Page 50 of 105 FirstFirst ... 40 48 49 50 51 52 60 100 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,500 of 3124
    2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Article

Failure is Not an Option, Failure is a Necessity
    By Ryan Miller; B.S. Biochemistry, Author/Creator of Growth Stimulus Training

Failure Is Not An Option

When it comes to the relationship between failure and success, a famous saying comes to mind; “If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again.” There is great reasoning behind this statement! In order to see the reasoning, I want to dissect the statement and show you how relative it is to everyone who has ever walked the earth. The author of this statement is assuming that you will fail or are already failing in your quest to whatever it is you are trying to achieve. This author is encouraging you to keep trying, even though you aren’t successful…yet.

Nobody will go through life without failing unless they perform perfectly in everything they set out to do. Like I said, nobody will go through life without failing. Here’s the thing about failing; it should tell you something about yourself! You can’t fail if you haven’t tried. If you’ve tried, then you have a goal and you are making an effort to achieve that goal. Of course, there will be challenges along the way, which you must be prepared to deal with.

Failure is the first beginning of your next challenge to overcome. Failure is the result of that first push to try something you have never done before. Failure sets your sights on a target and shows that you are forcing true progression. Progression, my friend, is what the change and results are built on!

Prime Example Number One

I want you to meet my first subject, Max. Max has been hitting the weights for one year. He has seen great strength gains, which primarily took place within the first 6 months of his training. But now Max’s newbie gains are wearing off and his strength increases are few and far between. He has hit the dreaded wall and has no idea why he is no longer getting stronger. Max is doing now what he did in the beginning, 3 sets of 12 reps with a weight that pushes him, but allows him to get his 12 reps for each and every set. Max knows that if he’s not reaching his 12 goal reps during each set, he’s failing. In Max’s eyes, this isn’t acceptable…but in reality, it should be.

Max knows that in order to get that third set of 12, he has to save some energy during sets 1 and 2. He is stuck in the mindset that he has to use the same weight amount for all sets as well. This is the wrong mindset for making any kind of progress. Max really needs to increase the weight of the first, second, and third sets to see gains. But what if he fails on his first set and only gets 8 reps? I’d still want him to use that same weight for his second set. What if he fails on his second set and puts up 6 reps? I’d tell Max to stick with the same weight and complete a final set of 3-6 reps.

In the example, Max failed three for three when it came to hitting 12 reps per set, but in the long haul, he has taken a step toward achieving his size and strength goals and being successful. Within just a few weeks, Max will find himself completing 12 reps with increased weight. If he dropped back down to his previous sticking point, he would laugh at that weight and vow to never return to it again!

Max’s story is unbelievably common, and is a prime example of why failing is necessary for forward movement and success in the gym.

Prime Example Number Two

Max’s wife, Maxine, has been hitting the gym for a year as well. In fact, they train together and strive to be the epitome of a healthy couple. Like most women, Maxine tends to stick to cardio for her workouts, which is a huge mistake, but I’m not getting into that right now. Right now I am focusing on Maxine’s cardio efforts.

Just like Max, she had a great initial six months. She was dropping fat, increasing her stamina, and was feeling like a teenager again. But eventually, the same old routine turned into the same old bodyweight. Her repetitive routine lost it’s challenge, Maxine hit the wall, and her results stalled. She was puzzled because she was finishing her routine every single time, without fail. What was she doing wrong?
    I want you to ask yourself, when is the last time you couldn’t finish one of your cardio workouts because it was just too hard? If you can’t remember the last time a routine really beat you down, causing you to step off and fail, you are probably relating to Maxine right about now.

Maxine hasn’t been failing, and that’s her problem. She completes her regular routine, but doesn’t increase it’s difficulty on a regular basis. If she doesn’t increase her difficulty and fail to complete a session from time to time, she will always be selling herself short, which is what too many people do in the gym. She needs to bump that resistance or that incline up a couple notches and see what happens. She needs to monitor her heart rate and make sure she is truly pushing herself. The bottom line is Maxine needs to work harder, fail in the process, and ‘try, try again’ to continue on her path to success.

