Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    GDPONE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GDPONE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GDPONE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GDPONE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GDPONE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GDPONE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GDPONE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GDPONE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GDPONE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GDPONE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GDPONE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Raoh52 View Post
    I think it depends more on what people do. I have a feeling that many people don't really know how to cook. I have been eating very clean foods, keeping everything I make low in sodium and such, fats I am been limiting myself, but today I went a bit higher than planned on fats because a meal I had planned out didn't work out. That being said, I don't feel an urge to cheat. Most people think to have healthy foods, you need to have no flavor, and this is where I believe they fail. If I told you I was eating things like pesto sauteed chicken, chicken tacos, sausage patties, etc etc. You would never expect for me to be losing weight. But I am making everything without the stuff that adds on a ton of calories. I make my chicken in some water instead of oil. This cuts out some fats and some calories, making the meal healthier, while still being pretty tasty.

But yeah, losing weight too quickly won't work. Thankfully, I am pretty damn heavy, so losing 2 pounds a week isn't so hard. I can eat plenty, because I fill up with lower calories foods.

OP, I am gonna add you as a buddy on myfitnesspal.
    Yep got it and accepted.

Originally Posted by PopeGregorius View Post
    As a beginner, apart from good form, having higher reps is an achievable goal. Work towards, say, 4 sets of 10 reps. Higher reps helps with reducing fat, at least it does with me.
    I am pretty commited to the plan I already have at this point. Which is all pros. I should point out I have higher amount of weight available to me up to 52lbs but really cant do more than 30ish at this point except bench, and calf raises.

MS,CSCS,CF-L1,USAW,WBB HamburgerTrain's Avatar
    HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by paulosantos0922 View Post
    Most people that want to lose a lot of weight get discouraged if they don't see that weight drop. They don't understand that it takes time to un**** what has taken years to **** up. 1 lb per week is the most I'd try to lose. Any more than that and your body isn't going to like you too much. You can't expect to go from eating 4000 calories a day to eating 2000 calories without having some problems.
    I've worked with clients that have been 300+lbs (and don't lift) for decades. They get frustrated when they aren't losing 20lbs a week. I have had clients literally get up and walk on the door when I sit them down and tell them that it is going to take years to get thier bodies back to normal function.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."

samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by HamburgerTrain View Post
    I've worked with clients that have been 300+lbs (and don't lift) for decades. They get frustrated when they aren't losing 20lbs a week. I have had clients literally get up and walk on the door when I sit them down and tell them that it is going to take years to get thier bodies back to normal function.

no matter how true it is, that doesn't sound very tactful. As a former 300+lber who was very sedentary at one point, quick gains is the thing that made me get inspired and keep going. (obviously, I know how long it will take. I'm still a year away from my target weight... takes time doing it correctly without destroying yourself)

the thing is to not make it about the scale/mirror so much. but in milestones. Couldn't walk half a mile but in a week or two up to 2 miles etc. stuff like that. Getting stronger in lifts/machines.
    Recovering fatass

paulosantos0922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paulosantos0922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paulosantos0922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paulosantos0922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paulosantos0922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paulosantos0922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paulosantos0922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paulosantos0922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paulosantos0922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paulosantos0922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paulosantos0922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    It is very frustrating to everyone. I have co-workers who I try to help and they all want that magic pill that will get them to lose that weight as fat as they can. So far the best thing that has worked is that I tell than that they don't want to lose weight that fast unless they want to look like Fat Bastard from the Autin Power movies or the contestants from the biggest loser where they are all flabby and look worse than before. I also tell them that most people that try to lose weight too fast will fail most of the time because they revert back to their old ways and gain the weight back and then some. So far, it is working better and two of my co-workers are actually making some serious progress.

