Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    P90X had things like flutter kick. Hate ab workouts.
    Master of karate, and friendship, for everyone crew.

CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Miketoc View Post
    P90X had things like flutter kick. Hate ab workouts.
    I'm not a fan of ab work for "the sixpack." I don't care about that. Abdominal work that makes you stronger is a different story. In terms of strength, I really learned how important abs are in strongman. Any time you have to brace your midsection in order to transfer power up/down through your spine, abs become super important.

I've said it before, but I'll post it here for posterity. Your spine, articulated as it is, really acts like a spring. Not a slinky spring, but more like leaf springs on a truck. The stiffer that leaf spring is, the more weight it can carry. Even more importantly, the less that leaf spring flexes, the more force you can directly transfer through it. Now, on a truck that would be a bad deal. We put leaf springs in to absorb force from the road/tire connection so that it isn't felt directly into the bed of the truck, right? Our body needs the opposite. You want every ounce of force between your feet and the ground to be transferred to pressing an object overhead, or shouldering an object. If any of that force gets absorbed through flexion of the spine, that is force not applied to the bar. Now, your spine isn't the only place you can lose power but it is a MAJOR issue as it is the single point of failure for lifts like a squat or overhead press. In an event like a yoke walk, your spine has to stabilize in all kinds of crazy directions as you walk under load. I always felt those really heavy walks in my "core" for lack of better terminology that describes all the muscles that stiffen the spine.

With the above idea in mind, a thick and strong midsection is a beautiful thing, and you typically see this on strongmen and Oly lifters. You don't get that wasp shaped waist because that is a weak design if you want to transfer power in the real world. That's not a comment about what is better, mind you. But form and function match up for a reason. You don't take a Ferrari off roading, and you don't try and take a monster truck to an F-1 race. The result of your training isn't any different.
    GoRuck Challenge Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150446113

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." -Edmund Burke

"Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also." -Marcus Aurelius

never ever ever give up strongforgood's Avatar
    strongforgood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) strongforgood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) strongforgood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) strongforgood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) strongforgood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) strongforgood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) strongforgood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) strongforgood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) strongforgood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) strongforgood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) strongforgood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by CookAndrewB View Post
    For those of you reading this (sometimes feels like a graveyard around here) I would challenge you to do a couple sets of burpees at the start of your workout for a few weeks and see if you don't feel the same way.
    OK, I'm going to try burpees, but will have to rename them first.

Also adding the flutter kicks and some of the other ab work for a nice change of pace in my usual routine, thanks!
    Last edited by strongforgood; 01-16-2013 at 01:23 PM. Reason: I shall call them Cookees

Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I work abs twice a week with weighted ab machines or a rope or decline situps. Things like the bicycle or flutter kicks strike me as burn "for the six pack" type which I have no use for. So I think we agree but I find flutter kicks to fall into the less useful category.

EDIT: That said, I admit I probably don't even do that type of ab work enough as evidenced by my journal.
    Master of karate, and friendship, for everyone crew.

CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Haven't logged workouts in a couple days so here it goes...

17 Jan 2013, lower body strength:

Warm up circuit:
    Burpee with mountain climbers added to the sequence x 6
    Ab wheel x 6
    hip thruster x 6
    Burpee with mountain climbers added to the sequence x 6
    Ab wheel x 6
    hip thruster x 6

Trying some different stuff today. Kept it short because I was a little crunched on time having to drive across the state for work.

DOH Deadlifts:
    135 x (3x5)
    225 x 2
    295 x 2
    345 x 2
    395 x 1 + 1 w/straps (did four "sets" in this pattern)

Last strapless lift was a little weaker than I would have cared for, but I hit it. Some days are better than others for grip, and I really can't explain it.

