Parias1126 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Parias1126 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Parias1126 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Parias1126 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Parias1126 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Parias1126 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Parias1126 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Parias1126 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Parias1126 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Parias1126 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Parias1126 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Smile Thinking of moving the gym to HOME, but don't have a lot of space.

I joined the gym 4 months ago. My membership ends in April since I paid up front for 6 months only. Instead of dropping another $200 for another 6 months, I'm thinking of adding some equipment to a room that is an office for the time being. I have limited space since the rooms dimensions are 10X11. I already have a computer desk in one corner and an elliptical against one wall. I have some space available and am thinking maybe a bench and some dumbbells to start off. I originally wanted the squat rack,olympic sized barbells, etc., but not sure I can fit all that in this room.

I'm currently doing a upper/lower body split 3 days a week and cardio the other days. A lot of my workout consists of just dumbbells and a bench currently, but I would be losing out on the lat pulldown, weighted cable rows, and tricep pulldowns. I'm pretty sure I can figure out my leg workouts at home by doing some squats, etc instead of having to have a squat rack for now.

Anyway, I am currently down 97 pounds. I still have about 50 pounds to go and then I will really want to concentrate on more weight training to build more muscle and lose the last bit of body fat, tone up, etc. I just want to be able to get the same benefit of working out without hindering my progress working out at in the convenience of my own home. The kids will be home for the summer and it will make it more difficult to get to the gym. The gym is also 14 miles from my home one way so if I add the gas I'm spending driving to and from, I'm wasting a lot of money that could be put into something else (like equipment for home).

Is it possible to get enough equipment for home use utilizing a small space and still get an adequate workout? I would love to be able to not have to worry about wasting 50 minutes of my day driving to and from a gym, the time spent getting ready in the morning to go, and the gas to get there!

Any suggestions?

Common sense/moderation. gbullock32's Avatar
    gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Power cage and a decent bench, doesn't take up much space and gives a lot of options; add some dumbbells and maybe some other equipment to that and you're pretty much good to go (decent enough anyway).
    Short cuts to success are often paved with lies.
    1/13/16: Massive hernia.
    5/10/16: Finally back to lifting, light but improving.

Why Teens shouldn't cut/Lack of progress thread- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169272763&p=1397509823#post1397509823

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Parias1126 View Post
    Any suggestions?
    Ironmaster Super Bench: You can use it for bench press and dumbbell bench rows. There are a lot of other rowing exercises that you can do too with dumbbells, but I like dumbbell bench rows, and find that inclining the Super Bench to 20 degrees is perfect for me to be able to reach the floor to pick up the dumbbells yet still provide a full range of motion.

Get the Super Bench pull up bar attachment and do pull ups instead of lat pulldowns.

There are a variety of dumbbell exercises you can do to work your triceps. Heck, just doing overhead presses are pretty good. If you get the Ironmaster dip attachment, you can work your chest and triceps by doing dips.

It'll be hard to squat safely without a rack. Consider getting a trap bar instead. If you use small diameter plates, doing trap bar deadlifts, you'll get a range of motion similar to that of a squat. (I use 25lb plates with my trap bar.) The other option is to stand on a couple of stacked plates or some other suitable platform when using 45lb plates. A trap bar takes up little space when not in use. I just lean mine up against a wall.

Other options for working your legs are pistols and Bulgarian split squats.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I joined the gym 4 months ago. My membership ends in April since I paid up front for 6 months only. Instead of dropping another $200 for another 6 months, I'm thinking of adding some equipment to a room that is an office for the time being. I have limited space since the rooms dimensions are 10X11. I already have a computer desk in one corner and an elliptical against one wall. I have some space available and am thinking maybe a bench and some dumbbells to start off. I originally wanted the squat rack,olympic sized barbells, etc., but not sure I can fit all that in this room.

I'm currently doing a upper/lower body split 3 days a week and cardio the other days. A lot of my workout consists of just dumbbells and a bench currently, but I would be losing out on the lat pulldown, weighted cable rows, and tricep pulldowns. I'm pretty sure I can figure out my leg workouts at home by doing some squats, etc instead of having to have a squat rack for now.

