ferman31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Red face Hi newbie here, introducing myself and advice please

Hi Im new here.

Would just like some advice please if anyone minds!!

Im female aged 31
    Height 5ft 3in
    Weight 113lb
    Im trying to gain muscle. I have been working out for 3 months now, have seen changes in my body have lost inches but my weight hasn't changed since I started in beginning of August!!!!

I do about 20mins of cardio every morning, 6am before breakfast usually HIIT on stationary bike.
    And 4 days a week I do weights for about 45mins/1hour split between upper and lower body on alternate days with rest day inbetween.
    Workouts consist of various barbell & dumbbell exercises squats bench presses kettle bell workouts, I usually do most between 3 x 6-10 reps & try to increase weights. Have got ideas of workouts & exercises from bodybuilding.com. I work out at home with my partner.

I eat well for example:
    Before breakfast & cardio workout - protein shake (usn igf-1)
    Breakfast - a bowl of oatmeal
    lunch - usually salad with beans/chicken/qunioa etc or a small meal like dinner
    Dinner - eg meat, brown carbs & green veg, or healthy meals with the right balance of good carbs & protein etc
    snacks - fruit or eggs or homemade oat cookies

(Also have a cheat day/meal on Sundays or every other Sunday)

I have my protein shake again after workouts & most evenings have another bowl of oatmeal before bed because I love it!!!!

I follow myfitness pal on my phone & usually have a net cal of 1200/1400 - not sure if this is enough but dont want to gain the wrong kind of weight!

Apparently my BMR is about 1760 calories per day so is that what I should be eating not NET!? confused :s

I would like to gain lots more muscle, I def have muscle now & I didn't 3 months ago!! I know its a slow process. But would just like to know if what i'm doing is right & any tips & advice from anyone would be great.

Thank you, Ang xx
    Last edited by ferman31; 11-09-2012 at 03:59 AM.

mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    To gain muscle you have to be in a calorie surplus so you must eat over maintainence. You will gain weight and you will gain fat and that is why many people will do a bulk then after go on a cut to cut down on the fat gained while retaining the muscle.

Thank you for your advice! How long do you think I would need to bulk for as in weeks? And how much do you think I should gain?
    I'm Def up for trying that as like to eat!

Originally Posted by mcmoon View Post
    To gain muscle you have to be in a calorie surplus so you must eat over maintainence. You will gain weight and you will gain fat and that is why many people will do a bulk then after go on a cut to cut down on the fat gained while retaining the muscle.

abellis131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) abellis131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) abellis131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) abellis131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) abellis131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) abellis131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) abellis131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) abellis131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) abellis131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) abellis131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) abellis131 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If you're doing HIIT on top of lifting and still expecting to make gains, it's really important that you eat a little extra (ie, net over 1760 cal). I've made strength gains in a caloric deficit before, but it's a reallyyyy slow process. I recently started eating more (just like, 100-300 cal over maintenance) and it's awesome in every way... better recovery, more energy, more enjoyment of food. I have confidence that the big strength and some lean mass increases will come. That's what's working for me right now, but it takes some experimenting and adjusting to find what works for you

If strength is your real goal, focus on hitting your macros and lifting heavy and worry about the scale later. As long as you like the way you look and feel, weight doesn't matter, right?
    "The greats weren't great 'cause at birth they could paint, the greats were great 'cause they paint a lot."

Bench: 150x1 (Goal: 150x5)
    Squat: 225x1 (Goal: 225x3)
    DL: 250x1 (Goal: 250x3)

Thank you! I'm gonna up my daily calories starting from today! So net more than 1750 that's gonna be fun I know it's not a fast process and I Def need to experiment and be patient! Thanks for advice

Originally Posted by abellis131 View Post
    If you're doing HIIT on top of lifting and still expecting to make gains, it's really important that you eat a little extra (ie, net over 1760 cal). I've made strength gains in a caloric deficit before, but it's a reallyyyy slow process. I recently started eating more (just like, 100-300 cal over maintenance) and it's awesome in every way... better recovery, more energy, more enjoyment of food. I have confidence that the big strength and some lean mass increases will come. That's what's working for me right now, but it takes some experimenting and adjusting to find what works for you

If strength is your real goal, focus on hitting your macros and lifting heavy and worry about the scale later. As long as you like the way you look and feel, weight doesn't matter, right?

mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ferman31 View Post
    Thank you for your advice! How long do you think I would need to bulk for as in weeks? And how much do you think I should gain?
    I'm Def up for trying that as like to eat!
    Honestly I am doing my first true bulk now because I used to cut weight for the sport I competed in so I did not really want to gain weight so I would not have to cut more weight. I am also a guy and mostly visit this section to see if there are any helpful tips to give my wife but if I can give someone some help I will and with that said hopefully one of the females in this forum who are very much more educated in the matter will come in and give you better advice than I ever could.

Thanks already got a couple of good tips! Didn't think I needed to do a bulk so that's a good start! And yea hopefully some females can advice me too
    be good to know how long and much need to bulk!?

Originally Posted by mcmoon View Post
    Honestly I am doing my first true bulk now because I used to cut weight for the sport I competed in so I did not really want to gain weight so I would not have to cut more weight. I am also a guy and mostly visit this section to see if there are any helpful tips to give my wife but if I can give someone some help I will and with that said hopefully one of the females in this forum who are very much more educated in the matter will come in and give you better advice than I ever could.

megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ferman31 View Post
    Thanks already got a couple of good tips! Didn't think I needed to do a bulk so that's a good start! And yea hopefully some females can advice me too
    be good to know how long and much need to bulk!?
    Bulks are typically done over months to years. A good start is 6 months. Try aiming for a half pound gain per week. As you increase calories you'll increase glycogen and water so the initial weight gain may throw you off. Keep eating above maintenance and it will level out in a few weeks.

There is a bulking thread in the femal general area you ought to check out.
    Coming out of "retirement"...Meg is training for a Figure competition...again!!!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171008551&pagenumber=

My first ever training journal: Oh snap....Meg-O's training for a Figure comp...
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139228463

Great will check it out, thanks

Originally Posted by megdaig View Post
    Bulks are typically done over months to years. A good start is 6 months. Try aiming for a half pound gain per week. As you increase calories you'll increase glycogen and water so the initial weight gain may throw you off. Keep eating above maintenance and it will level out in a few weeks.

There is a bulking thread in the femal general area you ought to check out.