Page 100 of 105 FirstFirst ... 50 90 98 99 100 101 102 ... LastLast
Results 2,971 to 3,000 of 3123
    2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The Recovery Deficit: It's Meaning and How To Avoid It

Question:
    So my big question is, what advice do you have for optimal recovery between workouts?

Answer:
    Well, the body can only take so much in terms of how much work it can do in a single workout and how often it can train hard throughout each week too. If you are training too intensely and/or too frequently, you will create a recovery deficit. This means that you never truly give your body enough time to recover and it continues to break down without fully healing, eventually resulting in reduced performance and injury.

There are people out there who train themselves into problems without even knowing it, or knowing it and just refusing to slow down for some internal reason (usually equating their own self-worth to how hard and how much they work).

Recovery deficits are real, but there are ways to avoid them!

Methods to prevent a recovery deficit include:

1. Getting enough sleep every night. Generally, 8ish hours of sleep is recommended and found to be healthy.

2. Also, making sure you are consuming adequate calories/protein/carbs/fats/vitamins/minerals/water. It's impossible to perform at your best when you aren't consuming enough energy and micronutrients to support your intended activities.

I always say, people rarely set PRs in a calorie deficit, and it's true.

3. And finally, choosing a training frequency that allows for recovery between sessions is very important. This is why you won't see me recommending people train intensely twice per day or even every day.

It's also why you won't see me programming maximal intensity work over and over. There needs to be some periodization in place, meaning some weeks are high intensity, some are low intensity, and some are at varying levels in between high and low.

Do you want to avoid decreased performance and injuries? Take these three points into mind when thinking about maximizing your recovery and performance by avoiding a recovery deficit!
    trainingwithryan.substack.com

andyat11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andyat11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andyat11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andyat11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andyat11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andyat11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andyat11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andyat11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andyat11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andyat11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andyat11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Been looking for a program like this for a long time. A month in and I can already see and increase in fullness as well as strength has been going up and you get a kick ass pump out of it. Would recommend.

2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by andyat11 View Post
    Been looking for a program like this for a long time. A month in and I can already see and increase in fullness as well as strength has been going up and you get a kick ass pump out of it. Would recommend.
    Thanks buddy. The pumps are the best during high rep supplement weeks too. If you get the 60% core lifts paired with the high rep supps, it's pump city!!!

tandpr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tandpr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tandpr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tandpr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tandpr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tandpr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tandpr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tandpr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tandpr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tandpr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tandpr is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hello Ryan and others,

Just wanted to say to anyone reading this thread and wondering if they should try GST..... in any case I can think of, the answer is yes. I ran this on the free trial type thing for a while, then purchased the proper help I needed from Ryan lol, and then ran it for some time after as well. It is an amazing program. Working with Ryan taught me so much about training, nutrition, and mental focus. I could go on and on. He taught me things I use in all these areas. Even though I am not running GST any longer, per se, I use what it, and he, taught me every day. I have been exponentially more successful in my training goals because of it. Give it a try, you will not regret it.

Remember me, Ryan? Been YEARS. You put a pic of me on your website once with "Next stop 200lbs" because that was my goal. Guess what? I still have never made it. I did however stop caring so much about what that silly number on that bathroom gadget says, and focus on how I look, feel, and fit in clothes. I am a small guy, I may never see 200lbs. I do however, feel amazing and after a good pump at the gym..... I may not be 200lbs but I feel H U G E ! lol

Keep doin what you do. May you have favor and blessings abounding.

Trent
    Last edited by tandpr; 08-06-2020 at 11:25 AM.

Originally Posted by tandpr View Post
    Hello Ryan and others,

Just wanted to say to anyone reading this thread and wondering if they should try GST..... in any case I can think of, the answer is yes. I ran this on the free trial type thing for a while, then purchased the proper help I needed from Ryan lol, and then ran it for some time after as well. It is an amazing program. Working with Ryan taught me so much about training, nutrition, and mental focus. I could go on and on. He taught me things I use in all these areas. Even though I am not running GST any longer, per se, I use what it, and he, taught me every day. I have been exponentially more successful in my training goals because of it. Give it a try, you will not regret it.