Anyway, I am currently down 97 pounds. I still have about 50 pounds to go and then I will really want to concentrate on more weight training to build more muscle and lose the last bit of body fat, tone up, etc. I just want to be able to get the same benefit of working out without hindering my progress working out at in the convenience of my own home. The kids will be home for the summer and it will make it more difficult to get to the gym. The gym is also 14 miles from my home one way so if I add the gas I'm spending driving to and from, I'm wasting a lot of money that could be put into something else (like equipment for home).

Is it possible to get enough equipment for home use utilizing a small space and still get an adequate workout? I would love to be able to not have to worry about wasting 50 minutes of my day driving to and from a gym, the time spent getting ready in the morning to go, and the gas to get there!

Any suggestions?
    Well, considering how expensive your gym seems to be, $100 per month, adding the gas required to drive to and from, as well as the time wasted traveling, I personally feel training at home is not only economical, but better in a lot of ways.

That being said a lot of people need the atmosphere of a "gym" to stay consistent. Many people get some home equipment but it never gets used because one doesn't associate being home with doing exercise, so you never get started. As opposed to the gym, once you get there, there isn't anything else you can do, so they exercise.

Try to realistically see how much you could see yourself training at home. Don't lie to yourself either, because you're the only one who would pay the price.

For me, I have no problem training hard 4 times a week, by myself, in my garage. Although I prefer to train with training partners, training solo at home doesn't phase me at all. My brother however, needs the environment of the gym to get him into gear and would never train alone at home.

Take this into account so you can get an idea of how much you would want to invest.

That being said from a starting standpoint it all depends on how much you want to invest. I crunched the numbers of all the costs, including gas etc of going to a gym and came up with a dollar amount. This was how much it cost me per year to go my gym at the time. I knew the equipment I would need to do almost everything I could possibly want, and it came out to be around the cost of 2 years of membership at my gym. Granted, my gym was 30 a month, not 100.

So for me, that's how I came up with my budget. As long as I spent less than or equal to the cost of 2 years at a commercial gym, I would not only most likely save money, but I would save time and the ability to play my own music and shout and throw chalk etc.

I recommend making an excel spreadsheet and figuring out the actual costs. Take the MPG of your car, paired with roughly how much gas costs around you and you will get a number. I think you will be pretty surprised at how much you're spending. On membership alone over 2 years you would pay $2400, that's enough to set up a kick ass starter gym. That's not even including gas.

As for particulars. I think you would be frustrated if you only got dumbbells and a bench. You can't do a lot of exercises, especially for your lower body with DBs.

You don't need much space for a power rack and olympic barbell. Just roughly 8 feet of clearance in one direction and 3-4 feet deep of clearance.

Just to give you an idea of how much a set up would cost you NEW (keep in mind most people myself included by their weights and most of their equipment used whenever possible);
    Powerline PPR200x Power rack - $385 including shipping
    Troy 300 lbs Olympic Barbell Weight Set - $392 including shipping
    Rogue Utility Bench - $200 including shipping
    Lat Pulldown with Low Row attachment - $320 including shipping (can usually get one for 100-200 used)

So with everything above, purchased online, brand new, you could do the following exercises

Barbell squats, deadlifts, lunges, good mornings, zercher squats, barbell rows, overhead press, barbell bench press, barbell tricep extension, lat pulldown, tricep extensions, cable curls, seated rows, pullups, pin press, pin squats, rack pulls, barbell curls, etc etc etc

There are literally a million barbell exercises you can do paired with a lat pulldown and low row. Plus you have have the power rack with adjustable safeties to protect you in case you fail in any of these exercises.

All of this for roughly $1300. That's barely over what you would pay for a year of gym membership alone, not accounting for gas, let alone time saved.

And if you wanted you could get a pair of adjustable dumbbells to whatever weight you need for 300-500 extra dollars. You would still save money over less than 2 years.

At the end of that time you would then break even. You could sell your equipment if you really wanted, and make a profit. As opposed to gym membership fees, you pay a full 2 years, and then you have nothing. You have to continue to pay.

With a home gym you pay once, then never again unless you want more equipment.