Final Words

There has been an important lesson learned here; if you want to succeed, you need to fail. Once you fail, you need to ‘try, try again.’ Finding your limits and then working to crush them is important! Failure will set that limit and you will crush it through continuous attempts at success. Here’s something you never thought you’d here as a motivational quote: “Go out there and fail!”

Thank you for reading!

Ryan Miller
    trainingwithryan.substack.com

Trepkos01 is just really nice. (+1000) Trepkos01 is just really nice. (+1000) Trepkos01 is just really nice. (+1000) Trepkos01 is just really nice. (+1000) Trepkos01 is just really nice. (+1000) Trepkos01 is just really nice. (+1000) Trepkos01 is just really nice. (+1000) Trepkos01 is just really nice. (+1000) Trepkos01 is just really nice. (+1000) Trepkos01 is just really nice. (+1000) Trepkos01 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Current Weight: 213lbs(In the morning)

Calorie Intake: ~3500 calories - Intermittent Fasting(16 Hour Fast|8 Hour Feed)

Cardio: 3-4x Week - Either HIIT Treadmill or 3 Mile Run - Swimming almost daily.

Day 1: Press Day
    Day 2: Squat Day
    Day 3: Rest Day/Stretch/Body Complex
    Day 4: Pull Day
    Day 5: Rest Day/Stretch/Body Complex
    Day 6: Lift Day
    Day 7: Rest Day

I'll be using the 60-70-80-90% of 1RM for the core exercises.

Press Day
    Core: Flat BB Press
    Supplement 1: Incline Dumbbell Bench Press
    Supplement 2: Standing Military Press
    Supplement 3: Plate-Loaded Hammer Strength Press
    Supplement 4: EZ Bar Skullcrusher
    Ab Exercise(Decline Crunches)

Squat Day(REHAB)
    3-4 Pyramid Bodyweight Squats(If possible)
    3-4 Bodyweight Lunges(If possible without pain)
    Machine Leg Press(4 sets of 20)
    Leg Extension Machine(4 dropsets 8-10-12-15-20)
    Standing Calve Raises(Use supplement scheme)

Pull Day
    Core: Bent-Over Barbell Rows
    Supplement 1: Wide Grip Pullups
    Supplement 2: Close-Grip Seated Rows
    Supplement 3: Standing Barbell Curls
    Weak Point Training: Decline BB Bench Press
    Ab Exercise(Lying Reverse Crunches)

Lift Day
    Core: Conventional Deadlift
    Supplement 1: DB Shrugs
    Supplement 2: Leg Curls
    Weak Point Training: Seated Dumbbell Curls
    Weak Point Training: Seated Dumbbell Tricep Extensions
    Ab Exercise(Oblique Side-Leans)
    Last edited by Trepkos01; 06-26-2014 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Revised the workout.
    I train myself physically, mentally, and spiritually; so that when life pushes with the hand of fate placed against my chest, I can push back ten times harder.

2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Mini-Article

If you can run, you can HIIT!

For a very simple and effective leg growth, full body strength, and fat burning training session, read on.

Go outside and sprint:

Sprint 10-20 seconds
    Walk 2-3 minutes
    Repeat 5-6 times

When you sprint, it must be full speed.

When you walk, it must be at a recovery pace. You need to use the walking to get rested and ready for the next sprint.

Perform 2-3 times per week. After a few weeks, you will see and feel the difference in your body, speed, and leg strength in the gym.

Originally Posted by Trepkos01 View Post

Mind sharing your reasoning for using IF?

Cardio: 3-4x Week - Either HIIT Treadmill or 3 Mile Run - Swimming almost daily.
    HIIT details? Treadmill settings? Interval durations? Rest durations?

This is a GREAT choice!

Press Day
    Supplement 2: Insert a tricep dominant press variation like close grip bench, dips, etc.

