Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    nebraskaheat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nebraskaheat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nebraskaheat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nebraskaheat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nebraskaheat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nebraskaheat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nebraskaheat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nebraskaheat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nebraskaheat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nebraskaheat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nebraskaheat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Aware me.. Supps and recovery...

So I was talking to a co-worker who has been lifting for years, telling him my routine, he told me I needed to work some more rest days in there.. That I'm not allowing for enough recovery time..

I mentioned all the supps I take, from my Pre, to my various pump products, to my BCAA's, creatine, and my test booster all claiming to increase recovery time. He hinted there is only one type of product that can boost recovery time, one that we don't mention here..

Anyways, it got me thinking. Do you buy any of these products for increased recovery time? So you can get a few extra lifting days in there every month?

Or is it more the amount of lifting you do per workout, not necessarily extra workouts that you see the "increased recovery" claims on all these products labels?
    Last edited by nebraskaheat; 11-24-2012 at 02:01 PM.
    The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.
    -Nietzsche

You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six.
    -Yogi Berra

gynogon is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) gynogon is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) gynogon is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) gynogon is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) gynogon is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) gynogon is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) gynogon is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) gynogon is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) gynogon is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) gynogon is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) gynogon is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    yes one big supplement is glutamine but this form in particular is buffered glutamine and it is incredible effective for recovery and muscle growth its made by scit fit called gluta lyn. they also make a better form of cratine which is also highly rated its called kre alkalyn

BetterThanLife is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BetterThanLife is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BetterThanLife is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BetterThanLife is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BetterThanLife is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BetterThanLife is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BetterThanLife is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BetterThanLife is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BetterThanLife is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BetterThanLife is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BetterThanLife is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by nebraskaheat View Post
    So I was talking to a co-worker who has been lifting for years, telling him my routine, he told me I needed to work some more rest days in there.. That I'm not allowing for enough recovery time..

I mentioned all the supps I take, from my Pre, to my various pump products, to my BCAA's, creatine, and my test booster all claiming to increase recovery time. He hinted there is only one type of product that can boost recovery time, one that we don't mention here..

Anyways, it got me thinking. Do you buy any of these products for increased recovery time? So you can get a few extra lifting days in there every month?

Or is it more the amount of lifting you do per workout, not necessarily extra workouts that you see the "increased recovery" claims on all these products labels?
    Reorganize your routine if you feel like you're overtraining. Depending on your exercise selection and how long your sessions last, you could train every day without overdoing it. I wish there were a supplement that could magically repair muscle damage after exercise, but it does not exist. It's mostly about proper diet and sleep.
    Originally Posted by gynogon View Post
    yes one big supplement is glutamine but this form in particular is buffered glutamine and it is incredible effective for recovery and muscle growth its made by scit fit called gluta lyn. they also make a better form of cratine which is also highly rated its called kre alkalyn
    I see why you are in the red zone...

digler84 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) digler84 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) digler84 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) digler84 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) digler84 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) digler84 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) digler84 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) digler84 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) digler84 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) digler84 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) digler84 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by gynogon View Post
    Bad advice is bad.

Bad, bad, bad.

Hansolo261 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hansolo261 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hansolo261 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hansolo261 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hansolo261 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hansolo261 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hansolo261 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hansolo261 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hansolo261 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hansolo261 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hansolo261 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Rest is the best thing you can do for recovery. You are giving supps way to much credit.supps may help but you still need to work in some reovery time
    Hemavol
    Potassium nitrate
    Reboot
    Phosphatidylserine
    Staples

nebraskaheat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nebraskaheat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nebraskaheat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nebraskaheat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nebraskaheat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nebraskaheat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nebraskaheat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nebraskaheat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nebraskaheat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nebraskaheat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nebraskaheat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I think I must not have made myself clear..

I'm not saying I rely on my supps for my recovery.. It really isn't about me at all. I only mentioned the first part because it got me thinking of the over all question..

WHICH IS: If you only rely on rest, and don't squeeze extra workouts in, thanks to your supplements.. Why is it every supplement you take advertises increased recovery time?

