Frnkd is a name known to all. (+5000) Frnkd is a name known to all. (+5000) Frnkd is a name known to all. (+5000) Frnkd is a name known to all. (+5000) Frnkd is a name known to all. (+5000) Frnkd is a name known to all. (+5000) Frnkd is a name known to all. (+5000) Frnkd is a name known to all. (+5000) Frnkd is a name known to all. (+5000) Frnkd is a name known to all. (+5000) Frnkd is a name known to all. (+5000)

Calling out all teachers out there.

Im a teacher, I teach in a residential treatment facility, hospital base. 7th to 12th grade in all levels from those with special education services to those in honors and advance placement classes. I'm in what maybe be referred to as a one room school house in the old pioneer days. LOL

My students don't stay very long, a few weeks to a couple of months. They are treated for a gamut of mental health issues that resulted in attempting to hurt themselves or others, effects of substance, or just being out of touch with reality. They come in with diagnosis such as depression, adhd, bipolar, oppositional disorder, etc and PTSD as a result of witnessing trauma to a variety of abuse- some of which would disgust you. As a teacher my role is to ensure that the continuity of education continues in the hospital setting with their own school while receiving treatment.

Been at it for more than 27 years.....how time flies.

My experience has been invaluable for me in understanding what these kids go through both in school, community, and at home. What interests them, the latest trends, whos who in the youth world, and how they perceive their future. I like to see that they see a future in spite of their past or current condition. They make their own choices and sometimes they have to live the consequence and move on from there. The blame game only stops when they stop looking outside themselves.

Why I posted this thread is that I was reading Paolo's thread and journal and his passion for his students and teaching. I started realizing, you know I wonder how many other teachers in BB.com have similar stories and situations. And, if John Q public realize the trials and tribulation, sacrifices, and successes teachers do have and make each day in the classroom and out.

So all you teachers share your stories. Please include grade level, class size, years of service, etc if you dont mind, and maybe how your teacher mode is almost always on. Btw, Im also married to a teacher. ......My poor son.....LOL
    I'm open to any suggestions and have a difficult time accepting limitations without an honest effort on my part, you can count on that!

"iCan, iWill, iHave"

There are always choices, no bad ones, no good ones, only "great" ones,
    "Oh, great!" :)

Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Props for taking on that challange Frnkd.

After another life in business I started teaching 11 years ago. I started with 8th grade American history then (against my will) I taught 7th and 8th grade science for 2 years.

God must have smiled on me for going through the science gig because I landed a job at my current school teaching world history and world history honors. Along side world history I've also taught sociology, psychology and cultural geography.

The blessings I've had since becoming a educator are far too many to count. Example: In the past 3 weeks I've run into 3 former students who are in college and all working part time.

feelsgoodman
    Last edited by Nikonguy; 02-02-2013 at 12:08 PM.
    " ----------I`m your Huckleberry......'"

John Adams

paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My respects for teachers in the 'special needs' field! I don't know how you all do it. It's challenging enough just dealing with the normal, everyday, run of the mill little Apaches. I've taught in private schools; Music, K - 8th Grade, 8th Grade Spanish, 10th Grade World History, and now, some 20 years or so in public school; 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Grade Bilingual. It's a hoot!

I could complain every now and again...come to think about it, I do! Hell, I'm good at it! I could go on the road and lecture if somebody would pay me. But who wants to hear that? Ha ha
    paolo59

"If you're going through hell, keep going!" Winston Churchill

Frnkd is a name known to all. (+5000) Frnkd is a name known to all. (+5000) Frnkd is a name known to all. (+5000) Frnkd is a name known to all. (+5000) Frnkd is a name known to all. (+5000) Frnkd is a name known to all. (+5000) Frnkd is a name known to all. (+5000) Frnkd is a name known to all. (+5000) Frnkd is a name known to all. (+5000) Frnkd is a name known to all. (+5000) Frnkd is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Nikonguy View Post
    Props for taking on that challange Frnkd.

