imrantahir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

My log - training to become a bodybuilder

Hey people,
    Firstly i will list my diet and stats below.
    I have always loved to train be it from weight training, rugby, thai boxing, boxing, as well as playing alot of sports...
    I have reached a stage in my life were i am unhappy with my achievemnets throughout life, be it in the gym or personal. So i guess it's time for a change and i know it is going to take some time so here goes to starting the new year by turning a new leaf.
    I am here on my knees (mouth closed) asking for help from those that have experience and where once where i am, at the start of a struggle to make change for the better.
    Right, enough of the sob story, i train in the mornings from 9.00am till 10.30am taking an hour on my weights session and a strict half hour on the treadmill aiming for approx 2.5-3 miles, sometimes followed by a 15 minute bike ride. I tend to train as follows -

Mondays always Legs consisting of Leg curls 4 sets getting heavier each set starting with 15 reps/10 reps/8 reps/8 reps. Then i will go on to do squats 4 sets again similar rep pattern. I will then go onto do Leg Press again same rep pattern, followed by standing calf raises, seated calf raises, lying leg curls. 30 mins cardio.

I will detail my workouts throughout my log, including workouts, reps etc..

I know i train well, not sure about the regime, just lost my trainig partner but other gym goers at that time of the morning know me so are all willing to spot and help when required.

Now, i stick to my diet but find it hard to lose weight, i therefore find my weight fluctuating quite alot, ie in Oct 2010 i weighed around 105kg, then losing the fat and some muscle came down to 85kg in March 2011. In 2012 I managed to get down to 87kg. Now weighing in at around 103-105kg. As hard as it is to eat chicken and tuna day in day out i don't actually mind it... but i guess, no, i know i need help because i cannot see the changes i want so i know i am doing alot of things wrong...

Now can you help me out i have listed my training and routine as well as my diet and stats. I want to be able to compete before i die, i am now 35 and want to try and compete for a show some time, i know i am along way from it but i need some guidance and a helping hand from anyone willing to give it. I know genetics dictate alot and i know that i can do it so please help me out, i have the motivation to get out of bed and hit the gym and to diet but need more motivation from You...

MY STATS AND DIET

Marital Status - Married with 2 kids
    Age - 35
    Weight – 103kg-105kg
    Height - 6'0 (182.88cm)
    BF% - 30% (need Callipers to be exact)

Train from 9am - 10.30am (Mon-Sun) (1 hour weights followed by 1/2hr to 45 mins cardio)

Katch McArdle - BMR 1743 TDEE 2701 (Not sure about the figures)
    Lightly active category, LBM (222 x.80 = 177.6lbs) not total weight.

AGE 35
    WEIGHT 103-105KG
    HEIGHT 6'0 (182.88 CM)
    BF% CURRENT BF% = 30% TARGET BF% = 10%
    MAINTAINANCE 2283 CALS CUT 2000 CALS
    300G PROTEIN = 1200 CALS / 100G CARBS = 400 CALS / 44G FAT = 396 CALS
    CARBS BEFORE AND AFTER WORKOUT ONLY
    45 MINS CARDIO DAILY

DRINK WATER 4 LTR DAILY

MEAL 1. 08:00AM PRO/CARB/FAT/CAL

8 EGG WHITES + 2 WHOLE EGGS 44G/9G/5G/181
    1/2CUP (60G) OATS 5G/27G/2.5G/228
    COFFEE /GLUTAMINE TOTAL : 49G/36G/7.5G/409KCAL

MEAL 2. 11:00AM PRO/CARB/FAT/CAL

2 CAN TUNA (240G DRAINED) 60G/0G/2G/258
    1 CUP BROCCOLI 2G/5G/0G/28
    TOTAL : 62G/5G/2G/286KCAL

MEAL 3. 14:00PM PRO/CARB/FAT/CAL

1 CAN TUNA (120G DRAINED) 30G/0G/1G/129
    TOTAL : 32G/5G/1G/157KCAL

MEAL 4. 17:00PM PRO/CARB/FAT/CAL

8 OZ. CHICKEN BREAST 44G/0G/6G/230
    100G BROWN RICE (COOKED) 2G/22G/1G/105
    TOTAL : 48G/27G/7G/363KCAL

MEAL 5. 20:00PM PRO/CARB/FAT/CAL
    OPTIMUM WHEY 24G/2G/1G/110
    CREATINE / BCAA / MULTI VITS TOTAL : 24G/2G/1G/110KCAL