Squat Day(REHAB)

Pull Day
    Core 2: Standing or Seated BB Military Press

Lift Day
    Overall, looking very solid! This is what I call a quality post. If you have the time, let me know about the questions I asked you.

Thanks for posting,

Ryan

Jess and I started a weekly Saturday morning training date about a month ago, and it's something I recommend to anyone with a significant other.

Instead of blowing $75.00+ a week on a restaurant meal that leaves us feeling lethargic, we spend less than half that on a date that leaves us feeling great, closer as a couple through doing work together, and allows us to support a local gym that deserves it.

Make this change in your dating schedule, now!

Although we aren't done with Matt's summer shred, this picture deserves some publicity.

Matt had never had abs in his life, and he wanted them bad! He is a prime example of someone who was overweight in highschool and decided to change his life once he graduated and entered the real world.

Matt was 260lbs at 16 years old. He proudly checked in with me today at 188lbs with clear abs, not to mention every other muscle as well.

Our goal was to reach the 180s, which has been met. Our final phase starts Monday, leading into July!

Matt, working with you is an honor.

Stay tuned for a full feature article on Matt as he finalizes his summer shred!

Trepkos01 is just really nice. (+1000) Trepkos01 is just really nice. (+1000) Trepkos01 is just really nice. (+1000) Trepkos01 is just really nice. (+1000) Trepkos01 is just really nice. (+1000) Trepkos01 is just really nice. (+1000) Trepkos01 is just really nice. (+1000) Trepkos01 is just really nice. (+1000) Trepkos01 is just really nice. (+1000) Trepkos01 is just really nice. (+1000) Trepkos01 is just really nice. (+1000)

Press Day
    Supplement 2: Close-Grip Bench Press

Squat Day(REHAB)

Pull Day
    Core 2: Standing or Seated BB Military Press

Lift Day

Adding close-grip bench press seems ideal. Never been a fan of the exercise because of the stress that it puts on my wrists but ultimately given the shape of my chest, an exercise that somewhat hits both should be utilized. I do like dips better, but the current location does not have an area that a long-limb-ed person can effectively do dips.

Nutrition - The reason for using Intermittent Fasting is that I've read articles and personal testimonies swearing by its results. Therefore I decided to give it a try, I have been eating roughly 3600-4000 calories for a while now. I have been recording my diet and have discovered that on the previous Macro-cycle(4 weeks or 28 days), I have eaten roughly correctly 65% of those days(or around 18-19 days out of 28). This isn't spectacular, seeing as my diet roughly starts to go on hiatus on the weekends and when I do not diet or carefully watch my calories, I severely under-eat rather than over-eat. So one definite improvement this time around is to eat correctly 85%-90% of the time.

Cardio - At around 215-217lbs(with clothes), I generally perform the either the following. One week I'll try to run 3 miles generally in between 25:30 - 27:30 3x a week(So I typically call this moderate/high intensity steady state training) or I'll do a treadmill workout 4-5x a week that consists of either of the following:
    2 Minutes @ 7.0 mph
    1 Minute @ 8.0 mph
    1 Minute @ 9.0 mph
    1 Minute @ 10.0 mph
    1 Minute @ 6.0 mph
    1 Minute @ 7.0 mph
    1 Minute @ 8.0 mph
    1 Minute @ 9.0 mph
    1 Minute @ 10.0 mph

Which is 10 total minutes, or I'll generally walk(3.5 mph) for a minute and run(11.0-12.0 mph) for a minute in intervals until I have ran a total of 1.5 miles.

Swimming can be considered low intensity interval training.

My typical squat day, if I wasn't rehabbing my knees(and I might try it to see if any pain occurs), typically consisted of:

Core: ATG Squats
    Supplement 1: Front Squats
    Supplement 2: Leg Extensions
    Supplement 3: Standing Calve Raises
    Weak Point Training: *Insert something here*

For perspective, here is the one-rep maxes that I'll be working with.