MS,CSCS,CF-L1,USAW,WBB HamburgerTrain's Avatar
    HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by samsont View Post
    no matter how true it is, that doesn't sound very tactful. As a former 300+lber who was very sedentary at one point, quick gains is the thing that made me get inspired and keep going. (obviously, I know how long it will take. I'm still a year away from my target weight... takes time doing it correctly without destroying yourself)

the thing is to not make it about the scale/mirror so much. but in milestones. Couldn't walk half a mile but in a week or two up to 2 miles etc. stuff like that. Getting stronger in lifts/machines.
    99% of the population that should care does not give a $hit about physical milestones. Most of the time, people seem to just want to be told all of these things they can't do anymore. Like, don't drink soda, don't eat sugar, don't eat fast food, etc. Everyone wants negative reinforcement. It sucks but that is our society.

Seriosuly though, good for you. You will most likely be one of the small percentage of people that make a significant life change and actually see it through to a long term end.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."

samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    99% of the population that should care does not give a $hit about physical milestones. Most of the time, people seem to just want to be told all of these things they can't do anymore. Like, don't drink soda, don't eat sugar, don't eat fast food, etc. Everyone wants negative reinforcement. It sucks but that is our society.

Seriosuly though, good for you. You will most likely be one of the small percentage of people that make a significant life change and actually see it through to a long term end.
    took me a few years of being that person you said would walk out when they realized it gonna take a few years lol. Thanks though.
    Recovering fatass

GDPONE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GDPONE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GDPONE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GDPONE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GDPONE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GDPONE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GDPONE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GDPONE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GDPONE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GDPONE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GDPONE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Yeah at this point right now for me its about making all these changes habbit more than anything. It figure if I can keep this up for at least one month it will start to become habbit more than anything. Thats MY first milestone. Being as thats my biggest failure is not continuing to do something. Luckily ive only been this fat for about 3 years so hopefully ive not done too much damage to my body.

BringtheNoise is a name known to all. (+5000) BringtheNoise is a name known to all. (+5000) BringtheNoise is a name known to all. (+5000) BringtheNoise is a name known to all. (+5000) BringtheNoise is a name known to all. (+5000) BringtheNoise is a name known to all. (+5000) BringtheNoise is a name known to all. (+5000) BringtheNoise is a name known to all. (+5000) BringtheNoise is a name known to all. (+5000) BringtheNoise is a name known to all. (+5000) BringtheNoise is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Go to the nutrition section and read the stickies. Lift heavy things.
    Training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=152183263

Ok so its been a few weeks and have been sticking religiously to allpros routine. I will be starting week 4 tomorrow. My diet/eating habbits have been for the most part good. You can review here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/ewells2420 Im starting to notice a little fat loss maybe. Hard to tell if its just my muscles tightening up or if its fat loss. The scale has barely moved. It started at 338, down to 333, now back to 337. During this time ive also been taking creatine so I have to wonder if some of that is water weight. And also some msucle gain.

Like I said though I can tell some areas dont look as flabby and deffinately feel the strength. Have been progressing on reps and weights nicely. I think im about set into my way so this is almost a habbit. Maybe another few weeks to be safe to call it. Once I do 5x5 of allpros workout I want to move onto more powerlifting stuff and will have to find an actual gym I can do deadlifts and stuff and really start lifting heavy.

SeanVHA60013 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanVHA60013 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanVHA60013 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanVHA60013 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanVHA60013 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanVHA60013 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanVHA60013 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanVHA60013 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanVHA60013 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanVHA60013 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanVHA60013 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Awesome job, keep up the good work and don't pay attention to the scale at this point, just eat good, workout consistantly, and the health benefits are already pouring in regardless of any percieved loss of lbs.
    "I just want to work out and be happy"

paulosantos0922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paulosantos0922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paulosantos0922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paulosantos0922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paulosantos0922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paulosantos0922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paulosantos0922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paulosantos0922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paulosantos0922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paulosantos0922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paulosantos0922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Too many days like February 17 will set you back a week or two. There's nothing wrong with a cheat meal, especially for dinner, but you should have compensated by having a light breakfast and lunch.

You should check out Carb Nite, which has a built in Carb Backload day, which lets you eat a lot.