MEAL 6. 21:00PM PRO/CARB/FAT/CAL

8 OZ. CHICKEN BREAST 44G/0G/6G/230
    100G BROWN RICE (COOKED) 2G/22G/1G/105
    TOTAL : 48G/27G/7G/363KCAL

MEAL 7. 00:00AM PRO/CARB/FAT/CAL

CASEIN SHAKE 23G/4G/1G/117
    1 SPOON PEANUT BUTTER 5G/3G/8G/100 TOTAL : 28G/7G/9G/217KCAL

DAY TOTAL = PROTEIN: 291G / CARB: 109G / FAT: 34.5G / CAL: 1905 KCAL

What I need is help with my routine/diet/supplements, I believe I am enthusiastic about training but the lack of seeing results demotivated me and then I regressed into a couch potato.

Thanks for listening/reading guys....
    Last edited by imrantahir; 01-27-2013 at 03:35 PM.

I have posted my diet in the nutrition forum and people have suggested that my diet is inadequate. I am going back to researching and reading and will adjust the diet... All advice appreciated.... HELP PLS

Come on people bump this....
    Help with diet workouts pleaseeeeeeee, pretty pleassssseeeereee....
    I want to get my diet sorted this week and my training regime sorted so that I can hammer it out in the gym and out of the gym....

KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    First of all, I wouldn't listen too much to what they have to say in the nutrition section. A lot of the advice they give is just fine if you are 18 years old and your goal is to have abs for spring break. However if your goal is competing, a lot of that advice would be less than optimal. If your goals include competing, I would suggest you read some of the articles and threads on nutrition by competitive natural bodybuilders. These guys don't just talk the talk, but walk the walk. They have to get down to very low body fat levels to perform well at shows. After I began following their advice and stopped paying attention to what the 18 years olds in the nutrition section were saying, I finally started making real progress in my cutting.

btw, post some pictures, and get an avatar.

KCTonyG - Thankyou for your input, i appreciate your advice and i was getting a bit dis-heartened as people in the Nutrition Forum or the gang in that Forum were not necessarily wrong but did give me a beating about my diet as listed above, i took the time to plan it and some one turns around and says that i copied from a muscle mag? My goals are long term, i have trained then messed up about 6 months ago by stopping training and totally losing all shape and wasted all the hard work and strength that i had gained.

I am going back to the start with this log -
    Right basics on Sunday 27th Jan 2013,
    I weigh 102KG / 225LBs, i have not trained since September 09th 2012 due to various reasons, not of them are good enough reasons to have stopped training. I am hungry to get back in the gym and start seeing results. I am giving my self a year to get back into shape and then from there i shall start contest prep. Does this time scale seem realistic?

Anyone help with the diet that i have posted or give me some links to read please. I also need some one to look at my work out which i will post below and tll me if its ok. I am going wrong some where and i need your help please...
    I will get some pics up of the 30% bf that i am currently at. My avatar is me last August when i was around 87-90KG and training well.

I know cardio is a must for the fat loss and will be doing 30-45 mins after training in the morning. I normally start work at 12 till late so i dont get another chance for cardio. Typical day is up at around 8am, Breakfast, hit the gym at 9am, weight train for an hour, cardio for 45 mins, get home have a shake, get showered, eat my first meal then start work, by the time i finish its late have a shake and knock out. Weekends i try and do only cardio for an hour and spend time with the family and time doing research on training and progression.

I would appreciate your help guys....

