Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Grace's Rehab Asylum

Date: Monday, January 7,2013

Primary sports: Cycling & adventure racing.

Rehab Needs: Yesterday, I was hit by truck while cycling. I have several fractures in my lower back. I also have some nerve damage, and muscle strains. To be clear I don't know the full extent of everything yet. There's swelling and compression in the lower spine nerves and muscle weakness is pretty equal to each side. I have very limited range of motion. I obviously can't bend over much, I can't touch my toes, or walk with out extreme pain. I need assistance just to stand or sit. I can only walk a few feet and even that I need help. My steps are very spastic and painful. There's some coordination problems.

I start rehab today. I know it's soon since it just happened yesterday, but the sooner I get the muscle working the faster they will heal. Mostly in the beginning I'll be working around the injuries just to keep the muscles working that I can.

I have a strict diet planned. Nutrient dense to get as many nutrients to the muscles to aide healing while ensuring I don't gain any weight. Adding weight want be beneficial to healing but a calorie deficient could hinder healing so I want keep calories balanced and my nutritional intake high. Proteins, healthy fats and lots of fruits & veggies. I'll avoid empty calories and grains.

For the record I'm doing pretty good considering everything. I'm pretty positive about all of this. I'm not gonna waist time having feelings negative about it. Cause a bad attitude hinders recovery.

Supplements:
    Multivitamin w/ extra b's - Vitamin c 1,000 mg,s 3x's a day - flavonoids 500 mg's 3x's a day - Zinc 30 mg 1x's a day - amino acid complex plus glutamine at 300 mg a day - bromelain 500 mg 3x's a day - magnesium - whey

Rehab Plan:

Phase 1:
    Regaining mobility and the ability to effectively rehab muscles. Minimize pain.

Phase 2:
    Relearning neutral positioning and standing posture.
    Brace and tense the muscles with the ability to transfer movement.
    Walking in a normal posture.
    Cycling with bracing.

Phase 3:
    Hip alignment, glute, pelvic floor, erectors, hips and hamstrings activation.
    Reestablish some flexibility.
    Bracing for running, protecting the lower back.

Phase 4:
    Reestablish a connection between hip, lower back and upper back mobility.
    Protective running.

Phase 5:
    Rotational and anti-rotational movements.
    (Learning when to twist and when not to.)
    Cycling without bracing.

Phase 6:
    Compound movement non weight bearing.
    Building deeper flexibility.

Phase 7:
    Graduating strength training.
    Introducing plyos.
    Increasing speeds in running and cycling.
    Last edited by grace_ou; 01-09-2013 at 09:09 PM.

KissIcon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KissIcon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KissIcon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KissIcon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KissIcon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KissIcon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KissIcon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KissIcon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KissIcon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KissIcon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KissIcon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OUCH!
    Didn't realize you were hit.....by a truck
    Be careful with rehab, as I know you will. As we all know, you are going to push through this with all you have as well.
    If you need help, I gotcha back
    I'm back.......kinda.....sort of....

grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by KissIcon View Post
    OUCH!
    Didn't realize you were hit.....by a truck
    Be careful with rehab, as I know you will. As we all know, you are going to push through this with all you have as well.
    If you need help, I gotcha back
    Yeah I guess considering where I live I should be glad it wasn't one of those oversized jacked up trucks!

I'm being careful. I have pt set up twice a day and no pain meds. Which may sound a bit crazy, but for an injuries like this pain is good indicator of how much I can do. I want the recovery process started right away with as little athletic loss as possible.

KissIcon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KissIcon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KissIcon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KissIcon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KissIcon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KissIcon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KissIcon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KissIcon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KissIcon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KissIcon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KissIcon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by grace_ou View Post
    Yeah I guess considering where I live I should be glad it wasn't one of those oversized jacked up trucks!

I'm being careful. I have pt set up twice a day and no pain meds. Which may sound a bit crazy, but for an injuries like this pain is good indicator of how much I can do. I want the recovery process started right away with as little athletic loss as possible.
    yeah, the probably never would have known they hit you.