Remember me, Ryan? Been YEARS. You put a pic of me on your website once with "Next stop 200lbs" because that was my goal. Guess what? I still have never made it. I did however stop caring so much about what that silly number on that bathroom gadget says, and focus on how I look, feel, and fit in clothes. I am a small guy, I may never see 200lbs. I do however, feel amazing and after a good pump at the gym..... I may not be 200lbs but I feel H U G E ! lol

Keep doin what you do. May you have favor and blessings abounding.

Trent
    Hey Trent!

I definitely remember you, of course. The nice thing about me being active in here for so long and also actually speaking with all of the GST users is that I do remember them, you included.

Thanks a ton for stopping in and giving a testimonial to GST. It's hard to believe it's been a decade of helping people through the program and this site.

It sounds like you've gained some knowledge on what matters to you the most right now in your life and that is to look great, feel good, and not chase a scale number. There is a time and place for chasing a scale number and I've done plenty of it myself. Once you get to a point where you feel content, the importance of the number dwindles. It sounds like you've reached that place and I'm happy to have been a part of you getting there.

Thanks again for posting up in here, I really appreciate it!

Twice Week VS Once Weekly Training Frequency - Both Are Effective

There are really two ways to go about getting multiple exercises in per week per body part:

1. Hit all exercises in the same session.

2. Spread the exercises out over multiple sessions.

They both work well and I advise using both over time.

The thought behind the second method is that it keeps your muscles more fresh per exercise. You won't be fatigued during the second exercise of the week because you'll have done the first days ago. This means more energy and strength per exercise and more volume as a result. This is obviously a great thing and a very useful and logical way to lay out a training program.

The thought behind the first method is that you are further exhausting each muscle group because you are hitting it hard during the first exercise and exhausting many muscle fibers. But then you're hitting it again, right away, calling more fibers to action and exhausting those with the second exercise as well. So while you may have less total volume due to the second exercise being done with pre-exhausted muscles, the thought is that you're calling more fibers to action and therefore exhausting more fibers for more complete trauma per workout.

On top of that, with the first method, you get an increased pump due to more reps per workout per muscle group. Many say that this means increased nutrient flow due to increased blood flow overall.

Overall, there are benefits to each method, so both should be used over time.

Which do you prefer?

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by 2020Wellness View Post
    Twice Week VS Once Weekly Training Frequency - Both Are Effective

Which do you prefer?
    Science says for less experienced lifters that more than once a week is better.

It makes sense. Unless you are using "chemical assistance" your body simply will NOT need 7 days to get optimum growth. Those muscles will actually sit idle for several days, "waiting" for their next growth-prompting session. So, 2 sessions will stimulate growth twice in that week, instead of just once.

Again, without "chemical assistance", your blow-it-up workout will reach a point where doing 'more' in s single workout has rapidly diminishing returns.

1stCoachJoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1stCoachJoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1stCoachJoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1stCoachJoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1stCoachJoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1stCoachJoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1stCoachJoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1stCoachJoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1stCoachJoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1stCoachJoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1stCoachJoe will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The Recovery Deficit: It's Meaning and How To Avoid It

Question:
    So my big question is, what advice do you have for optimal recovery between workouts?

Answer:
    Well, the body can only take so much in terms of how much work it can do in a single workout and how often it can train hard throughout each week too. If you are training too intensely and/or too frequently, you will create a recovery deficit. This means that you never truly give your body enough time to recover and it continues to break down without fully healing, eventually resulting in reduced performance and injury.

There are people out there who train themselves into problems without even knowing it, or knowing it and just refusing to slow down for some internal reason (usually equating their own self-worth to how hard and how much they work).

Recovery deficits are real, but there are ways to avoid them!

Methods to prevent a recovery deficit include:

1. Getting enough sleep every night. Generally, 8ish hours of sleep is recommended and found to be healthy.

2. Also, making sure you are consuming adequate calories/protein/carbs/fats/vitamins/minerals/water. It's impossible to perform at your best when you aren't consuming enough energy and micronutrients to support your intended activities.