Think about making your space work and think about some of the suggestions above. I think you'll find making a sick starter set up is pretty realistic and economical, especially if you spend some time on craiglist to get stuff super cheap.

Parias1126 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Parias1126 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Parias1126 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Parias1126 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Parias1126 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Parias1126 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Parias1126 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Parias1126 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Parias1126 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Parias1126 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Parias1126 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by LimitStrength View Post
    Well, considering how expensive your gym seems to be, $100 per month, adding the gas required to drive to and from, as well as the time wasted traveling, I personally feel training at home is not only economical, but better in a lot of ways.

That being said a lot of people need the atmosphere of a "gym" to stay consistent. Many people get some home equipment but it never gets used because one doesn't associate being home with doing exercise, so you never get started. As opposed to the gym, once you get there, there isn't anything else you can do, so they exercise.

Try to realistically see how much you could see yourself training at home. Don't lie to yourself either, because you're the only one who would pay the price.

For me, I have no problem training hard 4 times a week, by myself, in my garage. Although I prefer to train with training partners, training solo at home doesn't phase me at all. My brother however, needs the environment of the gym to get him into gear and would never train alone at home.

Take this into account so you can get an idea of how much you would want to invest.

That being said from a starting standpoint it all depends on how much you want to invest. I crunched the numbers of all the costs, including gas etc of going to a gym and came up with a dollar amount. This was how much it cost me per year to go my gym at the time. I knew the equipment I would need to do almost everything I could possibly want, and it came out to be around the cost of 2 years of membership at my gym. Granted, my gym was 30 a month, not 100.

So for me, that's how I came up with my budget. As long as I spent less than or equal to the cost of 2 years at a commercial gym, I would not only most likely save money, but I would save time and the ability to play my own music and shout and throw chalk etc.

I recommend making an excel spreadsheet and figuring out the actual costs. Take the MPG of your car, paired with roughly how much gas costs around you and you will get a number. I think you will be pretty surprised at how much you're spending. On membership alone over 2 years you would pay $2400, that's enough to set up a kick ass starter gym. That's not even including gas.

As for particulars. I think you would be frustrated if you only got dumbbells and a bench. You can't do a lot of exercises, especially for your lower body with DBs.

You don't need much space for a power rack and olympic barbell. Just roughly 8 feet of clearance in one direction and 3-4 feet deep of clearance.

Just to give you an idea of how much a set up would cost you NEW (keep in mind most people myself included by their weights and most of their equipment used whenever possible);
    Powerline PPR200x Power rack - $385 including shipping
    Troy 300 lbs Olympic Barbell Weight Set - $392 including shipping
    Rogue Utility Bench - $200 including shipping
    Lat Pulldown with Low Row attachment - $320 including shipping (can usually get one for 100-200 used)

So with everything above, purchased online, brand new, you could do the following exercises

Barbell squats, deadlifts, lunges, good mornings, zercher squats, barbell rows, overhead press, barbell bench press, barbell tricep extension, lat pulldown, tricep extensions, cable curls, seated rows, pullups, pin press, pin squats, rack pulls, barbell curls, etc etc etc

There are literally a million barbell exercises you can do paired with a lat pulldown and low row. Plus you have have the power rack with adjustable safeties to protect you in case you fail in any of these exercises.

All of this for roughly $1300. That's barely over what you would pay for a year of gym membership alone, not accounting for gas, let alone time saved.

And if you wanted you could get a pair of adjustable dumbbells to whatever weight you need for 300-500 extra dollars. You would still save money over less than 2 years.

At the end of that time you would then break even. You could sell your equipment if you really wanted, and make a profit. As opposed to gym membership fees, you pay a full 2 years, and then you have nothing. You have to continue to pay.

With a home gym you pay once, then never again unless you want more equipment.

Think about making your space work and think about some of the suggestions above. I think you'll find making a sick starter set up is pretty realistic and economical, especially if you spend some time on craiglist to get stuff super cheap.
    This post was truly helpful! Thank you for taking the time out to write it. It looks like it would be completely worth it to just put these things in my home instead of going to the gym. We are actually paying for TWO gym memberships and the gas to go back and forth in TWO vehicles since my husband goes 3 times a week at least as well! Just for me alone, I figured I will have spent $110.73/month for the 6 months of my gym membership that ends in April if I go 5 days a week. I was going 6 days a week so that would be even more. If you add my husband to that, it would more then double since his truck uses more gas then my little car.

