Dylanroth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Training tips for an Ectomorph

I'm 18, 6 foot, and weigh 145 pounds. 6 months ago I weight 124 pounds. I'm looking to weight 165 in the next 6 months. I want all my gains to be muscle. I've been doing micro cycles to try and maximize my muscle growth. So the first week I would do lighter weight and more reps to build strength. Then the next week I would do heavier weight and less reps to build muscle. I've definitely seen a difference in myself at the gym because I'm lifting way more than I use to. I've been training since November.

Schedule: Mon: Chest/Triceps, Tues: Back/Biceps, Wed: Active Rest, Thurs: Shoulders/Legs, Friday: Abs, Sat: Active Rest, Sun: Active Rest.

When I say active rest I mean I'm not just at home doing nothing, I do some breakdancing and go out and play basketball on those days.

I've been taking QuickMass Loaded which has 1010 calories and 60 grams of protein (4 scoops). It also contains creatine. I have also been taking Jack3d for a week and it seems to have been giving me the energy to lift more, and finish more reps.

As for my diet I just try and eat over 4000 calories a day, and drink a gallon of water.

So I'm just wondering if I should change anything from what I am already doing. What are the best workouts for getting big? Also if my goal to gain over 20 pounds of muscle in 6 months is realistic. Thanks.

DeathSoSwiftly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    use more bottles of protein

Registered User ErikTheElectric's Avatar
    ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Looks like you're going to need more than 4,000 calories if you're not seeing gains and aren't taking "real" rest days very often.

How often are you actually hitting 4,000 calories? I know you stated that you "try" to hit that number.

I'd ditch the mass gainer, and get your calories from real food IMO. If you can't stomach that much food, then make your own (Own ingredients, save $$$)

Originally Posted by ErikTheElectric View Post
    Looks like you're going to need more than 4,000 calories if you're not seeing gains and aren't taking "real" rest days very often.

How often are you actually hitting 4,000 calories? I know you stated that you "try" to hit that number.

I'd ditch the mass gainer, and get your calories from real food IMO. If you can't stomach that much food, then make your own (Own ingredients, save $$$)
    I record what I eat and how many calories I take in a day, and I sometimes hit 3600 - 3800. What are some high calorie inexpensive food ideas you have? I like the mass gainer because its an easy source of calories.

ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Dylanroth View Post
    I record what I eat and how many calories I take in a day, and I sometimes hit 3600 - 3800. What are some high calorie inexpensive food ideas you have? I like the mass gainer because its an easy source of calories.
    Peanut Butter, Breakfast Cereals, A few old buddies of mine actually put "cake mix" in their whey shakes, eggs, oils, nuts, BIG bags of trail mix, etc.

Originally Posted by ErikTheElectric View Post
    Peanut Butter, Breakfast Cereals, A few old buddies of mine actually put "cake mix" in their whey shakes, eggs, oils, nuts, BIG bags of trail mix, etc.
    I have breakfast cereals, since I try and avoid eggs. I eat kashi cereal with peanut butter and bread, it totals to 1000 calories. Then 30 minutes later I drink my protein shake 60 grams and 1010 calories. Have a 1000 calorie lunch 2 hours later. Go to the gym, take my protein again 60 grams and 1010 calories. Then for dinner I have another 1000 calories. My lunch varies though, so I'm not always taking in over 5000 calories. I'll try the nuts or trail mix. But I don't wanna feel terrible after drinking protein with cake mix aha.

JoocyJake is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoocyJake is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoocyJake is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoocyJake is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoocyJake is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoocyJake is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoocyJake is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoocyJake is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoocyJake is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoocyJake is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoocyJake is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You wont gain 20 pounds pure muscle in 6 months
    Higher reps dont build strength

Originally Posted by JoocyJake View Post
    You wont gain 20 pounds pure muscle in 6 months
    Higher reps dont build strength
    Then what does? I made this post for answers. Motivation would be nice, but I'll take what you said as hater motivation and make that 20 pound gain in muscle in less than 6 months.

tld714 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tld714 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tld714 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tld714 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tld714 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tld714 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tld714 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tld714 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tld714 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tld714 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tld714 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Less weight more reps results in more muscle mass while more weight and less reps will increase your strength.

Try changing your workout up a little to hit everything 2x a week. Maybe try looking into a push/pull/legs/rest repeat routine

AdamNW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdamNW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdamNW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdamNW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdamNW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdamNW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdamNW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdamNW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdamNW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdamNW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdamNW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    you're not an ectomorph, just eat more.
    and get on a better training routine - the one you're on at the moment is terrible.
    increase the frequency of your training to at least hitting everything twice a week.
    upper/lower, push/pull/legs 2x a week, full body, etc are all examples.
    "It is what you do with the knowledge that dictates who you are" - Xuaxace
    Exclusive AdiPower crew: AdamNW, Xuaxace

★★★TBB FB Chat Crew★★★

My Log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142078571&p=827696231#post827696231
    Feel free to join!

Originally Posted by Dylanroth View Post
    I have breakfast cereals, since I try and avoid eggs. I eat kashi cereal with peanut butter and bread, it totals to 1000 calories. Then 30 minutes later I drink my protein shake 60 grams and 1010 calories. Have a 1000 calorie lunch 2 hours later. Go to the gym, take my protein again 60 grams and 1010 calories. Then for dinner I have another 1000 calories. My lunch varies though, so I'm not always taking in over 5000 calories. I'll try the nuts or trail mix. But I don't wanna feel terrible after drinking protein with cake mix aha.
    - Why do you "try to avoid eggs"?
    - Why do you time everything like you do? It doesn't matter when you get in your protein... all that matters is that you're hitting your daily recommended protein numbers at the end of the day.