Metalsubzero has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Groin pain during squats

guys, I'm new to this forum and consider myself a noob in weight training as well.. I'm currently on the SL5x5 program on the 17th day.. Squats at 70kg..

Lately, I've been getting this niggling pain in my left inner thigh area near the joints to my groin area while doing squats.. Same thing happens when I'm doing DLs.. It's to the point where I'm distracted by the pain and making me lose focus and control over my form.. I feel I can manage the weight without any problem if it wasnt for the pain, and this really sucked..

I adopt a slightly wider den shoulder stance with toes pointing outwards.. I do not squat pass parallel with knees in line or behind the toes at my lowest..

I have a video which I took for form checkin, but I'm not able to post it due to my lack of post counts.. Any kind souls can help on that?

Hope to get some critiques on my form so that I can improve..

Also, should I be considering stopping lifting for a while to prevent aggravating the condition? I do not feel pain on bodyweight squats and no pain at all day to day.. It only happens when Im squatting with a bb over my shoulders..

Thank you in advanced!

Arkwright has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Arkwright has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Arkwright has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Arkwright has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Arkwright has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Arkwright has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Arkwright has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Arkwright has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Arkwright has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Arkwright has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Arkwright has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    sounds like a strained hip flexer. be sure to do plenty of stretching if you're not very flexible. Also be sure to fully warm up properly.

strained flexers are common to new lifters as the muscle is rather weak in ppl who sit in chairs vs 3rd world squat (google it)

TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Welcome to lifting. These are your hip muscles.

Be sure to eat lots and lots of food, get lots of sleep, and ice your hips nightly. They'll recover.

FYI the wider you go, the more of a hip/groin stretch youll get. I'm not saying you should narrow your stance. I'm just saying that this is normal.

@Arkwright: I'm sorry I didnt get you on the sit in chair v 3rd world squat line.. I do a "sitting in chair" squat, at least I assume I do..

@TBU720: I'm guessing it's due to a lack of proper sleep and inadequate stretching.. I do stretching for my quads, hamstrings and calves and hips but not for the hips.. Maybe I should go and research on stretching techniques for that specific area.. Hmm, noted on the part on the icing.. Will try dat..

To be honest, I did narrowed my stance a lil, and it feels much better.. I might just go with squatting with my legs at shoulder width apart.. Gotta do a lil trial and error..

Thanks guy!

F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Your stance is wrong . Use the right stance.

Your glutes arent working. Make them work.

End.

jdwhitney has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdwhitney has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdwhitney has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdwhitney has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdwhitney has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdwhitney has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdwhitney has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdwhitney has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdwhitney has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdwhitney has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdwhitney has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Arkwright View Post
    sounds like a strained hip flexer. be sure to do plenty of stretching if you're not very flexible. Also be sure to fully warm up properly.

strained flexers are common to new lifters as the muscle is rather weak in ppl who sit in chairs vs 3rd world squat (google it)
    Strained hip flexor from squats/DL? How exactly does that happen? More like a hip adductor, since he's using a wider stance and external rotation of the hip. Ideally rest would be best, but if you are like most try reducing weight. Might also play with your stance, see if that helps. As I said, the wider your stance the more you will bring hip adductors in, pointing toes outward will also do this, so perhaps try a narrower stance and see how that goes.

Originally Posted by jdwhitney View Post
    Strained hip flexor from squats/DL? How exactly does that happen? More like a hip adductor, since he's using a wider stance and external rotation of the hip. Ideally rest would be best, but if you are like most try reducing weight. Might also play with your stance, see if that helps. As I said, the wider your stance the more you will bring hip adductors in, pointing toes outward will also do this, so perhaps try a narrower stance and see how that goes.
    I'm thinking it's the abductors as well, as most people usually point that out when people get groin pain from squatting with a wider stance..

I'm ready to rest if needed.. Even if it means it'll hamper my progress on SL5x5.. Nothing beats squatting in proper form pain free.. I'd rather do that than risk aggravating it.. Probably I'll give squatting with a narrower stance a shot again.. If it still hurts, I'll probably put off squatting for 2 weeks..

Gotta try icing the area as well..

Thanks for the quick replies!

TM392 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TM392 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TM392 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TM392 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TM392 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TM392 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TM392 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Do a dynamic warm up

Sumo squat stretch
    Hip swings
    Butterflies

I'd discontinue squatting for now until healed. Groin injuries can/do take time to heal if continually aggravated.

Turboxs23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Maybe I can help out a bit on the inner thigh pain. I had a similar issue when I started doing SL5x5. In my warmups I began doing the Hip Adductor machine every time i trained legs for a few sets and now I no longer have pain around this area. If you haven't fixed your issue yet give that a shot and see if it helps.