Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    RepinOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) RepinOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) RepinOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) RepinOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) RepinOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) RepinOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) RepinOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) RepinOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) RepinOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) RepinOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) RepinOut is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by satoups View Post
    Meal 1
    Oat meal with almonds / protein powder / supplements

Meal 2
    Greek yogurt with almonds and 1/2 scoop protein / one piece of fruit

Meal 3
    Chicken Breast / Rice

Meal 4
    chicken with one piece of fruit

Pre workout / 1MR or C4
    Post workout / protein with water

Meal 5
    Chicken Breast or fish or lean beaf / rice

Meal 6
    Greek yogurt with almonds and 1/2 scoop protein

All meals with water or tea

approx; 240 protein / 50 fats / 190 carbs / 2100 - 2500 calories
    Your contest photos look great man. you have awesome size. I am going to have to catch up with you and fitallpaul.

Registered User BB-archeologist's Avatar
    BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have a fairly unique approach to contest prep dieting in that I use a carb depletion/super-compensation technique, mainly as a result of having a high sensitivity to carbohydrates and responding better to a low carb regimen. I’ve tried getting into contest-shape on a higher and more steady supply of carbohydrates but can't seem to get quite lean enough. You’ll also note that on Saturdays I eat anything and everything I can get my hands on. This not only keeps me sane through the endless weeks of prep, but I also find that it kickstarts my metabolism back into high gear and the following day I always look vascular, full and tight, with no spill over. My fat loss also responds better to eating small meals all the time (every 1.5-2 hours), hence the total number of meals (8-9) consumed throughout the day. I eat constantly and rarely get hungry. Though considered quite the antithesis of the diet programs that many preach about on this site, this approach works incredibly well for me and my body, and proves that there is, in fact, more than one way to skin the proverbial cat. I’m currently 16 days out and this is what it looks like:

Low Carb Days (Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday)
    0345 – 1 Scoop Protein
    0600 – 4 Whole Eggs, 6 egg whites
    0730 – Small Bag Beef Jerky, 1 Can Chicken
    0930 – 1 Can Chicken
    1200 – Chicken Breast or Steak, Raw Vegetables
    1430 – 2 Scoops Protein
    1600 – 1 Can Chicken
    1730 – Chicken Breast or Steak, Steamed Vegetables
    2000 – 2 Scoops Protein

Complex Carb Day (Wednesday)
    0345 – 1 Scoop Protein, ½ Cup Oatmeal
    0600 – 8 Egg Whites, ½ Cup Oatmeal
    0930 – Chicken Sandwich on Wheat Bread
    1200 – Chicken Breast, ½ Cup Oatmeal
    1430 – Chicken Sandwich on Wheat Bread
    1600 – 1 Can Chicken
    1730 – Chicken Breast, Steamed Vegetables
    2000 – 2 Scoop Protein

Open Window/Super-Compensation Day (Saturday)
    Eat Everything in Sight! Minimum 6,000 calories.

GymRat128 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GymRat128 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GymRat128 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GymRat128 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GymRat128 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GymRat128 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GymRat128 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GymRat128 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GymRat128 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GymRat128 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GymRat128 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by fltallpaul View Post
    There are many ways to get lean. Early on I was looking in choosing a coach who took the most effective approach for me. Anyone can create a diet where you eliminate one of the macro nutrients and lose fat. The most effective diets reduce things in proportion and allow hormones to remain healthy.
    Excellent post, at the end, we all want to do it the right and healthy way.

satoups will become famous soon enough. (+50) satoups will become famous soon enough. (+50) satoups will become famous soon enough. (+50) satoups will become famous soon enough. (+50) satoups will become famous soon enough. (+50) satoups will become famous soon enough. (+50) satoups will become famous soon enough. (+50) satoups will become famous soon enough. (+50) satoups will become famous soon enough. (+50) satoups will become famous soon enough. (+50) satoups will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by RepinOut View Post
    Your contest photos look great man. you have awesome size. I am going to have to catch up with you and fitallpaul.
    Thanks, as you can see I was holding water. I brought on water in the last 24 hours. Its been 25 years since I competed last year so there is a learning curve lol. Anyway I have it all charted out for this year.
    I am 14 weeks out this week!

Hitting a little legs today

germyy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great thread!!! Repped!

RepinOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) RepinOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) RepinOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) RepinOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) RepinOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) RepinOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) RepinOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) RepinOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) RepinOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) RepinOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) RepinOut is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Now that we have several diets posted lets' start to get some pictures of the before and after affect of the diet and the shedding process. Fitallpaul gave a good example. As soon as I have enough post to add pics I will do so as well. LOL.

After looking back at this contest I was honestly kind of ashamed. I was likely the leanest I had ever been but not lean at all by competition standards. Anyway, here you go.

JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I started with about 2500 calories 219/250/69 carbs/pro/fat and ended with 2250 cals 196carbs/225protein/62fat. I did lower fat higher carb weekly refeeds with maintenance calories as well. I ate a pretty big variety of foods, but mainly lean proteins and complex carbs.
    IFPA/PNBA Natural Pro Bodybuilder
    P4P Muscle Sponsored Athlete
    Fitness and Nutrition Programs www.Payhip.com/JulianBrownFitness
    www.JulianBrownTraining.com
    www.********.com/Julianbrownpersonaltraining
    www.dailymotion.com/julian11453
    www.Twitter.com/Jbtraining
    www.askthetrainer.com/author/julianbrown/

Great work man. Seems like your diet is perfect for leaning out slowly while maintaining your current level of muscle.

JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Great work man. Seems like your diet is perfect for leaning out slowly while maintaining your current level of muscle.
    Thanks bro. I started out relatively lean before this prep

How do you all fight those late night cravings?

I'm usually not home from work til around 7-7:30ish so my dinner is usually late 7:30ish-8ish and I'm in bed by 9:30ish so I'm sleep before I'd have a chance to have late night cravings lol

saylee559 is on a distinguished road. (+10) saylee559 is on a distinguished road. (+10) saylee559 is on a distinguished road. (+10) saylee559 is on a distinguished road. (+10) saylee559 is on a distinguished road. (+10) saylee559 is on a distinguished road. (+10) saylee559 is on a distinguished road. (+10) saylee559 is on a distinguished road. (+10) saylee559 is on a distinguished road. (+10) saylee559 is on a distinguished road. (+10) saylee559 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I hit a stage where I had metabolic damage and it totally threw off my cutting :/ I haven't been posting but just reading up everyday helps, thanks guys. I'm back on schedule.

2700 calorie spread

337 grams protein
    202.5 grams carbs
    60 grams fat
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/body-transformation-triple-digit-shred.html.

Psalm 16:8

I keep my eyes always on the Lord. With Him .at my right hand, i will not be shaken.

saylee559 is on a distinguished road. (+10) saylee559 is on a distinguished road. (+10) saylee559 is on a distinguished road. (+10) saylee559 is on a distinguished road. (+10) saylee559 is on a distinguished road. (+10) saylee559 is on a distinguished road. (+10) saylee559 is on a distinguished road. (+10) saylee559 is on a distinguished road. (+10) saylee559 is on a distinguished road. (+10) saylee559 is on a distinguished road. (+10) saylee559 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    How do you all fight those late night cravings?
    I eat a can of tuna if I already had my shake :/ some shun it but it works for me..
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/body-transformation-triple-digit-shred.html.

Psalm 16:8

I keep my eyes always on the Lord. With Him .at my right hand, i will not be shaken.

i like marshmallow DJaRiHardstyle's Avatar
    DJaRiHardstyle is just really nice. (+1000) DJaRiHardstyle is just really nice. (+1000) DJaRiHardstyle is just really nice. (+1000) DJaRiHardstyle is just really nice. (+1000) DJaRiHardstyle is just really nice. (+1000) DJaRiHardstyle is just really nice. (+1000) DJaRiHardstyle is just really nice. (+1000) DJaRiHardstyle is just really nice. (+1000) DJaRiHardstyle is just really nice. (+1000) DJaRiHardstyle is just really nice. (+1000) DJaRiHardstyle is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by saylee559 View Post
    I hit a stage where I had metabolic damage and it totally threw off my cutting :/ I haven't been posting but just reading up everyday helps, thanks guys. I'm back on schedule.

2700 calorie spread

337 grams protein
    202.5 grams carbs
    60 grams fat
    how did you figure you had metabolic damage? doctor?

i'm afraid i have this, from my contest prep. i've been dieting for 16.5 weeks from a really dirty bulk, went from 5k cals to 1700.... i have most of the symptoms of metabolic damage but not sure. thanks bro!

oh and are you cutting now?
    My website:
    NoFluffStrength.com
    Never sensational. Always real.

Currently just coming off of a show; follow my offseason log:
    Mindfulness, Mastery, and Muscle - DJaRiHardstyle's Offseason Mission
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172199513&pagenumber=

Originally Posted by DJaRiHardstyle View Post

i'm afraid i have this, from my contest prep. i've been dieting for 16.5 weeks from a really dirty bulk, went from 5k cals to 1700.... i have most of the symptoms of metabolic damage but not sure. thanks bro!

5k cals?!?!?!? How did that workout? i have never truly done a real dirty bulk. Do you think it was effective?

I stole this from the carb loading explained forum but this by far the best write up on carb loading I have ever seen.

Carb Depletion and Loading

What is the goal of it?

Carb depletion & loading is process that bodybuilders using it in the last week before the competition .The reason to deplete carbs is to lose water that is beneath the skin and losing every glycogen molecule in your muscles cells (because the glycogen process needs water to perform it) to make the muscles more definite and look hard but after you deplete your carbs your muscles will be look flat (depletion process) and then it comes time to load. This means you have to eat carbs to replenish your glycogen stores in your muscles and make them fuller and tighter with less water under the skin (loading process).

