of natural evolution HeteroticPhenom's Avatar
    HeteroticPhenom is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeteroticPhenom is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeteroticPhenom is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeteroticPhenom is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeteroticPhenom is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeteroticPhenom is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeteroticPhenom is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeteroticPhenom is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeteroticPhenom is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeteroticPhenom is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeteroticPhenom is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Explain how you do a RLS pose

I'm learning to pose, but I can't see my back in the mirror for the rear lat spread pose. From what it feels like, there's 2 ways of doing it. Not sure which looks best:

1) Go as wide as possible, basically trying to make your shoulders touch the 2 guys standing next to you, at the same time. Maximum stress/effort, for width.

2) Go wide, as before, but then begin to flex the lats, rhomboids, etc... just a bit. You won't lose much width, but you'll gain a whole bunch of thickness & detail because you're flexing the large muscles of the upper & mid-back.

Not sure which approach looks best. If I go with the latter, it doesn't seem like I'm really losing much width... and it definitely feels good to be flexing all those back muscles a bit.

tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i would always go with #1.. but..

takes pictures in good lighting of both poses.. then pick which looks best
    Instagram: thomas_poucher

yes i've tried doing incline first

reps on recharge.. demonwareltd, flang, TTimmerman, wala, Canuck77

Sporto1633 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sporto1633 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sporto1633 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sporto1633 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sporto1633 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sporto1633 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sporto1633 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sporto1633 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sporto1633 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sporto1633 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sporto1633 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by HeteroticPhenom View Post
    I'm learning to pose, but I can't see my back in the mirror for the rear lat spread pose. From what it feels like, there's 2 ways of doing it. Not sure which looks best:

1) Go as wide as possible, basically trying to make your shoulders touch the 2 guys standing next to you, at the same time. Maximum stress/effort, for width.

2) Go wide, as before, but then begin to flex the lats, rhomboids, etc... just a bit. You won't lose much width, but you'll gain a whole bunch of thickness & detail because you're flexing the large muscles of the upper & mid-back.

Not sure which approach looks best. If I go with the latter, it doesn't seem like I'm really losing much width... and it definitely feels good to be flexing all those back muscles a bit.
    This isn't a pose where you should be flexing anything in the back. The judges are looking for symmetry and "x" frame. If you don't already have enough thickness in your back and/or aren't already lean enough, flexing the lats won't give you any more "detail"

You will need get a moveable mirror and use a set up that allows you to see your back as you practice - that is going to be the only way you can be able to use muscle memory for that pose to hit it how it needs to look. You essentially try to spread your subscapular muscles (that run underneath your shoulder blades) as wide as you can. It's difficult at first because it is not a muscle that you normally focus on using solely, but that's what you need to do in this case. Everything else stays relaxed in the back, spread your shoulder blades apart, then arch your back. Using a mirror will help you gauge how far to spread your shoulder blades before you lose too much depth...lack of depth does not come from not "squeezing your muscles in your upper back" though.

This is a pose that takes a lot of practice. Many natural pros still don'tknow how to hit this one properly and lose placings because of it...

Best of luck!

Sporto
    Core Nutritionals Sponsored Athlete
    IFPA Professional Natural Bodybuilder
    NASM Certified Personal Trainer