Who cares about increasing your recovery time if you're not going to be able to work out more and are going with the same amount of rest regardless of wether you are taking the supp or not..
    The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.
    -Nietzsche

You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six.
    -Yogi Berra

Registered User DevinJohnAustin's Avatar
    DevinJohnAustin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DevinJohnAustin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DevinJohnAustin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DevinJohnAustin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DevinJohnAustin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DevinJohnAustin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DevinJohnAustin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DevinJohnAustin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DevinJohnAustin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DevinJohnAustin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DevinJohnAustin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Wink

Basically save ya self money and dont by bcaas waiste of time because protein in broken down into full chain amino acids that means all the amino acids are in so unless your veggie and cba to sort a huge lost of foods to combine to complete amino acid chains dont bother. Pump suppliments are shown to cause cancer and why need the extra pump?? Bad thing about pre workouts is the amount of chems in them and i know people who find they cant seem to have a good work out with out them thats the regular users though. Creatine it does work but i just use it before and after for my pre and post meal but thats up to you how you use use and it can cause kidney damage. But take my advice or dont just trying to save you money your bodys gonna heal at its own rate unless you use the stuff we dont talk about

BetterThanLife is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BetterThanLife is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BetterThanLife is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BetterThanLife is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BetterThanLife is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BetterThanLife is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BetterThanLife is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BetterThanLife is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BetterThanLife is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BetterThanLife is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BetterThanLife is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I think I must not have made myself clear..

I'm not saying I rely on my supps for my recovery.. It really isn't about me at all. I only mentioned the first part because it got me thinking of the over all question..

WHICH IS: If you only rely on rest, and don't squeeze extra workouts in, thanks to your supplements.. Why is it every supplement you take advertises increased recovery time?

Who cares about increasing your recovery time if you're not going to be able to work out more and are going with the same amount of rest regardless of wether you are taking the supp or not..
    Do you have any examples of specific products? Protein plays a crucial role in recovery, but I consider that to be part of the proper diet that I mentioned before. If you were to neglect protein, then it would impair your recovery. This is why most recovery supplements are based on protein, BCAAs, and carbs.

Originally Posted by BetterThanLife View Post
    Do you have any examples of specific products? Protein plays a crucial role in recovery, but I consider that to be part of the proper diet that I mentioned before. If you were to neglect protein, then it would impair your recovery. This is why most recovery supplements are based on protein, amino acids, and carbs.

I love my protein and get plenty. In fact my first try of Trutein cinnabun is on its way to me now..

But you want an example? Okay..

From the White Flood page here on bb.com

"We also included natural antioxidants to aid recovery....."

From the SAN Fierce Domination page here on bb.com

"OPTIMAL RECOVERY - FIERCE DOMINATION's performance enhancing nutrient technology helps bring recovery enhancing nutrient technology helps bring recovery to an elite status. "

From the Scivation Xtend page here on bb.com

"Improved Neuromuscular Responsiveness & Recovery"

From the Con-Crete page here on bb.com

"Helps Support Strength, Endurance
    and Muscle Recovery"

That's just a few examples.. There are thousands that claim to improve your recovery. Yet I've never heard of anyone saying "Because I'm taking 6 supps that all boost my recovery, I'm working out more often"..

So, what's the point of everyone advertising it?

Maybe it's just me, I just find it odd.
    -Nietzsche

-Yogi Berra

BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Marketing 101:

Add catch phrases and extraordinary claims to draw the consumers' attention.

I have noticed improved recovery (less soreness) with some things, though.
    NASM Certified Personal Trainer and Nutritionist
    Online Trainer/Coach - PM for Details/Inquiries

I see what you mean. I hardly ever glance at product descriptions. I think anything can be twisted in a way to where it can be said that it helps with recovery. Take glutamine for instance, which was found to speed recovery time when given to hospital patients following surgery. These studies were interpreted to indicate that glutamine aids in recovery from all types of injuries, including muscle tears incurred during weightlifting.

digler84 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) digler84 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) digler84 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) digler84 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) digler84 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) digler84 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) digler84 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) digler84 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) digler84 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) digler84 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) digler84 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I always thought the reduced recovery time was in reference to the time needed between sets. This is where I seem to see the benefit with the products you mentioned. Not necessarily recovery the following day.

BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigBoLuke93 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by digler84 View Post
    I always thought the reduced recovery time was in reference to the time needed between sets. This is where I seem to see the benefit with the products you mentioned. Not necessarily recovery the following day.
    This as well.
    NASM Certified Personal Trainer and Nutritionist
    Online Trainer/Coach - PM for Details/Inquiries

Originally Posted by digler84 View Post

Thank you.. This is kind of what I was originally (in my own confusing way lol) asking. Are they marketing post workout recovery, intra workout recovery, or just marketing falsely period?

I was just browsing so many supps in preparation for Black Friday sales, and noticed almost all of them claimed some sort of muscle recovery ability.. Just wanted to get some clarification on it..
    -Nietzsche

-Yogi Berra

Now North of Westside UncleWade's Avatar
    UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Citrulline malate, at a dose of ~8g preworkout, has been shown to decrease delayed onset muscle soreness [DOMS], which I feel is a very functional real world recovery marker, in weight trained individuals by 40% in the 24-48 hour period following a workout as compared to a placebo.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20386132

SNS Citrulline Malate comes in 300g containers for about ~$20, a great and highly cost effective recovery supplement.

NOV || Ohio Chapter || Be more, have less.