TJM213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TJM213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TJM213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TJM213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TJM213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TJM213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TJM213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TJM213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TJM213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TJM213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TJM213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Anyone adjust their workout so DOMS doesn't last for more than a couple days?

I noticed that my new workout program has caused my DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) to last for 6-7 days. I only changed up the exercises and added 2 more sets of light reps to each muscle group. I was sore for only 2-3 days before and then I can hit the same muscle group again without having to wait a full week.

Should I return to my older workout for a bit longer or continue the new workout to train my muscles (even when they are still a bit sore) to handle the added loads and train them to recover faster?

Does anyone develop their workout program so that your muscles are only sore for a couple days?
    I would procrastinate... but I keep putting it off.

Self proclaimed parrot Determinednoob's Avatar
    Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I don't let DOMS or lack of dictate my schedule
    The floundering has ended.

TJM213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TJM213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TJM213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TJM213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TJM213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TJM213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TJM213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TJM213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TJM213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TJM213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TJM213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Determinednoob View Post
    I don't let DOMS or lack of dictate my schedule
    So if you hit quads on Monday, and you feel you should be recovered by Thursday but are still sore, you still hit them again with the lactic acid still built up in your legs? I did notice personally that if I am still a little store and just perform a light, full body workout, that really eliminates alot of the lactic acid so it does make sense.

Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    If you train muscles frequently, you normally would stop getting DOMS after a couple\few weeks. If you train them once per week, you may have DOMS every time. Until recently I was squatting mon\wed\fri. After a few weeks of it, no more DOMS.

Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by TJM213 View Post
    So if you hit quads on Monday, and you feel you should be recovered by Thursday but are still sore, you still hit them again with the lactic acid still built up in your legs? I did notice personally that if I am still a little store and just perform a light, full body workout, that really eliminates alot of the lactic acid so it does make sense.
    I'm no expert on the topic, but I've read plenty of info that says DOMS is NOT caused by lactic acid build up. In fact it seems no one is completely sure what the true source of DOMS is.

That aside, I do a full body routine every other day and its rare to not have some muscles still a little sore from the last workout. I find it feels good to work those sore muscles and it doesn't seem to hinder progress.

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yes. it works.

I squat 3x a week, two day moderate(M/W) and one day heavy(friday). no issues with recovery or DOMS.
    OG

JasonTarin is on a distinguished road. (+10) JasonTarin is on a distinguished road. (+10) JasonTarin is on a distinguished road. (+10) JasonTarin is on a distinguished road. (+10) JasonTarin is on a distinguished road. (+10) JasonTarin is on a distinguished road. (+10) JasonTarin is on a distinguished road. (+10) JasonTarin is on a distinguished road. (+10) JasonTarin is on a distinguished road. (+10) JasonTarin is on a distinguished road. (+10) JasonTarin is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    DOMS begins with microtrauma to muscles and then surrounding connective tissues. Therefore, it is not the same thing as regular muscle soreness. DOMS manifests itself when the exercise actually becomes too much for the muscle to handle itself and ligaments and tendons begin to compensate for the muscle not being able to handle the load. THIS IS A BAD THING! Ultimately this can result in torn connective tissues and cause you to take a long vacation from the gym. If you are getting DOMS .... which is muscle soreness that begins 2-3 days after the muscle has been exercised you should decrease your load the next time you work that muscle out. Decrease the load to the point that muscle soreness onsets within 24 hours of exercise.
    Your mind is your most powerful muscle. Use it to your advantage.

Originally Posted by Jasonk282 View Post
    Yes. it works.

I squat 3x a week, two day moderate(M/W) and one day heavy(friday). no issues with recovery or DOMS.
    Did you switch off 5/3/1 BBB?

Jeff22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeff22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeff22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeff22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeff22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeff22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeff22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeff22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeff22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeff22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeff22 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I used to get terrible DOMS especially on squat days, sometimes it would last up to a week. I wouldn't work out if I was too sore to the point of being in pain, but if it was just mild discomfort I would lift. After a month or two of getting used to the workout DOMS went away almost completely or would last only a day or two.

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Determinednoob View Post
    Did you switch off 5/3/1 BBB?
    Still on 5/3/1 just doing the full body template.
    OG

JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If you always wait for soreness to be gone your always going to get sore

The main issue I see here is for optimal results no matter your goal you need to be following a solid program and sticking to it as consistantly as possible, meaning if it calls for squating every Thursday squat every Thursday

TakeEverything is not very well liked. (-100) TakeEverything is not very well liked. (-100) TakeEverything is not very well liked. (-100) TakeEverything is not very well liked. (-100) TakeEverything is not very well liked. (-100) TakeEverything is not very well liked. (-100) TakeEverything is not very well liked. (-100) TakeEverything is not very well liked. (-100) TakeEverything is not very well liked. (-100) TakeEverything is not very well liked. (-100) TakeEverything is not very well liked. (-100)
    You're training.. You're going to be sore in way one or another...

If you don't want to be sore why even bother in the gym?

