Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Eggwhites will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eggwhites will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eggwhites will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eggwhites will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eggwhites will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eggwhites will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eggwhites will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eggwhites will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eggwhites will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eggwhites will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eggwhites will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Anyone have pics from the 1980 Olympia?

I'm looking for pics of the 1980 Olympia to see what the controversy was all about.

Thanks

kcb5150 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kcb5150 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kcb5150 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kcb5150 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kcb5150 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kcb5150 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kcb5150 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kcb5150 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kcb5150 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kcb5150 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kcb5150 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Why not just dl the film off of torrent or limewire?

a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by kcb5150 View Post
    Why not just dl the film off of torrent or limewire?
    if you're talking about "total rebuild" then I'll chime in. It's an OK doc. the problem is that it's supposed to show Arnold as a hero and still the king of BB which was not really the case at this show. They pretty much skip Metzer from what i remember and legend has it that the crowd was none to happy when arnold won-there was booing that's edited out of Total Rebuild.

Mitchell5879 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mitchell5879 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mitchell5879 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you search youll prolly find plenty of picks on here.

Millah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Millah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Millah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Millah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Millah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Millah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Millah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Millah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Millah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Millah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Millah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    1980 Top 7 Lineup
    Attached Images
    "There is no point in being alive if you cannot do the deadlift"
    J�n P�ll Sigmarsson

Insert custom user title mark118's Avatar
    mark118 is just really nice. (+1000) mark118 is just really nice. (+1000) mark118 is just really nice. (+1000) mark118 is just really nice. (+1000) mark118 is just really nice. (+1000) mark118 is just really nice. (+1000) mark118 is just really nice. (+1000) mark118 is just really nice. (+1000) mark118 is just really nice. (+1000) mark118 is just really nice. (+1000) mark118 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by a-dog View Post
    if you're talking about "total rebuild" then I'll chime in. It's an OK doc. the problem is that it's supposed to show Arnold as a hero and still the king of BB which was not really the case at this show. They pretty much skip Metzer from what i remember and legend has it that the crowd was none to happy when arnold won-there was booing that's edited out of Total Rebuild.
    I don't see it personally. Mentzer doesn't look any better than arnold.

I Am Teh Lolrus stealth_swimmer's Avatar
    stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by a-dog View Post
    Are you kidding me? I heard cheering when Arnold was on stage. the crowd was crazy. Besides, Mentzer was NOT EVEN CLOSE to winning that show so I don't see what he was whining about(R.I.P.). Zane did place unfairly high though and he even admitted it himself cus he had a leg injury close to the show.

TequilaSunrise has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TequilaSunrise has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TequilaSunrise has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TequilaSunrise has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TequilaSunrise has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TequilaSunrise has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TequilaSunrise has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think you gotta watch it and I think arnold only won by half a point, Im not quite sure on that. But point is that he wasnt that great that night and really didnt deserve that win.

chenko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chenko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chenko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chenko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chenko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chenko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chenko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chenko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chenko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chenko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chenko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by stealth_swimmer View Post
    Are you kidding me? I heard cheering when Arnold was on stage. the crowd was crazy. Besides, Mentzer was NOT EVEN CLOSE to winning that show so I don't see what he was whining about(R.I.P.). Zane did place unfairly high though and he even admitted it himself cus he had a leg injury close to the show.
    Are you kidding me? I wasnt there but i have talked with those who were and whilst there was cheering for Arnold whilst he was posing due to his celeb status. There was alot of booing at the shafting Mentzer got. Arnold should not have one the show. If you need any ideas on why he did, refer to Serge's similar experience with the Weider gang.

porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Will this argument ever die? I guess not. There will always be those who beleive that Mentzer should have won, and there will always be those who believe that Arnold should have won...

Just like there will always be people who believe that Ronnie should have won, and there will always be those who beleive that Jay should have won...

Test-Freak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Test-Freak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Test-Freak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Test-Freak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Test-Freak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Test-Freak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Test-Freak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Test-Freak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Test-Freak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Test-Freak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Test-Freak has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by chenko View Post
    Are you kidding me? I wasnt there but i have talked with those who were and whilst there was cheering for Arnold whilst he was posing due to his celeb status. There was alot of booing at the shafting Mentzer got. Arnold should not have one the show. If you need any ideas on why he did, refer to Serge's similar experience with the Weider gang.