Captains of Crush Gripper:
    Trainer x 5
    #1 x 5
    #1.5 x 5
    #2 x (3x2 both hands)

And as I was saying about grip... last time I used my CoC grippers I couldn't close the #2 even to parallel. Today? No prob. I think this is my frustration with the idea that an off day equals over training or a stall, and an indicator that I need to mix it up. In my experience, sometimes an off day (or month) is just an off period of time and eventually everything tracks back in the right direction.
    GoRuck Challenge Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150446113

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." -Edmund Burke

"Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also." -Marcus Aurelius

18 Jan 2013 upper body conditioning

Again, I had to drive all over the state so this workout is a bit shorter than it might have otherwise been.

Warm up circuit:
    Burpee x 10
    Band pull-apart x (light band x 6)
    Band shoulder lateral raise x (mini x 10)
    Burpee x 10
    Band pull-apart x (light band x 6)
    Band shoulder lateral raise x (mini x 10)

Working circuit (all while wearing my pack):
    Hang clean and press x (135lb x 5)
    Land mine one arm row x (50lb x 6 each arm)

Did the above pairing six times total. It has been a very long time since I've done hang cleans, and a long time since I've done cleans for reps. Though the weight was about half of my best cleans from the floor, they really stepped up and kicked my arse. Wearing the pack makes this clean and press stuff extra interesting because though I'm only cleaning 135lbs, you have to shrug to clean and the pack adds weight to that portion of the movement. Same with the OH pressing, your traps are engaged in OH pressing and the bag adds weight to that portion of the movement but not the pressing with the arms. It has an interesting effect, and one that I'll have to think a bit more on. At this stage I would almost say it is like using bands or chains, but there is more going on there.

Push ups with pack:
    +39lbs x 24

Admittedly a little tired from the circuit training before hand, but I wanted some kind of base line regarding my endurance on these. As soon as my form became something not quite a push up, I stopped the set. So this isn't necessarily an all out "to failure" type of effort.

Originally Posted by strongforgood View Post
    OK, I'm going to try burpees, but will have to rename them first.
    Cookees

Originally Posted by Miketoc View Post
    I work abs twice a week with weighted ab machines or a rope or decline situps. Things like the bicycle or flutter kicks strike me as burn "for the six pack" type which I have no use for. So I think we agree but I find flutter kicks to fall into the less useful category.

EDIT: That said, I admit I probably don't even do that type of ab work enough as evidenced by my journal.
    Well again, I'm training for something "different" in that I will need a good bit of endurance on top of strength. So if you looked back through my training journal over the past year or more, I think you would see a very different type of abdominal training. I was working towards a standing ab wheel roll out, which is about as strong as I can imagine abs being.

I also expect to see this exact exercise during my event... so while I don't love them, I figure I will see them and thus some specific training isn't a bad idea.

Catching up with my journaling:

Haven't been on here for a few days so it is time to play catch up again. Just found out I am going to Florida for three weeks of training, so my normal game plan may be a little random for a few weeks (28 Jan-15 Feb).

Saturday 19 Jan:

Put in 3.25 miles, and I honestly had MUCH more in the tank. In general I haven't loved running, but for some reason it has felt good since 1 Jan. Maybe I'm not mentally fretting over it or maybe having lost a good bit of weight (last time I tried to really run I'll bet I was 20lbs heavier) has made it less miserable. Either way, I haven't hated it nearly as much.

After my run I did 100 lunges with my pack on, and did 2x30m bear crawls with my pack on. Lunges were difficult, bear crawls actually felt easy.

Sunday 20 Jan:

Went for a run before breakfast at my favorite diner. Got in 2+ miles, and over 8 miles for the week. Spent the rest of the day at the Newport, KY aquarium. Fun place, a bit of a drive to get there but I enjoyed every minute of it.

Monday 21 Jan:

Warm up circuit:
    burpees x 10
    KB swing x (45 x 20)
    SSB box squats touch-n-go to 12" box x (60 x 20)
    burpees x 10
    KB swing x (45 x 20)
    SSB box squats touch-n-go to 12" box x (60 x 20)

Burpees felt good, glutes were a little sore from the lunges I assume. Really felt it doing the KB swings.

