flowxsss is not very well liked. (-100) flowxsss is not very well liked. (-100) flowxsss is not very well liked. (-100) flowxsss is not very well liked. (-100) flowxsss is not very well liked. (-100) flowxsss is not very well liked. (-100) flowxsss is not very well liked. (-100) flowxsss is not very well liked. (-100) flowxsss is not very well liked. (-100) flowxsss is not very well liked. (-100) flowxsss is not very well liked. (-100)

Deadlifts and Squats, how many rest days should be given after workout?

i dont want to be doing too much but usually im not sore after 48 hours and ready to go , so which of these routines do you think is better for 7 days cycle !!
    -day1 squats ,legs day
    -day4 deadlift, back day

OR
    -day1 squats and deadlift, then take the rest of the week to recover!!

how many days is sufficient and enough for rest and recovery, some say you should do heavy compounds once a week , others say 48-72 hours is good enough!!
    what do you think and which of these routines has given you best results in gaining body mass?

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by flowxsss View Post
    so which of these routines do you think is better for 7 days cycle !!
    -day1 squats ,legs day
    -day4 deadlift, back day

OR
    I've done both. There are benefits to both. Lately I either squat or deadlift once a week, and pretty much alternate them. But I also have two other strongman sessions a week ( which tend to be more taxing than gym lifts ). My advice would be to experiment and keep a log.
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you can do both in the same week your gainz will be moar
    SQ: 225x5 (High-bar ATG)
    DL: 295x5/315x1

"Many basic or compound exercises (e.g. squat, bench press, etc.) have a bell shaped resistance curves or shift the resistance through multiple muscle groups throughout the exercise's range of motion allowing the muscles to momentarily relax between repetitions. This period of momentary relaxation between repetitions allows greater opportunity for momentary blood flow permitting the clearing of acid accumulation."

BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by bigtallox View Post
    I've done both. There are benefits to both. Lately I either squat or deadlift once a week, and pretty much alternate them. But I also have two other strongman sessions a week ( which tend to be more taxing than gym lifts ). My advice would be to experiment and keep a log.
    I do both, but definitely prefer to alternate.

I think both can be done both ways, depending on what you expect or try with either approach. I tend to look at squat days as stiff legged dead lift days, and true dead lift days as "avoid" squats days... but you can mix it up as you see fit.

Seriously, there is no right or wrong answer. You will find perhaps that doing real deads on BW squat days is just not sensible- the main reason to do ANY exercise is to get the max from it, and if you just finished sets of squats, you are not likely to do your best on sets of true deads....

But I tend to view this like bigtall does... one a week, alternate. They can be devastating if you have cajones.
    Nobody improves without trying. Period.

Listen to your wisdom as you gain it. Rarely are things lost forever. Change is usually always possible. Second chances sometimes reveal better results than first chances. Always look to believe that you can and will be better. You're not done until you give up.

(Bear= wife's nickname for me... Luna= my nickname for her)

MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000)
    I squat three times a week, but it's lighter (aka front) squats in the middle. The other two days, it's a mix of high and low bar.

I'd say you need two days rest as a novice, from squatting (subjectively) heavy. As an "advanced novice" or intermediate lifter, this might change, as it has for me (see above).

Advanced lifters might (or equally, might not) choose to squat only once a week.

Deadlifting, I only do once a week (day 2), but I do go heavy. Personally, it strikes me as a very different lift, in this regard. I feel that I only need to do them that infrequently, and also, that they require more recovery time.

I do however make sure to do other exercises that strengthen the lower back and traps (etc.) on days 1 and 3.