Celeb,? lol this isn't 1995, this is 1980.

What "Conan the Bore-barian."?

lol, Arnold looks better then anyone on the stage, Zane's legs to tiny, and the guy on the far left looks like he is 12 weeks out.
    *Ron Paul 2008*

No PMs for sourcing, i won't respond.

Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Test-Freak View Post
    Celeb,? lol this isn't 1995, this is 1980.

What "Conan the Bore-barian."?

lol, Arnold looks better then anyone on the stage, Zane's legs to tiny, and the guy on the far left looks like he is 12 weeks out.

I think MM looks like the winner, JMO.

The guy on the left is Boyer Coe. He had a severe abdominal deficiency. His abdominal wall had no sepapration, so it doesn't get any better than they were in the pic. He was cut.

Number69 is just really nice. (+1000) Number69 is just really nice. (+1000) Number69 is just really nice. (+1000) Number69 is just really nice. (+1000) Number69 is just really nice. (+1000) Number69 is just really nice. (+1000) Number69 is just really nice. (+1000) Number69 is just really nice. (+1000) Number69 is just really nice. (+1000) Number69 is just really nice. (+1000) Number69 is just really nice. (+1000)

Colin, but insightful

Mohammed Ali would get a louder cheer than Klitchko if they stepped into a ring together, but it doesn't necessarily reflect their objective skill levels

Same way Ruhl is one of the best supported athletes but let's be honest, he won't win an O. Arnie was the most popular bodybuilder there, no doubt, but I don't know if he should have won.

For those who haven't seen Total Rebuild, it is actually very vague, for want of a better word, as to the competitors' appearance. There are very few extended shots or comparisons between the athletes so it is quite hard to accurately make up your mind. Maybe this is because they realise that to make it mainstream you want to show less man ass, maybe it was because they realised Arnie was gifted the victory. Either way, it is hard to judge from that video.

I personally think Mentzer had a far more complete physique and better conditioning but that was still when bodybuilding was in a transitional phase from Arnold's dominance and the era of the exaggerated beach body to 1983 when conditioning and overall proportionality came to the fore. 1976 to 1982 was probably the worst era in terms of depth of competition and it took Haney in 1984 to really drag the sport forward again. During his reign he defeated Gaspari, Labrada, Strydom, Christian, Ray, Yates, Fox, Bannout, Quinn - the list goes on.

Cliffs:
    -Total Rebuild is not a good basis for accurately judging the physiques, there were few comparative shots of the athletes.
    -The reasons for this could be Arnie was gifted or to make it more mainstream.
    -Bodybuilding was in a transitional era and the competition must be viewed in that light.
    Carlsberg don't do sexy, but if they did...

Test-Freak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Test-Freak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Test-Freak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Test-Freak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Test-Freak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Test-Freak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Test-Freak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Test-Freak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Test-Freak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Test-Freak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Test-Freak has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Anabolism1000 View Post
    I think MM looks like the winner, JMO.

The guy on the left is Boyer Coe. He had a severe abdominal deficiency. His abdominal wall had no sepapration, so it doesn't get any better than they were in the pic. He was cut.

Mike IMO didn't have it, R.I.P

Boyer shouldn't be onstage then.
    *Ron Paul 2008*

No PMs for sourcing, i won't respond.

stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

agreed.
    Arnold certainly wasn't at his best, but he was still good enough to EARN the win.

rusty hands make me happy goodLIFT's Avatar
    goodLIFT is on a distinguished road. (+10) goodLIFT is on a distinguished road. (+10) goodLIFT is on a distinguished road. (+10) goodLIFT is on a distinguished road. (+10) goodLIFT is on a distinguished road. (+10) goodLIFT is on a distinguished road. (+10) goodLIFT is on a distinguished road. (+10) goodLIFT is on a distinguished road. (+10) goodLIFT is on a distinguished road. (+10) goodLIFT is on a distinguished road. (+10) goodLIFT is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    agreed.
    Arnold certainly wasn't at his best, but he was still good enough to EARN the win.
    indeed

Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Boyer had some of the best biceps of all time, but that's about it. I always admired his tenacity fighting the losing battle against less than ideal genetics. JMO.

agreed.
    I don't necessarily agree, but one of the problems Arnold had was comparisons with his condition in the earlier wins. He was so much better. Arnold was the absolute master of bbing politics though which I think contributed a lot to him winning that year. JMO.