SSB box squats to 12" box:
    150 x (3x2)
    200 x 2
    250 x 2
    200 x 2
    250 x 2
    200 x 2

Didn't do a lot with these. Tried to keep the reps fast and keep my form clean. I'm a little ambivalent towards doing a ball buster leg day on Monday after I've put in 5+ miles of running over Sat/Sun and probably another few miles in hiking, etc. So I think this day may just be a general "work out the kinks" day for me. I may start plugging in more OH squats and such. Something that is taxing/challenging without being a lot of volume/intensity for my legs. Maybe like a REALLY active recovery. Still feeling this out.

Hip thrusters:
    135 x (2x10)

Wanted to get some other work in, and just wound up doing these. Not overly hard, again just some moving around to work out some stiffness.

Jan 22nd Upper strength day

Warm up circuit:
    Burpees x 10
    Band resisted row x (doubled monster mini x 6)
    Band pull apart x (light band x 6)
    Burpees x 10
    Band resisted row x (doubled monster mini x 6)
    Band pull apart x (light band x 6)

It was REALLY cold this morning. 6 degrees according to the thermometer on my house. Garage was a place of despair and coldness as my propane tank ran out today. Temp immediately took a nose dive towards the low teens.

Bench press/ pullups superset:
    135 x 8 / BW x 8 <---- x 3 sets
    185 x 3 / +45 x 3
    235 x 3 / +70 x 3
    285 x 1 / 39lb pack +45 x 1 <---- 6 total singles of each.

Bench press was very comfortable with a pause on my chest. Pullups were fine, but I won't lie my pullup bar was freezing my damn hands off. Normally I start my workouts wearing a knit hat and my hooded sweatshirt and end up in just a t-shirt. It was so cold today I never took off any of my clothing layers and froze my arse off. I do not like days like today. Will be buying more propane tonight. Tomorrow is a movement/METCON day and a run. Should be up around 20 degrees with snow tomorrow. Should make for an interesting run if I decide to head outside.

A lot to catch up on...

23 Jan movement and METCON

Warm up circuit:
    Burpee x 14
    Jump rope x 70 skips
    Olympic ring dips x 7
    Burpee x 14
    Jump rope x 70 skips
    Olympic ring dips x 7

Hill runs with pack:
    5 runs up-hill 160m, walk down 160m between was all the rest I took. This was really my first experience running with my pack. It was interesting to say the least. I don't think the weight was so bad, but it did take some alteration to my normal running stride to smooth out my stride to keep the pack from bouncing. It was comfortable enough to do over a short distance, but I'm not sure about it for longer distances.

Bird dog/flutter kicks/static hold band resisted neck work:
    Bird dog x 20
    Flutter kick x 60
    Static neck hold x 60 sec forward
    Bird dog x 20
    Flutter kick x 60
    Static neck hold x 60 sec back

For the neck work I basically mount a medium band on my power rack, loop it around my head, and then "lean" away from the rack and allow my neck muscles to take the weight of my body. The band also allows for some dynamic work, if desired.

Did 30 minutes of stationary bike work in the evening.

24 Jan lower body strength day

Warm up circuit:
    Burpee x 10
    kneeling ab wheel x 8
    BW squat with pack x 20
    Burpee x 10
    kneeling ab wheel x 8
    BW squat with pack x 20

DOH deadlift:
    135 x (3x5)
    225 x 2
    295 x 2
    345 x 2
    395 x (1 + 1 w/strap) x 3
    395 x 1 + 1 no strap

5 total reps without straps, 3 with.

Vulcan gripper:
    lvl 3 gold spring x 15 + 15

25 Jan Upper body conditioning

Warm up circuit:
    Burpee x 5
    BB hang clean x (135 x 5)
    KB OHP x (45 x 5L/5R)

Above circuit 6 times.

Pushup with pack and narrow neutral grip pullup with pack superset:
    pushup x 10 + pullup x 3 - this superset conducted 6 times

Navy PT:
    30 minutes on a stationary bike

Hammer strength military press x (55lb per hand x 20 + 15)

Hammer strength rows x (45lb per hand x 20 + 20)

26 and 27 Jan endurance

26 Jan:

3.67 mile run, temp in mid 20's, some of the trail I ran was clear, other portions had 2-3 inches of snow. Run was actually very nice. Even though it was cold and snowy, the sun was out and there were lots of people out enjoying the day (walkers, kids sledding, dogs playing fetch).

