Thread: Super Skinny!

WayTooSkinny1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Angry Super Skinny!

So, I’ve seen loads of these of people saying they can’t put on muscle after a week of training or whatever. I feel like I’m a bit more extreme.

I love going to the gym and have been going for over a year. Obviously gyms are closed at the moment and have been doing fairly light weight training regularly. I follow a push pull legs routine and have put in so much research on how to get bigger. Eat more lift heavy... but I just don’t seem to grow. I’ve certainly got a lot stronger but as for size I’m tiny. I have the body of a 9 year old boy but according to friends who are much bigger I am fairly strong.

Now I’m not strong compared to someone who is big don’t get me wrong. But I’ve been told I’m ‘strong for my size’. Well I don’t care about being strong anymore. I’ve lost that enjoyment I just want to get bigger.

I bench around 100kg max and 140 deadlift. I’ve not long turned 18 and all my maxes come from when I was 17 and before gyms closed. I weigh 57kg and am 5’10. In other words stupid skinny.

I’ve tried bulking before but put on no weight. I was eating around 4000 calories a day which is quite a lot for me. Any help?!
    Attached Images

safcpaul is just really nice. (+1000) safcpaul is just really nice. (+1000) safcpaul is just really nice. (+1000) safcpaul is just really nice. (+1000) safcpaul is just really nice. (+1000) safcpaul is just really nice. (+1000) safcpaul is just really nice. (+1000) safcpaul is just really nice. (+1000) safcpaul is just really nice. (+1000) safcpaul is just really nice. (+1000) safcpaul is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by WayTooSkinny1 View Post
    So, I’ve seen loads of these of people saying they can’t put on muscle after a week of training or whatever. I feel like I’m a bit more extreme.

I love going to the gym and have been going for over a year. Obviously gyms are closed at the moment and have been doing fairly light weight training regularly. I follow a push pull legs routine and have put in so much research on how to get bigger. Eat more lift heavy... but I just don’t seem to grow. I’ve certainly got a lot stronger but as for size I’m tiny. I have the body of a 9 year old boy but according to friends who are much bigger I am fairly strong.

Now I’m not strong compared to someone who is big don’t get me wrong. But I’ve been told I’m ‘strong for my size’. Well I don’t care about being strong anymore. I’ve lost that enjoyment I just want to get bigger.

I bench around 100kg max and 140 deadlift. I’ve not long turned 18 and all my maxes come from when I was 17 and before gyms closed. I weigh 57kg and am 5’10. In other words stupid skinny.

I’ve tried bulking before but put on no weight. I was eating around 4000 calories a day which is quite a lot for me. Any help?!
    You answered the question yourself. You are not as strong as people who are big. Eat in a surplus and keep getting stronger on your lifts and be patient

air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Being strong and getting bigger is pretty much the same thing at your stage. Stop doing a PPL, eat more until you start gaining weight, and do a proven novice program from the stickies or somewhere else.

And don't take being called "fairly strong" for someone with "the body of a 9 year old boy" as a compliment.

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    There's a lot of individual variation in metabolic rate. How active are you? Are you a "fidgiter", someone who can't stop bouncing around?

You say you are strong for your size, but is your strength growing? Are you still getting stronger? Most of the advice you will get here is kind of "one size fits all," but that's unavoidable with the type of information we have to go on. From your picture, I would say you do have a little bit of a base, you might want to add more volume. AND eat more.

What's your current programming like?

The good news is, if you just turned 18, things are still changing rapidly in your body. You may not see it now, but your body is adapting to whatever you throw at it. Train hard, you'll see results eventually.
    I'm out, standing in my field.

64 and still a newbie.

