Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    hgivens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

1,000 push ups a day

I decided I wanted to set a goal in order to do 1,000 push ups in a day, not all at one time of course. I plan on starting at 20 push ups, 5 times a day for a week. Then each week at +20 push ups each time. So week 2 I'd do 40 push ups 5 times. Week 3 I'd do 80 push ups each time. By week 10 I'd be doing 200 push ups each time, giving me 1,000 push ups.

I thought of this my self, and I'm not a personal trainer or anything, but I expect 7 days of doing push ups should allow me to do 20 more each time the next week. Also, I'm not doing them all within an hour. I'll do some when I wake up, then around lunch time. Some before and after dinner, then before I go to bed. So they'll be broken up throughout the day.

I was wondering if this would be too hard on my muscles doing push ups every day for 10 weeks. Should I add a break day or are push ups not enough to cause you the need of a break day?

Apocalyp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Apocalyp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Apocalyp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Apocalyp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Apocalyp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Apocalyp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Apocalyp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Apocalyp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Apocalyp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Apocalyp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Apocalyp is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Lol, goodluck.. cant bench press or something?
    ** MISC LIFTING CREW **

Proud to be dutch!!

Originally Posted by Apocalyp View Post
    Lol, goodluck.. cant bench press or something?
    Well, I've been reading up on Herschel Walker, a famous pro football player and mixed martial artist who never touched a weight. He did push ups, pull ups and sit ups every day, according to his team mates he is able to out lift a lot of them.

Cablebob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cablebob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cablebob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cablebob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cablebob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cablebob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cablebob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cablebob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cablebob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cablebob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cablebob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    hypertrophy needs rest.

Tillday is just really nice. (+1000) Tillday is just really nice. (+1000) Tillday is just really nice. (+1000) Tillday is just really nice. (+1000) Tillday is just really nice. (+1000) Tillday is just really nice. (+1000) Tillday is just really nice. (+1000) Tillday is just really nice. (+1000) Tillday is just really nice. (+1000) Tillday is just really nice. (+1000) Tillday is just really nice. (+1000)
    He also claims he only eats 1 meal a day and is a vegetarian. Something smells fishy.
    -Crohn's Disease crew
    -Strict limited diet crew
    -Gluten Free Crew
    Starting weight 114.

My journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=140012233
    Oil cleanse your face: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156983633&pagenumber=

Originally Posted by Cablebob View Post
    hypertrophy needs rest.
    I thought you only needed rest for workouts that effected the Sarcoplasm, push ups effect the majority of the Myofibrils. Could be wrong, still in my first year of med school.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by hgivens View Post
    Well, I've been reading up on Herschel Walker, a famous pro football player and mixed martial artist who never touched a weight. He did push ups, pull ups and sit ups every day, according to his team mates he is able to out lift a lot of them.
    Probably not a good idea to duplicate the training (especially training that which goes against the grain of conventional thinking) of a highly-genetically-gifted, former professional athlete and then expect to get anywhere near the same results as he. And he's just one guy; how many others like him do you know of? And for that matter, who's to say what he really does or doesn't do?

It's your dime though. Give it a shot if you wish.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000)
    In prison they do pushups all day long.There is a guy who claims he does 2500 a day. Not sure I buy it, but if thats all you do....OK.
    http://www.hollandreflexology.com/

SESnut will become famous soon enough. (+50) SESnut will become famous soon enough. (+50) SESnut will become famous soon enough. (+50) SESnut will become famous soon enough. (+50) SESnut will become famous soon enough. (+50) SESnut will become famous soon enough. (+50) SESnut will become famous soon enough. (+50) SESnut will become famous soon enough. (+50) SESnut will become famous soon enough. (+50) SESnut will become famous soon enough. (+50) SESnut will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Walker says he sleeps five hours a night and eats only one meal a day (skipping breakfast and lunch). He is a vegetarian and his diet is made up mostly of soup, bread and salad.

If you think one meal of soup, bread, and salad has enough calories to feed a 6'1" 220 lbs man and keep him that way, then **** you; youre stupid

Ninetysix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ninetysix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ninetysix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ninetysix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ninetysix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ninetysix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ninetysix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ninetysix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ninetysix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ninetysix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ninetysix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Good luck. Keep a log and post again in a few months for some results or lack thereof.

DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by SESnut View Post
    Walker says he sleeps five hours a night and eats only one meal a day (skipping breakfast and lunch). He is a vegetarian and his diet is made up mostly of soup, bread and salad.

If you think one meal of soup, bread, and salad has enough calories to feed a 6'1" 220 lbs man and keep him that way, then **** you; youre stupid
    I smell a Lance Armweak connotation in your post!

Love it
    http://www.hollandreflexology.com/

lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SESnut View Post
    Walker has a mental illness so he's not lying he's just crazy. I thought he ate fried chicken for the meal because He owns fried chicken joints. He is also a genetic freak and he's almost 50. Nothing wrong with setting a fitness goal, but be sure to do squats and pull ups if you can. You don't want only a chest.

blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Arman6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Arman6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Arman6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Arman6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Arman6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Arman6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Arman6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Arman6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Arman6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Arman6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Arman6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    do 5 pushups every 3.5 minutes.

Registered User blazing_hellion's Avatar
    blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    good luck with your goal of 1000 in a day!

done that challenge a few times and always feel awesome after! minus my muscles tensing like crazy. anyway if your going to spread it out through the week, it might be wiser to do either an easy set throughout the day but a LOT of easy sets. then every 2 weeks or so do a push up workout, aka make the first week to 250 in a mini workout with a few days rest. then in 2 more weeks 500, then 750 then the 100. increasing pushups done by 20 each set might work from the beginning, but once you get in the higher amounts, i dont see that working too well at some point.

if you watch a lot of tv, just do sets at commercials, or if your watching a movie, do sets every 10 or so minutes. or you can take a twist on a drinking game where instead of a shot when something happens, do pushups. personally when im playing video games, ill do that but with pushups handstand pushups, pull ups, etc. that way im never really getting tired, but im also getting a quick mini workout in multiple times. all my pullup and pushups and everything are slowly going up but its not effecting my gym performance much. minus feeling stronger and more stable.
    "The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender!"

"A lesson without pain is meaningless. For you cannot gain something without sacrificing something else in return. But once you have overcome it and made it your own... You will posses a irreplaceable Full-metal heart." -Full Metal Alchemist

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    BW work is of course less intensive on the CNS and body; however, you still need time to recuperate both mentally and physically. The best approach is to start with one or two rest days and eliminate (or add) them as needed via trial and error.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I decided I wanted to set a goal in order to do 1,000 push ups in a day, not all at one time of course. I plan on starting at 20 push ups, 5 times a day for a week. Then each week at +20 push ups each time. So week 2 I'd do 40 push ups 5 times. Week 3 I'd do 80 push ups each time. By week 10 I'd be doing 200 push ups each time, giving me 1,000 push ups.

I thought of this my self, and I'm not a personal trainer or anything, but I expect 7 days of doing push ups should allow me to do 20 more each time the next week. Also, I'm not doing them all within an hour. I'll do some when I wake up, then around lunch time. Some before and after dinner, then before I go to bed. So they'll be broken up throughout the day.

I was wondering if this would be too hard on my muscles doing push ups every day for 10 weeks. Should I add a break day or are push ups not enough to cause you the need of a break day?
    What is the purpose of this goal? What do you expect to gain? Why would you workout throughout the entire day opposed to just one time so that you can recover the rest of the time? You'd get so much farther in strength, hypertrophy, and mobility with concentrating on lifting weights than being an ******* doing push-ups throughout the day. How do you plan to counteract working the muscles hit in push-ups by hitting your muscles in the back?

Registered User akmusclehamster's Avatar
    akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100)
    you think your genetics are as good as herschel walker?
    herschel walker and mike tyson are 2 of MILLIONS of people in the world who can sustain muscle mass with bodyweight exercises. if you could be as muscular as them doing only bodyweight exercises youd be naturally jacked by the age of 16

EDIT: i am a big proponent of bodyweight exercises, i love pullups, pullups, dips, etc and all their variations but i wouldn't have the overall size/power i do now (not saying i have a lot) without the core lifting i do.

the BW exercises give me the endurance, core stability and maneuverability i need but weights will always give you the best strength/size
    Compound Weights, Bodyweight Exercises and Sprinting

sallyjoseph has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think whether you are doing 3 count push ups, diamond push ups, timed push ups, etc. It's not going to help you doing 1000 a day. Especially if you have not done 1000 a day in increments of more than 50 at a time. You need to let your body rest. If you do 1000 push ups over three days or 1000 push ups a day three times a week, your muscles will grow stronger. Not to mention that there will be less of a risk of injury. Your muscles grow by tearing and repairing. If you continuously do push ups at that rate your muscles will tear without adequate time to repair, which will give you the opposite reaction you are aiming for.