Above average aas abuser. sikboy's Avatar
    sikboy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sikboy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sikboy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sikboy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sikboy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sikboy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sikboy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sikboy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sikboy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sikboy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sikboy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Anabolism1000 View Post
    Arnold was the absolute master of bbing politics though which I think contributed a lot to him winning that year. JMO.
    In the end, that is what wins shows IMO.
    Recip's Fierce Crew!!!!

If i cant be the best i can be, i dont want to be.

Who we are is but a stepping stone to what we can become.

IM THE NEGGERNAUT BITCH!!

DONT PM ME ABOUT WHERE TO GET GEAR OR ANCILLARIES, I DONT KNOW YOU AND I WILL FORWARD YOUR PM TO A MOD!

I am immortal
    I have inside me blood of kings
    I have no rival
    No man can be my equal
    Take me to the future of new earth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnrXiaPVeHY

Originally Posted by sikboy View Post
    Darrem has won shows, Dexter has won shows, Dave Henry came close, Toney Freeman has won(after being overlooked for a bit)...

it's much more than politics that wins shows.

plus Arnold was a great poser who knew how the emphasize his strengths and hide his weaknesses.

sikboy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sikboy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sikboy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sikboy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sikboy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sikboy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sikboy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sikboy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sikboy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sikboy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sikboy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Darrem has won shows, Dexter has won shows, Dave Henry came close, Toney Freeman has won(after being overlooked for a bit)...

it's much more than politics that wins shows.

plus Arnold was a great poser who knew how the emphasize his strengths and hide his weaknesses.
    I mean the top show, of course you have to be the best to even compete in the top show, the Mr O, but a lot of back stabbing and politics goes on behind the scenes, Arnold was such a huge name in bb at the time, that he could come back after 5 years, not be in top shape, good shape yes, top shape no and he wins the show, he was also behind most of the other competitors ranking so low, he just had that much pull.
    Recip's Fierce Crew!!!!

DONT PM ME ABOUT WHERE TO GET GEAR OR ANCILLARIES, I DONT KNOW YOU AND I WILL FORWARD YOUR PM TO A MOD!

I am immortal
    I have no rival
    No man can be my equal

I mean the top show, of course you have to be the best to even compete in the top show, the Mr O, but a lot of back stabbing and politics goes on behind the scenes, Arnold was such a huge name in bb at the time, that he could come back after 5 years, not be in top shape, good shape yes, top shape no and he wins the show, he was also behind most of the other competitors ranking so low, he just had that much pull.
    I agree 100% with your comments sikboy.

Also, politics became a great factor that year because Arnold was such a great politician. (Need proof Stealth Swimmer, he's Governor of CA today).

And it would take a great politician to win a Mr. O if you came in without the best body. I'm sure politics exist today, but no one today is a great enough politician to pull off a win, so the best body, more-or-less, prevails.

Welcome to "life"!

Just want to add that 1980 was the only year that was EXTREMELY controversial, and the reason is that Arnold clearly didn't have the best body. The controversy existed for a good reason. There has of course been other controversy like the 2001 Mr. O, but the top two guys were both so good, and so close, that it was difficult to feel outraged like in 1980. Who can be outraged that Ronnie won in 2001?

Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000)
    IMO the only reason the 1980 Mr Olympia was so controvertial is because the contestants were just angry about Arnold entering the competition. You figure a contestant sees a guy whos been out of bodybuilding for over 4 years, is a movie star, and entered past the deadline the contestant naturally is going to have some angry feelings NO MATTER WHAT CONDITION ARNOLD LOOKED LIKE. Then you add in Arnold wasnt at his best it further increases the above. I think the contestants were just angry about this and found reasons to object to the results of the show. If Arnold competed every year between 1975 and 1980 and wasnt in show biz then I dont think it would have been a controversy at all.

