Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by dumb.bell View Post
    If space is a concern, I would think the Orlando BB would be the best choice. When not using it, you simply lean it against the wall.
    I agree, esp., as guy in review says, it can be broken in two pieces. Rack attachment still gonna take a lot of space when detached not much savings versus full size thing but more hassle for sure, bet that thing weighs a ton, so attaching and detaching it is not a picnic, unless you just attach it once an leave it there.

trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by STR8OUT View Post
    Same with me, I dont understand the hype with these things. I've had access to them but never wanted one. I've tried them and I have a hell of a hard time even performing 1 controlled rep so its not a very enjoyable workout. The crossfit crew blew these things up, probably because they are extremely difficult to do... which makes sense since the Crossfit workouts are known to be difficult in general. I will stick with my leg curl and back extension machines for now.
    The crossfit crew does make it more popular, but I think most of them use it for GHD sit up (just sit up with extended ROM and extra momentum). When they used the GHDs at the crossfit games, that's all they used them for. Glute ham raises aren't really their thing. I think the movement is promoted by strength coaches and powerlifters more than crossfitters. The natural glute ham raises are difficult, but the ones done with an actual GHD aren't that bad. Actually, my lower back feels worse after leg curls than glute ham raises. And the leg curls weren't even that heavy. I must have done them wrong

817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Skidmarx View Post
    I don't follow too closely but do pro BBs even use these machines?
    Alot of PowerLifters say a GHR is a must for any gym (home or commercial)
    It surprises me how many people refuse to buy equipment from Elitefts because its too expensive but they will buy equipment from their competitors, then continue to go on EFS website to educate themselves for FREE

bulking on lechon and PB shoot2turtle's Avatar
    shoot2turtle is just really nice. (+1000) shoot2turtle is just really nice. (+1000) shoot2turtle is just really nice. (+1000) shoot2turtle is just really nice. (+1000) shoot2turtle is just really nice. (+1000) shoot2turtle is just really nice. (+1000) shoot2turtle is just really nice. (+1000) shoot2turtle is just really nice. (+1000) shoot2turtle is just really nice. (+1000) shoot2turtle is just really nice. (+1000) shoot2turtle is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by f0rbidden View Post
    A proper GHD with a semi-circle pad is going to be better overall. Most people (myself included) cannot even come close to performing a single rep of a natural GHR/Russian Leg Curl/whatever. With a regular GHD you still obliterate the hamstrings but you can actually do a few reps, and it's useful for other exercises like back extensions and situps.

Lots of better things to spend that sort of money on though in my opinion... I don't think I would buy a GHD even if I won the lottery.
    Same with me, I dont understand the hype with these things. I've had access to them but never wanted one. I've tried them and I have a hell of a hard time even performing 1 controlled rep so its not a very enjoyable workout. The crossfit crew blew these things up, probably because they are extremely difficult to do... which makes sense since the Crossfit workouts are known to be difficult in general. I will stick with my leg curl and back extension machines for now.
    Weirdly enough, more than the ham and glute workout, I've found GHRs and Reverse Hyper machines to have a surprisingly corrective and curative effect on long lingering lower back issues/pain. Though I don't know if that has to do with the exercise or the specifics of my injury.
    "When your takedown defense consists of calling the other guy gay, you're in deep ****." -hargainer82

→ FLIP GAMEOVER CREW ←
    Treasure Hunter Crew [THC]

f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by 817boy View Post
    Alot of PowerLifters say a GHR is a must for any gym (home or commercial)
    Yeah but I think what eventually sold me on not needing one was when I saw Jim Wendler's gym. He came from being deeeep in the Westside and EliteFTS world and still doesn't have a glute ham. When I asked him what he does for hamstring/lowback stuff now he said RDLs and good mornings.

+1 to the Crossfit GHD situp shennanigans. I can't believe how much they hype up Glute Ham benches when they don't ever use it for actual GHRs.
    BW: 247
    Squat: 550
    Deadlift: 601
    Bench: 381 w/pause
    Press: 275
    Front Squat: 405

f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by shoot2turtle View Post
    Weirdly enough, more than the ham and glute workout, I've found GHRs and Reverse Hyper machines to have a surprisingly corrective and curative effect on long lingering lower back issues/pain. Though I don't know if that has to do with the exercise or the specifics of my injury.
    A GHR works the low back big time as well, especially if you go all the way down and do a back raise at the bottom. Reverse Hyper's are designed specifically for training the low back without stressing the spine, so it should be no surprise that you got some benefit from that.

I still think GHRs are super overrated pieces of equipment though. I'd rather buy a Roman Chair for $50 on Craigslist just for back extensions, I don't need more than that personally. I've never found that training the hamstring from the distal (knee) end has benefited my deadlift, so I've always trained them from the proximal end with RDLs. Much more carryover for me as a powerlifter.

817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Yeah but I think what eventually sold me on not needing one was when I saw Jim Wendler's gym. He came from being deeeep in the Westside and EliteFTS world and still doesn't have a glute ham. When I asked him what he does for hamstring/lowback stuff now he said RDLs and good mornings.
    To each his own, im gonna get one in the summer time. Another benefit to using the GHR is (so i have read and been told by some PLers) is you can do ghrs every day for reps (if your strong enough) and never feel sore/beatup from them. If you try that w/ RDLs or Gmornings you will be sore.