45 Mins Cardio Daily
    My Training Plan

Monday: Legs
    Calves (Seated/PressMachine/Standing)
    Squat
    Leg Press
    Leg Extensions
    Lying Hamstring Curls
    Stiff Leg Dead Lift

Tuesday: Chest
    Bench Press
    Incline Bench
    Decline Bench
    Incline Flyes
    X-Overs

Wednesday: Back
    Front Pull-Down
    Deadlift
    Bent Over Barbell Row
    Tbar row
    Seated Row
    One Arm Dumbbell Row
    Chin ups

Thursday: Shoulders
    Military Press
    Barbell Shrugs
    Side Raise
    Front Raise
    Rear (PecDec)
    Smith Machine Upright or Bent Over Side Raise
    Dumbbell Shrugs

Friday: Bicep/Tricep
    Close Grip Bench Press
    Skull Crusher
    Pull Downs
    Barbell Curls
    Preacher Curls
    Dumbbell Curls
    Concentration Curls

Saturday & Sunday: Cardio 1 Hours & Abs
    Rope Crunches
    Raised Sit Up
    Leg Raises

Demon Fitness - Owner demonwareltd's Avatar
    demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by KCTonyG View Post
    First of all, I wouldn't listen too much to what they have to say in the nutrition section. A lot of the advice they give is just fine if you are 18 years old and your goal is to have abs for spring break. However if your goal is competing, a lot of that advice would be less than optimal. If your goals include competing, I would suggest you read some of the articles and threads on nutrition by competitive natural bodybuilders. These guys don't just talk the talk, but walk the walk. They have to get down to very low body fat levels to perform well at shows. After I began following their advice and stopped paying attention to what the 18 years olds in the nutrition section were saying, I finally started making real progress in my cutting.

btw, post some pictures, and get an avatar.
    Agree with this. Hang around this forum and follow some of the guys in the contest prep journal section (where this thread should be by the way) and you will pick up lots of helpful information.

Also, my 2 cents are that if you are maintenance is truly only 2200 calories at your height/weight, that is really, really low. Have you been dieting for some time and is that why it's so low? How did you come up with that amount of calories?

KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I hesitate on giving you nutrition or training advice as my training goals (and skill level) are likely very different than your own. Things that work for me might not work at all for you. However I can give you some general advice that helped me a great deal. One of the things I did when cutting was I started off with as many calories as possible while still allowing me to lose 1-2 pounds a week. At first this number was 3100 calories (it slowly became less as the weeks went on during my cut). Also at first I was doing absolutely no cardio. I added cardio slowly over time as well.

With you just starting out cutting at 2200 calories and doing 45 minutes to an hour of cardio a day, you are making things difficult for yourself. If you hit a plateau, you will have to either increase the cardio to more than an hour a day, or decrease the calories, to possibly below 2000 a day. I don't know about you, but my life would be miserable doing that long term. On top of that, it will be difficult for you to maintain your muscle mass while cutting doing that much cardio and on that much of a caloric deficit.

Don't let the numbers on your scale dictate how you train. I know seeing the weight decrease rapidly is fulfilling, but believe me, it is much more fulfilling seeing details of your muscles peaking through past the fat for the first time.

wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by demonwareltd View Post
    Agree with this. Hang around this forum and follow some of the guys in the contest prep journal section (where this thread should be by the way) and you will pick up lots of helpful information.

Also, my 2 cents are that if you are maintenance is truly only 2200 calories at your height/weight, that is really, really low. Have you been dieting for some time and is that why it's so low? How did you come up with that amount of calories?
    this... even my slow ass metabolism has a higher maintenance than that (2700 sedentary, no workout). in for answers...
    "The weak-minded would shrink away from what must be done for fear of being ridiculed by the wicked" - Terry Goodkind

"Be the change you wish to see in the world"...-Ghandi

Prep Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158667243

NGA\IFPA Pro Bodybuilder fltallpaul's Avatar
    fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    In my opinion your cardio is too high, calories too low. Bodybuilding is not about being hard core with the diet and cardio. You need to place your priority on building muscle. I would also change your macro ratio's. I think your protein is too high and your fats are too low. With all that cardio and your current diet your hormonal system will shut down pretty quickly, not to mention you won't be building any muscle.