Note: the goal of this process is to reduce body-fluids (water). Many Competitors practice the technique of water depletion. Water depletion consists of reducing one's liquid intake to practically nothing as they approach the contest. Not only is this practice very dangerous, it is also ineffective. Muscle tissue consists of 70% water. If one restricts water intake drastically, they will lose muscle fullness and appear flat onstage. In addition, reducing water will increase the likelihood of muscle cramps while onstage (this happens quite frequently and is very embarrassing). Some competitors believe water is what causes them to appear smooth. This is not the case. Water retention intracellularly (inside the cell) will cause one appear hard and full. Subcutaneous (under the skin) water retention however, causes one look smooth. When the body senses a drastic restriction in water intake it will release anti-diuretic hormones that cause subcutaneous water retention. This makes physiological sense: the body senses it is not getting enough water and releases hormones that cause water retention to prevent dehydration. So that is the most important phase when preparing for a contest

How to start:

Depletion phase:

If your competition is on Saturday then I would do it like this:

Sunday-start deplete
    Monday-keep depleting
    Tuesday-last day of depletion
    In this time. Sodium play comes to mind. Some people sodium load, which is when they raise there sodium up to about 4g 15 days before a show and then cut it out on Wednesday. Water is the trickiest thing. But at about 10 days out, add another gallon to whatever you’re drinking. This gives it a diuretic effect. You see, when you take in so much water, you have to put out so much water. But once you cut the water out, your body still puts out that much water. Hope that makes sense to you the way I explained it. So the way water goes is like this. Let’s assume that you’re drinking a gallon a day just to keep it simple.

10 days out-up water to 2 gallons.
    1st carb deplete day-keep it at 2 gallons.
    Tuesday-stay at two gallons
    Wednesday-do 1.5 gallons
    Thurs-1 gallon
    Friday-try for no water, but if you feel you need it, take some sips now and then.
    Saturday-show day, no water.

Loading process:

Wednesday-start carb load, cut most sodium out of your diet
    Thursday-keep loading, keep the sodium out
    Friday-cut water out and keep eating low sodium carbs
    Saturday- wake up early, see if you need more carbs, if you do eat, if you don’t, don’t eat, you will just get bloated
    Note: in the competition day try to eat simple carbs which act faster than the complex carbs. Also, the night before the show, at about 10:00 PM, you might try to eat something like a cheeseburger or some pizza, the sodium at this time will fill out all of your muscles and also get rid of some water, but sometiems it can backfire, so do this at your own risk.

Training in this process:
    Don’t train anywhere near failure. You don’t want to be sore. Once you begin your carb depletion start working out with program similar to this one.

Back-3 sets x 15-20
    Chest-3 sets x 15-20
    Do chest and back like a super set.

Then do
    Shoulers/arm/triceps-2 sets x15-20
    Do these in like a tri-set.

Hams/calves-3 sets x 15-20
    Do these in like a super set.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    And now let us see this process from Professional
    Nutritionist point view:

heavy loading By Chris Aceto "an illustration to carbs deplete process"

The process creates a temporary illusion. It's a "quick fix" that allows a bodybuilder to appear a lot harder by virtue of fuller-looking muscles combined with less water retention.

Whether you're a bodybuilder who wants a quick fix to sharpen your physique for a contest or just for a trip to the beach, these are the steps to deplete and then supercharge your body with carb loading. You may be shocked by how much better and bigger you'll look in just one week.

Step No.1
    Preprogram:
    Increase sodium intake
    - In the week prior to starting your carb-cutting program, boost your intake of sodium - plain table salt. The simplest way to do this is to sprinkle salt on all of your meals. Elevating sodium increases water retention in the body and decrease the water - retention hormone aldosterone. Remain with the higher than usual sodium intake until one day before carbing up during the program (In step 7). When you suddenly reduce your sodium intake at that time, and while aldosterone levels readjust, your body will excrete even more water - most of it directly from beneath the skin. This will lead to greater definition.

Step No. 2
    Preprogram: Increase water intake:
    When you increase sodium. It's important to take in roughly 50% more water than usual. That is, every time you would normally have a cup of water, make it a cup and a half, so that by the end of the day, you've boosted your fluid intake by 50%. Greater water intake sets up the body for greater definition at the end of the process. Maintain this intake until you reach step 10.

Step No. 3
    Day 1-2: drop carbs 50%
    Here's when the carb cutting program really begins. Drop your carb consumption by 50%. This first drop will help prevent the shock of taking your carb count too low too quickly. If you were previously eating approximately 1500 calories from carbs per day ( about normal for a 200 pounds bodybuilder who consumes 3000 calories a day for bodyweight maintenance), then cut your total carb intake to 200 grams per day, focusing mostly on complex carbs, early in the day. Still, for these two days, maintain your pre- and post-workout nutrition simple carbs at approximately 50 grams, divided between those two meals.