Alton123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The best thing to do to lose weight is create a good diet and stick to it, That's how you lose weight, Cardio can help but the real battle is the kitchen, As for weights, they will help shed fat but they will also create an overall more aesthetic physique....

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    if you have the same genetics as herchel walker you should get the same results.

Maybe if the dude had done some squats he would have been better as a pro?

magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    exactly what I thought of when I saw thread title
    East Coast Mecca
    http://bevfrancis.com/

jjmaster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

Your muscles will tell you by how sore they are. If they're sore the next day, you take the day off and rest. I've done 1,000+ in a day 22 times now (in a 2.5 year span) once on back to back days, and twice over 2,000. I don't usually do sets of 20, but normally 8-10 total sets throughout the day. You might want to work up to being able to do more per set so it doesn't take all day. Don't worry about doing them every single day. Just keep at it. Any questions just ask, I have a 6 year exercise log that I've kept.

BojackuUSMC is just really nice. (+1000) BojackuUSMC is just really nice. (+1000) BojackuUSMC is just really nice. (+1000) BojackuUSMC is just really nice. (+1000) BojackuUSMC is just really nice. (+1000) BojackuUSMC is just really nice. (+1000) BojackuUSMC is just really nice. (+1000) BojackuUSMC is just really nice. (+1000) BojackuUSMC is just really nice. (+1000) BojackuUSMC is just really nice. (+1000) BojackuUSMC is just really nice. (+1000)
    1000 push ups per day?? I will probably get bored after few days...

helpfit101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) helpfit101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) helpfit101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) helpfit101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) helpfit101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) helpfit101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) helpfit101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) helpfit101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) helpfit101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) helpfit101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) helpfit101 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Well I've had some success with "grease the groove" which basically means you pick something you want to get better at and do it a lot but only 1-3 reps and only if you're feeling strong and rested.

I chose to do pull ups. I only do these on days when I don't workout. Then when I see a pull up bar like at the park or at my house on one of my doors I do 2-3 easy reps and that's it. I saw people mention to install a pull up bar on your toilet door and do 2-3 pull ups every time you go to use the rest room. If you can do 8-10 pull ups the 2-3 don't hardly affect you at all. You can do this 10-20 times per day easy. So you get a fair amount of volume and your body will "learn" the movement=grease the groove.

I imagine you can do the same with push ups. If you do plenty your body will learn the movement and you won't use much energy doing an easy 5 or 10 every 20 minutes. Now say you do that for 10 hours on a single day that's 10x3(times per hour)x10=300 push ups. You see what I'm getting at. That doesn't make 1000 yet and I think many people on here could complete those 300 without any training.

As to 1000 I am not so sure. But if you train for a few months no problem.

krazykardio has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

1,000 push ups a day

Lol, goodluck as well as i proud on your decision. It's a best idea for health......
    Fitness Classes St. Petersburg | Cardio Kickboxing | Fitness Center

jackm7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jackm7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jackm7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jackm7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jackm7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jackm7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jackm7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jackm7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jackm7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jackm7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jackm7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    ^You guys do realise this thread is 8 months old....

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by jackm7 View Post
    ^You guys do realise this thread is 8 months old....
    That's 240,000 pushups so far.
    Time To Re-Schedule

vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    5 months later he made a thread on Rotator Cuff issues - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...post1093066703

phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by vampborn View Post
    5 months later he made a thread on Rotator Cuff issues - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...post1093066703
    Oh god, i just spit my drink out from laughing.

Never go full potato.
    ---Likes front squats more than back squats crew---
    ---Likes overhead press more than bench press crew---
    ---Can't argue with deadlifts crew---