all. (+5000) JulieC26 is a name known to all. (+5000) JulieC26 is a name known to all. (+5000) JulieC26 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    hmm..I never tried gel manicures but sounds interesting=D If you let your nails breathe and not get your nails done back to back every time..then I think it'll be ok. Now I want to get my nails done.... haha I'll try the gel tomorrow~

Ugh...IDK I dont get it....This is not a fake account. Just people aren't so nice I guess. It's super annoying!

Originally Posted by JulieC26 View Post
    hmm..I never tried gel manicures but sounds interesting=D If you let your nails breathe and not get your nails done back to back every time..then I think it'll be ok. Now I want to get my nails done.... haha I'll try the gel tomorrow~
    Gel Manicures seriously are the best...they last for me like up to three and look awesome always...let me know how you like them...thnxx

Originally Posted by traxchix View Post
    My salon slathers sunscreen on their clients hands before placing in the machine.
    well that's a good thing, I wish my nail salon did that too. lately I put on sunscreen before I go get my nails done.

littlefitgirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Angi3 View Post

I do gel manicures on myself and in the salon and some clients do worry about the UV exposure but I read an article in I think Women's Health this month that said it would take over 13,000 gel manicures to get skin cancer from it

SavvyD79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking lol

I think they banned her because of the screen name she chose :O

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!

Mr Flexy's Happy Protégé LisaSkinnoble's Avatar
    LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    While I agree that the gel and shellac manicures look great and last long, they ruined my nails and I will never again get one. I've never in my life had a problem with splitting, cracking and peeling nails until I started with the gel manicures.
    No drama: You know where we are.

Hello and welcome to our newest member jackbauer.

Meet stats:
    April 2017 - 235/135/270
    Aug 2017 - 245/125/285

Originally Posted by LisaSkinnoble View Post
    While I agree that the gel and shellac manicures look great and last long, they ruined my nails and I will never again get one. I've never in my life had a problem with splitting, cracking and peeling nails until I started with the gel manicures.
    Sorry. To hear that. Some people have already weakned splitting chipped nails before they start gel, two since people either soak them too long or. Don't soak them enough in a short time that they end up using the pusher to push the hell out of it, I don't do that
    Fictional character
    5'11-6 FEET,210-228LBS
    personal trainer
    leg press 1345lbs
    deadlift 580lbs
    shurgs 865lbs reps
    lil 20.5 inch arms

RM001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RM001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RM001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RM001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RM001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RM001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RM001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RM001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RM001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RM001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RM001 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I used to get them all the time and eventually my nails started to break easily. That was the only problem, however, it took months for my nails to return to normal. If you notice any problems with your nails or think your fingers/hands are ageing from the UV light then maybe stop. If you haven't had any problems from them why stop?

Also, the UV light is pretty limited exposure, I doubt you are at much if any risk....I hope not anyway.

KneehighSocks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KneehighSocks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KneehighSocks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KneehighSocks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KneehighSocks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KneehighSocks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KneehighSocks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KneehighSocks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KneehighSocks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KneehighSocks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KneehighSocks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My nails were starting to get very weak and I was blaming shellac, but lately they've been very strong. All I can think is I've been upping my intake of omega 3 and fish and getting more protein in general. Could that be helping? Will have to google.

KneehighSocks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KneehighSocks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KneehighSocks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KneehighSocks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KneehighSocks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KneehighSocks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KneehighSocks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KneehighSocks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KneehighSocks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KneehighSocks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KneehighSocks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ok annoying forum won't let me post a link bc of my <50 post count but googled "omega 3 nails" and first hit is an article linking brittle nails to omega 3 deficiency.

Originally Posted by KneehighSocks View Post
    My nails were starting to get very weak and I was blaming shellac, but lately they've been very strong. All I can think is I've been upping my intake of omega 3 and fish and getting more protein in general. Could that be helping? Will have to google.

beautyworld is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Yep, that's right LisaSkinnoble...We have some many complications while we use Gel Manicure! But, only reason most of us prefer to have is, it lasting long beautifully. Apart from looking , we have to think about our healthy nails future. My preferable choice is to have different kinds of Manicure for nails, these will give you look and doesn't effect you much!

ayaansa is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I guess gel manicures can lead to dehydration and thinning of the nail plate also it often leads to peeling, thin, breaking, discolored nails. sad to tell you that you better discontinue gel manicures