No pain meds isn't too crazy. I had Dilaudud and I only used it for like 2 days when I came home from the hospital. It had started to jack me up and give me a case of the itchies, so that was that.

yeah, the probably never would have known they hit you.

No pain meds isn't too crazy. I had Dilaudud and I only used it for like 2 days when I came home from the hospital. It had started to jack me up and give me a case of the itchies, so that was that.
    Yeah no doubt, being a bump in the road wouldn't be good! I think dude was texting or something like that.

Date: Tuesday, January 8,2013

Rehab Day 1 :

Phase 1 Goal: Regaining basic Mobility

Rehab Work:
    LOL, ok this is gonna be sad. I walked, assisted. I'd say about 30 feet. It's a start. I can also sit for short periods tonight.
    I promise you want have to read weeks of dribble I will move this along pretty quickly, at least as quickly as I can.

Today's Mood:
    Last edited by grace_ou; 01-09-2013 at 07:40 PM.

then maybe I won't tell you that i am going to attempt the gym tomorrow...............

wish i could help ya feel a little better

I'd be happier if I had a nurse that hawt! LOL I'm doing pretty good. I promise I plan on doing everything I can to get back to where I was as quickly as possible and you should do the same. So go ahead tell me about it! I hope it goes well for ya tomorrow.

PhiDelt234 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PhiDelt234 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PhiDelt234 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PhiDelt234 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PhiDelt234 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PhiDelt234 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PhiDelt234 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PhiDelt234 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PhiDelt234 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PhiDelt234 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PhiDelt234 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Good luck on the recovery!
    Visit these educational sites on nutritional and supplemental advice:
    AlanAragonblog.com
    BroScience.com

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My supplement choices..

Multivitamin w/ extra b's - Vitamin c 1,000 mg,s 3x's a day - flavonoids 500 mg's 3x's a day - Zinc 30 mg 1x's a day - amino acid complex plus glutamine at 300 mg a day - bromelain 500 mg 3x's a day - magnesium - whey

Multi's are basically insurance. The extra b complex and magnesium both help the body deal with stress. The high dose of vitamin c & the flavinoids help with bruising and added with the amino complex & zinc they work to help rebuild healthy tissue. Bromelain speeds healing. One of the best ways to get more of that is through pineapples.

I have the whey even though I'm not training to ensure I get enough protein. It's need for muscle recovery and to help the amino's breakdown and work effectively.

Originally Posted by PhiDelt234 View Post
    Good luck on the recovery!
    Thanks.

Date: Wednesday,January 9,2013
    Sleep: 10-11 hours broken

Supplements: Multivitamin w/ extra b's - Vitamin c 1,000 mg,s 3x's a day - flavonoids 500 mg's 3x's a day - Zinc 30 mg 1x's a day - amino acid complex plus glutamine at 300 mg a day - bromelain 500 mg 3x's a day - green tea – Calcium, magnesium, D – evening primrose oil – aloe vera

Rehab Day 2

Rehab workout:

Actually went to the rehab center today, it took more work to get there then I did! Seriously all we did was walk with light assistance. Like if I needed to I could grab hold of a bar, but for the most part I didn't need it. It was a bit rough. I left vomiting, nauseated and in quite a bit of pain. So after walking I took a break and rested a few hours then went back for some stretching. LOL, Extremely limited stretching.

I do think today helped overall. Getting up and moving around like initially I was sick and in pain, but this evening I feeling better. Like I feel overall the muscles are a bit more relaxed. They don't feel as tight and I'm not in as much pain.

Overall I feel very positive about today.

Recovery Methods:
    Still just icing mostly. Now go ahead think this is hooky if ya want but I also started a daily session guide hypnotherapy aimed at healing. Basically it's a very relaxing way to imagine the healing process.

Today's Mood:
    Last edited by grace_ou; 01-09-2013 at 07:41 PM.

Nonregistered Nonuser bustermac's Avatar
    bustermac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustermac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustermac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustermac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustermac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustermac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustermac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustermac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustermac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustermac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustermac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    A truck!? Wow.

Hope you fully recover. You're strong, so I have no doubts but DO AS YOU ARE TOLD by the docs! Don't get ahead of yourself and cause damage.