Originally Posted by SeanVHA60013 View Post
    Awesome job, keep up the good work and don't pay attention to the scale at this point, just eat good, workout consistantly, and the health benefits are already pouring in regardless of any percieved loss of lbs.
    Thanks man. Thats basically what im doing at this point. If after another two weeks I dont see weight dropping I will have to lower my intake even more.

Too many days like February 17 will set you back a week or two. There's nothing wrong with a cheat meal, especially for dinner, but you should have compensated by having a light breakfast and lunch.

You should check out Carb Nite, which has a built in Carb Backload day, which lets you eat a lot.
    Yeah I dun goofed. It was the mead and beer that really did it. I dont plan on doing that again. But I figure a day like that once in a great while wont hurt and will help morale. Whats done is done and I put it behind me the next day.

wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000)
    just eat enough protein and start bodybuilding if all you care about is getting looks. Make sure you do lots of upper back work if you wanna look scary. YOu can traps up to 3x week
    Mirin'triceps peak? Thanks westside barbell.

Gettin'older, studying MMA in Brazil gonna fight soon, on my own crew.

Originally Posted by wanaBsedated View Post
    just eat enough protein and start bodybuilding if all you care about is getting looks. Make sure you do lots of upper back work if you wanna look scary. YOu can traps up to 3x week
    Nah I dont really care about looking shredded. Just lean enough for the muscles to be defined but want to be strong as fuuurak. Really my goals would be 300 bench, 300 squat, and 300 dead. I figure at that point im strong enough and would start to work on endurance/cardio while mantaining strength.

Also just re-measured myself and lost 1 inch in my waist, thighs, and arm. So something is happening. Provided I measured it correctly, which im pretty sure I did.
    Last edited by GDPONE; 02-24-2013 at 01:17 PM.

bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by GDPONE View Post
    Fortuneately I never subscribed to the belief that long slow ass slinky runs were in anyway shape or form good for me. But yeah I just need to get into the habbit of doing it and should be cake after that. Funny how your biggest enemy is always yourself.

In other news Im almost done cooking myself 50 meals for just one week lol. Kicking my ass more than I thought I would. Im starting to wonder if these meal plans are designed for you to actually want to start hating food.
    Training, nutrition, and recovery should all become a process instead of a novel activity. That's not to say you'll become complacent in the process, but it will definitely become instinctual. Keep pushing yourself to become stronger and more efficient in each method regardless of how tedious things become. You'll hit brick walls repeatedly. We all find hardships along the way, but if you slack off or stop completely then you'll hate yourself when you decide to get back in the game later.

Find a routine, stick to it, eat smart, keep your eyes on the prize. It will become much more simple than it seems right now.
    Excuses are just tools of incompetence
    Used to build monuments of nothingness
    And those who specialize in the uses
    Seldom achieve anything

So let me tell you, in case youve never had the pleasure ... trying to run @ 337ish lbs sucks fat nuts. But I actually did better than I thought I would. Ran for 30 seconds, walked for like 4-5 minutes for about 20min. In all about 1.5 miles. Though it was so brutal on my shins I think I will use the eliptical machines at my apartments gym. But I will be lifting mon, wed., friday, and cardio tues, thurs, sat. Appearently eating at a calorie deficit alone isnt doing it.

Trah275 is a name known to all. (+5000) Trah275 is a name known to all. (+5000) Trah275 is a name known to all. (+5000) Trah275 is a name known to all. (+5000) Trah275 is a name known to all. (+5000) Trah275 is a name known to all. (+5000) Trah275 is a name known to all. (+5000) Trah275 is a name known to all. (+5000) Trah275 is a name known to all. (+5000) Trah275 is a name known to all. (+5000) Trah275 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Elipticals for fatties are awesome. I've gone from about 330 to about 200 and the eliptical was a big part of it. I wouldn't do it as extreme as I did (i basically starved myself for 3 months and lost 72lbs) but they are great if you're just getting into things

I started out not being able to do 3 minutes but soon I got to a point where I was doing 30 minutes before and after my "workout".

