Page 102 of 105 FirstFirst ... 2 52 92 100 101 102 103 104 ... LastLast
Results 3,031 to 3,060 of 3123
    SamPNE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SamPNE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SamPNE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SamPNE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SamPNE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SamPNE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SamPNE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SamPNE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SamPNE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SamPNE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SamPNE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm picking this up again after a lot of time away from the gym, really looking forward to getting back to work.

Ryan, do you recommend specific rest periods in between sets? And do rest times change based on the set type? E.g. You'd rest for longer in between 3 rep sets than you would 8/10/15 rep sets?

2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SamPNE View Post
    I'm picking this up again after a lot of time away from the gym, really looking forward to getting back to work.

Ryan, do you recommend specific rest periods in between sets? And do rest times change based on the set type? E.g. You'd rest for longer in between 3 rep sets than you would 8/10/15 rep sets?
    Happy New Year Sam,

Rest periods for strength training fall within that 2-5 minute range for 99% of applications. My personal sweet spot is 3 minutes and that goes for nearly every set I'm doing with a GST training day.

I have written longer form articles on rest periods, but the general advice of 2-5 minutes is going to treat you well. For specific instances, consider these thoughts:

High Rep/Lower Weight Sets - These will generally have a lower need for rest, as you're not working fast twitch fibers as hard, aren't moving near-maximal weight loads, and generally recover fast from this type of work. 2-3 minutes will work well, as long as your cardio conditioning is decent. You don't want to start a set out of breath and high rep sets, especially high rep compound movements will work up your heart rate like an interval would.

Medium Rep/Medium Weight Sets - Just like their intensity level, these tend to have a mid-range rest period length. You're looking at semi-heavy weight, especially in the 8-10 rep range and that's going to call fast and slow twitch fibers into play. Consider 2-4 minutes of rest here, depending on the muscles being worked by the exercise. An exercise working large leg muscles will usually require more rest than an exercise working a single group of arm muscles, as an example. So usually these sets will need a little more rest than high rep work and a little less rest than low rep work.

Low Rep/High Weight Sets - These are the sets that require the most rest for most people. You're looking at that 3-5 minute range and are really putting pressure on those fast twitch muscle fibers. These tax the nervous system, require a ton of mental focus, and work your muscles in a way that requires longer rest periods between sets. These sets generally call more support muscle groups into play too, simply because you're supporting more weight with your body. More rest here will result in more productive sets over time.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the program.

Thanks for posting,

Ryan
    trainingwithryan.substack.com

2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    When Bodyweight Isn't Enough - Three Easy Ways to Add Weight to Dips & Pullups

Most people start out doing dips and pullups on a machine that takes weight away from their body and gives them assistance. Once they've built enough strength, they move away from the machine and hit the dip bars and pullup bar to do reps with their bodyweight. Using your own bodyweight for dips and pullups is a great goal and you're stronger than average if you make it to that point. However, what comes next? Another level definitely exists!

The next level involves adding weight to your body so you can progress past your bodyweight. Since there is no machine that instantly adds weight to your body, I'm going to teach you three ways to do it.

1. The Dip Belt - This is the easiest method and it involves using a belt that wraps around your waist or hangs off of your hips. The belt has a chain connected to it and you thread that chain through weight plates or hang a dumbbell in the chain. Wearing the belt with weight attached to it adds weight to your body and you're ready to go!

This video illustrates the dip belt method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W6fGhJYT5Y

2. The Dumbbell Behind the Knee Method - You won't see many people doing this, but it works very well when you don't have access to a dip belt. Simply grab a dumbbell, make your way to your dip or pullup station, place the handle of the dumbbell against the back of your knee, and bend your leg. Your bent leg will hold the dumbbell in place surprisingly well and you'll have quickly added weight to your body. This method has a limitation, as you can't hold real heavy dumbbells and without a spotter you can only put a dumbbell behind one knee (unless you can float). Regardless, this method will get the job done for most people. I personally recommend switching off which leg is holding the dumbbell with every set to keep things balanced.