WayTooSkinny1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for some of the advice. I suppose I will just have to stick to it but just wondered if I was doing anything particularly wrong. Maybe I should try a different plan and certainly at the moment I should eat more. Just a quick one people don’t say I have to body of the 9 year old that’s just my perspective.
    Also yes, before quarantine I was definitely getting stronger. I sort of stopped my bench press at 70kg until I realised it had been stuck there for a while. I managed to get it to 100 in just a few weeks. I’m guessing that’s mainly down to technique since I mainly stuck to dumbbells at first.
    A lot of people say dumbbells are better for different reasons but I feel barbell works my chest more. Could be wrong there. I’m definitely not someone fidgets I’m quite the opposite.
    Another thing when researching, people bulk in different ways. Any advice on whether to so called dirty bulk or would you stick to proper meals?
    And you said about adding volume. I’ve sort of bounced between strength at low volume and low weights at high volume. Different people say different things. At the moment I go for strength on compound lifts and ad more volume with maybe a few flies at the end of a session.

My main problem I think is the amount of contradicting reasearch there is. Some people say train heavy some say train light. Some say dirty bulk some say clean bulk. I just get lost in it all which Is my fault for looking so deep into it. Also everyone’s body reacts differently. I’m just trying to work smarter and get bigger as quick as possible. I know results don’t come quick but I don’t want to waste time getting bigger.

DarthCholo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DarthCholo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DarthCholo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DarthCholo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DarthCholo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DarthCholo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DarthCholo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DarthCholo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DarthCholo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DarthCholo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DarthCholo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You're young and just started. This stuff takes years to show huge progress.

air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thanks for some of the advice. I suppose I will just have to stick to it but just wondered if I was doing anything particularly wrong. Maybe I should try a different plan and certainly at the moment I should eat more. Just a quick one people don’t say I have to body of the 9 year old that’s just my perspective.
    Also yes, before quarantine I was definitely getting stronger. I sort of stopped my bench press at 70kg until I realised it had been stuck there for a while. I managed to get it to 100 in just a few weeks. I’m guessing that’s mainly down to technique since I mainly stuck to dumbbells at first.
    A lot of people say dumbbells are better for different reasons but I feel barbell works my chest more. Could be wrong there. I’m definitely not someone fidgets I’m quite the opposite.
    Another thing when researching, people bulk in different ways. Any advice on whether to so called dirty bulk or would you stick to proper meals?
    And you said about adding volume. I’ve sort of bounced between strength at low volume and low weights at high volume. Different people say different things. At the moment I go for strength on compound lifts and ad more volume with maybe a few flies at the end of a session.

My main problem I think is the amount of contradicting reasearch there is. Some people say train heavy some say train light. Some say dirty bulk some say clean bulk. I just get lost in it all which Is my fault for looking so deep into it. Also everyone’s body reacts differently. I’m just trying to work smarter and get bigger as quick as possible. I know results don’t come quick but I don’t want to waste time getting bigger.
    Not everything has to be at extremes (strength at low volume v. low weights at high volume, clean bulk v. dirty bulk, train heavy v. light). You've only been training for a year which is why starting out with a PPL prob wasn't the best approach - most good novice routines tend to be less volume with fewer training days/week, geared towards consistent progression.

If you keep trying to figure out how to do it quicker you'll keep jumping from one approach to another (or end up doing it unnaturally). I suggest going with a novice program until you exhaust gains on that, then moving to an intermediate routine with more volume. The stickies have AllPro and Vikings if you feel something like Fierce 5 isn't enough volume for you.

Magomed1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Magomed1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Magomed1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Magomed1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Magomed1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Magomed1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Magomed1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Magomed1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Magomed1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Magomed1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Magomed1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    At 18 and active your metabolism is super fast. 4000 cals is clearly not enough. Just eat whatever, whenever and youll put mass on. No point is worrying about calories at this point.
    Training log
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178299511

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

Sounds to me like what you need is consistency. Find a program, follow it as written, and stick with it. When you overthink things, when you start following one idea, then another, you just end up short-circuiting yourself. Start from scratch: Pick one of the novice barbell programs and start at a weight that seems too low for you. Follow the progression laid out in the program. Stay on it for 6 months or so. Then evaluate your progress -- what worked, what didn't, what you enjoyed, what you didn't. Then you can start thinking about whether you want something more advanced. Or, if you're happy with what you're on, just continue. Don't overcomplicate it.

Even though building muscle is hard, it's still easy.
    I'm out, standing in my field.

64 and still a newbie.