Step No. 4
    Days 1-5; mildly increase protein
    Some people go wrong at this step. When carbs drop, you must increase protein consumption to prevent muscle breakdown. However, if you increase your protein intake too much, a lot of that extra protein is burned as fuel, sparing the body from emptying its glycogen stores. Therefore, to experience the muscle-saving effect of extra protein without inhibiting the depletion of glycogen stores, elevate your protein intake only by about 50 grams daily on each lower carb day. A 200 pound bodybuilder who normally eats a gram of protein per pounds of bodyweight should consume about 250 grams of protein during this phase.

Step No. 5
    Days 1-5: train with high reps
    When depleting carbs for five days, you should train with higher reps 12 to 20 per set and performs 50% more steps than normal. For example, if you perform 10 sets for biceps go to 15 sets (50% more volume work) and aim for 12 - 20 reps per set. Of course you have to decrease the weight in order to hit that volume. However, the goal here is to lower carb reserves, and volume work is tremendously effective in doing so. It all goes back to super-compensation. The more carbs you can deplete, the greater amount you can store during the carb up process, leading to bigger and tighter- looking muscles.

Step No. 6
    Days 3-5: further deplete carbs
    On these days, drop your carbohydrate intake to 100-150 per day, emphasizing complex carbs sources, such as yams, oatmeal and brown rice. Take three in early in the day and target about .7 g of carbs per pound of bodyweight (a 200 pound bodybuilder should take in about 140 grams of carbs daily). When carbs drop, reserves of glycogen begin to decline. As glycogen decreases, the body begins to pump up its production of glycogen storing enzymes. When you later pack in greater quantities of carbs, those carb storing enzymes will help pack away these additional carbs as new glycogen, yielding fuller looking muscles.

Step No.7 Days 5-7: reduce Sodium
    The day before adding carbs back, drop the additional salt you've been putting on your food. When sodium levels decline, you'll experience changes in aldosterone that favor water excretion and a tighter look. You needn't zero out your sodium intake. Cutting all the extra sodium should be enough of drop.

Step No.8
    Days 6-7: carb up
    Now the fun begins, after five days of depleting carbs, along with performing volume work, your muscle will be tremendously low in fuel, screaming to be replenished. When you switch to a high carb intake, much of what you consume will be directly stored in your muscles. I suggest eating 3 grams of carbs per pounds of bodyweight daily, minimum, and up to 5 grams per pounds for those with a faster metabolism or those who weigh more than 220 pounds. Avoid using fruits and sucrose (table sugar) or high fructose corn syrup. Starchy complex carb sources are ideal, and good choices include potatoes, sweet potatoes, oatmeal, pasta, white rice and brown rice.

Step No. 9
    Days 6-7: Reduce protein consumption
    When you're carbing up, you can drop the added protein of step 4. This follows the simple edict that carbs and protein work like a sea-saw. When carbs drop, you have to eat more protein; when carbs dramatically increase, you don't need the added protein. Take in just a gram of protein per pounds of bodyweight on each of these days.

Step No. 10
    Days: 6-7: Reduce water intake
    In step 2, you increased water intake. Now, reduce it to 50% what you would normally have on any given day prior to step 2. If, for example, you would usually drink a gallon of water, reduce that to half a gallon. Since carbohydrates require water to make new muscle glycogen, many people assume that they have to drink like a thirsty camel to make glycogen. Not so, because in the face of restricted water and increased carbs, muscles make up for the water shortfall by dragging some from under the skin into the muscles. The results is less subcutaneous water retention and harder looking physique.

Step No. 11:
    Days 6-7: take it easy and don't train
    As a rule of thumb, when carbing up, it's best not to train, as that siphons off some of the incoming carbohydrates, preventing an optimal carb - up and fuller muscles. This might be why many bodybuilders appear fuller a few days after a competition. The days off allow for optimal compensation of carbohydrates. In fact, avoid energy expenditure as much as possible to allow your muscles to fill up.

Step No. 12
    Day 7: pump up and take pictures
    Pump up your muscles a bit right before you step onstage, do a photo shoot or strip off your shirt to impress people. Use light weights (or isometric movements) and go through a full range of motion, feeling the stretch, contraction and pump. Keep reps low - you don't want to burn up carbs.
    On this day, you maybe in the best condition of your life. Have some one take pictures of you to capture the moment and to use as a record of comparison for the next time you carb deplete and carb load. Photographically documenting your condition and muscle mass is a great way to determine that you are continuing to progress as a bodybuilder.

I keep hearing I need to raise my CHO levels and my good fats. I take fish oil and eat avacado but I still don't seem to be getting enough. Any suggestions?

EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by DJaRiHardstyle View Post

What are your symptoms? MD may not be something doctors are aware of and it would be incredibly difficult to diagnose it. Most often, people with MD have fully functioning adrenals. MD is when you gain FAT exponentially in relation to the # of calories you're eating during the day. Happens a ton when people prep aggressively with hours and hours of cardio, minimal carbs, and low overall kcal. The longer your prep, the worse it is.

I keep hearing I need to raise my CHO levels and my good fats. I take fish oil and eat avacado but I still don't seem to be getting enough. Any suggestions?
    Olive/coconut oil, nuts/nut butters

Thanks. I have been meaning to pick up some almonds.

dbanj is on a distinguished road. (+10) dbanj is on a distinguished road. (+10) dbanj is on a distinguished road. (+10) dbanj is on a distinguished road. (+10) dbanj is on a distinguished road. (+10) dbanj is on a distinguished road. (+10) dbanj is on a distinguished road. (+10) dbanj is on a distinguished road. (+10) dbanj is on a distinguished road. (+10) dbanj is on a distinguished road. (+10) dbanj is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by BB-archeologist View Post
    I have a fairly unique approach to contest prep dieting in that I use a carb depletion/super-compensation technique, mainly as a result of having a high sensitivity to carbohydrates and responding better to a low carb regimen. I’ve tried getting into contest-shape on a higher and more steady supply of carbohydrates but can't seem to get quite lean enough. You’ll also note that on Saturdays I eat anything and everything I can get my hands on. This not only keeps me sane through the endless weeks of prep, but I also find that it kickstarts my metabolism back into high gear and the following day I always look vascular, full and tight, with no spill over. My fat loss also responds better to eating small meals all the time (every 1.5-2 hours), hence the total number of meals (8-9) consumed throughout the day. I eat constantly and rarely get hungry. Though considered quite the antithesis of the diet programs that many preach about on this site, this approach works incredibly well for me and my body, and proves that there is, in fact, more than one way to skin the proverbial cat. I’m currently 16 days out and this is what it looks like:

Low Carb Days (Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday)
    0345 – 1 Scoop Protein
    0600 – 4 Whole Eggs, 6 egg whites
    0730 – Small Bag Beef Jerky, 1 Can Chicken
    0930 – 1 Can Chicken
    1200 – Chicken Breast or Steak, Raw Vegetables
    1430 – 2 Scoops Protein
    1600 – 1 Can Chicken
    1730 – Chicken Breast or Steak, Steamed Vegetables
    2000 – 2 Scoops Protein

Complex Carb Day (Wednesday)
    0345 – 1 Scoop Protein, ½ Cup Oatmeal
    0600 – 8 Egg Whites, ½ Cup Oatmeal
    0930 – Chicken Sandwich on Wheat Bread
    1200 – Chicken Breast, ½ Cup Oatmeal
    1430 – Chicken Sandwich on Wheat Bread
    1600 – 1 Can Chicken
    1730 – Chicken Breast, Steamed Vegetables
    2000 – 2 Scoop Protein

Open Window/Super-Compensation Day (Saturday)
    Eat Everything in Sight! Minimum 6,000 calories.
    0345 ? you can't be serious? what happens if you oversleep by 2 mins?

simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    A tablespoon of coconut, olive, or macadamia nut oil a few times a day,fattier cuts of beef, salmon, whole eggs...and as as suggested above raw nuts and/or nut butters. Lots of great options for added fats.....vary them as they all offer different profiles and benefits.
    Athletic Xtreme Sponsored Athlete-TEAM AX
    Quest Protein Bar Athlete
    Nutrient Sciences/Kymera Energy Rep
    2012 Team Universe MW Champion
    Member Team USA 2012 IFBB Worlds-Ecuador

Registered User BB-archeologist's Avatar
    BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by dbanj View Post
    0345 ? you can't be serious? what happens if you oversleep by 2 mins?
    The universe rips apart at the seams.
    2014 MR. ALASKA - PRO

Natural Pro Bodybuilder

"Flannel is more than a material, it's a lifestyle."

NeAtEnD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NeAtEnD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Meal 1: 25g protein shake
    Meal 2: Banana 50g protein shake
    Meal 3: Flounder 8 oz plus 40 grams of rice
    Meal 4: Tilapia 6 oz plus veggies
    Meal 5: chicken breast 8 oz
    Meal 6: Varies ie. Chicken breast 6 oz

How much do you all tend to cut your carbs? I have been told that I should drop my protein and increase my carbs. Mine are down around 110 to 160g in a day with a refeed day that takes them about 200. My daily protein sits in between 240 and 280 a day though.

runninmom will become famous soon enough. (+50) runninmom will become famous soon enough. (+50) runninmom will become famous soon enough. (+50) runninmom will become famous soon enough. (+50) runninmom will become famous soon enough. (+50) runninmom will become famous soon enough. (+50) runninmom will become famous soon enough. (+50) runninmom will become famous soon enough. (+50) runninmom will become famous soon enough. (+50) runninmom will become famous soon enough. (+50) runninmom will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    So this is basically how my coach had me do my final week, in the only contest I competed in...however I've seen this technique critiqued by many people...are there other ways??? is the second scenario suggesting to take in less water, but not completely cutting it??
    I stole this from the carb loading explained forum but this by far the best write up on carb loading I have ever seen.

