JamesRanceo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

College Football!

Hello,

I've posted a few times on other related threads, but haven't had much in the way of feedback. Maybe a independent thread is more viable.

Essentially, my dream is to play D1 college football. Now, before I get harassment from a load of forum members, I am aware that there are hundreds/thousands that have the same ambition(s) as i do. Maybe, what separates me, at least in my opinion is my willingness to succeed. I always think about it as this - one chance at playing college football, go at it, and see where it gets you. You can drink/party/enjoy girls of easy virtue in later life..

So, I'm 18 currently, and living in the UK. I'm in my last year of school (equiv of senior year for the US educational system), 6,2, 190lbs. I'm taking a gap year (basically, a year out after i finish 6th form), obviously as the majority of 2013 graduating college football candidates, if not all have signed with the D1 teams. My first question is this - Am i still eligible for D1 scholarship's, even if I look to en roll in Fall 2014, or would I be too old/any other regulations that the NCAA have dreamt up that end up restricting me?

I guess the biggest 'X-factor' question that I would appreciate being answered is the way to go about really attracting some attention, getting in shape (Yes, I've read the football FAQs), and preparing to give myself the best possible chance at getting those all-important scholarship offer(s)?

Currently, I'm running a 4.37 40yds, got a max bench of around 285lbs (not going to list all gym-related figures as it's not about that) and hitting around 39inches on the vertical jump. Playing cornerback at the moment.. << Just a little rough information on my background, current standings.

Listen guys, as I stated, no one is going to take this away from me. This is my challenge, and I'd be more than grateful if people could give me the time of day, just to chip in some advice on it all.

My stance is nothing but one of utter grit, and determination:

Many thanks, and I look forward to a response.

James

Ggrodgers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ggrodgers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ggrodgers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ggrodgers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ggrodgers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ggrodgers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ggrodgers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ggrodgers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ggrodgers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ggrodgers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ggrodgers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    No age restrictions when it comes to D1 scholarships.

Source: http://athleticscholarships.com/scho...ts-guidelines/

How much (and what) experience do you have playing football?

jezadiah413 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jezadiah413 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jezadiah413 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jezadiah413 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jezadiah413 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jezadiah413 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jezadiah413 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

noticed

Speed and size sound good, however if you want to get noticed you might find it in your best interest to create a highlight tape of yourself and send it to multiple colleges, even a youtube video with the link.

Hi,

Many thanks for the response(s).

One quick question - When would (if at all, touch wood i do) i receive offer(s) from college's, bearing in mind that i finish school july 2013, and am then taking a year off (gap year) through to when i hope to enroll, which would be in September 2014. Really, if someone could give me a quick run-through of how my next 18 months should plan out, with regards to getting myself a D1 offer (got the plyometrics/conditioning sorted) , then that'd be great!

Once again, many thanks!

James

jezadiah413 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jezadiah413 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jezadiah413 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jezadiah413 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jezadiah413 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jezadiah413 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jezadiah413 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Im not professional and many could give better information, but I believe you ne d to start getting your highlights and info out asap so that they can do their research on you.

Niko49ers is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Niko49ers is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Niko49ers is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Niko49ers is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Niko49ers is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Niko49ers is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Niko49ers is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Niko49ers is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Niko49ers is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Niko49ers is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Niko49ers is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    4.37 40-yard dash? Hmm... OP was that hand-timed or electronically timed?

Thats super fast if true.
    ..:: Sports Teams ::..
    -49ers
    -Buckeyes

..:: Gaming Names ::..
    -Runescape: Alex_Osu (banned, RIP) New RS Name: Molinus
    -Xbox Live: Rejecting_You

*KD Crew*

Originally Posted by Niko49ers View Post
    4.37 40-yard dash? Hmm... OP was that hand-timed or electronically timed?

Thats super fast if true.

Yes, it is true. Had two timer's to cross-reference scores. One had it at 4.35, and the other 4.37.. I assumed the first was off by a bit, so just took the second time.

Is it? Good enough for Cornerback in D1 football??

Regards,
    James

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    From time to time, guys get to make it directly to college ball from outside the US. Jesse Williams at Alabama comes to mind. In his case, he was scouted at our National Championships while playing for a state all-star team. I played for the All-Star team earlier than that and I was aware of other guys on the team being scouted by US colleges, as well.