I have been on Craigslist for the past couple weeks and haven't found yet exactly what I'm looking for or maybe I wasn't exactly sure what I am looking for. The main reason I had asked for suggestions here was because I don't want to spend a ton of money, I don't have a lot of space, but I don't want junk. The equipment would definitely get used. I really enjoy working out alone. I do not like having a workout buddy at all! I don't even go to the gym the same time as my husband! LOL I want my space. I want to be left alone. I want to get my workout done and concentrate on what I'm doing. For me, this is how I get the most out of what I put into it. It just works for me. I spent the first 6 months working out at home and it worked for me. I definitely could say that I miss it.

I looked at the Ironmaster stuff and it would be PERFECT! I just didn't want to spend that much. I would end up having to order everything in pieces/stages. I really want to do it all at once and be done. I Just need to know which brands are good, and what to stay far far away from. It seems everyone on Craigslist local to me wants way more then things are worth. I have looked up some of the things for sale online and I can get new what they want me to buy from them used. I'm also paranoid when it comes to Craigslist because just last week my son-in-law had a gun held to his head and was robbed going to pick up something he was supposed to buy from someone. That was a huge wakeup call. My daughter was a few feet away in the car while it all happened.

Anyway, I'm going to check out the pieces you suggested. I need to also see if I'm going to have 8 ft of clearance. I think I may be okay if I could put the bench against another wall when it's not being used. I would love any other equipment suggestions anyone may have. I just don't want to buy junk. It seems everyone local on Craigslist has Marcy or Golds Gym equipment and both have not so great reviews. I want something that is going to last.

Another question: Can I start out by buying the bench? Then add pieces as I go? Does everything need to be the same brand? When I purchase my bench, if I want all attachments, do I need to make sure I purchase that particular bench with the attachments I know I'm going to want now and later?

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Another question: Can I start out by buying the bench? Then add pieces as I go? Does everything need to be the same brand? When I purchase my bench, if I want all attachments, do I need to make sure I purchase that particular bench with the attachments I know I'm going to want now and later?
    There's no problem starting off with just a bench. If you already have dumbbells, you can put it to use immediately.

You should not expect attachments for a particular model of bench to work with some other brand / model. You should research any attachments you're interested in prior to buying a bench as this might influence your choice of bench.

Originally Posted by KBKB View Post
    There's no problem starting off with just a bench. If you already have dumbbells, you can put it to use immediately.

You should not expect attachments for a particular model of bench to work with some other brand / model. You should research any attachments you're interested in prior to buying a bench as this might influence your choice of bench.
    Can you suggest where to start when looking for a bench that is going to be a good one that will last and will include all the attachments? I think I'm probably going to start here and add a power rack and lat bars later on. Should I be looking at a bench that comes with a power rack so that I can add it on later or will any bench go with any rack?

Can you suggest where to start when looking for a bench that is going to be a good one that will last and will include all the attachments? I think I'm probably going to start here and add a power rack and lat bars later on. Should I be looking at a bench that comes with a power rack so that I can add it on later or will any bench go with any rack?
    If you want a bench which allows for lots of attachments, I think the main contenders are Ironmaster and Powertec. Either of these benches can be used with a power rack.

I posted photos of the v2 version of the Ironmaster Cable Tower a while back. See:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=145389251

My favorite Super Bench accessory is the dumbbell spotting stand. See:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=140687791

packemup87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) packemup87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) packemup87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) packemup87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) packemup87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) packemup87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) packemup87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) packemup87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) packemup87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) packemup87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) packemup87 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You might consider looking at the auction listed below. Looks like it's about 150 miles away, but if you get a good price, it might be worth the drive. There are some Cybex, Bodymasters, and Hammer Strength benches listed in the auction.

http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/au...ip=&category=0

Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000)
    Ironmaster Super Bench: You can use it for bench press and dumbbell bench rows. There are a lot of other rowing exercises that you can do too with dumbbells, but I like dumbbell bench rows, and find that inclining the Super Bench to 20 degrees is perfect for me to be able to reach the floor to pick up the dumbbells yet still provide a full range of motion.

