amos76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

LHB Bicep snapped! - Proximal Bicep Tenodesis Procedure

Hi,

Have been reading a few threads regarding Bicep injuries, I snapped the outer bicep tendon (Long Head Bicep - attached to the shoulder) when boxing and my outer bicep just recoiled halfway down my arm (from the Delt). There was no pain or bruising whatsoever - I just felt a popping sensation in the shoulder.

When I flexed the bicep I had quite a peak (known commonly as a "popeye" arm) and there was a gap between my shoulder and bicep. My first appointment was at A & E (as I was also getting my fractured hand seen to) and the Orthopedist there told me that it is a common injury and refused to surgically reattach it as they say you can live with a detached LHB tendon and that it would just mean a slight loss of strength. Naturally I wasn't happy about the prognosis and I got a second opinion and my the surgeon whom I saw was very keen to get me fixed asap.

Within 3 weeks of the injury (the Surgeon told me that for the best results you need to have the procedure within 3/4weeks of the detachment) I was operated on - the procedure was a known as a Sub Pectoral Bicep Tenodesis. This basically involved attaching the bicep tendon to the Humerus bone (top of the arm) by screwing it in with a Titanium screw with the tendon held with a Suture & titanium anchor.

I'm currently on the below supplements to aide recovery and continuing with a high protien intake as muscular atrophy is inevitable:

Vitamin C
    Vitamin B6
    Vitamin B12
    Vitamin D3
    Glucosomine
    Flaxseed oil
    Supper Cissus

Not sure about taking HGH & Nandrolone yet though?

Post Surgery I was given Naproxen, Tramadol & regular Paracetemaol.

Its been 3 weeks since the operation and my Surgeon has told me to keep it a sling for another 3 weeks (total of 6 weeks since the op), Most of the swelling has appeared to gone down however I am still a little black and blue up and around the shoulders and triceps. The outer bicep itself feels very taught and stretched with a little swelling however the shape is slowly beginning to re-appear. I won't be starting rehab until I lose the sling... was contemplating on hitting the gym and continue with lower body workouts however I dont want to risk aggrevating anything - so will probably wait until I get the go ahead form my Surgeon/Consultant.

Interested to hear anyone else's experience with Bicep tendon surgery and suggested recovery/rehab protocol.

Taipan13 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by amos76 View Post
    Hi,

Have been reading a few threads regarding Bicep injuries, I snapped the outer bicep tendon (Long Head Bicep - attached to the shoulder) when boxing and my outer bicep just recoiled halfway down my arm (from the Delt). There was no pain or bruising whatsoever - I just felt a popping sensation in the shoulder.

When I flexed the bicep I had quite a peak (known commonly as a "popeye" arm) and there was a gap between my shoulder and bicep. My first appointment was at A & E (as I was also getting my fractured hand seen to) and the Orthopedist there told me that it is a common injury and refused to surgically reattach it as they say you can live with a detached LHB tendon and that it would just mean a slight loss of strength. Naturally I wasn't happy about the prognosis and I got a second opinion and my the surgeon whom I saw was very keen to get me fixed asap.

Within 3 weeks of the injury (the Surgeon told me that for the best results you need to have the procedure within 3/4weeks of the detachment) I was operated on - the procedure was a known as a Sub Pectoral Bicep Tenodesis. This basically involved attaching the bicep tendon to the Humerus bone (top of the arm) by screwing it in with a Titanium screw with the tendon held with a Suture & titanium anchor.

I'm currently on the below supplements to aide recovery and continuing with a high protien intake as muscular atrophy is inevitable:

Vitamin C
    Vitamin B6
    Vitamin B12
    Vitamin D3
    Glucosomine
    Flaxseed oil
    Supper Cissus

Not sure about taking HGH & Nandrolone yet though?

Post Surgery I was given Naproxen, Tramadol & regular Paracetemaol.

Its been 3 weeks since the operation and my Surgeon has told me to keep it a sling for another 3 weeks (total of 6 weeks since the op), Most of the swelling has appeared to gone down however I am still a little black and blue up and around the shoulders and triceps. The outer bicep itself feels very taught and stretched with a little swelling however the shape is slowly beginning to re-appear. I won't be starting rehab until I lose the sling... was contemplating on hitting the gym and continue with lower body workouts however I dont want to risk aggrevating anything - so will probably wait until I get the go ahead form my Surgeon/Consultant.

Interested to hear anyone else's experience with Bicep tendon surgery and suggested recovery/rehab protocol.
    How're you doing now, you have any pain, have you got your full strength back? I would be interested to hear.