Carb Depletion and Loading

What is the goal of it?

Carb depletion & loading is process that bodybuilders using it in the last week before the competition .The reason to deplete carbs is to lose water that is beneath the skin and losing every glycogen molecule in your muscles cells (because the glycogen process needs water to perform it) to make the muscles more definite and look hard but after you deplete your carbs your muscles will be look flat (depletion process) and then it comes time to load. This means you have to eat carbs to replenish your glycogen stores in your muscles and make them fuller and tighter with less water under the skin (loading process).

Note: the goal of this process is to reduce body-fluids (water). Many Competitors practice the technique of water depletion. Water depletion consists of reducing one's liquid intake to practically nothing as they approach the contest. Not only is this practice very dangerous, it is also ineffective. Muscle tissue consists of 70% water. If one restricts water intake drastically, they will lose muscle fullness and appear flat onstage. In addition, reducing water will increase the likelihood of muscle cramps while onstage (this happens quite frequently and is very embarrassing). Some competitors believe water is what causes them to appear smooth. This is not the case. Water retention intracellularly (inside the cell) will cause one appear hard and full. Subcutaneous (under the skin) water retention however, causes one look smooth. When the body senses a drastic restriction in water intake it will release anti-diuretic hormones that cause subcutaneous water retention. This makes physiological sense: the body senses it is not getting enough water and releases hormones that cause water retention to prevent dehydration. So that is the most important phase when preparing for a contest

How to start:

Depletion phase:

If your competition is on Saturday then I would do it like this:

Sunday-start deplete
    Monday-keep depleting
    Tuesday-last day of depletion
    In this time. Sodium play comes to mind. Some people sodium load, which is when they raise there sodium up to about 4g 15 days before a show and then cut it out on Wednesday. Water is the trickiest thing. But at about 10 days out, add another gallon to whatever you’re drinking. This gives it a diuretic effect. You see, when you take in so much water, you have to put out so much water. But once you cut the water out, your body still puts out that much water. Hope that makes sense to you the way I explained it. So the way water goes is like this. Let’s assume that you’re drinking a gallon a day just to keep it simple.

10 days out-up water to 2 gallons.
    1st carb deplete day-keep it at 2 gallons.
    Tuesday-stay at two gallons
    Wednesday-do 1.5 gallons
    Thurs-1 gallon
    Friday-try for no water, but if you feel you need it, take some sips now and then.
    Saturday-show day, no water.

Loading process:

Wednesday-start carb load, cut most sodium out of your diet
    Thursday-keep loading, keep the sodium out
    Friday-cut water out and keep eating low sodium carbs
    Saturday- wake up early, see if you need more carbs, if you do eat, if you don’t, don’t eat, you will just get bloated
    Note: in the competition day try to eat simple carbs which act faster than the complex carbs. Also, the night before the show, at about 10:00 PM, you might try to eat something like a cheeseburger or some pizza, the sodium at this time will fill out all of your muscles and also get rid of some water, but sometiems it can backfire, so do this at your own risk.

Training in this process:
    Don’t train anywhere near failure. You don’t want to be sore. Once you begin your carb depletion start working out with program similar to this one.

Back-3 sets x 15-20
    Chest-3 sets x 15-20
    Do chest and back like a super set.

Then do
    Shoulers/arm/triceps-2 sets x15-20
    Do these in like a tri-set.

Hams/calves-3 sets x 15-20
    Do these in like a super set.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    And now let us see this process from Professional
    Nutritionist point view:

heavy loading By Chris Aceto "an illustration to carbs deplete process"

The process creates a temporary illusion. It's a "quick fix" that allows a bodybuilder to appear a lot harder by virtue of fuller-looking muscles combined with less water retention.

Whether you're a bodybuilder who wants a quick fix to sharpen your physique for a contest or just for a trip to the beach, these are the steps to deplete and then supercharge your body with carb loading. You may be shocked by how much better and bigger you'll look in just one week.

Step No.1
    Preprogram:
    Increase sodium intake
    - In the week prior to starting your carb-cutting program, boost your intake of sodium - plain table salt. The simplest way to do this is to sprinkle salt on all of your meals. Elevating sodium increases water retention in the body and decrease the water - retention hormone aldosterone. Remain with the higher than usual sodium intake until one day before carbing up during the program (In step 7). When you suddenly reduce your sodium intake at that time, and while aldosterone levels readjust, your body will excrete even more water - most of it directly from beneath the skin. This will lead to greater definition.