So, my first question is do you have any big games where scouts are likely to be?

I know a couple of other guys who played D1 Football in the old days as well. They got agents to do their shopping around. Like the website posted earlier.

And you'll need that highlight tape.

You have an uphill battle compared with the guys in the States and I wish you well.

Originally Posted by krakkerz View Post
    From time to time, guys get to make it directly to college ball from outside the US. Jesse Williams at Alabama comes to mind. In his case, he was scouted at our National Championships while playing for a state all-star team. I played for the All-Star team earlier than that and I was aware of other guys on the team being scouted by US colleges, as well.

So, my first question is do you have any big games where scouts are likely to be?

I know a couple of other guys who played D1 Football in the old days as well. They got agents to do their shopping around. Like the website posted earlier.

And you'll need that highlight tape.

You have an uphill battle compared with the guys in the States and I wish you well.

Hi there,

Thanks for the great response!

Basically, I'll be playing in the regular season, with a club I'm a part of (unbeaten in the last 3 seasons + and regional champs successively). All matches/training will be filmed.

As for a highlight tape, I envisage getting someone to film all matches/training sessions (with the best parts compiled into the tape) along with a montage of clips with my NFL combine stats - Vertical Jump, Shuttle, 40yd dash, Squat(s), Bench etc.

I'll definitely be pro-active in my approach when looking at colleges. The majority (if not all) D1 colleges have all the coaches and their contact details, along with designated forms that you can fill out, if you're a prospective candidate.

Thanks for the support, touchwood, D1 football scholarships in less than 12 months will be flooding in!

Regards,
    James

OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by JamesRanceo View Post
    Yes, it is true. Had two timer's to cross-reference scores. One had it at 4.35, and the other 4.37.. I assumed the first was off by a bit, so just took the second time.

Regards,
    James
    If that holds up, then yes that's amazing. If you don't end up getting the football gig, there is absolutely no reason you shouldn't be running the 100m in track.
    People say all of this crap about genetics this, genetics that. I will never let genetics tell me what I can and cannot do..

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Hi there,

Thanks for the great response!

Basically, I'll be playing in the regular season, with a club I'm a part of (unbeaten in the last 3 seasons + and regional champs successively). All matches/training will be filmed.

As for a highlight tape, I envisage getting someone to film all matches/training sessions (with the best parts compiled into the tape) along with a montage of clips with my NFL combine stats - Vertical Jump, Shuttle, 40yd dash, Squat(s), Bench etc.

I'll definitely be pro-active in my approach when looking at colleges. The majority (if not all) D1 colleges have all the coaches and their contact details, along with designated forms that you can fill out, if you're a prospective candidate.

Thanks for the support, touchwood, D1 football scholarships in less than 12 months will be flooding in!

Regards,
    James
    I'd doubt your regional matches will get any direct attention of their own accord.

Have you looked at the BAFA Elite Player Program? It looks to be exactly the pathway for you.

Gfe919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gfe919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gfe919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gfe919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gfe919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gfe919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gfe919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gfe919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gfe919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gfe919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gfe919 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Regards,
    James
    A legit 4.37 would be considered elite speed for any position (rb, wr, cb...) at any level, including the NFL.

JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000)
    Look up the FBU camp that is held over in the UK, it's run by ex-NFL and college coaches and is a great scouting opportunity.

LukeTyson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Damn 4.37 is ****ing impressive. Good luck with everything.

Hi guys!

Listen, thanks so much for all the responses, really encouraging to hear - very grateful!

So, essentially, the 'combine' stats I have seem to be up to scratch, so now it's all to do with getting my name out there/tapes into rivals.com, and all the D1 college coaches & their affiliates? As I'm from the UK, this, I'm sure is easier said than done, but I'll give it my best shot!

Regards
    James

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    first off, you dont really runa 4.37 40. You would be a national level champion in your small country.
    Second, if you want to play Div I football, screw the gap year and get into a JUCO here in thestates and find out if you can actually play in pads.

Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    first off, you dont really runa 4.37 40. You would be a national level champion in your small country.
    Second, if you want to play Div I football, screw the gap year and get into a JUCO here in thestates and find out if you can actually play in pads.
    That could be the most undeserved denigration of the "small country" that essentially spawned yours ever.