After another life in business I started teaching 11 years ago. I started with 8th grade American history then (against my will) I taught 7th and 8th grade science for 2 years.

God must have smiled on me for going through the science gig because I landed a job at my current school teaching world history and world history honors. Along side world history I've also taught sociology, psychology and cultural geography.

The blessings I've had since becoming a educator are far too many to count. Example: In the past 3 weeks I've run into 3 former students who are in college and all working part time.

feelsgoodman
    thank you,
    Sometimes the rewards aren't seen till years later like in your case.

Unfortunately for me because of confidentiality and such, even if I see a previous student/patient I can not acknowledge them unless they approach me, so in a way knowing that "you're that teacher at that place" is said that is good enough for me.
    I'm open to any suggestions and have a difficult time accepting limitations without an honest effort on my part, you can count on that!

"iCan, iWill, iHave"

paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Frnkd View Post
    thank you,
    Sometimes the rewards aren't seen till years later like in your case.

Unfortunately for me because of confidentiality and such, even if I see a previous student/patient I can not acknowledge them unless they approach me, so in a way knowing that "you're that teacher at that place" is said that is good enough for me.
    LOL Talking about seeing old students; years ago a teacher friend and I were about to cross the old bridge from Brownsville into Matamoros. I saw a student and turned to Susan and asked; "What the hell is he doing driving that car?" LOL She said, he's 19 now! He's allowed to drive. Ha ha, the years just fly by. It's amazing to see kids you've taught all grown up.
    paolo59

Originally Posted by paolo59 View Post
    My respects for teachers in the 'special needs' field! I don't know how you all do it. It's challenging enough just dealing with the normal, everyday, run of the mill little Apaches. I've taught in private schools; Music, K - 8th Grade, 8th Grade Spanish, 10th Grade World History, and now, some 20 years or so in public school; 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Grade Bilingual. It's a hoot!

I could complain every now and again...come to think about it, I do! Hell, I'm good at it! I could go on the road and lecture if somebody would pay me. But who wants to hear that? Ha ha
    Last February we lost (found another job for clarity) our elementary teacher- we only have 2 positions. so I coordinated both classrooms, children and adolescense. I had never taught and thought I would never teach that age group. But it was so much fun, expectations are different when you teach children. But as tough as these children can be with impulse control, the "how come he can and I cant" cries, adamant "NO"s.....I enjoyed it immensely. Now how did I do it? with a wing and a prayer, LOL.......I had great back up staff who accompany these kids, can never appreciate all the non-teaching staff that assists, sometimes they are forgotten.

"iCan, iWill, iHave"

Last February we lost (found another job for clarity) our elementary teacher- we only have 2 positions. so I coordinated both classrooms, children and adolescense. I had never taught and thought I would never teach that age group. But it was so much fun, expectations are different when you teach children. But as tough as these children can be with impulse control, the "how come he can and I cant" cries, adamant "NO"s.....I enjoyed it immensely. Now how did I do it? with a wing and a prayer, LOL.......I had great back up staff who accompany these kids, can never appreciate all the non-teaching staff that assists, sometimes they are forgotten.
    Oh my goodness! I've had the pleasure and honor of working with some incredible teacher assistants. They are invaluable! We couldn't do our jobs without them!!!
    paolo59

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I pick up classes every now and again (college/graduate level) and all I can say is that is not a job I want. The amount of effort that goes into preparing lectures cannot be overstated and staying on track for an hour to an hour and a half in front of students is exhausting (and I'm talking about a single class).
    2 + 2 = 5 (for extremely large values of 2)

Try SCE to AUX

Originally Posted by mslman71 View Post
    I pick up classes every now and again (college/graduate level) and all I can say is that is not a job I want. The amount of effort that goes into preparing lectures cannot be overstated and staying on track for an hour to an hour and a half in front of students is exhausting (and I'm talking about a single class).
    LOL .....enlightened

"iCan, iWill, iHave"

