• Seattle

0 0%
  • Pitsrburg

0 0%
  • Chicago

0 0%
  • Other

2 20.00%
    Pokarface has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pokarface has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pokarface has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pokarface has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pokarface has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pokarface has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pokarface has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pokarface has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pokarface has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pokarface has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pokarface has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

What's a moderately priced big city for college graduates?

I'm glad I will graduate this May and was looking for jobs in big cities with moderate rent prices and liberal atmosphere.
    I'm avoiding NY and LA since I consider their rent prices very high. I am in the IT sector but the healthcare industry is also making use of people with IT educational background.

My main concerns in order of importance are:
    1.- Finding an entry-level job
    2.- Be able to pay for rent and utilities
    3.- Be around liberal people
    4.- Plenty of recreational activities

Crime rates are meh. I can just live in the 'good' part of the city to avoid dangers.
    Of course, I'm thinking of US cities ITT.
    Follow my juggernaut log @ http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135280071

tjhowley68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tjhowley68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tjhowley68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tjhowley68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tjhowley68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tjhowley68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tjhowley68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tjhowley68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tjhowley68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tjhowley68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tjhowley68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Pokarface View Post
    I'm glad I will graduate this May and was looking for jobs in big cities with moderate rent prices and liberal atmosphere.
    I'm avoiding NY and LA since I consider their rent prices very high. I am in the IT sector but the healthcare industry is also making use of people with IT educational background.

My main concerns in order of importance are:
    1.- Finding an entry-level job
    2.- Be able to pay for rent and utilities
    3.- Be around liberal people
    4.- Plenty of recreational activities

Crime rates are meh. I can just live in the 'good' part of the city to avoid dangers.
    Of course, I'm thinking of US cities ITT.
    How about you go where you can find a job? Economy is shiet even for people with a degree. As for your "qualifications" look into the Northwest. Cost of living is kinda high, but pay is raised as well. IMO find somewhere that gives you good experience and then you can move where ever you want. I live in Mass, depending on how far out of Boston you are there are several cities that decent priced to live in (remember cost of living is high, but state is above federal minimum wage, meaning everything else is increased.) If you rather look into a healthcare infrastructure Northeast has dense population=high need to medical care. Every state has pockets of "liberal" people and "conservative" people. But as I said, if you want the "hey can't we all just be friends and have orgy's" then to Washington you go.

steventheisen is on a distinguished road. (+10) steventheisen is on a distinguished road. (+10) steventheisen is on a distinguished road. (+10) steventheisen is on a distinguished road. (+10) steventheisen is on a distinguished road. (+10) steventheisen is on a distinguished road. (+10) steventheisen is on a distinguished road. (+10) steventheisen is on a distinguished road. (+10) steventheisen is on a distinguished road. (+10) steventheisen is on a distinguished road. (+10) steventheisen is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Minneapolis here, job market is strong and we have little unemployement. Rent varies from cheap to super expensive and everywhere inbetween. You could split rent and get around $420/month, or you can spend around $1200 for a pretty good college graduate-level place. There's also good transportation options in/out of our city. We have lots of light rail under construction. In a year we will have the Light Rail from st. paul to MPLS. That alone can save you tons in commuting costs. Not to mention St. Paul has some very good 1 BRs for around $750/month for a solid newer unit.

As far as crime, as long as you don't hang out with shady people, nearly any part of MN isn't bad, despite North Suburban Minneapolis' reputation. A dusting of common sense, ie. not walking around cluelessly at 1am by yourself, you'll be fine. Also warehouse district can be sketchy at late times in the evening hours(I mean evening, evening like past 10PM-5AM), again though, just travel with 2 or more people and no one will mess with you.