It's great that you are being so strict and tracking everything. Keep tinkering until you find your sweet spot.
    Contest Prep Coach

Paul@ProPhysique.com

Core Nutritionals/Outwork Apparel Athlete

NGA & IFPA Pro Bodybuilder

demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by wrkoutfrq View Post
    this... even my slow ass metabolism has a higher maintenance than that (2700 sedentary, no workout). in for answers...
    There are two paths I can see here:

1. OP goes forth with trying to get into contest shape and will likely have to kill himself with the amount of cardio and the extremely low calories in order to get to contest conditioning (not sure this would even be possible given how low cals and high cardio is to start). I may eat my words though.

2. OP spends the next several months slowly increasing calories in an effort to increase his maintenance level and restore his metabolism to a healthy level while slowly pulling back on the amount of cardio. Doing this slow is the key so as to limit additional weight gain. Then once calories are at a satisfactorily high level and cardio has been reduced to 2 to 3 20-30 minute sessions/week, then go about the whole contest prep again.

Myself as well as other coaches on these forums have worked with clients in just your position. I would recommend reading up on such things as metabolic damage to get a better understanding and see if you truly fit that description. Then go about getting back on track or look to getting a coach to help you get there.

- Stan

Thank you all ( demonwareltd / fltallpaul / wrkoutfrq / KCTonyG / Anyone i missed? ) for yorur input and i take your words seious enough. I think this is what F**cked me up last year, as you can see from my Av i got down to 87-90KG and was lifting strong, but then i think i overloaded my CNS, and Metabolic Damage contributed too. I was always feeling tired, yawning in the gym, work outs became slow... I am not back in the gym yet, i wanna get my diet spot on and training regime right and then hit the gym hard. To be honest the Cardio has never been hard to do after work outs. The only time i struggle is after training Legs, i would then have to walk on incline opposed to running.
    Stan - I am not in any rush, i want to get my body into good shape by 2014 then spend 2014 getting ready for a contest in 2015. So lets say it s an 18 month plan... Note i have not started back in the gym yet...
    Man i feel like crap at the moment, i was doing so well and then i messed up, i can only blame my self, for me it was an achievement Squattiing 120-140kg for 8 reps, leg pressing 360kg, my legs........ grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr has become more like a prrrrrrrrrrrrr..... lol........ any way time toget back into gear and get stronger than ever before.... I am hungry for this guys just need some help off the Pros...

DemonWareLTD - how do i get this log moved to the correct forum? The contest prep forum? as you suggest... My maintainance calculation could be wrong, i am no good with working out things like TDEE/MAcros/Etc, need to get my head around it all... Yes i do read how many grams of protein are in my shakes and i did look up the figures for Protein/Fat/Carb content in Eggs/Tuna/Chicken Breast etc, all the things in my diet basically... Can you help get these figures right mate....
    I am going back to the start... starting a new diet planned correctly, a new training regime also planned correctly, taking the right supplements with some advice. So Please help and give me links, i will read them and get them right. I am planning on starting back in the gym on Monday, i also want to start on the diet on Monday so i would appreciate it if you guys could help me get this diet above right... I missing drinking my 10 eggs...

KCTonyG - Last year i was 105 KG in Jan i dieted solid and was losing approx a KG a week. I know it will take time to loose the fat... I have already had a lot of muscle wasteage and i am therefore imaging that i am back at stage one... I am going to get pics up this weekend of current bf% and i will then upload new pics as training progresses... I understand your at a different level from me, but help me get this diet right mate, at least the figures...

fltallpaul - I will knock the cardio down and start on building muscle... How about if i just do Cardio on Sat/Sun... So ok from everyone i gather my cals are way to low - help!!!

right guys i am at work so better get back to work.... look at my diet and workout please.... i will make adjustments, i wanna start by monday so that means have my diet ready by friday and get the shopping done on the weekend and strat preping the food....

Scroll to the bottom of the web page for a list of moderators on this sub-forum. Then send them a PM with this thread title and they can move it for u.

Best of luck. Everyone learns the hard way from time to time - it's how we improve. Just keep at it and keep on learning.

Cant see the bit that says List of Moderators.... Any Mods your more than welcome to move it to the right Forum. If i scroll to the bottom of the page i can see : 1. Similar threads 2. Bookmarks/Posting Permissions 3. Contact us.... Presuming it is the contact us section???