No way im strong enough to do reps (gonna start w/ OBB home ghr) and work some negatives till i am stronger to do some for reps. plus i dont have enough room for a full size GHR right now.

your post above this says you get more carryover from RDLs, what set/rep range do you use? Thanks
    It surprises me how many people refuse to buy equipment from Elitefts because its too expensive but they will buy equipment from their competitors, then continue to go on EFS website to educate themselves for FREE

Another benefit to using the GHR is (so i have read and been told by some PLers) is you can do ghrs every day for reps (if your strong enough) and never feel sore/beatup from them. If you try that w/ RDLs or Gmornings you will be sore.
    This is probably true once you get acclimated to them. I've never done them as part of a consistent schedule, just for a couple workouts here and there when I've had access to them but GHRs always made me incredibly sore. RDLs not so much, but that's probably because I do them all the time.

your post above this says you get more carryover from RDLs, what set/rep range do you use? Thanks
    I'm usually doing them for sets of 8 to 10, usually just 2 or 3 sets as back offs after a deadlift workout.

Sorry to the OP for getting so off-topic!

Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000)
    I still think GHRs are super overrated pieces of equipment though.
    Soviets invented it, can't be good.
    Generations of weight and powerlifters were raised w/o that piece of equipment, it's just another tool, that's it. I personally found it quite useful and to back up other poster's comment believe it helped me speed up by lower back recovery and strengthening, also adds nice variety to assistance work, for the usefulness I would rate it about as lat tower, sure one can live w/o it but sometimes it's nice to have.

BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by shoot2turtle View Post
    I've dealt with musclular, ligamentous, and facet lumbosacral pain on and off for years (normal discs, no radiculopathy, only minor degeneration) so I'm hoping to be able to work the hams and glutes with less use of SLDLs.

Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm not sure I can explain the hype in general other than that for me at least, the exercise FEELS just about perfect. And I can make my hamstrings nice and sore on it. Hard to know how well that translates into muscle gains, of course. And it's not the kind of thing I can recommend unless you have budget and space. But then, that's where this thread comes in - a compact GHD saves space and budget.

And while natural GHRs are hard (I can only do them with significant band assistance), I don't consider GHD GHRs to be all that hard. If you're in shape (as you clearly are) and are struggling, it might be a form or machine adjustment issue, or maybe it's just that it's a new machine that your body isn't used to yet. I don't consider myself to be very strong, plus I'm fat and lifting up all that extra weight, and I don't have a problem cranking out a set of 15 or 20 if I keep my arms at my sides. Hands behind my head I've yet to complete 10. Failed on the tenth a couple days ago. And where you place the foot plate makes a huge difference. With the foot plate a single slot back from where I keep it now, I can crank out a bunch of them with a 45 pound plate held to my chest, which only means that that's too far back for me now. And I think it was one slot forward from where I am now where I hurt myself when I first bought the thing, so now I'm scared to bring it forward any further.
    Last edited by Maluket; 12-29-2012 at 11:39 AM.

jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000)

+1 to the Crossfit GHD situp shennanigans. I can't believe how much they hype up Glute Ham benches when they don't ever use it for actual GHRs.

that's interesting. the thing is though he also doesn't have a power rack or a way to spot his bench....

StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've never used one but will report back on the Sorinex GHD (model FNGHD) when it arrives. Purchased one this weekend.

Registered you, sir. trimble006's Avatar
    trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by jackbravo View Post
    that's interesting. the thing is though he also doesn't have a power rack or a way to spot his bench....
    I always was wondering about that... So many plates and band pegs too, but no spotters?! Maybe he took them off for a cleaner picture, but it doesn't look like there's even holes for the spotters to attach to.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #54 ▪█─────█▪

-✘- Edmonton Oilers -✘-
    -✘- Toronto Blue Jays -✘-

RL Erik 'Iwhspr Fe comes' matrix563's Avatar
    matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    i believe this is the most compact one

bottom

Video:
    ▪█───────█▪ Equipment Crew #46 ▪█───────█▪
    ▪█───────█▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #21 ▪█───────█▪
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #33 ||---||

~ 5th dimensional being ~

Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by jackbravo View Post
    I'm sure he has a lifting crew.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No 7
    ()---() York Barbell Club #7 ()---()
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #13 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #9 -!!!---!!!-

Originally Posted by Skidmarx View Post
    I'm sure he has a lifting crew.
    Yeah he usually trains with other guys I guess. And the smartest way to lift is to never miss a lift anyways, Jim is a big fan of leaving a little in the tank. I doubt he would be attempting reps that he might miss anyways.

BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000)
    I received the OBB Glute Ham today. I have to wait until leg day to really put it to the test but from the one quick test run today I'm pretty excited. My hamstrings spasmed on the first rep and I had to limp back to my office.

Originally Posted by BAVE View Post
    I received the OBB Glute Ham today. I have to wait until leg day to really put it to the test but from the one quick test run today I'm pretty excited. My hamstrings spasmed on the first rep and I had to limp back to my office.
    Didnt even know you ordered it. You got it pretty fast, who did you buy it from?

Didnt even know you ordered it. You got it pretty fast, who did you buy it from?
    I called OBB and ordered direct. I was surprised when it showed up. No assembly required and truly compact. I normally go pretty heavy on stiff deads and prone leg curls but This is far more unforgiving. I've read that this floor unit is a bit more difficult than standard glute hams.