Trey19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Trey19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

5 Simple Tips To Increase Your Vertical Jump

A high vertical jump is essential to becoming a successful athlete.

Once you reach that 35- 40 inch vertical you will be an amazing athlete. It doesn't matter what sport you play, or athletic events you participate in, a higher vertical jump will make you a better athlete.

So what are the 5 effective tips you can start using to increase your vertical jump?

Let's start with the first one...

- Do squats consistently.

Train your legs to be effective and reliable by using them everyday. Doing regular squats every day without any weights is a great way to increase your vertical jump and the power in your legs. Your legs will get used to the squatting motion that you use every time you jump, which will lead to a higher vertical jump.

You should do at least 50 squats a day to keep your legs in great shape and increase your vertical.

- Roll out the knots in your leg muscles.

If you participate in frequent athletic activity, the chances are you have tight muscle areas or knots in your legs that need to be loosened up. These knots can cause your muscles to shorten up which makes them weaker and less effective. Once you loosen up these knots you will be able to jump higher. You can use a foam roller to roll out the knots and lengthen your muscles.

You can use the foam roller to roll out knots in your calves, quads and IT bands.

- Use depth jumps as an exercise to increase your vertical.

A depth jump is an exercise in which you stand on a box that is around 6-10 inches off the ground, step off, and as soon as your feet touch the ground jump as high as you can while lifting your arms straight up in the air. Land softly on the ground in an athletic stance and step back on the box and repeat the process.

Do 3 sets of 3 depth jumps your first week and then improve the amount of sets every week. So the first week would be 3 sets of 3, the second week would be 3 sets of 4, and etc...

- Visualize a high vertical jump.

Believe in yourself and believe that you can jump really high. Every time you jump make sure you jump as high as you can, because the more you practice jumping high the better you will get at it. Eventually you will be able to jump high without even trying because it will become a part of you.

- Swing your arms aggressively.

When you jump, you want to swing your arms upwards with tremendous force. The swinging of your arms helps to build up momentum when you take off from the ground, so you want to swing your arms with a lot of force.

Use these 5 effective tips to increase your vertical jump starting today.

daavig will become famous soon enough. (+50) daavig will become famous soon enough. (+50) daavig will become famous soon enough. (+50) daavig will become famous soon enough. (+50) daavig will become famous soon enough. (+50) daavig will become famous soon enough. (+50) daavig will become famous soon enough. (+50) daavig will become famous soon enough. (+50) daavig will become famous soon enough. (+50) daavig will become famous soon enough. (+50) daavig will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Nice.

jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000)
    The #1 technique tip I could give; pull yourself down as fast as possible during the countermovement. The faster you go down, the more energy you store, and the more the rubber band snaps back to propel you up.

Another reason why training for eccentric and isometric strength is more important than concentric.
    www.dreesperformance.com

ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Trey19 View Post

- Do squats consistently.

Train your legs to be effective and reliable by using them everyday. Doing regular squats every day without any weights is a great way to increase your vertical jump and the power in your legs. Your legs will get used to the squatting motion that you use every time you jump, which will lead to a higher vertical jump.

You should do at least 50 squats a day to keep your legs in great shape and increase your vertical.
    I DISAGREE. Use a reliable in-season strength and conditioning program, which INCOPERATES squats and uses a load (eg weights) among other lower body exercises such as GH-raises, etc,.. Keep the reps low, sets low (4 sets of 2-3reps) and rest high (2-3 minutes). Twice a week is sufficent, including a day where you incoperate ploymetrics.

Originally Posted by Trey19 View Post
    - Use depth jumps as an exercise to increase your vertical.

A depth jump is an exercise in which you stand on a box that is around 6-10 inches off the ground, step off, and as soon as your feet touch the ground jump as high as you can while lifting your arms straight up in the air. Land softly on the ground in an athletic stance and step back on the box and repeat the process.

Do 3 sets of 3 depth jumps your first week and then improve the amount of sets every week. So the first week would be 3 sets of 3, the second week would be 3 sets of 4, and etc...

- Visualize a high vertical jump.
    I agree, but not completly. Again, ploymetrics is abut stimulating the CNS, NOT about volume work. Keep the sets low (4-5 per ploymetric exercies, and 2 or 3 exercises maximum) and reps LOW (2 or 3) with a 2-3 min rest between sets. The idea is to stimulate the CNS not to fatigue your muscles.
    Estimated 1Rep Max at ~204lbs

Squat 370lb (1.71xBW)
    Deadlift 470lb (2.30xBW)
    Bench 265lb (1.30xBW)

-bk

KingMisc is just really nice. (+1000) KingMisc is just really nice. (+1000) KingMisc is just really nice. (+1000) KingMisc is just really nice. (+1000) KingMisc is just really nice. (+1000) KingMisc is just really nice. (+1000) KingMisc is just really nice. (+1000) KingMisc is just really nice. (+1000) KingMisc is just really nice. (+1000) KingMisc is just really nice. (+1000) KingMisc is just really nice. (+1000)
    How much will a 35inch+ vertical benifits a 5'7 guy in basketball?