Lower your volume/weight if your DOMS are that unbearable.

Originally Posted by JSNeves View Post
    If you always wait for soreness to be gone your always going to get sore

The main issue I see here is for optimal results no matter your goal you need to be following a solid program and sticking to it as consistantly as possible, meaning if it calls for squating every Thursday squat every Thursday
    Thanks, guys! It seems like everyone is saying that one thing that I have been doing wrong all these years... waiting until all soreness was completely gone to hit that muscle again. Because of that, my body wasn't able to adjust to a more frequent workout schedule and my muscles were just used to only getting hit once a week or so.

Back when I was lifting heavy (before the kids came along), I did make decent gains in only a few years (185 lbs to 225 lbs, 10-15 BF%) but I bet I really limited myself and probably could have had quicker results!

Like Jeff22 said also, it really is just a mild discomfort, not a pain or deep soreness so I should be getting back into only after a couple days.

Do you guys think if I set my workout program so that I have 2 full days but no more than 3 days in between hitting the same muscles again, that would be sufficient time for them to rebuild? My diet is strict enough, along with my supplementation program to handle the increase in workout frequency.

Thanks, again for everyone's responses thus far.

gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by JasonTarin View Post
    DOMS begins with microtrauma to muscles and then surrounding connective tissues. Therefore, it is not the same thing as regular muscle soreness. DOMS manifests itself when the exercise actually becomes too much for the muscle to handle itself and ligaments and tendons begin to compensate for the muscle not being able to handle the load. THIS IS A BAD THING! Ultimately this can result in torn connective tissues and cause you to take a long vacation from the gym. If you are getting DOMS .... which is muscle soreness that begins 2-3 days after the muscle has been exercised you should decrease your load the next time you work that muscle out. Decrease the load to the point that muscle soreness onsets within 24 hours of exercise.
    Just no
    Owner of Rapid Transformation Training LLC
    Transform your Mind, Body and Life

www.rapidtransformationtraining.com

bigryan03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigryan03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigryan03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigryan03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigryan03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigryan03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigryan03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigryan03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigryan03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigryan03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigryan03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    DOMS shouldn't dictate whether or not you train a muscle again. There are a number of reasons that DOMS can occur, for example it may have nothing to do with the muscle tissue itself but rather connective tissue or ligaments.
    If you're familiar with the repeated bout effect you'll understand that the more frequently you stimulate a muscle, the less sore it will become over time.

DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    In addition to just working out regardless of DOMS, you can reduce DOMS by doing some extra recovery stuff.

-Contrast showers right after working out
    -Stretching post workout, before sleep, whenever
    -Foam rolling
    -Going for walks to reduce leg soreness

I've found all of these to help soreness and mobility in the days after a workout. But like everyone else said, workout frequency is the most important part of reducing DOMS.

Thanks, guys! It seems like everyone is saying that one thing that I have been doing wrong all these years... waiting until all soreness was completely gone to hit that muscle again. Because of that, my body wasn't able to adjust to a more frequent workout schedule and my muscles were just used to only getting hit once a week or so.

Back when I was lifting heavy (before the kids came along), I did make decent gains in only a few years (185 lbs to 225 lbs, 10-15 BF%) but I bet I really limited myself and probably could have had quicker results!

Like Jeff22 said also, it really is just a mild discomfort, not a pain or deep soreness so I should be getting back into only after a couple days.

Do you guys think if I set my workout program so that I have 2 full days but no more than 3 days in between hitting the same muscles again, that would be sufficient time for them to rebuild? My diet is strict enough, along with my supplementation program to handle the increase in workout frequency.

Thanks, again for everyone's responses thus far.
    Lift 3-4 days a week. Taking 2-3 days off at a time is not a good idea. Also what program are you one, I'm going to assume you;re on your own. Get on a good proven program like Texas Method, Madcow's 5/3/1, etc...I can assure you these people know more about weight training than you do.
    OG

Originally Posted by Jasonk282 View Post
    Lift 3-4 days a week. Taking 2-3 days off at a time is not a good idea. Also what program are you one, I'm going to assume you;re on your own. Get on a good proven program like Texas Method, Madcow's 5/3/1, etc...I can assure you these people know more about weight training than you do.
    No, I'm not using my own program. Now that I can get back into a more consistent workout routine (for the first time in 6+ yrs), I am referring back to programs I used way back when I was lifting all the time. I have used many programs found here on Bodybuilding.com with great results.

I just completed a 12-week full body workout to prep my body. Now I am back to 2 body parts per day for 4 days: Chest/Bi's, Quads/Hams, Shoulders/Tri's, Back/Calves with 6 sets of each body part. Specifically, this workout that I have done before for a couple months until I transition into an 8x8 program for a few months.

I don't consider myself a beginner, just someone who forgot some of the principles. Unfortunately, I have to start back at the beginning again.

If you have been away for a long time, you can progress at a beginner rate, which means you would be best off with a beginner routine. To skip over this is to slow progress.