As far as during the day, MPLS is nearly crime-free for Middle/upper class individuals. All the trouble I see/hear about tends to be with gang activity and similar low-income type crime.
    Follow me on Instagram: Steveo763

colbytim will become famous soon enough. (+50) colbytim will become famous soon enough. (+50) colbytim will become famous soon enough. (+50) colbytim will become famous soon enough. (+50) colbytim will become famous soon enough. (+50) colbytim will become famous soon enough. (+50) colbytim will become famous soon enough. (+50) colbytim will become famous soon enough. (+50) colbytim will become famous soon enough. (+50) colbytim will become famous soon enough. (+50) colbytim will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Career goals and other goals lead to a great fit in Boston. Tons of jobs up your alley there, plus the seasons are great. You can shoot for loving in Cambridge or Somerville for about 700 for a nice room in an apt w a roomte.
    current stack - bio forge/orange triad/WF/Xtend/Isopure/oximega

Pokarface has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pokarface has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pokarface has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pokarface has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pokarface has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pokarface has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pokarface has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pokarface has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pokarface has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pokarface has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pokarface has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by tjhowley68 View Post
    How about you go where you can find a job? Economy is shiet even for people with a degree. As for your "qualifications" look into the Northwest. Cost of living is kinda high, but pay is raised as well. IMO find somewhere that gives you good experience and then you can move where ever you want. I live in Mass, depending on how far out of Boston you are there are several cities that decent priced to live in (remember cost of living is high, but state is above federal minimum wage, meaning everything else is increased.) If you rather look into a healthcare infrastructure Northeast has dense population=high need to medical care. Every state has pockets of "liberal" people and "conservative" people. But as I said, if you want the "hey can't we all just be friends and have orgy's" then to Washington you go.
    Yes, in that list. I will consider whichever will get me the job and allows me to pay its lifestyle, hence why Manhattan, LA are not on the list.
    I do want to get experience but I am afraid to settle in a city without experiencing life in the big cities (just being young and having a high-expectations-are-high mentality). That's why I don't mind paying a little bit extra to be in a cheap or moderately priced big city while at the same time I am avoiding astronomically priced cities like LA and NY (Although I've heard Seattle and Boston should also be out of my league). Lol, what's up with the bold text?

Originally Posted by steventheisen View Post
    Minneapolis here, job market is strong and we have little unemployement. Rent varies from cheap to super expensive and everywhere inbetween. You could split rent and get around $420/month, or you can spend around $1200 for a pretty good college graduate-level place. There's also good transportation options in/out of our city. We have lots of light rail under construction. In a year we will have the Light Rail from st. paul to MPLS. That alone can save you tons in commuting costs. Not to mention St. Paul has some very good 1 BRs for around $750/month for a solid newer unit.

As far as crime, as long as you don't hang out with shady people, nearly any part of MN isn't bad, despite North Suburban Minneapolis' reputation. A dusting of common sense, ie. not walking around cluelessly at 1am by yourself, you'll be fine. Also warehouse district can be sketchy at late times in the evening hours(I mean evening, evening like past 10PM-5AM), again though, just travel with 2 or more people and no one will mess with you.

As far as during the day, MPLS is nearly crime-free for Middle/upper class individuals. All the trouble I see/hear about tends to be with gang activity and similar low-income type crime.
    Thanks for the insight of the city.
    So far I'm considering:

1- Austin. Since I'm in Texas
    2- Chicago. I've heard good things about it
    3- Atlanta. It seems I have better odds of finding the job here
    4- Houston. Terrible weather, infinite traffic lanes, no outdoor activities but fine arts and night life instead. Ridiculously cheap

Wildcard = Minneapolis and Kansas City.

I started last month applying for entry-level jobs at Houston and Austin. I'll follow with the other ones on the list this week.
    Is there anything negative you can think of why to consider Minneapolis over the other cities?
    I'm hesitant to move to Houston. Been there, humid as the gulf of Mexico. Nobody wants to go outside on summer.