billwill87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i started doing light to moderate hang and power cleans and the gains have been tremendous. I'm 5,11 and i can grab any rim with 2 hands off vert with ease. Not to mention what cleans have done for my acceleration and explosion. I don't plan on going too heavy with them as Im not training to compete in O-lifting. But having someone watch your form, and watch others who are adept at the phase motions of cleaning helps. in combinations with squats these are highly beneficial to making anyone more athletic and explosive

Trey19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Trey19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by billwill87 View Post
    i started doing light to moderate hang and power cleans and the gains have been tremendous. I'm 5,11 and i can grab any rim with 2 hands off vert with ease. Not to mention what cleans have done for my acceleration and explosion. I don't plan on going too heavy with them as Im not training to compete in O-lifting. But having someone watch your form, and watch others who are adept at the phase motions of cleaning helps. in combinations with squats these are highly beneficial to making anyone more athletic and explosive
    I agree your form is very important because the better your form, the better the benefit you will get from doing the exercise. Great tip.

Originally Posted by KingMisc View Post
    How much will a 35inch+ vertical benifits a 5'7 guy in basketball?
    A 35+ vertical will benefit anyone at any height. I know from experience that a better vertical jump improves your athletic performance and allows you to do things you wouldn't have been able to do with a low vertical jump. For example, it is a lot easier to score at the basketball rim when you can jump high than it would be if you couldn't jump high. Spudd Webb was 5'7 with a 42 inch vertical and he did some pretty amazing things in his time in the N.B.A.

Originally Posted by ByronKelly View Post
    I DISAGREE. Use a reliable in-season strength and conditioning program, which INCOPERATES squats and uses a load (eg weights) among other lower body exercises such as GH-raises, etc,.. Keep the reps low, sets low (4 sets of 2-3reps) and rest high (2-3 minutes). Twice a week is sufficent, including a day where you incoperate ploymetrics.

I agree, but not completly. Again, ploymetrics is abut stimulating the CNS, NOT about volume work. Keep the sets low (4-5 per ploymetric exercies, and 2 or 3 exercises maximum) and reps LOW (2 or 3) with a 2-3 min rest between sets. The idea is to stimulate the CNS not to fatigue your muscles.
    I agree with both responses, I just wrote a short article that someone could use to get started on the right foot or use some of the tips to help improve their vertical jump.

Originally Posted by jonmd123 View Post
    The #1 technique tip I could give; pull yourself down as fast as possible during the countermovement. The faster you go down, the more energy you store, and the more the rubber band snaps back to propel you up.

Another reason why training for eccentric and isometric strength is more important than concentric.
    Awesome tip thanks for sharing.

jonnakio22 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm sorry for bumping this old thread, found it while searching on Google and I really think I have something to add here.

Basic answer: Train your legs for explosive jumping. Note that explosive jumping, like what you need for dunking a basketball, is not the same as the jumping you’d do for skipping rope, for example.

When it comes to the actual training, there are myriad programs, systems and recommendations out there, so I’ll make my advice general and simple for you.

Practice jumping explosively. Play b-ball and jump for the rim. Box jumps. Hurdles.

Train your legs for explosion in the weight room, with lifts (squat, deadlift, calf raises, etc) that utilize heavy weight that is heavy enough to challenge you but not so heavy that you can’t move it explosively.

Train your upper body for explosion. Dunking is not just in the legs.

You need your arms and core activated as well for it. If you were to jump really high right now without a ball, notice how you use your arms to propel you upward. You can simulate this in training with medicine ball tosses straight up in the air (probably donthis outside, and watch out for he falling ball!).

Train for speed. In b-ball, you’ll often be running before your dunk attempt; the more speed you can build up, the harder and higher you can explode (thibknof an airplane on a runway, for example). Jumping rope helps train for speed and quickness. You can do sprints with a speed parachute strapped to your waist (one of my favorites for speed training). Same for a weighted vest. Sprint up inclines like hills, bridges and treadmills in high inclines and stair master machines.

Make your body aerodynamic. In other words, be in shape. Don’t be on the court with a beer gut, wondering why you can’t jump high. Reduce body fat and build lean muscle. Simplest ways: Eat right (use your best judgement at the dinner table), reduce/eliminate processed food intake (google these if you need help) as much as possible, drink lots of water (not juice and not sports drinks — just water). Make your body look like what you’d call an “explosive athlete”.

Take care of your body otherwise. No alcohol or illicit drugs. Get ample rest (8+ hours sleep daily).

All that should be a good start. For specific programs, see:

- Vert Shock by Adam Folker: vertshockbb.nabillionaire.com

- The Jump Manual by Jacob Hiller: jumpmanualbb.nabillionaire.com