Originally Posted by bustermac View Post
    A truck!? Wow.

Hope you fully recover. You're strong, so I have no doubts but DO AS YOU ARE TOLD by the docs! Don't get ahead of yourself and cause damage.
    Yeap.. at least it was just a pick up truck could have been worse I guess! Like a big 4 wheel drive or semi would have been worse! LOL

I'm doing pretty good with it all. I have full plan set up to rehab and minimize lost training time. I'm planning on working the rehab the same as I would a training plan. So I'm good. The biggest problem is the broken bones and ya know those heal just a matter of time. There has been some muscle & nerve damage but as the swelling goes away that's improving quickly.

That's how you get ants. BobisMighty's Avatar
    BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Wow I didn't know you got hit by a truck! That sucks Grace, I'm sorry. But it seems you have the right kind of plan set to get you back on your feet as soon as possible. I'll be interested to see your progress, I know you'll be just fine.
    MISC STRENGTH CREW

Rugby training log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=125605233

World Rugby S&C Level 1 coach.

Originally Posted by BobisMighty View Post
    Wow I didn't know you got hit by a truck! That sucks Grace, I'm sorry. But it seems you have the right kind of plan set to get you back on your feet as soon as possible. I'll be interested to see your progress, I know you'll be just fine.
    Yeah it was a rather sudden event. lol I didn't really get any time to prepare...

I'm to worried. I have a good rehab plan and no reason think I want get back to where I as at rather quickly.

Date: Thursday, January 10,2013
    Sleep: 7 hours, restless

Supplements: Multivitamin w/ extra b's - Vitamin c 1,000 mg,s 3x's a day - flavonoids 500 mg's 3x's a day - Zinc 30 mg 1x's a day - amino acid complex plus glutamine at 300 mg a day - bromelain 500 mg 3x's a day - green tea – Calcium, magnesium, D – evening primrose oil – aloe vera

Rehab Day 3

Rehab workout:
    Walking on a soft track. Slow as hell but I walked about 45 minutes in the morning. Then later this evening I tried the recumbent bike in the rehab center. Absolutely no resistance and yeah slow as hell, but I managed 20 minutes.

I also did a some walking on my own at home tonight.

I hurt like hell tonight but overall I feel positive about today. I was told on day 5 I could start upper body work like maybe the hand bike as long as I keep the movements in the shoulder.

Recovery Methods:
    Still just icing, mainly after rehab today.
    Tonight I have guide hypnotherapy aimed at healing. Basically it's a very relaxing way to imagine the healing process.

Today's Mood:

awesome Grace.
    you just one bad-ass lady.

awesome Grace.
    you just one bad-ass lady.

Thanks. So how did it go? Did you make it to the gym?

Thanks. So how did it go? Did you make it to the gym?
    Oh yeah. Going again this afternoon which will be the third day in a row.
    Holding up pretty good so far, though sore as phuck..........

Oh yeah. Going again this afternoon which will be the third day in a row.
    Holding up pretty good so far, though sore as phuck..........
    That's great! Don't worry about the soreness, pains good for the soul.

That's great! Don't worry about the soreness, pains good for the soul.
    well that's good, 'cause my soul needs all the good it can get

well that's good, 'cause my soul needs all the good it can get
    Mine to! Cause I'm cranky as hell today! I snappin at people all day! LOL

Date: Friday, January 11,2013
    Sleep: 12 hours

Rehab Day 4

Rehab workout:
    Walking on a soft track. Slow as hell but I walked about 45 minutes in the morning. Yeah same as yesterday..

In the afternoon I used a stair stepper. IDK if it's designed for rehab or not I guess it was. The steps were a very short range of motion and my feet never leave the steps. It's not a great workout but it's a start. It's one more thing I can do.

Tomorrow workouts will take on more structure. I get to add some upper body work and I can start tracking so I make sure I progress at each workout. Because if I don't progress quickly I'll probably murder someone and I don't think they have great rehab programs in prison.

Recovery Methods:
    Tonight I have guide hypnotherapy aimed at healing. Basically it's a very relaxing way to imagine the healing process.

