bucketofsand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bucketofsand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bucketofsand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bucketofsand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bucketofsand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bucketofsand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bucketofsand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bucketofsand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bucketofsand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bucketofsand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bucketofsand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

INCREASING bench press - will this work? what did you do

So this program says you can increase max bench 25-50% in 9 weeks, requires you do do like 7-8 sets of benching?! Do you think it works? what have you done and worked? My bench progress lagging behind

Week 1
    Monday ...........................Thursday
    60% of max x 8 reps...............60% of max x 8 reps
    75% of max x 6 reps...............75% of max x 6 reps
    80% of max x 4 sets of 5 reps.....80% of max x 3 sets of 5 reps
    75% of max x 5 reps...............75% of max x 5 reps
    ..................................75% of max x 5 reps

Week 2
    60% of max x 8 reps ..............60% of max x 8 reps
    75% of max x 6 reps ..............75% of max x 6 reps
    80% of max x 5 reps ..............80% of max x 5 reps
    85% of max x 3 sets of 4 reps.....85% of max x 2 sets of 4 reps
    80% of max x max reps ............80% of max x max reps
    ..................................75% of max x max reps
    Week 3
    Monday............................Thursday
    60% of max x8 reps ...............60% of max x 8 reps
    85% of max x 3 sets of 4 reps.....85% of max x 2 sets of 4 reps
    80% of max x max reps ............80% of max x max reps
    ..................................80% of max x max reps
    Week 4
    60% of max x 8 reps ..............60% of max x 8 reps
    85% of max x 4 reps .............85% of max x 4 reps
    90% of max x 2 sets of 3 reps.....90% of max x max reps
    90% of max x max reps ............80% of max x max reps
    ..................................75% of max x max reps
    Week 5
    60% of max x 8 reps ...............60% of max x 8 reps
    75% of max x 6 reps ...............75% of max x 6 reps
    85% of max x 4 reps ...............85% of max x 4 reps
    90% of max x 3 sets of 3 reps .....90% of max x 2 sets of 3 reps
    80% of max x max reps .............80% of max x max reps
    ...................................80% of max x max reps
    Week 6
    Monday.............................Thursday
    90% of max x 3 reps ...............90% of max x 2 sets of 3 reps
    92% of max x max reps .............85% of max x max reps
    85% of max x max reps .............80% of max x max reps
    80% of max x max reps ..................................
    Week 7
    90% of max x 3 reps ...............90% of max x 3 reps
    95% of max x 2 sets of 3 reps .....92% of max x 2 reps
    80% of max x max reps .............95% of max x 2 reps
    ...................................85% of max x max reps
    Week 8
    90% of max x 3 reps ...............90% of max x 3 reps
    92% of max x 2 reps ...............95% of max x 2 reps
    95% of max x max ..................90% of max x max
    85% of max x max .....................................
    Rep me & ill return the favor.

BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    What I do when I am plateauing badly on bench is give my TRICEPS alone a day, no chest. I hit them hard and heavy, helps A LOT

bucketofsand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bucketofsand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bucketofsand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bucketofsand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bucketofsand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bucketofsand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bucketofsand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bucketofsand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bucketofsand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bucketofsand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bucketofsand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Im currently hitting chest and tris twice a week now too! Getting strong tris defs is good for benching
    Originally Posted by BigStewTheJew View Post
    What I do when I am plateauing badly on bench is give my TRICEPS alone a day, no chest. I hit them hard and heavy, helps A LOT

BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by bucketofsand View Post
    Im currently hitting chest and tris twice a week now too! Getting strong tris defs is good for benching
    I meant like I'd only do a day of ONLY tri, verry heavy when I plateu

Unfocus is just really nice. (+1000) Unfocus is just really nice. (+1000) Unfocus is just really nice. (+1000) Unfocus is just really nice. (+1000) Unfocus is just really nice. (+1000) Unfocus is just really nice. (+1000) Unfocus is just really nice. (+1000) Unfocus is just really nice. (+1000) Unfocus is just really nice. (+1000) Unfocus is just really nice. (+1000) Unfocus is just really nice. (+1000)
    Should probably do some shoulders and triceps too.
    Follow my Workout log-http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156251783
    -----------
    Teen BB Big 3 PL Champ
    |5'4"|160lbs|12%BF|18 years|
    BB Full Squat 1rm: 425lbs
    BB Deadlift 1rm: 475lbs
    Bench Press 1rm: 275lbs
    ★★★TBB FB Chat Crew★★★

shaneaunt is a complete loser! (-2000) shaneaunt is a complete loser! (-2000) shaneaunt is a complete loser! (-2000) shaneaunt is a complete loser! (-2000) shaneaunt is a complete loser! (-2000) shaneaunt is a complete loser! (-2000) shaneaunt is a complete loser! (-2000) shaneaunt is a complete loser! (-2000) shaneaunt is a complete loser! (-2000) shaneaunt is a complete loser! (-2000) shaneaunt is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Eat more bench more, bench more

Originally Posted by Unfocus View Post
    Should probably do some shoulders and triceps too.
    Naw I like the hard tri workout for it.