I always say, people rarely set PRs in a calorie deficit, and it's true.

3. And finally, choosing a training frequency that allows for recovery between sessions is very important. This is why you won't see me recommending people train intensely twice per day or even every day.

It's also why you won't see me programming maximal intensity work over and over. There needs to be some periodization in place, meaning some weeks are high intensity, some are low intensity, and some are at varying levels in between high and low.

Do you want to avoid decreased performance and injuries? Take these three points into mind when thinking about maximizing your recovery and performance by avoiding a recovery deficit!
    Good advice, 2020... What are your thoughts on rest between sets for maximum hypertrophy?
    Without proper diets and effective meal plans dialed in, you might well be spitting in the wind.

Originally Posted by 1stCoachJoe View Post
    Good advice, 2020... What are your thoughts on rest between sets for maximum hypertrophy?
    Hey Joe,

To me, rest periods are all about finding the happy medium between resting long enough to recover and maximize each set's performance and making sure you're in the gym for a total amount of time that fits your personal schedule.

My ideal and most common rest periods fall in the 3-5 minute range. No working sets I do are easy unless I'm deloading, so intensity is always going to be high. This means I need a solid amount of recovery time.

3-5 minutes allows me to sit down, stretch, and catch my breath before each new set. I feel good going into each set, but I'm also not resting so long that my training sessions are taking 2-3 hours either.

I'll hit the 5 minute end of the spectrum between sets where my working weights are closer to my 1RMs and I'll fall closer to the 3 minute end of the spectrum when I'm doing work that is relatively lighter compared to my 1RMs.

How about you?

1stCoachJoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1stCoachJoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1stCoachJoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1stCoachJoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1stCoachJoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1stCoachJoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1stCoachJoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1stCoachJoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1stCoachJoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1stCoachJoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1stCoachJoe will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey Joe,

To me, rest periods are all about finding the happy medium between resting long enough to recover and maximize each set's performance and making sure you're in the gym for a total amount of time that fits your personal schedule.

My ideal and most common rest periods fall in the 3-5 minute range. No working sets I do are easy unless I'm deloading, so intensity is always going to be high. This means I need a solid amount of recovery time.

3-5 minutes allows me to sit down, stretch, and catch my breath before each new set. I feel good going into each set, but I'm also not resting so long that my training sessions are taking 2-3 hours either.

I'll hit the 5 minute end of the spectrum between sets where my working weights are closer to my 1RMs and I'll fall closer to the 3 minute end of the spectrum when I'm doing work that is relatively lighter compared to my 1RMs.

How about you?
    Thanks for the great response, 2020.

I am in full agreement!

----

In fact, I just started a new thread discussing not only rest but the speed at which one performs reps and total volume for optimal hypertrophy etc.

I sure would love for you to weigh in on it. I'm very much open to the experience and opinions of others whom I respect.

----

I just transitioned to a bulk phase recently and all of the above has been on my mind.

----

Thanks again for the great response and I hope to see your thoughts and opinions on the above-mentioned thread.

-Coach Joe
    Without proper diets and effective meal plans dialed in, you might well be spitting in the wind.

Apply this to nutrition, training, or anything you're working for in life:

There is a great feeling associated with knowing that you're choosing to do something to bring yourself closer to your goal versus making the choice to move farther away from your goal.

This great feeling is enough for me to make the calls that help me.

MattRN will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattRN will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattRN will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattRN will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattRN will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattRN will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattRN will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattRN will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattRN will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattRN will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattRN will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey Ryan, you gave me this workout years ago and I was hoping to get back into it again. But this time, I only have time to lift consistently 2-3 times a week. Is there any way you can help me condense it to that? I also do Jiu Jitsu at least twice a week.

