gojimike is on a distinguished road. (+10) gojimike is on a distinguished road. (+10) gojimike is on a distinguished road. (+10) gojimike is on a distinguished road. (+10) gojimike is on a distinguished road. (+10) gojimike is on a distinguished road. (+10) gojimike is on a distinguished road. (+10) gojimike is on a distinguished road. (+10) gojimike is on a distinguished road. (+10) gojimike is on a distinguished road. (+10) gojimike is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Angry Frustration with Pull Ups. Help

I've been having trouble with pull ups. I just cant' seem to increase the number of reps per week. I do it once a week after my deadlifts. The highest I got in one set was 6. There are times when it is 5 and this week it's only 4. I don't have problems increasing lbs with other exercises like bench press, squat or deadlift. I really just want to increase this number so I can later add some weight in it while doing the pull ups.

Reps for the help and suggestions. Thanks

srs

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I'm also cutting right now but even before while bulking I was still having problems with the pull ups.
    [300 Spartan Helot/07-21-2012]

t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by gojimike View Post
    I've been having trouble with pull ups. I just cant' seem to increase the number of reps per week. I do it once a week after my deadlifts. The highest I got in one set was 6. There are times when it is 5 and this week it's only 4. I don't have problems increasing lbs with other exercises like bench press, squat or deadlift. I really just want to increase this number so I can later add some weight in it while doing the pull ups.

Reps for the help and suggestions. Thanks

srs

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I'm also cutting right now but even before while bulking I was still having problems with the pull ups.
    When I was working on upping my pull up numbers, almost every time I passed the pull up station, I would jump on it and try to pound out as many as I could. This might not be the best practice overall but I ended up doing it about 3 sets 3-4 times a week. Within a month or two, I moved from 3-4 good form pull ups to 12-15. I would say it's all in the frequency that you work on them.

gojimike is on a distinguished road. (+10) gojimike is on a distinguished road. (+10) gojimike is on a distinguished road. (+10) gojimike is on a distinguished road. (+10) gojimike is on a distinguished road. (+10) gojimike is on a distinguished road. (+10) gojimike is on a distinguished road. (+10) gojimike is on a distinguished road. (+10) gojimike is on a distinguished road. (+10) gojimike is on a distinguished road. (+10) gojimike is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by t8rtot View Post
    When I was working on upping my pull up numbers, almost every time I passed the pull up station, I would jump on it and try to pound out as many as I could. This might not be the best practice overall but I ended up doing it about 3 sets 3-4 times a week. Within a month or two, I moved from 3-4 good form pull ups to 12-15. I would say it's all in the frequency that you work on them.
    Thanks man. I guess I need to increase my frequency. I think I will do it in the morning focusing only in pull ups.

t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thanks man. I guess I need to increase my frequency. I think I will do it in the morning focusing only in pull ups.
    Also keep in mind that I didn't just go in every day and fire off 3 sets. They were spread out over an hour and a half. Also perhaps work on strengthening up your lat pull downs ( I know it's not a substitute for pull ups, but could always help)

Originally Posted by t8rtot View Post
    Also keep in mind that I didn't just go in every day and fire off 3 sets. They were spread out over an hour and a half. Also perhaps work on strengthening up your lat pull downs ( I know it's not a substitute for pull ups, but could always help)
    I actually did that in the beginning using lat pull downs and increase the weight every week but I eventually stop doing it and just did the pull ups. I don't know where I read it but it mention something about lat pull downs not helping with pull ups.

I actually did that in the beginning using lat pull downs and increase the weight every week but I eventually stop doing it and just did the pull ups. I don't know where I read it but it mention something about lat pull downs not helping with pull ups.
    It's basic, but I believe the thing that helped me the most was frequency. I still throw in random sets when I pass by the pull up station.

Lifting to Avoid COVID-19 PeterGibbons316's Avatar
    PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It's also possible that heavier deadlifts are causing more fatigue and making your pull-ups harder. I like to do deadlifts last.
    My Journal (RIP 05/11 - 09/13):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134256491

DIY Plyo Boxes:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151765733

Registered User Fitcollegechick's Avatar
    Fitcollegechick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fitcollegechick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fitcollegechick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fitcollegechick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fitcollegechick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fitcollegechick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fitcollegechick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fitcollegechick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fitcollegechick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fitcollegechick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fitcollegechick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Don't cheat them. Do them w perfect form. That is how I learned it really helps develop your muscles. It will in turn help you do more down the road. I barley could do 1 now can do 10.

Registered User unclejesseshair's Avatar
    unclejesseshair has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) unclejesseshair has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) unclejesseshair has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) unclejesseshair has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) unclejesseshair has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) unclejesseshair has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) unclejesseshair has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) unclejesseshair has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) unclejesseshair has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) unclejesseshair has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) unclejesseshair has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    2 things:

1) use Chalk... better grip

2) mind-muscle connection.. focus on using your lats to pull you up, not your biceps
    current 5x5 (not my max):

squat 220#
    bench 190#
    dead 270#
    press 115#
    row 130#

wt: 166
    bf: i dunno

BOUNTYHUNTERMK2 is a name known to all. (+5000) BOUNTYHUNTERMK2 is a name known to all. (+5000) BOUNTYHUNTERMK2 is a name known to all. (+5000) BOUNTYHUNTERMK2 is a name known to all. (+5000) BOUNTYHUNTERMK2 is a name known to all. (+5000) BOUNTYHUNTERMK2 is a name known to all. (+5000) BOUNTYHUNTERMK2 is a name known to all. (+5000) BOUNTYHUNTERMK2 is a name known to all. (+5000) BOUNTYHUNTERMK2 is a name known to all. (+5000) BOUNTYHUNTERMK2 is a name known to all. (+5000) BOUNTYHUNTERMK2 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Like one previous poster mentioned-do them first in your workout if they are a weakpoint. Heavy deads do a lovely number on your grip which would affect your chins to a certain extent.
    ''There’s this battle over waterboarding at places like Guantanamo Bay. I think that they should just say, “Hey, if you guys don’t talk, you have to see Hercules In New York.” I guarantee those guys would talk much faster. You don’t need to do waterboarding or anything else. That’s the ultimate threat.''

Arnold Schwarzenegger

Team Kai

''Well that's a kick in the gentleman relish'' MaKaiser

librazebra has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Wearing gloves probably helps too, when I do pull-ups with my bare hands my palms tire out and get all callous-y so I have to frequently rest my palms between sets, and as a previous poster said, chalk will probably help immensely. I've heard that doing a pull-up and lowering yourself slowly on the negative helps build strength too. Also don't focus on getting your chain over the bar, you will probably find yourself stretching your neck near the end of the rep to get your chin over the bar instead, instead squeeze your biceps and lats at the end of the rep. I started out only doing 4 and now I can do about 15.
    Name: Eric
    Height & Weight: 5'8", 135 lbs
    Body fat %: ~10%
    Vertical Jump: 32"
    Currently: Hitting the gym daily, lifting weights to add mass.

Abs are accomplished through eating right. Eat brown rice, whole wheat, vegetables, and stay away from soda, candy, and fried foods.