Originally Posted by Trah275 View Post
    Elipticals for fatties are awesome. I've gone from about 330 to about 200 and the eliptical was a big part of it. I wouldn't do it as extreme as I did (i basically starved myself for 3 months and lost 72lbs) but they are great if you're just getting into things

I started out not being able to do 3 minutes but soon I got to a point where I was doing 30 minutes before and after my "workout".
    Yeah I dont want to lose any/much muscle while cutting so Im trying to lose slowly. And I dont mind running but its so hard on my shins and im sure on my body in general right now that I dont want to risk injury.

Either you are entering your food wrong, or there is something else going on. When I checked your food blog, I didnt see any reason why you aren't dropping a couple of lbs a week.

BeardPress will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeardPress will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeardPress will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeardPress will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeardPress will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeardPress will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeardPress will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeardPress will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeardPress will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeardPress will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeardPress will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just looked at your BodySpace and you definitely have the wrists of a Strongman. Big joints are a huge bonus for begining strength, you should do well if you stay commited to this.

dizz6587 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dizz6587 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dizz6587 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dizz6587 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dizz6587 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dizz6587 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dizz6587 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dizz6587 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dizz6587 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dizz6587 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dizz6587 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You will still gain muscle. I would pick ONE day a week and have a CHEAT MEAL. Not a CHEAT DAY.

Cut out the crap carbs and replace them with veggies. Have some sweet potatoes for carbs. Eat meats and eggs for protein.
    So much this!!

Strongmen aren't worried about body fat percentage as much as they're worried about strength. Obviously, being the world's strongest man isn't possible if you're also the world's fattest man but... Priorities.

In my experience (as a woman, with crap for testosterone) you can build muscle AND cut fat so long as you maintain a slight caloric surplus, eat lots of protein and fat, and lift as heavy as you can (within the guidelines of the right program - not just max efforts 24/7).

Trah275 is a name known to all. (+5000) Trah275 is a name known to all. (+5000) Trah275 is a name known to all. (+5000) Trah275 is a name known to all. (+5000) Trah275 is a name known to all. (+5000) Trah275 is a name known to all. (+5000) Trah275 is a name known to all. (+5000) Trah275 is a name known to all. (+5000) Trah275 is a name known to all. (+5000) Trah275 is a name known to all. (+5000) Trah275 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yeah I dont want to lose any/much muscle while cutting so Im trying to lose slowly. And I dont mind running but its so hard on my shins and im sure on my body in general right now that I dont want to risk injury.
    Good, I did it the wrong way and is a contributing factor as to why I'm so weak today...also losing the weight slowly will help reduce the unfortunateness of saggy skin...even if you don't mind running, I would still recommend the eliptical just because of how easy it is on your joints...

Also you should move to s.d. and train with us...I love your beard...it seems the dudes I train with are genetically inferior when it comes to beards...

Nathan17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nathan17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nathan17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nathan17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nathan17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nathan17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nathan17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nathan17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nathan17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nathan17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nathan17 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Was feeling like utter **** today but this thread is inspiring! Can't wait to train monday

Either you are entering your food wrong, or there is something else going on. When I checked your food blog, I didnt see any reason why you aren't dropping a couple of lbs a week.
    Yeah I would suspect im entering the food in wrong too. However ive made an effort to double check my portions and I actually measure my amount of food. One thing I do notice is the other morning I wokeup and immediately weighed myself and it showed 334. If I weight myself at night, its still showing about 338-339.

In anycase Ive lowered my setting for 2lbs/week, which is max. If I am underestimating my food intake this should help.

Originally Posted by BeardPress View Post
    Just looked at your BodySpace and you definitely have the wrists of a Strongman. Big joints are a huge bonus for begining strength, you should do well if you stay commited to this.
    Thanks dude. I have always felt I have pretty big joints/bones, ect. And im doing my best to stay committed. Its becoming less and less of a chore and more just routine. Im waiting for my first full 5 weeks of allpros routine before I post update pictures.

