Registered User SmallTownBaller's Avatar
    SmallTownBaller has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Basketball strength program help?

So basketball season has started and there will be about 3 varsity starting spots avaliable next season. I wanted to get stronger and a better shooter in the off-season so I need some help from you guys. I looked around on some programs online and blended them into my own. I only wanna lift 2 days a week because I will be doing basketball work almost everyday and I don't want soreness to affect it. I'm looking to just gain functional/useful strength not necessarily size. Planning on doing almost everything supersetted. Don't be too harsh on me plz...

Upper
    Military press w/ lateral raises
    Bench press w/ bent row
    Incline press w/ chins

Lower
    Squats
    Split Squats
    Romanian deads w/ lateral lunges
    Medicine ball plank w/ Bicycle crunches

Any feedback would be appreciated!

ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by SmallTownBaller View Post
    So basketball season has started and there will be about 3 varsity starting spots avaliable next season. I wanted to get stronger and a better shooter in the off-season so I need some help from you guys. I looked around on some programs online and blended them into my own. I only wanna lift 2 days a week because I will be doing basketball work almost everyday and I don't want soreness to affect it. I'm looking to just gain functional/useful strength not necessarily size. Planning on doing almost everything supersetted. Don't be too harsh on me plz...

Upper
    Bench press w/ bent row
    Incline press w/ chins

Lower
    Squats
    Split Squats

thats perfect, dont play basketball by yourself but just go to your practices and strength train to maintain what you gained in the summer

jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If that's going to be done alongside basketball training, it's too much. Supersetting is too much - you should be focusing on strength, and proprioception (body awareness) and neuromuscular efficiency (body control).

Go for a push/pull or a full body instead of an upper/lower - do something like A: squat/Overhead lift (ohp, db ohp, push press, jerk, whatever) and one or two pet lifts, then B: deadlift/chins (weighted) and one or two pet lifts. "pet lifts" is a place for things like lunges, or split squats, or even bench pressing. Bench isn't actually that useful, in an athletic sense, compared to OHP and lower body.

The thing about in-season training is that your goal needs to be to simply maintain strength, without interfering with your sport training. This is the time to develop sport-specific skills; working on your grand-scheme defense and offense, or communication and vision, and the off-season is the place to work on strength, conditioning, and develop specific points, like for example a 3-point shot. Just get into the weightroom once or twice a week, try to hit your whole body in as few lifts as possible. Stick to rep counts of 5 or 3, and use a heavy weight. When the off season comes around, it will be time to get on a routine like SS, SL, or if you're more advanced than that Madcows, Texas Method, Bill Starr's, etc. and put on some serious strength. Then you go back to developing your new body into it's role in the game.... and the cycle repeats. Good Luck.

TPriz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Looks like a good plan for in season training, but I would add some glute ham raises. Those will help your hamstrings , which most people lack. This will improve your speed and explosiveness. Try to make your main focus on your legs. Especially focus on plyometrics for basketball. In the offseason be sure to increase your training frequency. Focus on explosive movements that directly translate to the court.

Box squats done correctly would also be a great addition to your program. Make sure to come to a complete stop on the box, then explode up. And make sure the box height is at least parallel.

Registered User SmallTownBaller's Avatar
    SmallTownBaller has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What would a full body workout for basketball look like? And thanks for the advice
    Last edited by SmallTownBaller; 12-24-2012 at 08:03 PM.

What would a full body workout for basketball look like? And thanks for the advice
    if you google full body workout example, the first thing to come up is a great article on muscleandstrength dot com. Read it, and see what program best fits you. Good luck.

Sevspire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Tpriz is right, you want to explode!, endurance isn't as important as your explosiveness and the best way to increase that is by NOT pacing yourself in every exercise, you want that burst! Also flexibility becomes very important in your vertical. Just don't over train and listen to your body!
    I gained 7 inches myself off of this vertical jump training system. Saw it when it was on ESPN and I finally managed to beat my dad in basketball!

Jumptraining.sevmark.com

jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000)

Upper
    Bench press w/ bent row
    Incline press w/ chins

Lower
    Squats
    Split Squats

The two keys when designing an in-season program is to make it intense and make it 100% functional

Work in that 3-8 rep range. 9-12 sets is plenty per workout.

You don't need all that upper body work. Pair upper body push with lower body pull and vice versa. You need to build your program around exercises like deadlift, front squat, pull-ups, push press, chops. Exercises like planks, lateral raises, bent-over rows aren't the most functional.