As for your options, OP, both look fine. Choose one and see how it goes.

flowxsss is not very well liked. (-100) flowxsss is not very well liked. (-100) flowxsss is not very well liked. (-100) flowxsss is not very well liked. (-100) flowxsss is not very well liked. (-100) flowxsss is not very well liked. (-100) flowxsss is not very well liked. (-100) flowxsss is not very well liked. (-100) flowxsss is not very well liked. (-100) flowxsss is not very well liked. (-100) flowxsss is not very well liked. (-100)
    maybe im wrong here but i read some where that growth hormone lasts only 48 hours after you exercise a certain muscle so no need to wait more than 48 hours to work that muscle again!! correct me if im wrong,,

geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It really depends on your goals. Try the different schemes and then decide on how well your body recovers. I tell you one thing though, if your goal is to go as heavy as possible on these lifts then I wouldn't do them on the same day, one of the lifts will suffer. I do mine three days apart, it works for me.
    Get your ass in the gym period!

gixxer1620 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Bro I just started doing heavy deads,squats and flat bench x2 a week and have been carving up the gains after a long plateau. I do other compounds in between. Training partner has been the same. Def recommend for a short period.

well guys after all this info you put here ,for my w/o its going to be squats then after 4days rest its time for deads,, if it gets too much i,ll just add more rest days in between.
    Last edited by flowxsss; 12-03-2012 at 02:22 AM.

EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I squat and dead on the same day, then work my back/biceps the next day. I do squats again after 1 day of rest.
    Eric

PR's
    squat 335x1
    benchpress 245x1
    DB Benchpress 100'sx6
    Bent over rows 245x8
    deadlifts 445x1
    Military press 130x6
    Chin-ups BW+100x2
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144259741 My workout journal

Originally Posted by EB68 View Post
    I squat and dead on the same day, then work my back/biceps the next day. I do squats again after 1 day of rest.
    i cant do both same day,, and i have no idea how you can do back after squat and dead day !! too exhausting for me,,
    Last edited by flowxsss; 12-03-2012 at 05:29 AM.

lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    if i do as you do i,ll be dead in two weeks, and i consider my self to be athletic !!!
    Just depends where you are at. As a novice lifter I'm still coping with squatting 3 times a week close to 300lb and deads every other session for close to 400lb. Recovery is now starting to become the limiting factor for me as the weights go up, especially now I'm not eating to grow, but even if I change my progression to ease up a bit I'll stick with the full body programming for as long as I can.

Originally Posted by lunchbreak View Post
    Just depends where you are at. As a novice lifter I'm still coping with squatting 3 times a week close to 300lb and deads every other session for close to 400lb. Recovery is now starting to become the limiting factor for me as the weights go up, especially now I'm not eating to grow, but even if I change my progression to ease up a bit I'll stick with the full body programming for as long as I can.
    it seems to me that compound training is the heart of bodybuilding and other exercises are for filling the gap between major compound workout,s, offcourse for advanced bodybuilders this does not apply,,

Dielikeadog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dielikeadog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dielikeadog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dielikeadog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dielikeadog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dielikeadog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dielikeadog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dielikeadog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dielikeadog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dielikeadog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dielikeadog has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I do both twice a week. I do back day after leg day.
    Only uses barbell crew
    misc beard crew

DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I used to do deads right after squats twice a week, but then switched to a deadlift/arms day once a week. It's not clear to me that my deads have progressed any faster this way - I had some really good deadlifting sessions right after squatting. I guess I'm funny that way.

I find I lose too much strength if I wait very long between squat days. Right now I go 2 or 3 days between squats, depending on my work and travel schedule. Some of my best gains seemed to be when I had 2 days between leg workouts.

Originally Posted by EB68 View Post
    Wow, that's intense. But I can't argue with the results!

Originally Posted by lunchbreak View Post
    Novice in experience, maybe, but not in strength! Those are some serious weights - certainly high intermediate if not advanced lifts. I've been squatting my heart out for 11 months and honestly, I just don't see that I'm ever going to reach 300. But I won't stop trying! When I first started lifting, my goals were to bench my weight, curl half my weight, and squat twice my weight. The first two I have done, but the squats are just a pipe dream at this point. Deadlifts weren't on my radar at the time, but I managed to deadlift twice my weight, though just 3 reps.
    Peace: Lift Long and Prosper!

Alamagan Dågan - and proud of it!