Press Day Lifts
    Core: Decline or Flat BB Press
    Supplement 1: Incline BB or DB Press
    Supplement 2: Dips
    Supplement 3: Flat Skullcrusher
    Supplement 4: Chest Fly of Choice (Cable, Pec Deck, or DB)
    Direct Ab Work: Kneeling Cable Crunch

Squat Day Lifts
    Core: BB Front Squat
    Supplement 1: BB or DB Walking Lunges
    Weak Point Training: Tricep Pressdown w/ Rope
    Supplement 2: BB Back Squat
    Supplement 3: Standing Calf Raise
    Direct Ab Work: Hanging Leg Raise

Pull Day Lifts
    Core: Pullup or Pullup Grip Lat Pulldown if necessary
    Core 2: Standing Overhead BB Press
    Supplement 1: Bent BB Row (Seated Cable Row or T Bar Rows are optional too)
    Weak Point Training: Incline BB or DB Press
    Supplement 2: Flat Bench DB Pendlay Rows
    Supplement 3: Standing DB Hammer Curls

Lift Day Lifts
    Core: Conventional Deadlift
    Supplement 1: BB Shrugs
    Weak Point Training: EZ or Straight Bar Preacher Curls
    Supplement 2: Romanian Deadlifts (Good mornings are an option here too.)
    Supplement 3: Leg Curl Variation
    Direct Ab Work: Decline Situp

Please and thank you, sir!

Originally Posted by MattRN View Post
    Hey Ryan, you gave me this workout years ago and I was hoping to get back into it again. But this time, I only have time to lift consistently 2-3 times a week. Is there any way you can help me condense it to that? I also do Jiu Jitsu at least twice a week.

Press Day Lifts
    Core: Decline or Flat BB Press
    Supplement 1: Incline BB or DB Press
    Supplement 2: Dips
    Supplement 3: Flat Skullcrusher
    Supplement 4: Chest Fly of Choice (Cable, Pec Deck, or DB)
    Direct Ab Work: Kneeling Cable Crunch

Squat Day Lifts
    Core: BB Front Squat
    Supplement 1: BB or DB Walking Lunges
    Weak Point Training: Tricep Pressdown w/ Rope
    Supplement 2: BB Back Squat
    Supplement 3: Standing Calf Raise
    Direct Ab Work: Hanging Leg Raise

Pull Day Lifts
    Core: Pullup or Pullup Grip Lat Pulldown if necessary
    Core 2: Standing Overhead BB Press
    Supplement 1: Bent BB Row (Seated Cable Row or T Bar Rows are optional too)
    Weak Point Training: Incline BB or DB Press
    Supplement 2: Flat Bench DB Pendlay Rows
    Supplement 3: Standing DB Hammer Curls

Lift Day Lifts
    Core: Conventional Deadlift
    Supplement 1: BB Shrugs
    Weak Point Training: EZ or Straight Bar Preacher Curls
    Supplement 2: Romanian Deadlifts (Good mornings are an option here too.)
    Supplement 3: Leg Curl Variation
    Direct Ab Work: Decline Situp

Please and thank you, sir!
    Hey Matt,

Thanks for popping in and firing up GST again.

What I do in a situation like you have is combine training sessions, but you have to remove some supplement lifts in the process to avoid 3 hour sessions.

I'll usually combine Press and Lift and then Pull and Squat. I keep all the cores and then just pick 2-3 supplements from each of the combined days and keep them around, while removing the others. This'll give you a longer session than traditional programming, but it's also just twice per week so you have to compromise a little.

Also, it's tough to adequately implement weak point training, so I would not worry about that. Again, it's just part of going to the gym less often and you have to compromise.

Using these concepts should give you a good jump on combining your training days. Let me know what you put together.

andyat11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andyat11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andyat11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andyat11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andyat11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andyat11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andyat11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andyat11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andyat11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andyat11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andyat11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I am wondering is there anyway to incorporate my program with squatober. Very interested in doing squatober this year, but want to continue doing my program as much as possible. Should I skip all the leg days in my program or sub out the main lifts?

I am wondering is there anyway to incorporate my program with squatober. Very interested in doing squatober this year, but want to continue doing my program as much as possible. Should I skip all the leg days in my program or sub out the main lifts?
    I honestly have no idea what Squatober is.......... I'm guessing it something like squatting every day?