Get the Super Bench pull up bar attachment and do pull ups instead of lat pulldowns.

There are a variety of dumbbell exercises you can do to work your triceps. Heck, just doing overhead presses are pretty good. If you get the Ironmaster dip attachment, you can work your chest and triceps by doing dips.

It'll be hard to squat safely without a rack. Consider getting a trap bar instead. If you use small diameter plates, doing trap bar deadlifts, you'll get a range of motion similar to that of a squat. (I use 25lb plates with my trap bar.) The other option is to stand on a couple of stacked plates or some other suitable platform when using 45lb plates. A trap bar takes up little space when not in use. I just lean mine up against a wall.

Other options for working your legs are pistols and Bulgarian split squats.
    If this guy is really only 5' 3", I would advise against the Iron master bench because of bench height. I know for me, at 5' 7", flat movements like barbell/dumbbell bench press are a pain in the arse, as I can't get my feet flat to the floor. Now, for other movements like incline and shoulder presses, it's fine. The OP would be best off looking for a used Bodymasters bench, or something similar that sits lower to the floor.

packemup87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) packemup87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) packemup87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) packemup87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) packemup87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) packemup87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) packemup87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) packemup87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) packemup87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) packemup87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) packemup87 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Paulie_G View Post
    If this guy is really only 5' 3", I would advise against the Iron master bench because of bench height. I know for me, at 5' 7", flat movements like barbell/dumbbell bench press are a pain in the arse, as I can't get my feet flat to the floor. Now, for other movements like incline and shoulder presses, it's fine. The OP would be best off looking for a used Bodymasters bench, or something similar that sits lower to the floor.
    You mean GAL...she made a comment about her husband going to the gym also in an earlier post. SHE is 5'3". Guy or gal, your comment on bench height is valid.

Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by packemup87 View Post
    You mean GAL...she made a comment about her husband going to the gym also in an earlier post. SHE is 5'3". Guy or gal, your comment on bench height is valid.
    Woops...LOL. Apologies. Either way, a much shorter bench will be important, and she should check on this before making any purchases.

LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by packemup87 View Post
    You might consider looking at the auction listed below. Looks like it's about 150 miles away, but if you get a good price, it might be worth the drive. There are some Cybex, Bodymasters, and Hammer Strength benches listed in the auction.

http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/au...ip=&category=0
    Uhh, 150 miles in gas alone iis probably not worth it.

As for what to get what not to get etc. Any bench will fit into any power rack. However, some benches like ironmaster and powertec have a large line of accessories that allow your bench to be multi functional.

For example dip handles, pullup bars etc that all click into their respective brands bench, saving you time and space.

For what you want in terms of a bench I recommend buying it new. You'll have to wait forever on craigslist most likely to get a decent price on something good usually.

Better to get a model with all the features and quality you need as opposed to settling for something used.

As a side note I've found people who sell gym equipment on CL to be really nice and normal. I think the high risk stuff on craigslist tends to be electronics and high value items that are in high demand.

You don't have to spend a ton of money but do realize that between you and your husband you would be spending a large sum even in just 6 months.

You could buy EVERYTHING on your list brand new, and save money before 6 months even.

I would go with any decent brand bench, ironmaster, powertec, rogue etc paired with some adjustable dumbbells.The ironmasters are nice because you can drop them without fear of breaking them. But other ones like powerblocks are an option to.

Then if you want you can keep an eye out of craigslist for the rest of the pieces you want over time.

James199117 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) James199117 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) James199117 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) James199117 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) James199117 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) James199117 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) James199117 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) James199117 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) James199117 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) James199117 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) James199117 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    dude, just get a shake weight.
    Used to be 247lbs 40% body fat.
    My transformation thread.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153284371&p=1055527371#post1055527371

Started a 22 week contest prep November 8, 2015. Striated glutes or bust.