I wanted to be a University History Professor! Things didn't quite work out as I had planned I guess. Ha! I had some phenomenal old men as History professors. One in particular, Dr. Kearny. He would present a syllabus at the beginning of each semester's class of at least 3 pages, books and sources where he had gleaned information. To sit in one of his lectures was pure pleasure and enjoyment. He was the finest teacher I've ever had!
    paolo59

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I wanted to be a University History Professor! Things didn't quite work out as I had planned I guess. Ha! I had some phenomenal old men as History professors. One in particular, Dr. Kearny. He would present a syllabus at the beginning of each semester's class of at least 3 pages, books and sources where he had gleaned information. To sit in one of his lectures was pure pleasure and enjoyment. He was the finest teacher I've ever had!
    Funny you should mention this. My favorite teacher of all time was my HS physics/chemistry teacher. However, next to him the teacher I enjoyed the most was my American History teacher as an undergraduate. Keep in mind that we science/engineering types tended to resist getting anywhere near the humanities side of campus. Anyway, he was a former Marine and Vietnam veteran and looked like he could've still been an active Marine. He was tough, direct, and had a unforgiving personality. He encouraged people to voice their perspectives and be well prepared to defend them; there were no special snowflakes in his class. He was a part of the evacuation of Saigon though I can't remember in what capacity. He had a lot of very remarkable personal photographs from the event. I had a lot of fun in that class and it came as a complete surprise.
    2 + 2 = 5 (for extremely large values of 2)

Try SCE to AUX

Funny you should mention this. My favorite teacher of all time was my HS physics/chemistry teacher. However, next to him the teacher I enjoyed the most was my American History teacher as an undergraduate. Keep in mind that we science/engineering types tended to resist getting anywhere near the humanities side of campus. Anyway, he was a former Marine and Vietnam veteran and looked like he could've still been an active Marine. He was tough, direct, and had a unforgiving personality. He encouraged people to voice their perspectives and be well prepared to defend them; there were no special snowflakes in his class. He was a part of the evacuation of Saigon though I can't remember in what capacity. He had a lot of very remarkable personal photographs from the event. I had a lot of fun in that class and it came as a complete surprise.
    Ha ha, a professor like that is worth their weight in gold! I was a double major, Spanish and History. Specifics in European History/Colonial New World. That old man had traveled all over Europe/Latin America. In every lecture, practically every historical event, he had slides that he had taken with his wife. You not only listened to and learned that history, but you saw it too. I took every course Dr. Kearny taught!
    paolo59

The Cake Is A Lie! StressMonkey's Avatar
    StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Funny you should mention this. My favorite teacher of all time was my HS physics/chemistry teacher. However, next to him the teacher I enjoyed the most was my American History teacher as an undergraduate. Keep in mind that we science/engineering types tended to resist getting anywhere near the humanities side of campus.
    My American history professor read from the book and gave us tests that boiled down to memorization of dates and key facts. I wanted to bang my head against a wall every time before I went into that room.
    There will come a day when I tire of listening to 80's music. That day is not today.

I Really Miss The Old BodySpace

-O35 5'8" Crew- -Karl_Hungus Crew-

Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by StressMonkey View Post
    My American history professor read from the book and gave us tests that boiled down to memorization of dates and key facts. I wanted to bang my head against a wall every time before I went into that room.
    Someone was milking his tenure for all it was worth.

I've actually done a lesson using sock puppets. Of course it was for 9th graders (and for the LULZ) but they remembered the information.

John Adams

Someone was milking his tenure for all it was worth.

I've actually done a lesson using sock puppets. Of course it was for 9th graders (and for the LULZ) but they remembered the information.
    LOL You'll stand on your head, do whatever it takes to get those points across! My kids think I'm crazy. Ha ha
    paolo59

BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm a PE teacher at a girls' prep school - I teach everything from nursery (kindergarten) up to age 11. I have only been teaching a couple of years, and quite by accident - my friend works at the school and called me up when their initial hire fell pregnant and didn't want to continue. I'm not qualified, had no experience at all with children (single, no kids, friends are mostly gay men with no kids so...) and all I had to my name was a gym instructor qualification. They took me anyway and I found I liked it a lot. Not every job where you get hugged on a daily basis.