I honestly have no idea what Squatober is.......... I'm guessing it something like squatting every day?
    Yah it's hosted on instagram (quick search for squatober will easily find it), but essentially all of October is squatting based on your 1rm (minus weekends this year). They post the workout the night before and you just follow their mixed up routine.

Yah it's hosted on instagram (quick search for squatober will easily find it), but essentially all of October is squatting based on your 1rm (minus weekends this year). They post the workout the night before and you just follow their mixed up routine.
    Ya, I'd probably just leave out Squat day in that case. There really isn't a point to do a dedicated Squat day if you're already doing squats every day of the month.

Keep it simple.

It's your first exercise of your training session and the plan is to use a weight during your working sets that is challenging for 4 sets of 5 reps.

How many warm-up sets are you doing?

Originally Posted by boutyhous View Post
    If there’s one exercise we all love to hate and hate to love it is planking, see some videos on planking down below to know how you can do it the correct way. If anyone interested DM !
    I think I will think about adding your constructive program to my routine!!!!
    I can agree, I hate planks too.

lessgravity will become famous soon enough. (+50) lessgravity will become famous soon enough. (+50) lessgravity will become famous soon enough. (+50) lessgravity will become famous soon enough. (+50) lessgravity will become famous soon enough. (+50) lessgravity will become famous soon enough. (+50) lessgravity will become famous soon enough. (+50) lessgravity will become famous soon enough. (+50) lessgravity will become famous soon enough. (+50) lessgravity will become famous soon enough. (+50) lessgravity will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have a fractured disc fragment in my back. Been lifting on and off for years (I'm 43) so I have a leg day that I am pretty happy with but I was wondering if anyone has input, experience or advise for leg growth where back loads (any hinge/BB squat) of heavy weight are out of the picture.

BTW I'm a long time GST fan and adherent. I am finally going to get back into a regular GST routine after spending a year or so recovering from this injury.

Thank you!

lessgravity will become famous soon enough. (+50) lessgravity will become famous soon enough. (+50) lessgravity will become famous soon enough. (+50) lessgravity will become famous soon enough. (+50) lessgravity will become famous soon enough. (+50) lessgravity will become famous soon enough. (+50) lessgravity will become famous soon enough. (+50) lessgravity will become famous soon enough. (+50) lessgravity will become famous soon enough. (+50) lessgravity will become famous soon enough. (+50) lessgravity will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thoughts on this routine?

I can't do hinge movements or spine loaded move bc of a fractured disc in my back. The first exercise in each day is the core lift. Appreciate the feedback!

PRESS
    DB bench
    Close grip pulls
    Dips
    DB mpress
    BB Incline Bench
    Cable pushdown
    DB front raise

PULL
    Weighted Pullups
    BB mpress
    Seated row
    DB inclines
    BB curls
    BB closegrip press
    DB lateral raise
    Rev Fly

SQUAT
    Leg press
    Bulg Squat
    Leg Curls
    Leg Ext
    Pistol Squats
    DB shrug
    Cable crunch
    Leg raises

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
    I have a fractured disc fragment in my back. Been lifting on and off for years (I'm 43) so I have a leg day that I am pretty happy with but I was wondering if anyone has input, experience or advise for leg growth where back loads (any hinge/BB squat) of heavy weight are out of the picture.

BTW I'm a long time GST fan and adherent. I am finally going to get back into a regular GST routine after spending a year or so recovering from this injury.

Thank you!
    Hey Gravity,

Your back issue is not that uncommon, especially among guys past their 30s. Hell, even those who never slowed down and always lifted heavy in their 20s are feeling the consequences in their 30s......

I would suggest that you actually stay away from back squats, low bar squats, deadlifts, and good mornings. Instead, let lunge variations, possibly front squats (less forward torso tilt), split squats, leg press variations, hack squats, hip thrusts, leg curls, and leg extensions make up your leg work.

