judyjammy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Need Advise on Workouts for People with Tinnitus

Hello everyone,

I was diagnosed with tinnitus (a constant ringing noise in the ear) in my right ear. It happened because I play in a band for a living. When I signed up for workouts at the gym, it made my tinnitus worse and it affected my left ear as well. I was advised not to lift weights and do strenuous activities. I wanted to tone and build muscle on certain areas of my body. If any of you has the same condition (tinnitus) as mine, what types of body exercises can you recommend that will meet my goals? Thank you very much.

Judy

Tillday is just really nice. (+1000) Tillday is just really nice. (+1000) Tillday is just really nice. (+1000) Tillday is just really nice. (+1000) Tillday is just really nice. (+1000) Tillday is just really nice. (+1000) Tillday is just really nice. (+1000) Tillday is just really nice. (+1000) Tillday is just really nice. (+1000) Tillday is just really nice. (+1000) Tillday is just really nice. (+1000)
    Focus on moderate exercises that don't force you into an over-exhausted state, try weight schemes that give you more flexibility and lighter weights and extend your workout over more sets instead of going heavy each set.
    Something like 5x5 where you're using less than your 5 rep max and not coming to full exhaustion until set 5 that way if you think it's becoming worse you can stop and still have some sets done.

Also make sure to take long rests between sets to let your heartbeat and breathing stabilize, I'm guessing the big issue is blood pressure in your head, so you might want to get one of those watches that gives your beats per minute and try to keep it under a certain amount.
    -Crohn's Disease crew
    -Strict limited diet crew
    -Gluten Free Crew
    Starting weight 114.

My journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=140012233
    Oil cleanse your face: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156983633&pagenumber=

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I have tinnitus (not excessively bad, but there is always at least a subtle ringing in my ears... sucks at night when trying to sleep) and didn't ever notice or think it was a factor in my lifting.

I just put my headphones in, listen to my music and lift.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

RoyKr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RoyKr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My tinnitus gets much worse if i tense my neck, which i suppose can be hard to avoid on certain exercises. Luckily it hasn't become a problem in the gym.

what types of body exercises can you recommend that will meet my goals?
    Stick to the basics (read stickies for more info) and find a way of doing it that's relatively comfortable for you.

TakedaShingen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TakedaShingen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TakedaShingen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TakedaShingen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TakedaShingen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TakedaShingen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TakedaShingen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TakedaShingen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TakedaShingen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TakedaShingen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TakedaShingen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by chazzy1864 View Post
    I have tinnitus (not excessively bad, but there is always at least a subtle ringing in my ears... sucks at night when trying to sleep) and didn't ever notice or think it was a factor in my lifting.

I just put my headphones in, listen to my music and lift.
    This.

I've had tinnitus since I was a kid. Usually affects me while trying to fall asleep more than any other time, but there are times when my heart rate is spiked and I can hear that heartbeat ringing in my ear. I don't even pay attention to it. I'll put my headphones in and go. I lift heavy and I've never once had it affect a workout.
    "The code of Bushido is harsh and relentless."

Olympic Lifting Log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158765663

jmccauley1229 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmccauley1229 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmccauley1229 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmccauley1229 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmccauley1229 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmccauley1229 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmccauley1229 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmccauley1229 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmccauley1229 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmccauley1229 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmccauley1229 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    with everyone else here. I share in having tinnitus, and have never heard of anyone being advised not to work out because of it. who advised you of this? and when you are lifting, are you breathing? I am confused as to how this would effect you so adversely?

judyjammy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I guess there have been many things that caused this condition, as I was always exposed to loud music, stress, too much caffeine, my lifestyle wasn't healthy. The ENT first told it might be caused by the impacted wax in my ear, which has already been cleaned up. And it has also something to do with blood pressure rising on head whenever I do anything strenuous. I find it difficult sleeping, I tried to turn the AC and the fan on just to kill the ringing but then it leaves me sleepless, as I only pay attention to the noise. A friend of mine's got tinnitus as well and said that melatonin can be used for sleeplessness, does it really work?

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Melatonin does work well in helping to fall asleep. I take it most nights.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'd get a second opinion on this one - it doesn't sound right to me.

I have very bad tinnitus. I have serious hearing loss too, which came about from going through chemotherapy a few years back. Along with the tinnitus, I also got serious dizziness and vertigo attacks.

Plenty of people told me not to start running and lifting. In the end I decided to ignore them, and take my chances. I've never regretted that decision. Since I got fit, the dizziness and vertigo attacks went altogether. My hearing is still terrible, but hey, you can't have everything.

I'd always question any advice that stops you from doing what you love.
    Change what you do and you'll change who you are.