Some might consider I have it easy since this is not a school in a deprived area and I'm not teaching troubled kids who abuse drugs and are likely to stab you. Full respect for teachers in those kinds of places. I couldn't do it. But since this is a private school, it presents its own challenges. These girls are little princesses who are quite often spoiled and used to getting their own way.

If anyone has any tips on how to be a more commanding presence I'll gladly take them, novice that I am! I do my best but sometimes I just want to bang my head against a wall repeatedly!
    Current log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149169243

Now cutting!

Originally Posted by BalhamBeast View Post
    I'm a PE teacher at a girls' prep school - I teach everything from nursery (kindergarten) up to age 11. I have only been teaching a couple of years, and quite by accident - my friend works at the school and called me up when their initial hire fell pregnant and didn't want to continue. I'm not qualified, had no experience at all with children (single, no kids, friends are mostly gay men with no kids so...) and all I had to my name was a gym instructor qualification. They took me anyway and I found I liked it a lot. Not every job where you get hugged on a daily basis.

Some might consider I have it easy since this is not a school in a deprived area and I'm not teaching troubled kids who abuse drugs and are likely to stab you. Full respect for teachers in those kinds of places. I couldn't do it. But since this is a private school, it presents its own challenges. These girls are little princesses who are quite often spoiled and used to getting their own way.

If anyone has any tips on how to be a more commanding presence I'll gladly take them, novice that I am! I do my best but sometimes I just want to bang my head against a wall repeatedly!
    Ha ha, practice that 'if looks could kill' glare....and consistency is the word! Yours is indeed a completely different dynamic. Prissy little girls! LOL I've got several of those, even at 8 or 9 years of age! That little look....."Are you talking to me?" LMAO Hell yea, I'm talking to you! I'll snatch you bald!!! I've got one, named after 'Lucero,' a beautiful Mexican singer, telenovela star. She thinks she's Lucero! Ha ha Chin up! Don't ever let them see weakness, they'll tie you up and set you on fire!
    paolo59

Always have a plan.
    Always have a plan B.
    Always remember you are bigger than they are.
    If you want them to follow directions make it sound like an order.
    Don't smile unless things are going very well.
    If things are not going well STOP and let them know it's not acceptable.
    If you bargain with them do it on your own terms.

John Adams

BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000)
    Heh! I'm bigger than most of them. There's one 11 year old I teach who is nearly as big as me, has size 9 (US size 10 in men's sizing) feet and is 140lbs. She is a competitive swimmer and swims butterfly. She is going to be Brienne of Tarth in a few years, right down to the blonde hair and snub nose.

The main trouble with the older girls is that they are cocky, although there are some really good girls among them. It's the nursery kids who give me the most headaches, though (there are boys up to age 4 as well). The youngest class, some of whom aren't even quite 3, were such a nightmare on Friday that I told the teaching assistant to take them back to the class. They are too little to reason with and I honestly think too young for PE lessons - they should just be playing at that age, and unsurprisingly that's exactly what they want to do. If one or two run around or misbehave, it's one thing, but when it's 6 or 7 there's not much you can do (well, not much that wouldn't get me fired, anyway!)
    Current log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149169243

Now cutting!

boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i too teach in a residential treatment facility. learning and emotional disabilities, and some straight up "g"'s. all ages. youngest i have right now is 8.

tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I was a preschool teacher for 18 years. I got to start them out right. But now I teach little ones at a church. Love those little guys. Some days I think that they teach me a thing or two. The kids are so much fun. I have the cutiest little girl in class she is so smart..........