You can easily grow your legs with this type of work. The only thing that suffers compared to being able to hit normal squats and deadlifts will be glute development. This sucks, but if you make sure to get a full ROM and big steps with your lunges and split squats, the glutes will be activated. Also, if you make sure to not slack on hip thrust variations, glutes will clearly be activated there.

In essence, you're working all of the lower body muscle groups involved in deadlifting and back squatting without actually deadlifting or back squatting.

I'll be glad to hear what you have to say about what I've said above. Let me know.

Hey Gravity,

Your back issue is not that uncommon, especially among guys past their 30s. Hell, even those who never slowed down and always lifted heavy in their 20s are feeling the consequences in their 30s......

I would suggest that you actually stay away from back squats, low bar squats, deadlifts, and good mornings. Instead, let lunge variations, possibly front squats (less forward torso tilt), split squats, leg press variations, hack squats, hip thrusts, leg curls, and leg extensions make up your leg work.

You can easily grow your legs with this type of work. The only thing that suffers compared to being able to hit normal squats and deadlifts will be glute development. This sucks, but if you make sure to get a full ROM and big steps with your lunges and split squats, the glutes will be activated. Also, if you make sure to not slack on hip thrust variations, glutes will clearly be activated there.

In essence, you're working all of the lower body muscle groups involved in deadlifting and back squatting without actually deadlifting or back squatting.

I'll be glad to hear what you have to say about what I've said above. Let me know.
    Awesome advice, as expected. How does it tie into my routine? Love to hear your feedback =

PRESS
    DB bench
    Close grip pulls
    Dips
    DB mpress
    BB Incline Bench
    Cable pushdown
    DB front raise

PULL
    Weighted Pullups
    BB mpress
    Seated row
    DB inclines
    BB curls
    BB closegrip press
    DB lateral raise
    Rev Fly

SQUAT
    Leg press
    Bulg Squat
    Leg Curls
    Leg Ext
    Pistol Squats
    DB shrug
    Cable crunch
    Leg raises

Awesome advice, as expected. How does it tie into my routine? Love to hear your feedback =

PRESS
    DB bench
    Close grip pulls
    Dips
    DB mpress
    BB Incline Bench
    Cable pushdown
    DB front raise

PULL
    Weighted Pullups
    BB mpress
    Seated row
    DB inclines
    BB curls
    BB closegrip press
    DB lateral raise
    Rev Fly

SQUAT
    Leg press
    Bulg Squat
    Leg Curls
    Leg Ext
    Pistol Squats
    DB shrug
    Cable crunch
    Leg raises
    Gravity,

I would say my advice ties into your routine very nicely. You seem to have listened to it well on your lower day.

The only thing that stands out is a lack of a glute isolation. While most guys aren't worried about hitting hip thrusts, cutting out traditional squats and deadlifts does tend to decrease glute hypertrophy and strength. So even if it's just something like a single legged hip thrust or a banded hip thrust, something to isolate the glutes wouldn't be a bad idea. T

hat one is up to you, but it's the only thing that I felt the need to mention. Everything else on that lower day looks good to me.

Gravity,

I would say my advice ties into your routine very nicely. You seem to have listened to it well on your lower day.

The only thing that stands out is a lack of a glute isolation. While most guys aren't worried about hitting hip thrusts, cutting out traditional squats and deadlifts does tend to decrease glute hypertrophy and strength. So even if it's just something like a single legged hip thrust or a banded hip thrust, something to isolate the glutes wouldn't be a bad idea. T

hat one is up to you, but it's the only thing that I felt the need to mention. Everything else on that lower day looks good to me.
    Thank you!

My one question is about mixing in one or two pull moves on Push Day (and vice versa). Do you still recommend this? I've included it above as you can see, not sure what your views on this are. I think it's something that you added in later GST versions.

jimmyk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jimmyk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jimmyk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jimmyk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jimmyk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jimmyk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jimmyk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jimmyk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jimmyk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jimmyk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jimmyk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Coach! Long time GST follower, purchased the ebook many moons ago and love the overall concept of GST, especially the moderating of the loads on core lifts while still keeping intensity up. Big fan!