Originally Posted by dizz6587 View Post
    So much this!!

Strongmen aren't worried about body fat percentage as much as they're worried about strength. Obviously, being the world's strongest man isn't possible if you're also the world's fattest man but... Priorities.

In my experience (as a woman, with crap for testosterone) you can build muscle AND cut fat so long as you maintain a slight caloric surplus, eat lots of protein and fat, and lift as heavy as you can (within the guidelines of the right program - not just max efforts 24/7).
    True. I do find myself mistaking/confusing BB with strongman. I guess I really need to figure out what it is I want to do still. I definitely dont want to be super cut. But at my BF I think I should be more concerned with coming down a lot first.

Good, I did it the wrong way and is a contributing factor as to why I'm so weak today...also losing the weight slowly will help reduce the unfortunateness of saggy skin...even if you don't mind running, I would still recommend the eliptical just because of how easy it is on your joints...

Also you should move to s.d. and train with us...I love your beard...it seems the dudes I train with are genetically inferior when it comes to beards...
    Yeah I was also thinking about saggy skin. God I hope I dont get that. And yeah ive decided either walking or eliptical. I would prefer the eliptical though as walking takes a lot longer to burn the same calories. Going tonight so we will see how I do. And haha thanks for the beard love. Though I actually shaved it off not too long after my AVI. Im growing it back better this time though.

Originally Posted by Nathan17 View Post
    Was feeling like utter **** today but this thread is inspiring! Can't wait to train monday
    Thank you very much. I cant tell you how much this inspired ME to hear that. To be honest I feel like **** today too haha. Im pretty sure ive got my first DOMS and my shoulder/upper left arm is killing me. Only my left arm though. A weird feeling. It doesnt hurt per say, and its not sore. Just feels spent/inflammed.

Anyway thanks all for replying and whatnot, it helps keep me engaged. Also I will be starting to take bioforge today so we will see how that goes.

Yeah I was also thinking about saggy skin. God I hope I dont get that. And yeah ive decided either walking or eliptical. I would prefer the eliptical though as walking takes a lot longer to burn the same calories. Going tonight so we will see how I do. And haha thanks for the beard love. Though I actually shaved it off not too long after my AVI. Im growing it back better this time though.
    Something that I've come to realize and help me is to not think about how many calories I've burned during cardio. Honestly I don't think the machines can accurately take in all the variables anyway. Instead use it as a tool for conditioning. I know everybody has to go through the process, but I'm sure in the end you're going to stop counting calories and start basing everything by how you feel.

I used to be obsessed with calories, but then when I didn't see the math adding up with my no weight loss I became very depressed. Even though my wife told me my body comp was changing I didn't believe her because I wasn't losing weight.

Then I said **** it all and got into powerlifting routines (they were horrible because I didn't know wtf I was doing) and started using the elliptical for conditioning so I wasn't a weazing mess walking around the block.

Something that I've come to realize and help me is to not think about how many calories I've burned during cardio. Honestly I don't think the machines can accurately take in all the variables anyway. Instead use it as a tool for conditioning. I know everybody has to go through the process, but I'm sure in the end you're going to stop counting calories and start basing everything by how you feel.

I used to be obsessed with calories, but then when I didn't see the math adding up with my no weight loss I became very depressed. Even though my wife told me my body comp was changing I didn't believe her because I wasn't losing weight.

Then I said **** it all and got into powerlifting routines (they were horrible because I didn't know wtf I was doing) and started using the elliptical for conditioning so I wasn't a weazing mess walking around the block.
    Yeah im thinking about not counting the cardio days calorie deficit. Just doing it to help further my fitness level like you said.

hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Personal experience and advice from a fellow big fat guy.

Make sure you can walk comfortably for two hours, a physical fitness test, before starting a lifting routine that involved heavy weights. I got to the point of being able to squat 600+ lbs, but not walk for 5 minutes without winding myself.