Nonetheless,we've ascertained it is hand timed and would likely be closer to 4.6. A liitle reasearch would also indicate that the UK has a very good club level, fully kitted comp. Our comp in Australia is comparable to an average D2 program. The UK is better. I have no doubt he can play in pads.

As for your actual advice, I think it might be the best on the thread.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by krakkerz View Post
    That could be the most undeserved denigration of the "small country" that essentially spawned yours ever.

Nonetheless,we've ascertained it is hand timed and would likely be closer to 4.6. A liitle reasearch would also indicate that the UK has a very good club level, fully kitted comp. Our comp in Australia is comparable to an average D2 program. The UK is better. I have no doubt he can play in pads.

As for your actual advice, I think it might be the best on the thread.
    because in a country of 300 million people only a handful of 21 year olds will ever run a 4.37. So in a country with maybe a fifth of the US's population a 4.37 should by an 18 year old should pretty much rank him in the as the top under 21 sprinter in the UK.

Get pissed all you want but the UK is much smaller with a much smaller population than the US.

Pissed? No. Explaining the point? Yes. Did it work? Apparently not.

Hi there,

Seems to be a huge amount of responses with regards to my alleged 40yard time - Is it real? 'No, you can't run like that'.

You can think whatever you want, spew all you feel the need to on this thread, that's fine. My concern, and appreciation are for those who are posting constructive comments, and trying to help me achieve my goals, and aims.

I'm running a consistent 4.4/4.5 40 yrd (My quickest as previously stated was a 4.37).

If this is so controversial, then take all timings out of my original thread. As for for I'm here for, I'm still looking for the best ways to gain entry into D1 college football, despite being from the UK.

Once again, thanks to all those who have given my good advice so far!

Regards,
    James

Mate,

I wouldn't get wound up about that. It was a post obviously design to annoy you. Look at the guy's other posts to see that it's a habit.

His advice on JUCO is worth considering, though.

Hi there,

Many thanks for the response! Yeah, I'll take a look at JUCO, although i've been advised to go straight into university, as my GPA seems good enough for high-college entry. I am set to take my SAT's in December 2013.

As for anyone else reading, would love some more advice!

Thanks again

James

TheRealNumber2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRealNumber2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRealNumber2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRealNumber2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRealNumber2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRealNumber2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRealNumber2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRealNumber2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRealNumber2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRealNumber2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRealNumber2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Im also 18, playin Am Football in the UK at a junior level. What team are you currently playing for/ training with? You can run the fastest 40 in the world but it doesnt mean squat if you can't actually play. You should come to one of the GB team open training sessions over the next two months. Next one is on saturday in Doncaster. There are two more in Loughborough and Stirling in march. If your as fast as you say you are im sure the coaches would be very happy to take a look at you.

Derekdiruz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Derekdiruz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Derekdiruz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Derekdiruz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Derekdiruz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Derekdiruz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Derekdiruz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Derekdiruz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Derekdiruz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Derekdiruz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Derekdiruz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Advice is to keep working. My best friend played 9th grade football at 6'0" and 130. Then quit. Started working out. Then his second year of college he tried out for D1 football. He made the team. Didn't play much. Next year tryouts came around and he destroyed them. He now starts at 6'3" 205 as a wide out that runs a 4.47. The kid isn't AMAZING at football, but what he has is what you say you have. I have literally NEVER seen someone work as hard as this kid does for what he loves. Pouring rain, snow, mud, wind, cold...He'd still be outside pulling his sled down the street and running 40 starts.

Just keep at it. He did, it worked out.

If you do, it will.
    365D/305S/245B

Nothing special, but certainly improving.

Originally Posted by TheRealNumber2 View Post
    Im also 18, playin Am Football in the UK at a junior level. What team are you currently playing for/ training with? You can run the fastest 40 in the world but it doesnt mean squat if you can't actually play. You should come to one of the GB team open training sessions over the next two months. Next one is on saturday in Doncaster. There are two more in Loughborough and Stirling in march. If your as fast as you say you are im sure the coaches would be very happy to take a look at you.
    This reflects the advice I gave earlier. If you make the GB team, you'll be seen. This is how Jesse Williams shopped himself around (Qld & Australian team, obviously) and he'll go in the first round of this year's draft.