This picture illustrates how to hold the dumbbell, but doesn't show the person doing dips or pullups: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...cc381cdd9e.jpg

3. Stretching An Anchored Resistance Band - This will definitely be the most rarely seen method. The only person I've ever seen doing it in a gym is myself, to be honest. This method involves anchoring one end of a resistance band with a dumbbell and holding the other end behind your knee or knees like I described with the dumbbell method above. This provides varying resistance throughout each rep. Remember, the higher you lift your body, the more the band will stretch, and the more resistance you'll have to work against. This method is the most involved to set up, gives you the least amount of knowledge on how many pounds you're actually adding to your body, and should be chosen only if methods 1 and 2 above can't be done. Regardless, it does work.

Here is an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIR0SJCi5pw

Now, LEVEL UP with any of these three methods!

Did you learn something new?

TonyM78 is just really nice. (+1000) TonyM78 is just really nice. (+1000) TonyM78 is just really nice. (+1000) TonyM78 is just really nice. (+1000) TonyM78 is just really nice. (+1000) TonyM78 is just really nice. (+1000) TonyM78 is just really nice. (+1000) TonyM78 is just really nice. (+1000) TonyM78 is just really nice. (+1000) TonyM78 is just really nice. (+1000) TonyM78 is just really nice. (+1000)
    2020, I've been perusing your thread on and off for quite a while now and have been very interested in your program. I'm still working through the comments on the original thread so maybe you've already addressed this, but it's the biggest factor stopping me from doing GST over a P/P/L, U/L or similar routine with a 4 session per week progression. I'm reading that the most growth can be obtained by hitting each muscle twice per week. With one of these progressions I would still be hitting each muscle twice within any given 7-day period and still have three rest days. However, with your program it seems I would only be hitting each muscle once per week. I'm wondering if you can offer any insight on this particular point. Thanks in advance and keep up the great work you do!
    Last edited by TonyM78; 02-02-2022 at 11:28 PM.

Originally Posted by TonyM78 View Post
    2020, I've been perusing your thread on and off for quite a while now and have been very interested in your program. I'm still working through the comments on the original thread so maybe you've already addressed this, but it's the biggest factor stopping me from doing GST over a P/P/L, U/L or similar routine with a 4 session per week progression. I'm reading that the most growth can be obtained by hitting each muscle twice per week. With one of these progressions I would still be hitting each muscle twice within any given 7-day period and still have three rest days. However, with your program it seems I would only be hitting each muscle once per week. I'm wondering if you can offer any insight on this particular point. Thanks in advance and keep up the great work you do!
    Hey Tony,

Thanks for the questions.

When I design programs for people, I use the latest evolutions of GST programming, which I've talked about in this thread and maybe even in the first one. I can't remember what is all said in the first one. It's been 12 years I think!

It's great that you mention twice-weekly activation, as the latest programming promotes twice-weekly activation of main muscle groups. This is why you'll see some pulling work on Press Day and some press work on Pull Day. This is also why you'll see some posterior chain-focused work on Squat Day and anterior lower body-focused work on Lift Day.

The goal is to have each day focus on what it's always been meant to focus on, but also bring in a little opposing work to provide twice-weekly frequency, which isn't a bad thing at all. And just to mention it, both once-weekly and twice-weekly frequencies produce progress when progressive overload is the main underlying principle. Using both methods from time to time will keep things fresh and progressing.

Good question and thanks for posting,

Ryan

TonyM78 is just really nice. (+1000) TonyM78 is just really nice. (+1000) TonyM78 is just really nice. (+1000) TonyM78 is just really nice. (+1000) TonyM78 is just really nice. (+1000) TonyM78 is just really nice. (+1000) TonyM78 is just really nice. (+1000) TonyM78 is just really nice. (+1000) TonyM78 is just really nice. (+1000) TonyM78 is just really nice. (+1000) TonyM78 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thanks Ryan!

I did have another question. I'll be starting on the routine you sent me this week, after taking a week off so I can come into it fresh. During that week the only exercise I really did was VR boxing, which I suppose would most closely resemble shadow boxing. It really gets my heart rate up and my arms feel a little sore afterward, as well. Do you foresee any issues with continuing this on off days while doing your program?

Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Got this program 6 months ago. That said, bought a house, moved, COVID and finally got my rack set up in basement and started Macro 2 this week. Results from 1st month of dedicated lifting. Nothing crazy as kts been years and form was focused. Still happy with the progress
    Started at 215lbs and weighed in today at 200lbs
    Bench: 210 -> 215
    Squat: 285 -> 305
    Pull UP: 225 -> 240
    Overhead BB Press: 90 -> 110
    Conventional DL: 340 -> 350
    Really enjoying this program. Fits my schedule and workout at 430am fasted
    Bench and OHP still my weakness. Think it's more to form and confidence. Know I can push more.
    Last edited by Drufeus; 02-26-2022 at 11:58 AM.

I decided to mainly use Beat Saber on Oculus as my go-to cardio for the time being as it isn't as hard on the arms as boxing. Once my arm thing that I'm experiencing calms down I may throw in a little more VR boxing moving forward.

Anyway I made a workout journal for my GST program that Ryan designed:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=181125363

So I just started Microcycle #2 today. I'll be doing 4 days one week and 3 days the next then repeat as that works best with my schedule. I feel I should be getting enough rest with that set-up but I'll re-evaluate after a month or so.

My 1-rep maxes are in. This was the first time I actually calculated them.

Flat Bench = 158
    OHP = 115
    Lat Pulldown = 195
    Rack Pull = 320

I still haven't done Squats because the racks were being taken up at the gym last time so I had to just do my supplement exercises or I would have ran out of time. I'll be able to get a figure on those Friday.

Bench and OHP are both very sad right now and lower even than my previous working weights due partly because I miscalculated my calories too low and lost 15 lbs. in a month when I was trying to only lose about 5. Also I have a weird thing going on in my right arm so there's been this weakness with pressing movements. I'm hoping within a month or two it will work itself out.

I was happy about the Rack Pull 1RM just because this is the first time I've reached the 300+ lb. mark on anything. It's definitely a big morale booster. I'm excited about this program moving forward and just hoping my arm thing doesn't turn into yet another injury that stops me from progressing.

satishvhate is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    For more planking tutorials refer to video playlist

*************.us/7409151
    *************.us/74091583018888
    *************.us/74091583018921
    *************.us/74091583018936

Holding your body [ light as a feather]stiff as a board develops strength primarily in your core - the muscle that connects your upper body and lower body as well as your shoulders, arms,.

*************.us/7409151

Thanks Ryan!

I did have another question. I'll be starting on the routine you sent me this week, after taking a week off so I can come into it fresh. During that week the only exercise I really did was VR boxing, which I suppose would most closely resemble shadow boxing. It really gets my heart rate up and my arms feel a little sore afterward, as well. Do you foresee any issues with continuing this on off days while doing your program?
    Tony,

I don't see an issue here. You're not using resistance, which helps. You basically don't want to be doing things on your off days that would inhibit recovery from your GST sessions.

Shadow Boxing should be fine. The worst that can happen is you do it for awhile and realize it's too much. At that point, you could just drop a boxing session per week and assess again.

Good question!

Ryan

Holding your body [ light as a feather]stiff as a board develops strength primarily in your core - the muscle that connects your upper body and lower body as well as your shoulders, arms,.

*************.us/7409151

Originally Posted by Drufeus View Post
    Got this program 6 months ago. That said, bought a house, moved, COVID and finally got my rack set up in basement and started Macro 2 this week. Results from 1st month of dedicated lifting. Nothing crazy as kts been years and form was focused. Still happy with the progress
    Started at 215lbs and weighed in today at 200lbs
    Bench: 210 -> 215
    Squat: 285 -> 305
    Pull UP: 225 -> 240
    Overhead BB Press: 90 -> 110
    Conventional DL: 340 -> 350
    Really enjoying this program. Fits my schedule and workout at 430am fasted
    Bench and OHP still my weakness. Think it's more to form and confidence. Know I can push more.
    Hey Drufeus,

Glad to have you on GST!

One thing to remember, as it sounds like you were downplaying your 1RM progress a little, is that you lost 15lbs while making those strength gains. This means you're eating in a substantial calorie deficit. When eating in a calorie deficit, strength and muscle gains don't come as easy, so it's good to see you making strength gains, period.

