Jkohlsie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Need ideas for running Strongman

Hey guys

I came into work today and my boss has me setting up a strongman competition for June and I don't know a whole lot about it.
    Any ideas on how to run it, how much to charge for registration, events, or equipment that I might need would be greatly appreciated. So far I'm working with keg walks, tire flipping, car pull and hopefully truck deadlifts.

I think we are going to do different categories of weight class and also team challenges as a fundraiser of firefighters, police, and paramedics in the area. Really any information or experiences that you've had participating in or running something like this would be an awesome help.

Thanks!!

arn710 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) arn710 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) arn710 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) arn710 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) arn710 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) arn710 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) arn710 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) arn710 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) arn710 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) arn710 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) arn710 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165829701

Registered User StrongmanPharmD's Avatar
    StrongmanPharmD will become famous soon enough. (+50) StrongmanPharmD will become famous soon enough. (+50) StrongmanPharmD will become famous soon enough. (+50) StrongmanPharmD will become famous soon enough. (+50) StrongmanPharmD will become famous soon enough. (+50) StrongmanPharmD will become famous soon enough. (+50) StrongmanPharmD will become famous soon enough. (+50) StrongmanPharmD will become famous soon enough. (+50) StrongmanPharmD will become famous soon enough. (+50) StrongmanPharmD will become famous soon enough. (+50) StrongmanPharmD will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    There is a guy here in WV that runs a couple of his own non-NAS shows each year. Entry fees are low($10-20), uses one weight cut off (<215/>215), and does a pretty standard 5 event show. My only gripe is the weight cutoff...I think <231/>231 is fine. I would add a overhead pressing event for sure. That would round out the contest well. You could even make the keg carry and tire flip into one event as a medley. The only thing missing that is "normal" is a loading event of some kind. If you don't have Atlas Stones you could have the athletes load the kegs to a platform.
    http://www.projectdeliverance.com/keiththompson.htm

http://www.youtube.com/user/StrongmanPharmD

lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz
    I've put on an annual NAS contest for the last 7 or 8 years.

First thing you have to do is determine which weight classes you're going to have. For just starting out, I highly suggest you keep the classes few and simple. Have a lightweight and heavyweight division (under 231 lbs/105 kg for lw) and just start with that. Womens, novice, and all of the special divisions/classes are tough to pull off unless you have a good reputation and a lot of contacts in the sport.

Secondly, you have to pick your events and weights. Your events are directly dependent on your venue. If you only have a 10m stretch, you're not going to be able to do truck pulls, a proper farmers walk, tire flip, yoke, etc. You should try to choose as many events that you can run two competitors at a time. Nothing is more boring to a crowd than seeing 20 different competitors do the exact same thing 20 different times. Having an event in a side x side format creates a race, which is much more appealing to the crowd. Interested crowd=good buzz for the event=more sponsors in the future.

You want to try and stay away from too many "plates on bar" type events as well. A bar loaded with weights is appreciated by people who lift, but the average Joe doesn't know the difference between 200 lbs and 800 lbs. Try and get events that are visually appealing.

You also want to make sure your weights are right. They should be light enough that everyone can get a rep/flip/etc, but you want the weights to be heavy enough that not everyone finishes the event. You definitely don't want an event so easy that the top 5 competitors are separated by less than 1.5 seconds. You need to test the events before the contest. This is absolutely essential.

As far as entry fees go, it depends on what you're offering. My contest charges $50/competitor. Entry fee gets you a shirt, trophy and prize money for the top 3, and a bbq with beer afterward. Total up your costs (shirts, awards, water for the competitors, etc) and then base the entry fee off that.

You will need the following to make your contest run:
    Stopwatches-always have at least 2 more than you're going to be using.
    Cones or some way to create a boundary/lanes
    Score sheet
    PA system
    Chairs/shelter if it is outside
    Warm up area
    water for the competitors

For personnel, you're going to need qualified judges, a score keeper, some spotters/loaders, and one or two people to do things like run times and scores from the judge to the score keeper and other tasks.

This is just for starters. Let me know if you have any questions.
    Bravery and stupidity are often synonymous. So are cowardice and intelligence.