OlyTrick will become famous soon enough. (+50) OlyTrick will become famous soon enough. (+50) OlyTrick will become famous soon enough. (+50) OlyTrick will become famous soon enough. (+50) OlyTrick will become famous soon enough. (+50) OlyTrick will become famous soon enough. (+50) OlyTrick will become famous soon enough. (+50) OlyTrick will become famous soon enough. (+50) OlyTrick will become famous soon enough. (+50) OlyTrick will become famous soon enough. (+50) OlyTrick will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Weightlifting Shoe Reviews

These are a couple of reviews that I've written up. I posted this on crossfit.com a while back, but have since updated it. Since there is such a wide spread of brands and price ranges, I wanted to do a write up of the pros and cons of each shoe that I've owned and lifted in so hopefully this will help make your shoe selection a little easier.

Please feel free to add your thoughts on any of these shoes or any others!

NOTES:
    Shoe conditions are based on daily use during training sessions lasting up to 2.5 hours.
    I train the Olympic lifts and/or supplemental strength exercises (pulls, squats, presses, etc) 5x a week.
    I wear a size US10 sneaker and my feet are slightly on the narrow side.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shoe #1: VS Athletics Weightlifting Shoe - $79.99 + shipping

Specs (from website):
    Leather upper & sole plate w/hard rubber material on bottom of shoe
    TWO “hook and loop” straps over laces for added support
    Leather reinforced flat rubber sole

First impressions:
    This was my first pair of weightlifting shoes. They were an enormous upgrade from my Adidas Sambas that I had been previously lifting in. The heels felt solid and there was a good amount of flexion of the rubber soles. The leather was rigid and hugged my foot quite well. The weight of the shoe felt light and the double strap allowed me to really secure my feet.

12 months:
    The leather of the shoe has stretched at this point and without the double strap, there was a noticeable amount of foot movement. The forefoot of the soles have become very flexible, almost as much as my pair of New Balance running shoes. The heel remained solid and there were no other major wears on the shoe other than the rubber sole flexibility and the leather of the shoe body loosening up.

PROS:
    Affordable, great starter shoe, solid heel

CONS:
    Seem to wear fast, do not hold rigidity

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shoe #2: 2010 Pendlay Do-Win - $119.99 + shipping

Specs (from website):
    Heel height of ¾”
    Heel constructed of solid cork encased in rubber
    Single “Hook & Loop” strap

First impressions:
    A slight upgrade from the VS, these shoes offer the “classic” look of a weightlifting shoe. It’s basically another shoe with a solid heel and a pretty flexible front sole. They’re great for narrow feet and seem to form to your foot and break in pretty quickly. In my opinion, they look a little cheap with the plastic glittery strap, but hey, some people might like that.

For women: I have been told by multiple women that the toe box of the shoe is very wide and uncomfortable (I have not heard this from men).

3 months:
    Part of the sole has separated from the rest of the shoe. I had it glued and repaired.

8 months:
    The sole has separated again and the sole of the other shoe is starting to separate as well. This seems to be a common problem with this shoe. Literally everyone I know with these shoes has experienced this either out of the box or within a few weeks and has returned them for another pair or bought a different shoe entirely. The heel has remained solid and it still secured the foot well within the shoe.

PROS:
    Still an affordable option

CONS:
    Shoe construction could be improved, questionable longevity, toe box is uncomfortable for women

NOTE: This was for the 2010 model of shoe. They have put out 2 new versions since this particular one.

Shoe #3: Adidas AdiStars - $199.99 + shipping

Specs (from website):
    Developed for the Beijing Olympic Games
    Adidas “ClimaCool” mesh
    PU-coated Leather in midfoot and forefoot areas for a durable, form-fitting hold
    Instep strap with “Hook & Loop” fasteners for adjustable support and pressure distribution
    Wooden heel wedge for stability and durability
    Midfoot strap for improved performance and support
    “TORSION System” provides lightweight arch support while allowing the forefoot and rearfoot to move freely for surface adoption, and to stabilize the foot

First impressions:
    Adidas really hit it out of the park with this shoe. The quality of these shoes are incredible and it is immediately noticeable when you open the box. They fit my feet perfectly. Between the high quality leather and the mid foot strap, it secures your foot in VERY well. The shoes are very, very light yet strong and sturdy. The “TORSION” system gives great support and the shoes breathe very well. I’m not sure of the exact heel height, but it is higher than the VS or Pendlays.

11 months:
    They still feel the same as when I bought them. No noticeable difference in wear and tear.

PROS:
    Look great, exceptional quality, breathes well, very stable

CONS:
    Not so affordable, discontinued due to Adidas’ new 2012 AdiPower weightlifting shoe.

Shoe #4: Reebok OLY/CrossFit - $149.99 + free shipping

Specs (from website):
    13.4 oz
    U-Form technology
    Supposed to be versatile

First impressions:
    These are my wife’s shoes. Though I don’t have any direct experience with lifting in them, I figured I’d give my 2 cents along with some thoughts she's expressed to me as well.

