ASTRONOMICAL will become famous soon enough. (+50) ASTRONOMICAL will become famous soon enough. (+50) ASTRONOMICAL will become famous soon enough. (+50) ASTRONOMICAL will become famous soon enough. (+50) ASTRONOMICAL will become famous soon enough. (+50) ASTRONOMICAL will become famous soon enough. (+50) ASTRONOMICAL will become famous soon enough. (+50) ASTRONOMICAL will become famous soon enough. (+50) ASTRONOMICAL will become famous soon enough. (+50) ASTRONOMICAL will become famous soon enough. (+50) ASTRONOMICAL will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Juicing and oxidation

In almost every juicing article I see it stated that you should drink your juice immediately because it will oxidize and lose nutritional value.

How much degradation of nutritional value are we talking? Is it linear with all nutrients or do some degrade faster than others?

Is this just a negligible loss of nutrients over say a 24 hour period in the fridge? Can anyone give me any kind of figure with scientific evidence to support it?

Thanks

Note: Answers like "don't worry about it" are ****ing useless. I'm not worried, I'm just curious.
    Last edited by ASTRONOMICAL; 01-17-2013 at 02:34 PM.
    if anything has surprised me so far in my work, it's the complete disassociation between IQ and "exercise intelligence"

-Martin Berkhan

ASTRONOMICAL will become famous soon enough. (+50) ASTRONOMICAL will become famous soon enough. (+50) ASTRONOMICAL will become famous soon enough. (+50) ASTRONOMICAL will become famous soon enough. (+50) ASTRONOMICAL will become famous soon enough. (+50) ASTRONOMICAL will become famous soon enough. (+50) ASTRONOMICAL will become famous soon enough. (+50) ASTRONOMICAL will become famous soon enough. (+50) ASTRONOMICAL will become famous soon enough. (+50) ASTRONOMICAL will become famous soon enough. (+50) ASTRONOMICAL will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    bump... I guess I may be right in my assumptions.
    if anything has surprised me so far in my work, it's the complete disassociation between IQ and "exercise intelligence"

-Martin Berkhan

bump...

-Martin Berkhan

vitornoob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) vitornoob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) vitornoob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) vitornoob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) vitornoob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) vitornoob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) vitornoob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) vitornoob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) vitornoob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) vitornoob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) vitornoob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    it is not allowed to talk about juicing in this forum, inb4ban
    *Hollywood's rabid cage crew*

Bulking log -> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145653801

Originally Posted by vitornoob View Post
    it is not allowed to talk about juicing in this forum, inb4ban
    yay a response.. is that sarcasm, ignorance, or a poor attempt at being humorous. All of the above are "****ing useless" as stated in OP.

-Martin Berkhan

ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000)
    Let's do a little experiment....get on a merry-go-round and spin around 10x real fast. When you get off of the merry-go-round, have you changed? Now put some fruit on merry-go-round and spin them around real fast....do they change after spinning?

Now substitute merry-go-round for blender.....
    *Unaesthetic Crew* Disregard V-Taper, Acquire PRs Thread

"I think most of us would pay good money to be able to fit a whole jar of the greatest thing known to man into our macros on a daily basis." - MikeK46

Originally Posted by ParsonBrown View Post
    Let's do a little experiment....get on a merry-go-round and spin around 10x real fast. When you get off of the merry-go-round, have you changed? Now put some fruit on merry-go-round and spin them around real fast....do they change after spinning?

Now substitute merry-go-round for blender.....
    there is so many things wrong with that, I won't even begin to critique it. You obviously know next to nothing on the topic and I wouldn't be surprised if you've never used a juicer in you life. Thanks for your completely unfounded statements. Rep!

-Martin Berkhan

ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ASTRONOMICAL View Post
    there is so many things wrong with that, I won't even begin to critique it. You obviously know next to nothing on the topic and I wouldn't be surprised if you've never used a juicer in you life. Thanks for your completely unfounded statements. Rep!

Unless spinning things around in a circle and cutting them up with a knife (basic principal of a juicer or blender) causes some mystical change to the foods chemical makeup...

...how could the difference be anything more than negligible?

You appear to have some knowledge on the subject that you are holding back from the community. Please enlighten us. SRS
    *Unaesthetic Crew* Disregard V-Taper, Acquire PRs Thread

"I think most of us would pay good money to be able to fit a whole jar of the greatest thing known to man into our macros on a daily basis." - MikeK46

MommysFitLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MommysFitLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My very limited understanding is that you also have to factor in the type of juicer that you're using, so it's not just one simple equation. It could also probably vary based on what you're jucing. I usually try to drink it right away, but there are times when I do juice a ton and drink it the next day. I do both fruit and veggies together and have just a LaLane (centrifugal) juicer.

Originally Posted by ParsonBrown View Post
    Unless spinning things around in a circle and cutting them up with a knife (basic principal of a juicer or blender) causes some mystical change to the foods chemical makeup...