It would be like if Coleman retires, comes back in 2012 and wins, people are gonna talk no matter how he looks. Imo Arnold looked the best of the lineup. The classic 7 man front picture isnt a good comparison because Arnold wasnt even fully in a pose there unlike the others. I dont think Mentzer had him, while Arnold distinctly has Mentzer on Arms/Chest/Calves I dont see any area Mentzer distinctly has Arnold on. Mentzers physique as a whole is more blocky and his posing wasnt as sharp.

Imo the OLympia that should be most disputed is 2001 with Cutler and Coleman. This controversy isnt just bull**** and jealousy like 1980 theres actually solid reasoning behind it.

Smile

Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    IMO the only reason the 1980 Mr Olympia was so controvertial is because the contestants were just angry about Arnold entering the competition. You figure a contestant sees a guy whos been out of bodybuilding for over 4 years, is a movie star, and entered past the deadline the contestant naturally is going to have some angry feelings NO MATTER WHAT CONDITION ARNOLD LOOKED LIKE. Then you add in Arnold wasnt at his best it further increases the above. I think the contestants were just angry about this and found reasons to object to the results of the show. If Arnold competed every year between 1975 and 1980 and wasnt in show biz then I dont think it would have been a controversy at all.

It would be like if Coleman retires, comes back in 2012 and wins, people are gonna talk no matter how he looks. Imo Arnold looked the best of the lineup. The classic 7 man front picture isnt a good comparison because Arnold wasnt even fully in a pose there unlike the others. I dont think Mentzer had him, while Arnold distinctly has Mentzer on Arms/Chest/Calves I dont see any area Mentzer distinctly has Arnold on. Mentzers physique as a whole is more blocky and his posing wasnt as sharp.

Imo the OLympia that should be most disputed is 2001 with Cutler and Coleman. This controversy isnt just bull**** and jealousy like 1980 theres actually solid reasoning behind it.
    And the controversy continues.

http://www.getbig.com/results/e-mroly.htm

"When the top five were called out, things started to get bad. Mike Menzter in 5th place. The judges had to be joking. Mike was in the prime of his bodybuilding career, better than last years Olympia. Mike would say later "So ludicrous was the decision that, really; all I could do was laugh. I will tell you, somebody out there really wanted me crushed out completely". Boyer's reaction was a little different. "Is there no justice" Boyer demanded to know as he sent chairs flying into walls. Frank Zane accepted his trophy with a calmer demeanor, yet later shattered his trophy into hundreds of pieces by hurling it to the asphalt of the opera house parking lot. Dickerson accepted second place with a sharp "Oh no", and vanished into the night."

"And Arnold. Arnold was bood by over 40% of the 2000 fans in the opera house. All 15 competitors are unanimous in their beleif that slecting Arnold was a bad decision on the part of the judges. Even the CBS Sports crew were shocked, expecting Mike Mentzer as the champion. Even Bill Pearl (who did not vote), said he would never have picked Arnold. "
    Last edited by sikboy; 02-20-2007 at 10:53 AM.
    Recip's Fierce Crew!!!!

I am immortal
    I have no rival
    No man can be my equal

MassIsAhead is just really nice. (+1000) MassIsAhead is just really nice. (+1000) MassIsAhead is just really nice. (+1000) MassIsAhead is just really nice. (+1000) MassIsAhead is just really nice. (+1000) MassIsAhead is just really nice. (+1000) MassIsAhead is just really nice. (+1000) MassIsAhead is just really nice. (+1000) MassIsAhead is just really nice. (+1000) MassIsAhead is just really nice. (+1000) MassIsAhead is just really nice. (+1000)
    Side line up
    Attached Images

MassIsAhead is just really nice. (+1000) MassIsAhead is just really nice. (+1000) MassIsAhead is just really nice. (+1000) MassIsAhead is just really nice. (+1000) MassIsAhead is just really nice. (+1000) MassIsAhead is just really nice. (+1000) MassIsAhead is just really nice. (+1000) MassIsAhead is just really nice. (+1000) MassIsAhead is just really nice. (+1000) MassIsAhead is just really nice. (+1000) MassIsAhead is just really nice. (+1000)
    Front

EDIT Sorry I am not sure this is from 80, maybe 81 or something? 82??
    Attached Images
    Last edited by MassIsAhead; 02-20-2007 at 10:03 AM.

Mike and Arnold
    Attached Images