27 Jan:

2.8 mile run, temp in high teens, roads pretty clear of snow with some icy spots. I definitely under-dressed for this run and ended up being a little on the miserable side.

28 Jan Lower body conditioning:

Warm up circuit:
    burpee x 5
    KB Swing x 10
    SSB box squat to 12" x (70 x 5)

Above circuit 6 times.

Snatch/OH squat:
    95lb x (1/6)
    100 x (1/5)
    105 x (1/4)
    110 x (1/3)
    115 x (1/2)
    120 x (1/1)

Just trying something new. I actually liked this protocol, but think that (time permitting) I would start with higher reps.

Took the rest of my workout time to stretch out.

Upper body strength day:

First off, I did this at 4:30am before getting on the road for work. Not the BEST time to test my strength.

Warm up circuit:
    Burpee x 10
    Band pull apart x (Light x 8)
    Pullups x (BW x 10)
    Burpee x 10
    Band pull apart x (Light x 8)
    Pullups x (BW x 10)

Bench press/ Band resistance rows superset:
    Bench x (135 x 5) / Row x (dbl monster band x 5)
    Bench x (135 x 5) / Row x (dbl monster band x 5)
    Bench x (185 x 3) / Row x (dbl monster band x 5)
    Bench x (185 x 3) / Row x (dbl monster band x 5)
    Bench x (235 x 2) / Row x (dbl monster band x 5)
    Bench x (285 x 1) / Row x (dbl monster band x 5)
    Bench x (305 x 1) / Row x (dbl monster band x 5)
    Bench x (325 x miss) / Row x (dbl monster band x 5)

Now, there are probably many reasons that I missed that 325, which should have been pretty solid. Early morning, I've lost a good bit of weight (though it has been a while since I have stepped on a scale, I believe I'm around 200 now), etc. I also haven't really worked up to a weight that heavy in quite a while, and that really matters. This also really made me question what the point of a max lift is, outside of powerlifting.

30 Jan METCON/movement

Well, I had big plans to go hiking when I was on my business trip. Packed my ruck sack full of bricks and everything! Mother Nature wasn't in on my plans and decided that 48 hours of torrential downpours would be way more fun. Just did some bodyweight work in my hotel room.

BW Lunges x 100

Bear crawl/crab walk superset (15' each way) x 10 round trips with no rest.

Burpees x (4x10)

Lower Body strength day:

Warm up circuit:
    Burpee x 10
    Kneeling ab wheel x 8
    Wide stance BW squat x 10
    Burpee x 10
    Kneeling ab wheel x 8
    Wide stance BW squat x 10

DOH deadlift:
    135 x (3x5)
    225 x 2
    295 x 2
    345 x 2
    395 x (1 + 1 w/straps) - five combinations like this.

CoC Gripper:
    T x 5
    #1 x 5
    #1.5 x 5
    #2 x 3 + 1

I was listening to a strength/conditioning podcast that I normally listen to and they were discussing some concepts that I may look to incorporate.

1) Density training. I'm most familiar with escalating density, but this podcast was discussing the beauty of denisty training being that the workload should be at a level that is challenging, but also sustainable over time so that even though it gets miserable after 3-4 minutes you can still hit your numbers out to ten plus minutes. For those of you not sure what desnity training is, it just says that you will do 'X' reps at the top of every minute for 'X' minutes. So lets say that we apply this to squats and say that at the top of every minute we are going to do ten squats. Over the course of ten minutes you will end up with 100 reps. It is a way to increase work capacity, but it isn't a strength protocol by any means. Still, there are lots of sporting events that require this kind of capacity (soccer, football, hockey, wrestling, etc) where activity comes in frequent bursts but isn't continuous like a marathon race, swimming, biking and so forth. This is also different from something like powerlifting, Olympic lifting, or even field events in track where you have max power output followed by long periods of rest. The event I'm training for should wind up a cross between that steady state and consistent bursts of energy.