Anyways, quick question that you may or may not have addressed in the many pages of your threads. It has to do with supplemental lifts. Do you find a benefit in slowing down the tempo and focusing on mind muscle connection or do you strictly shoot for progressive overload. For example, I can do 2 sets of 15 with a faster tempo or the same weight and reps but take 4-5 seconds lowering it and really squeezing it at the top and it can feel much more challenging. The former is easier to increase weight over time but the latter "feels" like it's working the intended muscle harder but might be slower to progressively overload. Do you think there is a benefit in using that slow mind muscle connection approach or is increasing the load the most important thing?

Sorry if this has been addressed. It's something of been thinking about a lot lately and would love some feedback from someone knowledgeable that I respect. Thanks man! PS I believe you used to train out of and possibly own an Anytime? Is that still the case? Anyways, cheers man!

Thank you!

My one question is about mixing in one or two pull moves on Push Day (and vice versa). Do you still recommend this? I've included it above as you can see, not sure what your views on this are. I think it's something that you added in later GST versions.
    Hey, you're totally good to go with that variation. I use the same thing.

Sorry for the late response. I've been busy for a few days with the loss of a grandparent, so it's just one of those things where I'm slow to get back.

Originally Posted by jimmyk21 View Post
    Coach! Long time GST follower, purchased the ebook many moons ago and love the overall concept of GST, especially the moderating of the loads on core lifts while still keeping intensity up. Big fan!

Anyways, quick question that you may or may not have addressed in the many pages of your threads. It has to do with supplemental lifts. Do you find a benefit in slowing down the tempo and focusing on mind muscle connection or do you strictly shoot for progressive overload. For example, I can do 2 sets of 15 with a faster tempo or the same weight and reps but take 4-5 seconds lowering it and really squeezing it at the top and it can feel much more challenging. The former is easier to increase weight over time but the latter "feels" like it's working the intended muscle harder but might be slower to progressively overload. Do you think there is a benefit in using that slow mind muscle connection approach or is increasing the load the most important thing?

Sorry if this has been addressed. It's something of been thinking about a lot lately and would love some feedback from someone knowledgeable that I respect. Thanks man! PS I believe you used to train out of and possibly own an Anytime? Is that still the case? Anyways, cheers man!
    Hey Jimmy!

I know there are a ton of articles on rep speed and you're right, you can definitely pump out more volume if you lift with a faster tempo versus a slower one.

I'm honestly not super well versed in the effects of very slow reps versus normally paced reps, so I'm not going to tell you one is superior to the other. I personally feel that super slow reps are more of a novelty and something you'd only use for a certain period of time. Whereas normally paced reps are the most natural and where you'll see most people (including top athletes and pro bodybuilders) training.

To me, a normally paced rep consists of roughly a 1 second negative, no pause at the bottom, and then an positive done in a 'controlled explosive' manner. And by controlled explosive, I mean you're trying to push the weight hard, but you are controlled enough to maintain proper form.

A one second negative is slow enough to be in control and not have bounce at the bottom of a rep and a controlled explosion following that negative is good to allow for proper form and plenty of volume overall.

About the Anytime, I did work and train there, but I don't do that anymore. Right now I'm still working with clients online and also train a group of local high school guys out of my own gym. They're a great demographic to work with!

jimmyk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jimmyk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jimmyk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jimmyk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jimmyk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jimmyk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jimmyk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jimmyk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jimmyk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jimmyk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jimmyk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Awesome! One more quick question for you and sorry if this has been addressed but just curious on if you go to failure on supplemental lifts or do you leave one or two in the tank?

Originally Posted by jimmyk21 View Post
    Awesome! One more quick question for you and sorry if this has been addressed but just curious on if you go to failure on supplemental lifts or do you leave one or two in the tank?
    I prefer to not hit failure on a regular basis. The negatives outweigh the positives when it comes to hitting failure on a set versus leaving one or two reps in the tank. You can hit failure from time to time, but it should not be a goal to strive for as part of every set.

If you hit failure 1-2 times per training day, that's fine. If you hit it 1-2 times per exercise, that's not fine.