Step No. 2
    Preprogram: Increase water intake:
    When you increase sodium. It's important to take in roughly 50% more water than usual. That is, every time you would normally have a cup of water, make it a cup and a half, so that by the end of the day, you've boosted your fluid intake by 50%. Greater water intake sets up the body for greater definition at the end of the process. Maintain this intake until you reach step 10.

Step No. 3
    Day 1-2: drop carbs 50%
    Here's when the carb cutting program really begins. Drop your carb consumption by 50%. This first drop will help prevent the shock of taking your carb count too low too quickly. If you were previously eating approximately 1500 calories from carbs per day ( about normal for a 200 pounds bodybuilder who consumes 3000 calories a day for bodyweight maintenance), then cut your total carb intake to 200 grams per day, focusing mostly on complex carbs, early in the day. Still, for these two days, maintain your pre- and post-workout nutrition simple carbs at approximately 50 grams, divided between those two meals.

Step No. 4
    Days 1-5; mildly increase protein
    Some people go wrong at this step. When carbs drop, you must increase protein consumption to prevent muscle breakdown. However, if you increase your protein intake too much, a lot of that extra protein is burned as fuel, sparing the body from emptying its glycogen stores. Therefore, to experience the muscle-saving effect of extra protein without inhibiting the depletion of glycogen stores, elevate your protein intake only by about 50 grams daily on each lower carb day. A 200 pound bodybuilder who normally eats a gram of protein per pounds of bodyweight should consume about 250 grams of protein during this phase.

Step No. 5
    Days 1-5: train with high reps
    When depleting carbs for five days, you should train with higher reps 12 to 20 per set and performs 50% more steps than normal. For example, if you perform 10 sets for biceps go to 15 sets (50% more volume work) and aim for 12 - 20 reps per set. Of course you have to decrease the weight in order to hit that volume. However, the goal here is to lower carb reserves, and volume work is tremendously effective in doing so. It all goes back to super-compensation. The more carbs you can deplete, the greater amount you can store during the carb up process, leading to bigger and tighter- looking muscles.

Step No. 6
    Days 3-5: further deplete carbs
    On these days, drop your carbohydrate intake to 100-150 per day, emphasizing complex carbs sources, such as yams, oatmeal and brown rice. Take three in early in the day and target about .7 g of carbs per pound of bodyweight (a 200 pound bodybuilder should take in about 140 grams of carbs daily). When carbs drop, reserves of glycogen begin to decline. As glycogen decreases, the body begins to pump up its production of glycogen storing enzymes. When you later pack in greater quantities of carbs, those carb storing enzymes will help pack away these additional carbs as new glycogen, yielding fuller looking muscles.

Step No.7 Days 5-7: reduce Sodium
    The day before adding carbs back, drop the additional salt you've been putting on your food. When sodium levels decline, you'll experience changes in aldosterone that favor water excretion and a tighter look. You needn't zero out your sodium intake. Cutting all the extra sodium should be enough of drop.

Step No.8
    Days 6-7: carb up
    Now the fun begins, after five days of depleting carbs, along with performing volume work, your muscle will be tremendously low in fuel, screaming to be replenished. When you switch to a high carb intake, much of what you consume will be directly stored in your muscles. I suggest eating 3 grams of carbs per pounds of bodyweight daily, minimum, and up to 5 grams per pounds for those with a faster metabolism or those who weigh more than 220 pounds. Avoid using fruits and sucrose (table sugar) or high fructose corn syrup. Starchy complex carb sources are ideal, and good choices include potatoes, sweet potatoes, oatmeal, pasta, white rice and brown rice.

Step No. 9
    Days 6-7: Reduce protein consumption
    When you're carbing up, you can drop the added protein of step 4. This follows the simple edict that carbs and protein work like a sea-saw. When carbs drop, you have to eat more protein; when carbs dramatically increase, you don't need the added protein. Take in just a gram of protein per pounds of bodyweight on each of these days.

Step No. 10
    Days: 6-7: Reduce water intake
    In step 2, you increased water intake. Now, reduce it to 50% what you would normally have on any given day prior to step 2. If, for example, you would usually drink a gallon of water, reduce that to half a gallon. Since carbohydrates require water to make new muscle glycogen, many people assume that they have to drink like a thirsty camel to make glycogen. Not so, because in the face of restricted water and increased carbs, muscles make up for the water shortfall by dragging some from under the skin into the muscles. The results is less subcutaneous water retention and harder looking physique.

Step No. 11:
    Days 6-7: take it easy and don't train
    As a rule of thumb, when carbing up, it's best not to train, as that siphons off some of the incoming carbohydrates, preventing an optimal carb - up and fuller muscles. This might be why many bodybuilders appear fuller a few days after a competition. The days off allow for optimal compensation of carbohydrates. In fact, avoid energy expenditure as much as possible to allow your muscles to fill up.