Originally Posted by Paulie_G View Post
    Woops...LOL. Apologies. Either way, a much shorter bench will be important, and she should check on this before making any purchases.
    Agreed.

I think it'll be difficult to find a short bench for which there are numerous accessories. If bench accessories are important to the OP, I think she'll have to get a taller bench. I know that some folks put their feet on a calf block or some other kind of low platform when using one of these taller benches.

Another solution is to get a flat bench for doing bench press and use the adjustable bench for other purposes.

Originally Posted by James199117 View Post
    dude, just get a shake weight.
    And is this what you used to develop all that muscle along with some protein shakes and supplements? I'm capable of lifting well more then a shake weight and have worked extremely hard to get where I am at this point.

Aside from this snide comment, thank you everyone else for being so helpful.

Agreed.

I think it'll be difficult to find a short bench for which there are numerous accessories. If bench accessories are important to the OP, I think she'll have to get a taller bench. I know that some folks put their feet on a calf block or some other kind of low platform when using one of these taller benches.

Another solution is to get a flat bench for doing bench press and use the adjustable bench for other purposes.
    Thanks a ton for bringing this up. Something else for me to think about.

Thanks a ton for bringing this up. Something else for me to think about.
    Lee Priest is 5'4" tall, but has found a way to make the Ironmaster Bench work for him. In the video below, he puts his feet up on the dumbbell stand while doing dumbbell bench press. The stand is conveniently located for putting the dumbbells back at the end of the set. He does say, however, "The only thing I want from Ironmaster is for them to make a shorter bench for us short people... because my legs don't touch the ground."

Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Any suggestions?
    My thoughts:

(1) You will need a power rack. An elliptical machine, not so much.

(2) You have more room than I do - my gym is 10' x 10' and has power rack AND a dining table in it.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...03&pagenumber=

(3) At 5'3" you'll need to be careful about the choice of bench since you might struggle to reach the floor on the taller ones. My rack has a stabilising bar at the back which provides a useful place for my wife to put her feet (she's 5'0"). Similarly you might need a 25mm Olympic bar for upper body work - these are rare 2nd hand.

(4) I personally don't like the idea of getting the bench first since most people, and especially female people, don't have enough upper body muscle mass to warrant devoting a whole day to it. For similar reasons I question whether your upper/lower body split is the ideal choice for your weight loss goals. Your biggest muscles are in your legs - are bench presses really going to do more for you than squatting?

(5) To be brutally honest - I don't think it will work, but I hope it does. Most of the guys (and we're all guys here) here who stick around have long histories at commercial gyms and have formed opinions on what we need (a power rack) and what we don't need (the Kegelicizer). Craigslist is full of people who thought they'd just be able to get by with a bench and some dumbbells then discovered that it's boring working out at home with just a bench and dumbbells (I've been there). I worry that if you don't get everything right at the beginning, you'll try it for a week or two then start hanging clothes on it.

(6) Did I mention you need a Power rack? If you've never used one at the gym, then you should start. It will help you decide what equipment you need, what you like and what you don't. If nothing else you'll be squatting, which nearly everyone needs to do more of.

Best of luck anyway and I do hope you stick around (and post pictures of your new EliteFTS Collegiate power rack) - this place is a bit of a sausage fest.

I want to thank all of you for your help! I have been looking more closely at the Ironmaster bench. I think I'm going to go with this one. It's more then I wanted to spend, but this bench is amazing! Just looked at this video.

<And apparently I can't post videos because I don't have 50 posts> Blah! It was uploaded by Samsfitnesscom and just a video on all the super bench exercises.

It looks like it's possible to do even my lower body workout with this bench. It also takes up hardly any room at all which is what I was looking for. I can still do one-legged squats utilizing the bench, calf raises, etc. Even more core and abs?? I didn't realize it is capable of all this until I watched this video. It looks like this is where my tax return will go (some of it). I also want to say thank you for the video attachment that shows how to modify for my feet not touching the floor. That was extremely helpful as well. Now to start saving! I have two months until my gym membership expires.

Location: Birmingham, Westmidlands, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000)
    just to give you an idea of what you can fit into a small space, have a look at my thread -

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post996957023
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #4 -!!!---!!!-