Do you have a goal bodyweight or body composition? I personally think it's better to shoot for a goal composition.

Thanks for putting GST to good use and let me know if you have any questions down the road,

Ryan

Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by 2020Wellness View Post
    Hey Drufeus,

Glad to have you on GST!

One thing to remember, as it sounds like you were downplaying your 1RM progress a little, is that you lost 15lbs while making those strength gains. This means you're eating in a substantial calorie deficit. When eating in a calorie deficit, strength and muscle gains don't come as easy, so it's good to see you making strength gains, period.

Do you have a goal bodyweight or body composition? I personally think it's better to shoot for a goal composition.

Thanks for putting GST to good use and let me know if you have any questions down the road,

Ryan
    Thanks and I am happy with the increase with the weight loss. I feel healthiest at the 190-200 range, so basically on maintenance now weight wise. But if I gain the weight and maintain a body fat percentage under 20% then I'm in a very good place physically and mentally.

Originally Posted by Drufeus View Post
    Thanks and I am happy with the increase with the weight loss. I feel healthiest at the 190-200 range, so basically on maintenance now weight wise. But if I gain the weight and maintain a body fat percentage under 20% then I'm in a very good place physically and mentally.
    Hey Drufeus,

Just want to point out that you'll feel your best and be in better health around 12-15% BF as a male. As a female, that number would be up around 20%.

Keep up the hard work and let me know if any new questions pop up.

Ryan

Hey Drufeus,

Just want to point out that you'll feel your best and be in better health around 12-15% BF as a male. As a female, that number would be up around 20%.

Keep up the hard work and let me know if any new questions pop up.

Ryan
    My goal is to get to that range and I will definitely pop into this thread periodically to update. Need to get my current bf%. 12% would be great and know I can get too it. Just need to do it!

04akhriz40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 04akhriz40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 04akhriz40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 04akhriz40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 04akhriz40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 04akhriz40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 04akhriz40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 04akhriz40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 04akhriz40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 04akhriz40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 04akhriz40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hi 2020wellness, 1 quick question.

How much mass gains do beginners typically gain in 6 months or a year on your routine? (I've read that a guys 1st year with perfect eating/routine adds around 20lbs of muscle)

Ie, does these facts tally with your routine?

Thanks.

A few days ago I posted a short video of an exercise and asked if I was doing a neck curl or an ab crunch.

I was doing neck curls.

Honestly, the answers were about 50/50 between each option. My guess is that most people who saw the video hadn't even heard of a neck curl until that day.

Now, I wouldn't expect most females to care about building their neck muscles. A bigger and developed neck isn't something the average girl strives for, which is just fine. Because of this, this post is going to be more for the guys.

Guys, don't neglect your neck. I know you don't want the pencil neck look and forward neck curls (neck flexion) are great for ensuring you won't have one.

Neck curls are part of a group of exercises I call nerd-busters because they combat cubicle computer guy posture. Other nerd-busters include face pulls, shrugs, and rear flyes, if you were wondering.

These focus on the sternocleidomastoid muscles, which are responsible for the rotation of your neck and flexion of your neck. When developed, they add width from the front and depth from the side.

The easiest way to do these is to use a flat bench and a soft weight, like a medicine ball. Do what I do in the video and you'll feel it quickly. I am for three sets of higher reps, so 15+, and I'll work up to sets of 25 before moving up in weight.

Give them a shot. It took about a month of doing them before I noticed visual changes, so give it time as well.

Any questions?

Video link:

https://imgur.com/gallery/phcGn89

Originally Posted by 04akhriz40 View Post
    Hi 2020wellness, 1 quick question.

How much mass gains do beginners typically gain in 6 months or a year on your routine? (I've read that a guys 1st year with perfect eating/routine adds around 20lbs of muscle)

Ie, does these facts tally with your routine?

Thanks.
    Hey,

Of course, the answer varies based on eating and dedication to training, as well as effort and intensity while actually in the gym.

But yes, if you're adding 20lbs in an opening year, that's an excellent year. Of course, some of that will be fat, as that happens in a calorie surplus.

It's safe to say 15-20lbs of muscle in an opening year if you're eating for growth and dedicated to your gym program.