2) "If something is important, do it every day." Nothing follows this axiom better than Olympic lifting. I spent a long time thinking about what specific skill I should be practicing every day. Well, I didn't really come up with any one thing. I do my burpees every day, but I really do that as a good diagnostic of where I'm at in my recovery/mobility and so forth. It isn't uniquely important to GoRuck by any means. Then it hit me that the "important thing" I need to do every day is to TRAIN. It is important to move every day and simply build a tolerance for moving, jumping, crawling, lifting, so on and so forth. So it probably stands true that if you want to be good at something, you simply have to do it a lot. When I had a 400lb bench, I benched 3-4 times per week. I didn't have a plan, other than to go and spend a retarded amount of time benching. If I wanted to get back to that, I think I would do the same thing again, honestly. There was a study/research project that looked at how much practice it takes to be great at something, and it always shocked me just how big that number was (number of balls hit with a golf club, number of hours playing a piano, whatever). I remember thinking that a lot of that equated to YEARS of practice, and not as in a little bit every day, but all the hours added up equated to years of 24 hour days, 365 days per year. When you divide that up into something reasonable, it becomes truly amazing, and explains why you get little Tiger Woods playing golf like a boss when he is 13, because he actually started his practice years earlier.

This concept is both comforting for me (I've been consistently training for over 20 years now) and a little daunting. If I crunch the numbers I think I've got about ten days (24 hour days) worth of training per year. About 240, 24 hour, days of training in the past 22 years. That is NOT a lot of time. If anyone wonders why we don't reach our genetic potential, I would say that's about the long and the short of it. I would also say that this is the reason I really don't think training 5-7 days a week is an issueas far as recovery goes. The amount of time we spend training is really very miniscule in the grand scheme of things.

Just some rantings after a long day of work. Tomorrow is another day to add a drop in the big bucket towards becoming an expert!

CamLeslie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CamLeslie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CamLeslie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CamLeslie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CamLeslie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CamLeslie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CamLeslie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CamLeslie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CamLeslie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CamLeslie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CamLeslie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by CookAndrewB View Post
    I was listening to a strength/conditioning podcast that I normally listen to and they were discussing some concepts that I may look to incorporate.
    What podcast?
    First, Revolution
    Then, Resolution
    Finally, Evolution

SQ [450x1] BP [285x1] DL [500x1] all @ 230 Raw, Drug Free

Originally Posted by CamLeslie View Post
    What podcast?
    Strength Coach Podcast. It is most famously (infamously) associated with Mike Boyle, but his contribution is really only a short segment in every podcast. The greater value is in the other strength and conditioning coaches they get on. Can't recall the coach that talked about all the info above, but he is a kettle bell guy (RKC instructor) that developed a training program for passing the RKC certification. While that exact pursuit isn't my thing, it did give me a good number of ideas to apply to my own training (more than I commented on) and that is the value of listening/reading material that isn't "sport specific."

Weekend Work, 1 Feb-3 Feb:

Well, had a particularly busy day Friday and my best laid plans to hit the gym were derailed. I did manage to get 2.5 miles on the treadmill Thursday night.

Saturday:
    Took a long run (for me, working back towards 8-10 miles) of 5.36 miles. Snowing and 20-something degrees. I actually had ice building up on my eyelashes, which is an interesting sensation. Dressed appropriately, and my ability to judge how many layers I need is getting better. I figure that is a good skill to have regardless of fitness pursuits. You know... survival skills for the zombie apocalypse. When, not if...

Sunday:
    First shot at running with my pack on. Really need to spend some time packing my brick bundle better. It bounced all over the place and made the run more challenging than it needed to be. Weather was about the same, lots of snow on the ground, so it was like running in sand. Hit 1.25 miles and decided that was a good start.

Total mileage for the week was 9.11.

4 Feb METCON

First, I went back and looked at my goals and right now I think I'm going to be using the "big but boring" 5/3/1 template for my two strength days. I'm looking at bench press and deadlift as my two primary exercises for strength gains, and looking at squats and military press only in an endurance light for now.