LOL You'll stand on your head, do whatever it takes to get those points across! My kids think I'm crazy. Ha ha
    Sometimes I find it throws them off enough to make them listen to what you are saying or even absorb it. Throwing one line zingers or playing with double meanings keeps on their toes too. Of course I am always aware of my students abilities to understand any "playing" around. As I do not do this for my own entertainment, just a little disclaimer. LOL

"iCan, iWill, iHave"

Ha ha, practice that 'if looks could kill' glare....and consistency is the word! Yours is indeed a completely different dynamic. Prissy little girls! LOL I've got several of those, even at 8 or 9 years of age! That little look....."Are you talking to me?" LMAO Hell yea, I'm talking to you! I'll snatch you bald!!! I've got one, named after 'Lucero,' a beautiful Mexican singer, telenovela star. She thinks she's Lucero! Ha ha Chin up! Don't ever let them see weakness, they'll tie you up and set you on fire!
    Oh yeah, those budding borderlines...hahaha. I do the same^^^^

Always have a plan.
    Always have a plan B.
    Always remember you are bigger than they are.
    If you want them to follow directions make it sound like an order.
    Don't smile unless things are going very well.
    If things are not going well STOP and let them know it's not acceptable.
    If you bargain with them do it on your own terms.
    Agree^^^^ Less words, ignore if possible, redirect, restate your instructions, if you have a consequence or point system do not hesitate to use it.....if there is no negotiations there is no negotiations. What i find is that these kids will become dismissive with your authority, and soon other students may become less responsive.

Heh! I'm bigger than most of them. There's one 11 year old I teach who is nearly as big as me, has size 9 (US size 10 in men's sizing) feet and is 140lbs. She is a competitive swimmer and swims butterfly. She is going to be Brienne of Tarth in a few years, right down to the blonde hair and snub nose.

The main trouble with the older girls is that they are cocky, although there are some really good girls among them. It's the nursery kids who give me the most headaches, though (there are boys up to age 4 as well). The youngest class, some of whom aren't even quite 3, were such a nightmare on Friday that I told the teaching assistant to take them back to the class. They are too little to reason with and I honestly think too young for PE lessons - they should just be playing at that age, and unsurprisingly that's exactly what they want to do. If one or two run around or misbehave, it's one thing, but when it's 6 or 7 there's not much you can do (well, not much that wouldn't get me fired, anyway!)
    The first question that I would ask is what are the physical boundaries that you provide for these toddlers. An open field, vs a carpet square, or partitioned floor? coned off area vs roped off area. I would start with that. Remember the more visible structure you provide for these concrete minds the more control you will have. A point or star system, what is your reward system?

Playing? what kind of playing do you expect, parallel play- the outcome of one does not influence anyone else; cooperative- the outcome of the activity is dependent on the cooperation of another; Competitive- there is a "winner" sometimes more difficult if the child is not ready for it.

any way I just giving you my first impression of the situation that you posed, hope its helpful. Good luck.

"iCan, iWill, iHave"

Originally Posted by boathead View Post
    i too teach in a residential treatment facility. learning and emotional disabilities, and some straight up "g"'s. all ages. youngest i have right now is 8.

Like it?

"iCan, iWill, iHave"

boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Like it?
    mostly yes, but i'd be lying if i said there weren't days....

i absolutely love working with the delinquents. autism spectrum/asperger kids i find the most challenging and difficult. many folks think this label is just the latest contrived fad diagnosis....no way.

Originally Posted by boathead View Post
    mostly yes, but i'd be lying if i said there weren't days....

i absolutely love working with the delinquents. autism spectrum/asperger kids i find the most challenging and difficult. many folks think this label is just the latest contrived fad diagnosis....no way.
    It's like people thinking that depression, anxiety and other " invisible" mental health issues can be willed away. It sometimes baffles me when a teacher in regular education thinks "lazy" is a symptom. These kids have a tough time sometimes within their community and at home, of all places school should at least be a safe or safer place for them. All in all most of the teachers and schools I have worked with have been accommodating. There will always be outliers, and that is to be expected too.

"iCan, iWill, iHave"