That's a good question, and many programs will deliver those types of results. You just need to choose one that has sound principles behind it and you actually enjoy using. Enjoying the programming is KEY.

04akhriz40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 04akhriz40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 04akhriz40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 04akhriz40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 04akhriz40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 04akhriz40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 04akhriz40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 04akhriz40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 04akhriz40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 04akhriz40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 04akhriz40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hey,

Of course, the answer varies based on eating and dedication to training, as well as effort and intensity while actually in the gym.

But yes, if you're adding 20lbs in an opening year, that's an excellent year. Of course, some of that will be fat, as that happens in a calorie surplus.

It's safe to say 15-20lbs of muscle in an opening year if you're eating for growth and dedicated to your gym program.

That's a good question, and many programs will deliver those types of results. You just need to choose one that has sound principles behind it and you actually enjoy using. Enjoying the programming is KEY.
    Thanks for responding

I'm just wondering on if this gst program even has the potential to gain 20lbs in 1 year. Have you seen any notable transformations over the years where they've done everything perfect in their 1st year? I've been lifting for a while and I know that a sucky routine will hinder gains, e.g, huge volume or wrong rep ranges etc. I just haven't got an eye for spotting these things in routines.

Also, why is your pdf protocol different to your 2010 post? I thought your pdf was a compiled/neater version.

Thanks.
    Last edited by 04akhriz40; 03-13-2022 at 08:07 PM.

Thanks for responding

I'm just wondering on if this gst program even has the potential to gain 20lbs in 1 year. Have you seen any notable transformations over the years where they've done everything perfect in their 1st year? I've been lifting for a while and I know that a sucky routine will hinder gains, e.g, huge volume or wrong rep ranges etc. I just haven't got an eye for spotting these things in routines.

Also, why is your pdf protocol different to your 2010 post? I thought your pdf was a compiled/neater version.

Thanks.
    Read Ryan's previous response to another question as far as gaining 20 lbs. Someone else asked basically the same thing. And I'm pretty sure he addressed that the pdf has evolved from the original 2010 post, so it isn't going to be the same. However I don't know what you mean about it not being a better compiled/neater version, because I would say it definitely is, and more concise. The GST program itself has also evolved since 2010, but I would say in a good way. When I ordered mine I was a little confused as the structure seemed slightly different than what was posted on this forum, but it's in a good way and it still has all the elements that make the program great. I've been on it for about a month and am loving it. I look forward to every workout.

Read Ryan's previous response to another question as far as gaining 20 lbs. Someone else asked basically the same thing. And I'm pretty sure he addressed that the pdf has evolved from the original 2010 post, so it isn't going to be the same. However I don't know what you mean about it not being a better compiled/neater version, because I would say it definitely is, and more concise. The GST program itself has also evolved since 2010, but I would say in a good way. When I ordered mine I was a little confused as the structure seemed slightly different than what was posted on this forum, but it's in a good way and it still has all the elements that make the program great. I've been on it for about a month and am loving it. I look forward to every workout.
    Can u quote/link that discussion? I can't find it.

You misread that part. I was just saying that I thought it was a compiled version of the 2010 post, which it isn't, it's slightly different. You mentioned that the pdf is an evolved version, which makes sense now.

Awesome! How long have u been training in general? Better than previous routines?

Thanks.

TigerZero is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Having Trouble, Im trying to convert the fierce 5 4 day intermeditate routine into this . Could someone help??

Originally Posted by TigerZero View Post
    Having Trouble, Im trying to convert the fierce 5 4 day intermeditate routine into this . Could someone help??
    I'm really not familiar with that program. But my guess would be to take the exercises you're using in that routine and place them in the GST template accordingly. Then use the GST principles and go to work!

Can u quote/link that discussion? I can't find it.

You misread that part. I was just saying that I thought it was a compiled version of the 2010 post, which it isn't, it's slightly different. You mentioned that the pdf is an evolved version, which makes sense now.

Awesome! How long have u been training in general? Better than previous routines?

Thanks.
    I get what you're saying. Yeah it is different than the original post but I think the book is a lot better.