METCON circuit "Lucky 7's":
    Burpee x 7
    KB swings x (70lb x 7)
    SSB Box squats to 12" x (110 x 7)

Did the above circuit 6 times, each set was done at the top of the minute, so burpees started at 0:00, KB swings started at 1:00, squats at 2:00 and so on. Rest was anything I could squeeze in between the end of a set and the start of the next minute. Density training like I discussed in an earlier post. In hindsight I might have done 7 circuits to keep in the spirit of the Lucky 7's. Next time. Honestly, my thoughts on this is that it did exactly what the podcast discussed. I was breathing heavy, felt like it was kicking my arse, and I still had just enough energy to bang out the next set, and the next, and the next. Going to keep this up for a few weeks and get some baseline idea about just how long it takes to adapt to the point where I can cut down rest time, or add in more work. The above workout netted me 126 reps in 18 minutes.

Snatch/power clean:
    Similar to the above, only this time I hit one rep at each 30 second mark.
    135 x (10x1) snatch followed by 135 x (10x1) power clean.

10 snatches in 5 minutes doesn't sound like a lot, but it is a pretty good pace. When I got dicey on my form for the snatches, I switched up to power cleans to wrap up my ten minutes.

Pack overhead hold for time:
    Did two sets of 1 minute holds. Not really training so much as trying to figure out a good grip and figure out how hard this is going to be.

Upper Strength day:

Warm up circuit:

I liked the density training stuff from yesterday, so I did more today (shortened) for my warm up.
    Burpee x 7
    Pullup x 7
    Axle standing OHP x (85x7)

Did the above circuit 3 times, covering 9 minutes.

Bench Press:
    135 x 5 + 5
    185 x 5
    225 x 5
    240 x 5
    255 x 5

Felt decent. Focused in on good form and trying to keep the press fast.

Big but Boring accessory work (Bench/Band resistance rows):

155 x 10 normal/ Dbl Mini x 15
    155 x 10 wide/ Dbl Mini x 15
    155 x 10 normal/ Dbl Mini x 15
    155 x 10 narrow/ Dbl Mini x 15
    155 x 9 normal/ Dbl Mini x 15

This ended up feeling like quite a bit of volume. Glad I didn't start above 155. As it was, I barely locked out rep 9 on my last set. I actually expect to be sore from this. Not sure I loved the band rows. In order to get the volume in I dropped the resistance quite a bit and I'm not sure how I feel about that. I may look into some other plan for this, including landmine rows, which I can set up pretty easily. Hoping the volume just takes some getting used to and I'll be able to up the weight a bit soon.

6 Feb movement/METCON

Had an early day at work, so this was a little time compressed.

Warm up circuit:
    Burpee x 7
    BW Lunges x 30
    Pullup x 7

3 sets of the above circuit. Didn't try to time this one out, just kept pushing forward at a reasonable pace.

Walk with pack:
    Did 1.75 miles, which is 2.5 trips around my block. Wanted to do more, but that was all I had time for.

Lower body strength day:

Warm up circuit:
    burpee x 10
    Kettlebell swing x (45 x 20)
    Toe touch squat stand x 10
    burpee x 10
    Kettlebell swing x (45 x 20)
    Toe touch squat stand x 10

DOH Deadlift:
    135 x 5 + 5
    225 x 5
    275 x 5
    300 x 5
    320 x 5
    340 x 5

First day doing the 5/3/1 deadlifting. Again, this is more volume than I'm used to and it is going to take a bit of time to adjust to. Felt like my grip was solid, and my form was good. However, I couldn't even begin to think about doing 5x10 deadlifts after this.

Safety Squat Bar good mornings superset with PRT Curl ups:

SSB good mornings (110 x 10) + PRT Curl ups x 25 - 5 sets of this.