Step No. 12
    Day 7: pump up and take pictures
    Pump up your muscles a bit right before you step onstage, do a photo shoot or strip off your shirt to impress people. Use light weights (or isometric movements) and go through a full range of motion, feeling the stretch, contraction and pump. Keep reps low - you don't want to burn up carbs.
    On this day, you maybe in the best condition of your life. Have some one take pictures of you to capture the moment and to use as a record of comparison for the next time you carb deplete and carb load. Photographically documenting your condition and muscle mass is a great way to determine that you are continuing to progress as a bodybuilder.
    I want muscle...

This is maturity: To be able to stick with a job until it's finished; to do one's duty without being supervised; to be able to carry money without spending it; and to be able to bear an injustice without wanting to get even.

Gonna givr hell on July26 NaturalproMJG's Avatar
    NaturalproMJG will become famous soon enough. (+50) NaturalproMJG will become famous soon enough. (+50) NaturalproMJG will become famous soon enough. (+50) NaturalproMJG will become famous soon enough. (+50) NaturalproMJG will become famous soon enough. (+50) NaturalproMJG will become famous soon enough. (+50) NaturalproMJG will become famous soon enough. (+50) NaturalproMJG will become famous soon enough. (+50) NaturalproMJG will become famous soon enough. (+50) NaturalproMJG will become famous soon enough. (+50) NaturalproMJG will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Mundungus View Post
    ^^^ drinking milk, fruit juice and eating fruit has no bearing on how you look, especially cutting them that far out. It comes down to cals in vs cals out and YOUR macros. If you can fit milk, juice, fruits, pop tarts, ice cream, etc into your daily macros then it doesn't really matter. The only caveat to that is watching sodium when you get close to comp time and how you handle carbing up to look your best on comp day without spilling over.

Basically the foods you eat don't matter if you are hitting your macros. Everyone is different so set your macros and gauge progress to make adjustments. Listen to guys like FitPaul - I think his pics speak for themselves and I'm know he was still enjoying some good food during prep!
    Couldn't agree more
    Personal Trainer and contest prep coach
    Natural Bodybuilder {}-----{}
    www.martyswaypersonaltraining.com
    Instagram : marty_gabriele
    Pinterest : Marty's Way Personal Training

Originally Posted by runninmom View Post
    So this is basically how my coach had me do my final week, in the only contest I competed in...however I've seen this technique critiqued by many people...are there other ways??? is the second scenario suggesting to take in less water, but not completely cutting it??
    I have been seeking further guidance on the water piece of it as well. I am seeing several different views on it, but I do know that completely cutting it is bad.

gaso95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaso95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaso95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaso95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaso95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaso95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaso95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaso95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaso95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaso95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaso95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Really really good thread!

Came in seeking for some opinions. Maintenance is around 3400/3500 and bf 11% and im trying to lower it to 8 or 9%. Im doing 3 days low carbs-1 day high

Im already on week 2. Do you think im gonna be sucessful?

this is my diet:

Low High cardio

week 1: 312p\425hc\65f 3530kcal | 300p\475hc\65f 3685kcal | 20min 3xweek

week 2: 319p\400hc\65f 3460kcal | 290p\485hc\65f 3685kcal | 20min 3xweek

week 3: 325p\375hc\65f 3385kcal | 285p\500hc\60f 3680kcal | 25min 3xweek

week 4: 332p\350hc\65f 3315kcal | 275p\520hc\60f 3720kcal | 25min 3xweek

week 5: 339p\325hc\65f 3240kcal | 270p\530hc\55f 3695kcal | 25min 4xweek

week 6: 345p\300hc\65f 3165kcal | 265p\545hc\55f 3735kcal | 25min 4xweek

thanks
    Orgulho em ser Portuguκs, caralho !

Fode-te FMI

Originally Posted by gaso95 View Post
    Really really good thread!

Came in seeking for some opinions. Maintenance is around 3400/3500 and bf 11% and im trying to lower it to 8 or 9%. Im doing 3 days low carbs-1 day high

Im already on week 2. Do you think im gonna be sucessful?

this is my diet:

Low High cardio

week 1: 312p\425hc\65f 3530kcal | 300p\475hc\65f 3685kcal | 20min 3xweek

week 2: 319p\400hc\65f 3460kcal | 290p\485hc\65f 3685kcal | 20min 3xweek

week 3: 325p\375hc\65f 3385kcal | 285p\500hc\60f 3680kcal | 25min 3xweek

week 4: 332p\350hc\65f 3315kcal | 275p\520hc\60f 3720kcal | 25min 3xweek

week 5: 339p\325hc\65f 3240kcal | 270p\530hc\55f 3695kcal | 25min 4xweek

week 6: 345p\300hc\65f 3165kcal | 265p\545hc\55f 3735kcal | 25min 4xweek

thanks

How much do you weigh? And how much of a deficit are you creating daily?