I've been training on and off for a lot of years. My problem has been injuries slowing me down and just getting bored with routines or getting lazy. I've been hitting it consistently since this September though and making quite a bit of progress. I've only been on GST a month so far but I can already tell it's better than any routine I've done in the past. It's just a very well thought out program with periodization and deloading built in, so it pretty much accounts for everything. I think it will be a long time before I hit any plateaus, which used to be a constant thing for me. I'm already getting new PRs and just look forward to every workout.

Jez555 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jez555 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jez555 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jez555 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jez555 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jez555 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jez555 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jez555 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jez555 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jez555 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jez555 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Trying to plan a 3 day week covering all...

Hi Guys and gal's,

First post here- thank you Ryan for putting this out here, im wanting to jump on to GST finally, after followingthis thread for about 6m, with the caveat being I can only make it to the gym 3 x pw... I'm thinking how it may look when trying to get all Core lifts in one week done 🤔

can I get your opinion?

Workout 1: Press & Lift core Training (tues)
    Press Core Lift: Flat BB Press
    Lift Core,:  Conventional BB Deadlift,
    Press Supplement Lift 2: EZ Skull Crushers
    Press Supplement Lift 3: Upright Row

Workout 2: Squat & Pull Core Training (fri)
    Squat Core Lift: BB Back Squat
    Pull Core Lift: Chin Up
    Press Supplement Lift 4: OHP
    Squat Supplement Lift 2: Leg Extension
    Pull Supplement Lift 1: Unilateral Row

Workout 3: Supplementary Training (sun)
    Press Supplement Lift 1: Incline DB Press
    Squat Supplement Lift 1: Leg Press 
    Lift Supplement: RDL
    Pull Supplement Lift 2: One Arm DB Row
    Pull Supplement Lift 3: EZ Bar Curl

(+ the below, not sure where they fit yet, trial and error I guess)

Calf Exercise 1: Calf Press on Leg Press Machine
    Core Exercise 2: Hanging Leg Raise
    Calf Exercise 2: Smith Machine Calf Raise
    Core Exercise 1: Weighted DIP tuck

It's all Core on 2 days, as I feel a lighter day with zero AMRAP will be good, ues and fri I can do 1.5 hrs, but sun I can do 2 hrs

I feel I'm lacking in trap/back work maybe?, but I found deadlifts and rack pulls in the same week hard on my CNS before- although I maxed out on rackpulls 😂

Originally Posted by Jez555 View Post
    Hi Guys and gal's,

First post here- thank you Ryan for putting this out here, im wanting to jump on to GST finally, after followingthis thread for about 6m, with the caveat being I can only make it to the gym 3 x pw... I'm thinking how it may look when trying to get all Core lifts in one week done 🤔

can I get your opinion?

Workout 1: Press & Lift core Training (tues)
    Press Core Lift: Flat BB Press
    Lift Core,:  Conventional BB Deadlift,
    Press Supplement Lift 2: EZ Skull Crushers
    Press Supplement Lift 3: Upright Row

Workout 2: Squat & Pull Core Training (fri)
    Squat Core Lift: BB Back Squat
    Pull Core Lift: Chin Up
    Press Supplement Lift 4: OHP
    Squat Supplement Lift 2: Leg Extension
    Pull Supplement Lift 1: Unilateral Row

Workout 3: Supplementary Training (sun)
    Press Supplement Lift 1: Incline DB Press
    Squat Supplement Lift 1: Leg Press 
    Lift Supplement: RDL
    Pull Supplement Lift 2: One Arm DB Row
    Pull Supplement Lift 3: EZ Bar Curl

(+ the below, not sure where they fit yet, trial and error I guess)

Calf Exercise 1: Calf Press on Leg Press Machine
    Core Exercise 2: Hanging Leg Raise
    Calf Exercise 2: Smith Machine Calf Raise
    Core Exercise 1: Weighted DIP tuck

It's all Core on 2 days, as I feel a lighter day with zero AMRAP will be good, ues and fri I can do 1.5 hrs, but sun I can do 2 hrs

I feel I'm lacking in trap/back work maybe?, but I found deadlifts and rack pulls in the same week hard on my CNS before- although I maxed out on rackpulls 😂
    Thanks for hopping on the GST train!