Originally Posted by colbytim View Post
    Career goals and other goals lead to a great fit in Boston. Tons of jobs up your alley there, plus the seasons are great. You can shoot for loving in Cambridge or Somerville for about 700 for a nice room in an apt w a roomte.
    Boston is sweet, but I heard it might be out-of-my-league as an entry level professional. I've checked consumer price indexes to verify this, but I don't know how terribly can this affect my life. At the best case scenario, I just spend a couple of thousands more and still enjoy a moderate lifestyle.
    Follow my juggernaut log @ http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135280071

bump to gather more results

sicky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sicky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sicky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sicky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sicky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sicky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yes, in that list. I will consider whichever will get me the job and allows me to pay its lifestyle, hence why Manhattan, LA are not on the list.
    I do want to get experience but I am afraid to settle in a city without experiencing life in the big cities (just being young and having a high-expectations-are-high mentality). That's why I don't mind paying a little bit extra to be in a cheap or moderately priced big city while at the same time I am avoiding astronomically priced cities like LA and NY (Although I've heard Seattle and Boston should also be out of my league). Lol, what's up with the bold text?

Thanks for the insight of the city.
    So far I'm considering:

1- Austin. Since I'm in Texas
    2- Chicago. I've heard good things about it
    3- Atlanta. It seems I have better odds of finding the job here
    4- Houston. Terrible weather, infinite traffic lanes, no outdoor activities but fine arts and night life instead. Ridiculously cheap

Wildcard = Minneapolis and Kansas City.
    Austin is awesome. Atlanta sucks in cost of living. I'm currently in Nashville and this area is pretty good on cost of living.

Originally Posted by sicky View Post
    Austin is awesome. Atlanta sucks in cost of living. I'm currently in Nashville and this area is pretty good on cost of living.
    I have to keep looking into consumer price indexes. Have you lived in New Orleans/ baton rouge?

sicky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sicky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sicky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sicky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sicky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sicky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have to keep looking into consumer price indexes. Have you lived in New Orleans/ baton rouge?
    Yes, both are awful. I moved to Nashville from BR a few years ago and love it up here.

colbytim will become famous soon enough. (+50) colbytim will become famous soon enough. (+50) colbytim will become famous soon enough. (+50) colbytim will become famous soon enough. (+50) colbytim will become famous soon enough. (+50) colbytim will become famous soon enough. (+50) colbytim will become famous soon enough. (+50) colbytim will become famous soon enough. (+50) colbytim will become famous soon enough. (+50) colbytim will become famous soon enough. (+50) colbytim will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What about Portland ?

Originally Posted by colbytim View Post
    What about Portland ?
    I'm considering this since it's in the middle of two tech states, Ca and Wa. I hope they get some IT jobs because of that.

Yes, both are awful. I moved to Nashville from BR a few years ago and love it up here.
    Thanks for the insight. They sounded like 'cool' cities. Specially when alcohol 24/7 is almost legal in those two =-p

Brb cutting (no emo) 2.0Tsunami's Avatar
    2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000)
    dafuq? ATL is pretty cheap. I've been here for 1.5 years now. I initially picked Atlanta as my selection but didn't notice you already lived in TX. Being entry level, that will be the biggest the you have going against you. You would probably have better luck getting a job in Austin unless you have a friend who will let you use their address on your resume. Plus, you will have to pay to move yourself. Don't expect any relocation expenses.
    "Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid." -Basil King

Originally Posted by 2.0Tsunami View Post
    dafuq? ATL is pretty cheap. I've been here for 1.5 years now. I initially picked Atlanta as my selection but didn't notice you already lived in TX. Being entry level, that will be the biggest the you have going against you. You would probably have better luck getting a job in Austin unless you have a friend who will let you use their address on your resume. Plus, you will have to pay to move yourself. Don't expect any relocation expenses.
    Yeah, Austin will be my first selection since I did my undergrad in Texas. I was not expecting a relocation bonus though xD
    I have some money saved and only 5k in loans, so moving expenses are covered ;-)