Lean, mean, geek machine

Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    i dont want to be doing too much but usually im not sore after 48 hours and ready to go , so which of these routines do you think is better for 7 days cycle !!
    -day1 squats ,legs day
    -day4 deadlift, back day

OR

how many days is sufficient and enough for rest and recovery, some say you should do heavy compounds once a week , others say 48-72 hours is good enough!!
    what do you think and which of these routines has given you best results in gaining body mass?
    I've done both as well. But recently, up until I pulled my calf muscle, I was trying to bench, squat and deadlift twice a week and was making some decent strength gains.

My week would look like:

Sunday - Bench
    Monday - off
    Tuesday - Deadlift
    Wednesday - Bench
    Thursday- Squat, heavier day
    Friday - Rack pulls or deadlifts
    Saturday - Leg Press & Squats, lighter but higher volume

Until my calf heals up, my workouts are looking like crap for the most part.
    Eat, Sleep, Lift...Repeat!

OV35 Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=388841&page=90

xccellence.com, theironden.com

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Recovery is an individual thing that varies from lifter to lifter.
    Squats and DL's take a lot out of you and put much stress on the nervous system.
    Take as much recovery time as you need.
    If you dont lift you can do an easy recovery cardio session or two.
    The older we get the more time the body takes to recover so let it.
    I couldnt do the volume i did in my twenties and recover adequately for my next training session thats just the way it is.
    Be smart and get your recovery time and watch your lifts go up.

Originally Posted by Garage Rat View Post
    Recovery is an individual thing that varies from lifter to lifter.
    Squats and DL's take a lot out of you and put much stress on the nervous system.
    Take as much recovery time as you need.
    If you dont lift you can do an easy recovery cardio session or two.
    The older we get the more time the body takes to recover so let it.
    I couldnt do the volume i did in my twenties and recover adequately for my next training session thats just the way it is.
    Be smart and get your recovery time and watch your lifts go up.
    my legs are the worst body part ive got,, thats why im focusing deads and squats. although i still cant do deadlifts my bw but i increase number of sets , on monday i did 12 sets 10 reps each of deads and nothing else, im still sore till now my butt middle n lower back and hamstrings , two more days and i,ll be ready to squat, im making progress "slow progress" in muscle gains, i dont want to push my self to real heavy weights i feel medium heavy weight is intense enough for me, im slim built 5.9 176 lb , instead i increase number of sets n reps to get the most of every w/o.

SonOfDoom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SonOfDoom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SonOfDoom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SonOfDoom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SonOfDoom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SonOfDoom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SonOfDoom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SonOfDoom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SonOfDoom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SonOfDoom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SonOfDoom has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I can't even squat and deadlift in the same training cycle unless it's just box squats for speed with bands, then I can also deadlift in then same week. But, has to be sumo every other time... alternate sumo and conv... that's what I did while building my deadlift up to 900 and beyond.

The way I'm built, my legs work a lot on floor deads, and I get constant quad injuries from squats so I only train Deadlifts now and am experimenting with rest days. I train very intensely with few sets, Yates style, so I need AT LEAST 10 days preferably 12-14 between deadlift workouts. Between deadlift days I often go in and hit some leg extensions and leg curls after some shoulder presses. Just for some extra leg size while my back is still recovering.

Deads put more size on my body than squats, and in strongman, deadlift is #1 so that's what I focus on. Plus much safer than squats, for me.
    I love you Jesse Marunde

Jesse: you too! in a totally macho, swords and axes, round house kick, bloody forearms and max squat kind of way!

blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    A lot has to do with your overall program, intensity levels, volume, progression scheme, etc. That said, I currently do a pull/push routine that has me either squatting or deadlifting every training day (5 days a week). Took a little getting used to but it's working fine. I use short wave periodization though, so if I'm squatting 3 times in a week (2.5 frequency so that's every other week) then one session is 4x8, one is 4x5 and one is 3x3, doing the same scheme every time would be MUCH harder as the current setup varies the stress type.