Haljordanist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Jiu Jitsu Fueled Body Transformation

Hey Everyone!

I've struggled with my weight since my late grade school years. I got picked on. I was the "fat kid." Of course, now that I'm all grown up, I've learned that most of that is petty, but the reality of how you feel when you're fit, your increased confidence, and the health benefits are absolutely undeniable.

When I was 17 was about 295 lbs, but with the help of a friend, I ate really well over the summer and worked out more often than usual. I dropped down to between 240-245 lbs. I felt and looked great! I wasn't ripped by any means, but it was such an improvement from where I had been, I felt like I was on top of the world. The fact that finally, as a high school senior, I was swarmed by girls probably helped, too!

Eventually, I slowly reverted back to my old habits. Fast foods, fatty foods, starchy foods, salty foods, and lots of them! Tons of sugary drinks, including pop; water hardly passed my lips. I gained all the weight back and then some. By the time I was 19, I was at 315 lbs. School, jobs, poor lifestyle habits, quitting martial arts (I hold a 2nd Dan in TKD), starting a family, moving all over the place, etc., etc. Over and over I tried to remedy this. My wife and I tried it together. To eat better. To exercise. To create better habits. I failed each and every time. I let life get in the way. I allowed myself to be an emotional eater. How could I ever change it??? Maybe I was just destined to be fat...

A few months ago, I stepped on the scale and couldn't believe that the number reading back was a whopping 360 lbs!!! I told my wife enough was enough. We were going to have to make changes. Not on Monday... TODAY. That was in early April. So, far I've dropped around 20 lbs... well, if my weight would stop fluctuating. We eat a lot better. Chicken breasts, oatmeal, steamed vegetables, whole wheat bread, brown rice, wild rice, fish, fruits, Greek yogurt, nuts, whey protein, etc. We both use the Lose It app on our phones to keep track of what we eat, when we eat, total calories, and macronutrient percentages (which I try to keep around 40% protein, 40% carbs, and 20% fat). I eat about 5-6 meals a day. I drink between 4.5-6 liters of water daily, try to sleep between 7-8 hrs every night, don't drink alcohol, and the only supplement I take, other than Whey, is a multivitamin.

I've also gotten back into martial arts, but this time, I'm going the BJJ route. You just can't beat the versatility and it's a killer workout!!

My weekly schedule:

Mon - 40 minutes moderate cardio
    2 hrs Jiu Jitsu

Tue - Full-body weight training
    20 minutes moderate cardio

Wed - 40 minutes moderate cardio
    2 hrs Jiu Jitsu

Thu - Full-body weight training
    20 minutes moderate cardio

Fri - 40 minutes moderate cardio
    40 minutes yoga

Sat - Rest

Sun - Rest/2 hrs Jiu Jitsu
    (rotating weekly)

Tue Weight Workout:

Squats 3 x 8-10
    Bench 3 x 8-10
    BB Military Press 3 x 8-10
    Upright Row 3 x 8-10
    Lat Pulldowns 3 x 8-10
    EZ Bar Curls 2 x 8-10
    Tricep Pushdowns 2 x 8-10
    Standing Calf Raises 2 x 8-10
    Abs 2-3 sets of various exercises

Thu Weight Workout:

Deadlift 3 x 8-10
    Bench (Incline/Decline) 3 x 8-10
    DB Military Press 3 x 8-10
    Shrugs (DB/BB) 3 x 8-10
    Bentover Row 3 x 8-10
    DB Bicep Curls 2 x 8-10
    Overhead DB Tricep Extensions 2 x 8-10
    Standing Calf Raises 2 x 8-10
    Abs 2-3 sets of various exercises

In BJJ, we usually do some conditioning, circuit training, etc., so I try to avoid doing any other intense training the same days as BJJ. Now there are three different goals I'm striving to achieve: (1) drop excess body fat, (2) build a chiseled physique, (3) build physical strengths to aid in my BJJ game.

It's a long road ahead, but I don't feel the need to walk down any other. I will be keeping updates to my workouts, nutrition, and photos here! I'm looking for encouragement, tips, tweaks, comments, etc.

Thank you all so for your support on this journey!