With a high body fat 30% + you can skip carbs. In my own experience I did not eat carbs until was squatting and deadlifting over bodyweight on StrongLifts.

In one year of StrongLifts I made it to 470 5x51.5 bw squats weighing 312lbs gaining only 7lbs in the process. It is very likely that if you do a linear progression program like StrongLifts or Starting Strength that you will not loose any weight, though you will find your clothes fit different.

In hindsight, these are my two biggest mistakes. Continuing StrongLifts beyond 1.5bw squats. I could still progress on the lifts, but the food demands were great, and I was not being that picky about what I ate. The second mistake was competing in the SHW class in powerlifting. Nothing wrong with competing in the SHW class, but myself personally, did not have the discipline to diet needed to do so without getting overly fat. I got so fat I could not dead lift anymore and getting squat below parallel with your big belly hitting your thighs is next to impossible. I am now dieting and walking, trying to get my fitness back so that I can start lifting again.

Back to linear progression if you are going that route stop at 1.5bw squats if you make it that far and choose a program that does not require as many calories as linear progression does. 5/3/1 would be a good choice at that point.

DrStriation will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrStriation will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrStriation will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrStriation will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrStriation will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrStriation will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrStriation will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrStriation will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrStriation will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrStriation will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrStriation will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Walking seems a big part of this thread

Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Just some thoughts:

Seperate diet and training, i.e the diet = weight loss, don't count weight training or cardio into the equation, it doesn't matter.

Don't be running at your size. When I was 330lbs I picked up running, and I also picked up a knee injury which I still feel the effects of, 3 years later. Use the eliptical, but to be honest there is no reason to be doing a whole lot of cardio. Concentrate on your diet, and do some walking if you want. The rest of the health benefits will come from lifting weights.

Regarding saggy skin, you can't fight it. Some get it, others do not. I only got a little bit of saggy skin after going down from 330lbs to 205lbs in about 1,5 years. Barely noticable. The stretch-marks are there to stay though, but they will fade if they already haven't.

Regarding routine - In my experience I had to "force" myself to be training until I loved it. I might feel from time to time that hey know its just like a habit! When in fact it was not. Regardless, just keep at it.

For those saying high rep does more for your weightloss etc thats just silly. Diet will be dealing with the weight loss, progressive overload with the strength part. It doesn't matter how many reps, but obviously the lower the reps the faster you can up the weight so it only makes sense to be doing fewer reps with heavier weights.

My 2 cents

Originally Posted by Horizon92 View Post
    Just some thoughts:

Seperate diet and training, i.e the diet = weight loss, don't count weight training or cardio into the equation, it doesn't matter.

Don't be running at your size. When I was 330lbs I picked up running, and I also picked up a knee injury which I still feel the effects of, 3 years later. Use the eliptical, but to be honest there is no reason to be doing a whole lot of cardio. Concentrate on your diet, and do some walking if you want. The rest of the health benefits will come from lifting weights.

Regarding saggy skin, you can't fight it. Some get it, others do not. I only got a little bit of saggy skin after going down from 330lbs to 205lbs in about 1,5 years. Barely noticable. The stretch-marks are there to stay though, but they will fade if they already haven't.

Regarding routine - In my experience I had to "force" myself to be training until I loved it. I might feel from time to time that hey know its just like a habit! When in fact it was not. Regardless, just keep at it.

For those saying high rep does more for your weightloss etc thats just silly. Diet will be dealing with the weight loss, progressive overload with the strength part. It doesn't matter how many reps, but obviously the lower the reps the faster you can up the weight so it only makes sense to be doing fewer reps with heavier weights.

My 2 cents
    I agree. Control your weight with your diet and use the exercise (heavy lifting) to shape your body. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time or energy doing bull**** cardio like the elliptical. I'd just focus on eating right and lifting heavy weights. Once you drop a significant amount of weight, then start doing some good cardio.