Brb cutting (no emo) 2.0Tsunami's Avatar
    2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yeah, Austin will be my first selection since I did my undergrad in Texas. I was not expecting a relocation bonus though xD
    I have some money saved and only 5k in loans, so moving expenses are covered ;-)
    Most companies won't even look at you if your address on your resume isn't local. I started getting lots more hits when I used my friend's address. Good luck!
    "Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid." -Basil King

Originally Posted by 2.0Tsunami View Post
    Most companies won't even look at you if your address on your resume isn't local. I started getting lots more hits when I used my friend's address. Good luck!
    I believe you, specially since I will graduate from a no-name University. It will be more difficult. But I managed to get a high GPA and graduate with Honors. Let's see if it was worth it. Thanks for the advice, I have a friend in Austin and I'll ask him if it's ok to use his address. I might ask someone from the misc too if I can use theirs in case I apply out of state.

kman3b18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman3b18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman3b18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman3b18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman3b18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman3b18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman3b18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman3b18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman3b18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman3b18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman3b18 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Born and raised in Chicago, haved lived in San Francisco for a year and currently live in Philadelphia, so I have a good perspective.

First off, I'm pretty experienced with locations in the US (have visited LA, NYC, DC mutiple times), and IMO Chicago and San Francisco are far and away the nicest cities to live in with the nicest people, outdoor activities, college grads and relevant nightlife. Downside is that these two cities are expensive. Without a good job in San Fran you essentially have to live like a homeless person, and in Chicago good neighborhoods are quite pricey, with rent ~$1,000/month with a roommate.

As far as Philadelphia, I can vouch for it. I was a bit taken aback by the east coast, specifically Philadelphia, people when I first moved here, but they grow on you. There is a certain standoffishness about them, but they warm up, especially when you make a solid group of friends. Also, depending on the neighborhood of Philly, you can a decent place with a roommate for 600-700/month, all utilities included. Also, in general, things are much cheaper in Philly than Chicago or San Fran (gas, groceries, restaurants). Also, many people don't know that Philly is the 5th largest city in the US, so there is quite a lot to do and a lot of history, plus a ton of college grads.

GL with wherever you go.

edit: also, I just read that you are in the IT sector, and there are a lot of jobs like that around the tri-state Philly area. I work in pharma, and a nicely qualified IT grad can land a very good job in this sector if not a total whackjob like a lot of IT grads are.

Originally Posted by kman3b18 View Post
    Born and raised in Chicago, haved lived in San Francisco for a year and currently live in Philadelphia, so I have a good perspective.

First off, I'm pretty experienced with locations in the US (have visited LA, NYC, DC mutiple times), and IMO Chicago and San Francisco are far and away the nicest cities to live in with the nicest people, outdoor activities, college grads and relevant nightlife. Downside is that these two cities are expensive. Without a good job in San Fran you essentially have to live like a homeless person, and in Chicago good neighborhoods are quite pricey, with rent ~$1,000/month with a roommate.

As far as Philadelphia, I can vouch for it. I was a bit taken aback by the east coast, specifically Philadelphia, people when I first moved here, but they grow on you. There is a certain standoffishness about them, but they warm up, especially when you make a solid group of friends. Also, depending on the neighborhood of Philly, you can a decent place with a roommate for 600-700/month, all utilities included. Also, in general, things are much cheaper in Philly than Chicago or San Fran (gas, groceries, restaurants). Also, many people don't know that Philly is the 5th largest city in the US, so there is quite a lot to do and a lot of history, plus a ton of college grads.

GL with wherever you go.

edit: also, I just read that you are in the IT sector, and there are a lot of jobs like that around the tri-state Philly area. I work in pharma, and a nicely qualified IT grad can land a very good job in this sector if not a total whackjob like a lot of IT grads are.
    Thanks everyone for your input. I have gathered enough comment from here and the Misc forum to make an informed decision. Wish me luck =-)

So what's the decision?