Today's Mood: Pain wise I'm doing much better. Mood wise I've been a raging bitch all day. Irritable and cranky.

Oh and of coarse I'm staying with the recovery diet plan. Tomorrow I'll track and post every thing I eat with math. I didn't track math today but this will still give you a good idea of what type of foods I'm eating while healing.

Breakfast. Coffee, 4 oz of carrot juice (yes I juiced it fresh) 5 egg whites w/ pepper salsa & little grapeseed oil.

Snack I had about 1 cup diced pineapple w/ greek yogurt.

Lunch 1 scoop of vanilla whey, 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk, 1/2 cup diced frozen pineapple

Snack 1/2 scoop greens whey - blended with juiced green fruits & veggies - 1/2 cucumber, 2 celery stalks, 1 lime, some fresh ginger, small green apple

Dinner 6 oz grilled salmon w/ sweet & spicy cauliflower soup. (Which has 1 tsp garlic, 1 tsp ginger, 1 tsp sweet white miso, 1 tsp veggies base, 1/4 head cauliflower, 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk, lemon, vinegar and some sweet basil & spinach. Cook till soft and pureed.) Recipe here.. http://gracesasylum.com/2013/01/02/w...l-potato-soup/
    Last edited by grace_ou; 01-11-2013 at 09:15 PM.

awwwww, i'd pet you Grace

One step at a time. No pun intended.

Sounds good you may be able to add some upper body to the rehab.

awwwww, i'd pet you Grace

One step at a time. No pun intended.

Sounds good you may be able to add some upper body to the rehab.

(lol buddy Jesus.)

Yeah.. I have like these soft bars with bands so I can do upper body work. I just have to make sure that I'm not twisting or bending at the waist.

(lol buddy Jesus.)

Yeah.. I have like these soft bars with bands so I can do upper body work. I just have to make sure that I'm not twisting or bending at the waist.
    tru dat. can't go backwards.

tru dat. can't go backwards.
    Def not. On the bright side I've had time to get caught up on the blog! http://gracesasylum.com/

Date: Saturday, January 12,2013
    Sleep: 6 hours

Rehab Day 5

Rehab workout:
    Morning: Walking on a soft track. Slow as hell but I walked about 45 minutes in the morning. Yeah same as yesterday.. except I tried some stretches after walking. Yeah it didn't go so well. The muscle are still really tight but they are starting to limber back up. Like the first 3 days I walked hunched over some and I could extend my legs while laying down I kept a pillow under my knees to keep them bent. But today (yesterday actually I'm posting a day late.) I could stand up right and I can lay flat on my back agin. So the muscle are loosening up, they just weren't quite ready for stretching I guess.

Afternoon: Tried some upper body work, not enough to bother listing. This didn't go that well either. I can't quite get my arms overhead yet, it's close. I have some light bands and they attach to a flat bar which is also very light. But it'll be a start when I can use it. LOL

Monday I should be able to try the hand bike. I haven't yet because I need to be able to sit up straight for that. So Monday hopefully.

Recovery Methods:

Today's Mood:

I'm in a better mood today, (yesterday, lol) I didn't threaten to kill anyone. Pains is much better! Swellings gone. So unless I move I'm not in any general pain anymore. I'm just very anxious to do something a bit more useful!

Date: Sunday & Monday, January 13 & 14,2013
    Sleep: to much and not enough

Rehab Day 6 & 7

Rehab workout:
    Sunday rehab center is closed so I just rested.

Monday. I'm not even sure I could convey how badly Monday went. I spent all morning puking, which cause just extreme amounts of pain in my back!! So nothing product came of Monday.

Recovery Methods:
    Alternating icing and moist heat.

Mood:
    You don't really want to know.. On the bright side today (Tuesday) I seamed to have had just a complete turn around, today has been great so far.I'm moving around really good today. Post about it coming at the end of today.

WTF up wit dat? We can't have no pukn'.
    I so feel for you Grace. I know that had to have hurt. I hope your feeling better.

The again, if my dumbass would have finished reading, I would have seen you were a bit better

Anyways, pay me no mind......carry on.