Good mornings felt like a close approximation for deadlifting and I didn't want to add in more squats. I kept the good mornings light and focused on good form and transferring the load to the hamstrings/glutes. I've seen a lot of crappy GM's in my day, and I really don't see the value in going very heavy and getting this wrong. Hell, even at 110 I really feel it in my hamstrings and I tend to try and get a "resisted stretch" out of each rep.

PRT curl ups are the Navy version of a crunch/sit-up, in case anyone missed that before. It is a performance measure for our physical readiness test.

Ran 3 miles. Weather was relatively warm, high 30's, and a little wet but not icy. Actually felt weird not to be all bundled up and plodding through 3" of snow.

Navy PT Friday:

120 walking lunges with pack

Circuit with pack:
    15 goblet squats (15lb kb) x 15
    10 push ups
    5 pullups

Circuit above done 4 times through.

15 minute walk with pack on treadmill at 5 degree incline.

The lunge/circuit bit was really all I could stomach, and by the end of the 4th set I was gassed and queasy. Hooray!

Well, looks like I have a lot of catching up to do....

9 Feb Cardio

4.06 mile run. Very cold, but at least it wasn't snowing.

10 Feb Hike with pack

5.47 mile hike Clear Creek https://ohiodnr.com/location/dnap/cl...7/Default.aspx

Beautiful day, high 30's and sunny. Misjudged my departure time a bit, and ended up finishing out my hike in the dark. Park ranger was waiting for me when I got back to my car

Total Run distance for the week was 7.06, just met my goal 7 miles due to lack of time.

11 Feb METCON/lower body conditioning

Circuit Burpee/Hang clean and press/SSB 12" box squat (each set done at the top of the minute, 18 minutes total):

Burpee x 6
    Hang clean and press x (135 x 5)
    SSB 12" box squat x (150 x 4)

Above circuit done 6 times. I have really enjoyed this protocol. Feel like it has contributed greatly to my conditioning.

Kettle bell swing/ CoC Gripper superset:

70# KB x 10
    #1 CoC Gripper x 5

6 superset pairs of the above. Found that this really hit my grip and allowed me to "rest" by switching the demands on my grip between crushing and dynamic supporting grip.

Run with my pack, .9 miles. This is a lap around my block including a pretty good hill which runs approximately the full length of the block on one side, which of course means that one side is also a downhill. Trying to work in more runs with my pack, with the assumption that I won't need to do more than 1-2 miles at a shot running.

Upper body strength, 12 Feb

Warm up circuit:
    Burpee x 10
    Pull-up x 10
    Band pull apart x (mini band x 10)
    Burpee x 10
    Pull-up x 10
    Band pull apart x (mini band x 10)

Bench press:
    135 x 5 + 5
    185 x 3
    225 x 3
    240 x 3
    255 x 3
    270 x 3

Felt good, plenty of strength in the tank for this.

Big but boring follow up:
    Bench x (155 x 10)
    Land mine 1 arm rows x (45lb x 10)

Above pairing x 5 supersets. Bench felt better, went a little light on the 1 arm rows but I haven't really done many of these so I was testing the water a bit.

Movement and METCON 13 Feb

Burpee long jump/bear crawl/crab walk circuit (each done for 20'):

total of 6 circuits, total distance 360'.

Run with pack:

.9 mile lap around block again. Felt better today, getting used to the feel of how the pack rides and playing with smoothing my stride to keep it from bouncing around. Really haven't had a chance to play with modifying the brick pack to keep it set in the bag without shifting. Starting to think maybe it isn't super important, and that learning to move with a "live weight" is the bigger deal in making this comfortable.

Flutter kick:
    3 x 60 reps

Bird dog:
    2 x 30 reps

Lower strength, 14 Feb:

Warm up circuit:
    Burpee x 8
    Bridge x 6
    KB swing x (70 x 20)
    Burpee x 8
    Bridge x 6
    KB swing x (70 x 20)

DOH Deadlift:
    135 x 5 + 5
    225 x 3
    275 x 3
    320 x 3
    340 x 3
    360 x 3

Run with pack:
    1.3 miles. Stretched this run out a little bit so I could cover 3 miles of pack runs for the week.