...how could the difference be anything more than negligible?
    thats what I'm thinking, so, I wonder why almost everything I read about how to juice stresses oxidation and drinking it immediately. I agree with your opinion, I'm just looking for something more than logic to refute this suggested practice.

MFL brings up a good point. Centrifugal juicers will oxidize things more than a masticating juicer (or so they say), but, in the end, is it negligible.

Juicing takes some serious time and I'd rather do it in larger batches to last a couple days. However, I juice purely for nutrients, so, this issue matters to me. Its nearly all cruciferous leafy vegetables that I juice. Typical juice for me is cabbage, kale, spinach, swiss chard, colalrd greens, celery, beet, leeks, and lemon. Its not a meal, its a supplement.
    Last edited by ASTRONOMICAL; 01-19-2013 at 04:17 PM.

-Martin Berkhan

NABlakley is on a distinguished road. (+10) NABlakley is on a distinguished road. (+10) NABlakley is on a distinguished road. (+10) NABlakley is on a distinguished road. (+10) NABlakley is on a distinguished road. (+10) NABlakley is on a distinguished road. (+10) NABlakley is on a distinguished road. (+10) NABlakley is on a distinguished road. (+10) NABlakley is on a distinguished road. (+10) NABlakley is on a distinguished road. (+10) NABlakley is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Lol no OP, no nutritional value is lost when you blend said fruit...
    Pickup heavy things and move them around.

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by NABlakley View Post
    Lol no OP, no nutritional value is lost when you blend said fruit...
    He's not using a blender, he's using a centrifugal juicer which does remove nutrients, most notably fiber.

NABlakley is on a distinguished road. (+10) NABlakley is on a distinguished road. (+10) NABlakley is on a distinguished road. (+10) NABlakley is on a distinguished road. (+10) NABlakley is on a distinguished road. (+10) NABlakley is on a distinguished road. (+10) NABlakley is on a distinguished road. (+10) NABlakley is on a distinguished road. (+10) NABlakley is on a distinguished road. (+10) NABlakley is on a distinguished road. (+10) NABlakley is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by WonderPug View Post
    He's not using a blender, he's using a centrifugal juicer which does remove nutrients, most notably fiber.
    Then I stand corrected.
    Pickup heavy things and move them around.

Originally Posted by WonderPug View Post
    I use a masticating juicer, but, thats besides the point (still removes the fiber). I guess the lack of any proof showing up in this thread is basically evidence enough that this time frame of drinking juice is bull****.

Surely there is some degradation but I'm going to follow my gut and start juicing 2 days worth of juice.

Thanks for all the replies.

Note: I don't think juicing is magical. I just do it because I hate eating leafy greens and I wish to include them in my diet. As I said before, I consider it a supplement. Nuff said.

-Martin Berkhan

Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    stop wrecking perfectly good fruit and eat it for fuk sakes....You got no teeth?
    "Voracious Overeaters Crew" (JasonDB) lol

Starting weight 235 lbs(April 2012) - Oct 29/12 159.1 lbs (FAIL)

Starting weight again 230 -235 lbs May 2015 - Nov 2015.. 211.9

Bulking

Originally Posted by Tdiguy View Post
    stop wrecking perfectly good fruit and eat it for fuk sakes....You got no teeth?
    Originally Posted by ASTRONOMICAL View Post
    Its nearly all cruciferous leafy vegetables that I juice. Typical juice for me is cabbage, kale, spinach, swiss chard, colalrd greens, celery, beet, leeks, and lemon. Its not a meal, its a supplement.
    ^^it was buried and I agree with your statement. I dont juice any fruit except lemon for taste. Id rep u but it wont let me.

-Martin Berkhan

Registered User michaelajohnson's Avatar
    michaelajohnson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re: juicing

Okay, boys, let me help you out. First of all, Mr. ParsonBrown, juicing fruit and veggies actually does cause "some mystical change to the fruits chemical makeup"...oxidation is a chemical process it's when things are exposed to oxygen. Like when an apple turns brown.
    To answer the original question, drink your juice within 20 minutes. I don't know how many people shake up a protein shake and then wait like an hour to drink it...or 24 hours. It's like that. Make it when you are ready to chug it down.
    By making juice, the juicer is breaking open cell walls of nutrient-rich fruits and vegetables & activating the vitamins, enzymes, minerals, phytonutrients and chlorophyll. Just like an apple turns brown, these little guys also are affected by oxygen and lose their potency over time. It won't break down all the nutrients, but it will reduce them enough to defeat the point if juicing. At that point, you might as well have bought some Naked juice and spared yourself the cleanup. So make it & then immediately drink it, like a protein shake.
    Got it, Mr. ParsonBrown with your magical merry go round? Don't be so brawn...add a little brain to that muscle. xo

Registered User michaelajohnson's Avatar
    michaelajohnson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Also...make sure you drink it on an empty stomach. The point of juicing is that it removes the fiber so your body can quickly and more fully absorb the nutrients. If you have food in your stomach, that's not going to happen.