Kilenz is just really nice. (+1000) Kilenz is just really nice. (+1000) Kilenz is just really nice. (+1000) Kilenz is just really nice. (+1000) Kilenz is just really nice. (+1000) Kilenz is just really nice. (+1000) Kilenz is just really nice. (+1000) Kilenz is just really nice. (+1000) Kilenz is just really nice. (+1000) Kilenz is just really nice. (+1000) Kilenz is just really nice. (+1000)
    I started benching 3x a week.
    Rep back 100+

Current Lifts

Squat: 200kg (440lb)
    Bench: 125kg (275lb)
    Dead: 220kg (484lb)
    Total: 545kg (1199lb)

**MISC astronomy crew**

Do you guys think that 60% bench to start off is part of the work out ? or warming up ...cos i usually build up the warm up (eg. start with bar, then 15 kg etc)

NeedMoreGAINS has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NeedMoreGAINS has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NeedMoreGAINS has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NeedMoreGAINS has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NeedMoreGAINS has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NeedMoreGAINS has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NeedMoreGAINS has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NeedMoreGAINS has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NeedMoreGAINS has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NeedMoreGAINS has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NeedMoreGAINS has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    hey this is kind of like my high school weight training program for bench; i increased my 3 rep max by 20 but it could have been higher if the coach was consistent

Unfocus is just really nice. (+1000) Unfocus is just really nice. (+1000) Unfocus is just really nice. (+1000) Unfocus is just really nice. (+1000) Unfocus is just really nice. (+1000) Unfocus is just really nice. (+1000) Unfocus is just really nice. (+1000) Unfocus is just really nice. (+1000) Unfocus is just really nice. (+1000) Unfocus is just really nice. (+1000) Unfocus is just really nice. (+1000)
    Naw I like the hard tri workout for it.
    You realize Bench press uses a lot of shoulders too right, yes I understand having strong triceps helps, but shoulders are the ones that help the most when you push from the bottom of your press, which normally is where most people get stuck on is the bottom, because people generally have weak shoulders.
    Follow my Workout log-http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156251783
    -----------
    Teen BB Big 3 PL Champ
    |5'4"|160lbs|12%BF|18 years|
    BB Full Squat 1rm: 425lbs
    BB Deadlift 1rm: 475lbs
    Bench Press 1rm: 275lbs
    ★★★TBB FB Chat Crew★★★

shaneaunt is a complete loser! (-2000) shaneaunt is a complete loser! (-2000) shaneaunt is a complete loser! (-2000) shaneaunt is a complete loser! (-2000) shaneaunt is a complete loser! (-2000) shaneaunt is a complete loser! (-2000) shaneaunt is a complete loser! (-2000) shaneaunt is a complete loser! (-2000) shaneaunt is a complete loser! (-2000) shaneaunt is a complete loser! (-2000) shaneaunt is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Originally Posted by Unfocus View Post
    You realize Bench press uses a lot of shoulders too right, yes I understand having strong triceps helps, but shoulders are the ones that help the most when you push from the bottom of your press, which normally is where most people get stuck on is the bottom, because people generally have weak shoulders.
    Benching is enough for shoulders

any other thoughts? Is it too many sets, 8 sets ..

Gary002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gary002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gary002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gary002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gary002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gary002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gary002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gary002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gary002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gary002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gary002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am a noob but my understanding is that if you want a bench more you really need to work on your upper back more, as for your form I can not say. I don't do shoulders on a chest day even tho bench will work your shoulders to a point. Shoulders I found are better on another day. Also my understanding on progress is that if you can't do e.g. 4 sets of 8 then drop back to 3 sets of 8 and so on, but again I am a noob at this and read alot and take all the information I can.

Yeah i work on back and shoulders all on another day. When i hit chest i do it with tris only. But im just wondering if that this program has too many sets or not, and if anyone has done something similar to this
    Originally Posted by Gary002 View Post
    I am a noob but my understanding is that if you want a bench more you really need to work on your upper back more, as for your form I can not say. I don't do shoulders on a chest day even tho bench will work your shoulders to a point. Shoulders I found are better on another day. Also my understanding on progress is that if you can't do e.g. 4 sets of 8 then drop back to 3 sets of 8 and so on, but again I am a noob at this and read alot and take all the information I can.

Acebren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Acebren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Acebren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Acebren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Acebren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Acebren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Acebren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Acebren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Acebren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Acebren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Acebren has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    all those phucking numbers and **** in OPs post are useless, train hard as phuck and your bench will increase, no need for all this rocket science
    Bench Press: 267Lbs.

Squats: 314Lbs.

Deadlift: 399Lbs.

Gregthegiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gregthegiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gregthegiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gregthegiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gregthegiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gregthegiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gregthegiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gregthegiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gregthegiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gregthegiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gregthegiant is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Looks like it should be helpful in increasing your bench. It's kinda hard to go wrong as long as you are benching. Honestly I never spent time focusing on strength training for bench. I've always worked in the 8-12 rep range and my bench has gone up a ton.
    Success is found in the garden of failure

liljim001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) liljim001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) liljim001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) liljim001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) liljim001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) liljim001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) liljim001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) liljim001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) liljim001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) liljim001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) liljim001 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Gregthegiant View Post
    I've always worked in the 8-12 rep range and my bench has gone up a ton.

^^ This, people make it way more complicated then it needs to be.. Just do 3-4 sets 8-12 reps and you're done, that's what I've been doing and my bench is still going up quickly

Registered User LlamaWithARifle's Avatar
    LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yes it could work, but chances are you don't need something like that just yet.

Double check you are eating enough

Double check your form, So You Think You Can Bench? Is a good video series for this.

If you are still having problems then look at your weakness and try to improve it.

If you are weak off the chest then work your shoulders, lats and chest. Bent over rows and dumbbell benching (with a FULL rom) will work brilliantly for this.

If you are weak at lockout then more tricep work would help, skull crushers, dumbbell extensions, cross body extensions should all work.
    Squat: 202.5kg | 446lbs
    Bench: 125kg | 275lbs
    Deadlift: 235kg | 518lbs

Originally Posted by shaneaunt View Post
    Benching is enough for shoulders

mhm

ZAK993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZAK993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZAK993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZAK993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZAK993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZAK993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZAK993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZAK993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZAK993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZAK993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZAK993 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    learning how to use leg drive properly can help alot