With a three day split, I generally have people run a more traditional Push, Lower, Pull setup, which seems to work well. I do recommend a core lift on each day, as just one AMRAP set three times per week isn't going to be too hard on you. If you have a special circumstance where you feel it will be, let me know. But keep in mind it's just one set and it's just three times per week.

Since you have so much time (1.5-2 hours) per training day, I'm going to recommend running around 7 exercises per day.

Consider something like this;

Press Day

Press Core - Compound lift
    Press Supplement - Compound lift
    Pull Supplement - Compound lift
    Press Supplement - Tricep isolation
    Pull Supplement - Bicep isolation
    Press Supplement - Isolation lift
    Ab Supplement

Lower Day
    Squat or Lift Core - Compound Lift
    Lower Supplement - Quad-focused Compound
    Lower Supplement - Hip Hinge-focused Compound
    Lower Supplement - Quad Isolation
    Lower Supplement - Ham Isolation
    Lower Supplement - Calf Isolation
    Upper Back Supplement - Shrug generally

Pull Day

Pull Core - Compound lift
    Overhead Press Core - Compound lift
    Pull Supplement - Compound lift
    Press Supplement - Compound lift
    Pull Supplement - Bicep isolation
    Pull Supplement - Tricep isolation
    Ab Supplement

A setup like this will thoroughly hit your legs once per week and activate most upper body muscle groups twice per week. It's definitely different than what you laid out, but that's OK. It's what I'd recommend given your preferred frequency and the time you have per session.

Thanks for posting,

Ryan

Jez555 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jez555 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jez555 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jez555 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jez555 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jez555 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jez555 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jez555 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jez555 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jez555 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jez555 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Sounds good!

I was honest with myself, on why I wanted to keep it more like a 3 full body 3xpw thing, and it's because I didn't want to face more than 2 leg exercises in 1 sitting, so I will man up and give your style a crack!

Originally Posted by Jez555 View Post
    Sounds good!

I was honest with myself, on why I wanted to keep it more like a 3 full body 3xpw thing, and it's because I didn't want to face more than 2 leg exercises in 1 sitting, so I will man up and give your style a crack!
    Just use weights that are appropriate, don't go HAM right off the bat, and you'll be better off. It's much to common that someone will start training and go all out, only burn out shortly after.

Hey, what's up Ryan!

I had a couple of questions if you didn't mind.

1. To figure out your estimated 1 rep max for your next macrocycle are you taking the reps you got on week 4 at the given weight and using the estimated 1 rep max calculator to determine your e1rm for the next macrocycle?

2. For the rep scheme on your two supplement lifts can you just stick with the 8-10 rep scheme for the entire macrocycle instead of switching to 15-20 the following week?

3. What's your recommendation for finding a starting weight, to begin with for the two supplemental lifts?

I appreciate the time and insight.

To answer your questions:

1. I recommend taking the AMRAP set data from Micro 4 and plugging that weight and those reps into the 1RM calculator. That will give you a new estimated 1RM to use for the coming macrocycle.

Some people will do this for Micro 3's AMRAP sets, too, and take the average of the two estimates. I usually just use Micro 4's data, personally.

2. You could use just one set/rep scheme for your supplement lifts, but you'd be denying yourself the benefits of other schemes. The high, medium, and low rep schemes all have benefits and help you gain muscle and strength. One of reasons GST does work so well for people is the rotating set/rep schemes, so I wouldn't leave them out.

You could do something like medium, medium, low, high, repeat if you want to prioritize the medium scheme frequency. That keeps all ranges present, but has you running the medium most often.

3. Figuring supplement lift weights is just trial and error in the beginning week or two. You just have to test out different weights and adjust until they're challenging for the rep range for that week. That's really it. Once you have those figured, then start trying to increase in the following weeks.

In general, high rep weights are usually about 75% of medium rep weights and low rep weights are usually about 125% of medium rep weights. If you figure medium rep weights during the first week, then you can estimate the high and low rep weights to start with in coming weeks.

OK, that should answer your questions. Thanks for asking them,

Ryan

Page 102 of 105 FirstFirst ... 2 52 92 100 101 102 103 104 ... LastLast