For Reebok being new to the lifting shoe game, I was pretty impressed with the quality of these shoes. They are definitely a level up from the VS and Pendlays. The shoe construction seems to be pretty solid. The heel is some kind of plastic/polymer material and looks to be very strong. The shoe material and stitching are excellent and they fit her feet very well.

U-Form technology means you bake them in the oven for 10 mins then put your foot in them and they’re supposed to mold to your feet. It felt slightly ridiculous to be putting a pair of shoes in the oven. They are very light and breathe quite well. She only bought them a few weeks ago, so they are still relatively new.

UPDATE:
    After about a year with these shoes, she feels like they have become a little bit too flexible. She has ventured away from crossfit and has been training primarily the olympic lifts. There is no damage or visible wear&tear. The materials have held up well, but the leather has become a little too loose for her liking. She has since upgraded to the AdiPowers.

PROS:
    Pretty good quality design, stylish design, perfect for CrossFit/lifting WODs

CONS:
    Not sure how they would hold up to daily abuse.

Shoe #5: Nike Romaleos 2 - $199.99 + shipping

Specs (from website):
    25% lighter than original Romaleos
    Substantially more forefoot flexibility
    NIKE contoured TPU hell wedge
    Double power “Hook & Ladder” straps
    Includes “training” and “competition” inserts

First impressions:
    I bought these because I love the way they look and I’ve always wanted a pair. I know they go for $189 with free shipping from Rogue, but they only offer the shoe in black. I gladly paid $20 more for a different color combination.

My Initial thought was “Wow, these shoes are big.” These shoes felt very wide and chunky on my feet and are noticeably heavier than my AdiStars. Though, it has been said to me “Who cares how heavy your shoes are if you’re putting weight over your head?”

They come with 2 soles: “Training” which is just a flat piece of foam, and “Competition” which is a stiffer material that contours to the bottom of your foot. I put them on using the competition inserts and my feet were locked in. The double straps fasten in opposite directions to really let you wrench your foot in place. The main difference between these and my AdiStars (other than the weight) is the entire sole of the shoe is in contact with the ground. This seems to offer an unmatched level of foot stability when coupled with the inserts and these shoes feel indestructible.

After trying them on initially, my feet began to sweat after 5 minutes of walking around the kitchen. After a few minutes into my first training session, my feet began to feel warm and wet. These shoes don’t seem to breathe very well, though a friend of mine said it’s because of the competition insert. I may try the “training” insert and re-evaluate.

After my second training session, they felt less chunky. I think I just needed to visually adjust to the size difference of them on my feet since it feels like the base of the sole is wider than what I’m used to.

PROS:
    Bad *** looking shoe, high quality design/construction, STABILITY

CONS:
    Not so affordable, feel a bit chunky, a little heavy compared to others

Shoe #6: Adidas AdiPower - $199.99

Specs (from website):
    Lightweight polymer Torsion Heel system provides maximum support and locks your heel into place
    Neoprene on the underside of the tongue helps lock your foot into place
    Lightweight upper maximizes flex in the forefoot
    Heavy duty strap to lock your foot into place
    New design with increased ventilation in the forefoot and sole provides maximum breathability for your feet

First impressions:
    First off, I ordered the same size as my AdiStars (9.5US) and they were too small. They fit fine everywhere but my big toe. Walking around was literally painful and I knew they wouldn't stretch/wear in enough to be comfortable. I returned them for a size 10US and they fit perfectly. I ordered the same pair for my wife as a Christmas present, and she went 1.5 sizes down and they fit fine. I want to say she wears a women's 9US and ordered a men's 7.5US.

I wasn't crazy about the color at first and was going to try to wait it out to purchase a new pair of shoes and see what else came out, but my AdiStars finally ripped in the toe area, so they had to be replaced.

They are very rigid and stable. The "leather" material is very stiff out of the box, but once they break in after a few days, they feel amazing. When I say "break in" I don't mean they loosened up -- they've formed to my foot, but I don't feel like they've become any more elastic or stretched like genuine leather would. I have heard people say that the forefoot is a little too flexible for their liking, but to me it is no different than any other pair of shoes we've owned (not including the Reeboks, they are obviously more flexible).

These shoes are very light and breathe very well. Adidas seems to have captured the light weight of the AdiStars and the structural rigidity of the Romaleos. Even with the same "Torsion System", the shoe feels much more connected because of the one-piece sole. There is no give in the polymer heel and I don't get swamp feet after a hard training session. I can see these shoes lasting for a very, very long time.

Another change is the location of the velcro strap. Other single-strapped shoes have the strap placed over the mid-food toward the bottom of the metatarsal bones which I've found to cause cramping in my feet. This strap is placed slightly higher and has eliminated this problem. I can really secure it in place and not have any issue with foot discomfort.

It seems like Adidas has taken big steps to make sure they create the best shoe possible and I'd say they've pretty much nailed it. Now I can see why so many lifters are wearing these. I'd give them a 4.5/5 star only because of the single color option.

PROS:
    Light weight, strong, great support, higher foot strap, very high quality

CONS:
    Price, color (only comes in one)
    Last edited by OlyTrick; 01-08-2013 at 01:45 PM.

frodovegense28 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hello,

You shared some details are much better & some tips and I find low prices for $25 you should better a company to suggest here.