Ccm644 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ccm644 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ccm644 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ccm644 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ccm644 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ccm644 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ccm644 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ccm644 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ccm644 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ccm644 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ccm644 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by imrantahir View Post
    Cant see the bit that says List of Moderators.... Any Mods your more than welcome to move it to the right Forum. If i scroll to the bottom of the page i can see : 1. Similar threads 2. Bookmarks/Posting Permissions 3. Contact us.... Presuming it is the contact us section???
    See picture then pm one

so go out of your thread and at the bottom of contest prep
    Attached Images
    ___Growing Mentally and Physically ___
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154388901&p=1079896151&posted=1#post1079896151

My Blog - www.innerbuilder.weebly.com

Fat is temporary, strength and muscle is not

Done - pm'd your self and another mod before i read your post - thank you

3/Katch-McArdle:Considered the most accurate formula for those who are relatively lean. Use ONLY if you have a good estimate of your bodyfat %.
    BMR = 370 + (21.6 x LBM)Where LBM = [total weight (kg) x (100 - bodyfat %)]/100

BMR = 370 + (21.6 x 73.5) LBM = 105 x (100-30%) / 100
    Total = 1957.6

Tdee = 1957.6 x 1.5 = 2936.4

105 kg = 231.4 lbs

2.4 protein x 105 = 252g protein required

High bodyfat: 1-2g fat/ Kg LEAN weight [between 0.4 - 1g LEAN weight/ pounds]
    So how much good fats would i require???????????????????????????

Moderately active: 4.5 - 6.5 g/ kg (about 2 - 3g/ pound)
    Samequestion again

I know some say 40g protein / 40 grams carbs / 20 grams fat per meal - is this right????

So am i right here.... need to work out total cals for day / protein / carbs / fats then divide it up into meals - any help is seriously appeciated .....
    Last edited by imrantahir; 01-29-2013 at 12:27 PM.

Hello again people, well i thought i might have had some response to my plead for help with the diet... I am going to have to start with the above proposed diet for now untill i can get my figures right and my meals spot on. I am also going to stick to the above workout routiune for now... Muscles are going to ache for a while when i start but i am looking forward to this pain... Probably be a shock to the system which is what it neeeds to wake up from this hibernation.
    Feel free to chime in when i start to progress with training and the diet....

Ccm644 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ccm644 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ccm644 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ccm644 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ccm644 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ccm644 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ccm644 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ccm644 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ccm644 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ccm644 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ccm644 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Done - pm'd your self and another mod before i read your post - thank you
    Thanks for the email but i am not a mod... be good if i was

I did email a mod for you

3/Katch-McArdle:Considered the most accurate formula for those who are relatively lean. Use ONLY if you have a good estimate of your bodyfat %.
    BMR = 370 + (21.6 x LBM)Where LBM = [total weight (kg) x (100 - bodyfat %)]/100

BMR = 370 + (21.6 x 73.5) LBM = 105 x (100-30%) / 100
    Total = 1957.6

Tdee = 1957.6 x 1.5 = 2936.4

105 kg = 231.4 lbs

2.4 protein x 105 = 252g protein required

High bodyfat: 1-2g fat/ Kg LEAN weight [between 0.4 - 1g LEAN weight/ pounds]
    So how much good fats would i require???????????????????????????

Moderately active: 4.5 - 6.5 g/ kg (about 2 - 3g/ pound)
    Samequestion again

I know some say 40g protein / 40 grams carbs / 20 grams fat per meal - is this right????

So am i right here.... need to work out total cals for day / protein / carbs / fats then divide it up into meals - any help is seriously appeciated .....
    All the info to complete your own macros is in stickys
    I think normally protein and fat is worked out then carbs added to make up calories/macros
    Some people work well with high carbs, some do not

Where in GB do you live
    ___Growing Mentally and Physically ___
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154388901&p=1079896151&posted=1#post1079896151

My Blog - www.innerbuilder.weebly.com

Fat is temporary, strength and muscle is not

Well thanks for letting the mod know mate.... I live towards manchester.... small village in the hills.... i will spend more time on diet this weekend...