Flat Barbell Bench Press: 290x1
    (Progression here has been slow and back and forth, the first macro-cycle, the one-rep max was 275(underestimated), managing 230 for 10 on the 1st week and 260 for 5, I bumped it up to 300x1,
    than it stayed at 300 for 1 which was a generous 1 rep max because I couldn't bench press 300 for 1 rep in actuality. I decreased the percentages to the 60-70-etc scheme and managed to calculate the new one rep max to 312x1 from 240x9-10 and 275x5. After a couple of incompleted macro-cycles, the one rep max dropped back down to 290x1 from 245x8 and 280x2....)

ATG Squats: 315x1
    (First macrocycle, I estimated it to 365x1, I managed to get it up to over 405lbs before I decided that I wasn't happy with the depth of my squats and reasoned to reduce the one rep max down to 315lbs and concentrate on perfect depth. I managed to get the new one rep max up to 372x1 from 265x12 and 300x8, that was the last macrocycle before I developed tendonitis in my knees(not due to working out))

Bent-Over Barbell Rows: 279x1
    (Pretty standard, similar to squats, I got these to a higher extent before form-checking and deciding to decrease the weight and focus on making my back more parallel with the floor and only counting full-reps where the bar touched my upper-ab/lower chest area with minimal moving.)

Standing Military Press: 165x1
    (This, much like bench press, has been all over the place. The gym I work out at has a strictly vertical power-rack so when doing seated military press, you can face the rack which requires you to lean or move forward to grab the bar and then move back into your seat to re-posture your back. This also guarantees that the bar starts on your upper-chest. My second or third macro-cycle, on the heaviest weight of 185lbs, I managed to get 4 reps for the first AMRAP set while not even able to get to 1 rep on the second or third sets(not able to get the bar off of my chest), also when the weight became heavy, no matter how hard I attempted to keep my back straight, I would slide forward in the seat a bit during the course of the lift. Therefore I decided my ROM wasn't good enough and that I needed to focus on bringing the bar completely down to my chest and back up. I did this for a couple of weeks before catching a video of some other bodybuilders who simply brought the bar down to below their chin level and back up, they also started from the top position instead of bottom during the lift. Therefore, I adjusted the vertical rack so that I could start from the top position and simply limit my ROM to below chin level and back up. Unfortunately, the bar kept hitting the "catchers" during the lift causing me to lose stabilization. Now I'm simply just going to do standing military press(maybe starting each lift off with a power clean into position) and estimate my 1-RM to a modest 165x1 and go up from there, possibly)

Deadlift: 489x1
    (Deadlift steadily increased but still isn't a exercise that I'm extremely comfortable in as it's extremely easy to let your form fail once you're in the 80+% range, I try to not round my back or let my shoulders roll forward on the lift as best as I can. My deadlift number is modest, in actuality the last time I actually finished the 3rd or 4th of the macrocycle(thus the 85% and 95% weeks) on deadlifts is apparently mid-March therefore I was hit pretty hard when I finished it last week with 445 for only 2(whereas I had done 450 for 3 the last time I completed a macrocycle)). Consistency seems to be the key here and also the apparent lack of leg-work doesn't help either.)
    I train myself physically, mentally, and spiritually; so that when life pushes with the hand of fate placed against my chest, I can push back ten times harder.

rome1989 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rome1989 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rome1989 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rome1989 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rome1989 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rome1989 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rome1989 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rome1989 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rome1989 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rome1989 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rome1989 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks for my new nutrition plan Ryan, looking forward to working with you over the next 16 weeks during this cut

Also, you might like to know that last night I benched 120kg for the first time. Beast mode engaged

Originally Posted by Trepkos01 View Post

Nutrition - The reason for using Intermittent Fasting is that I've read articles and personal testimonies swearing by its results. Therefore I decided to give it a try, I have been eating roughly 3600-4000 calories for a while now. I have been recording my diet and have discovered that on the previous Macro-cycle(4 weeks or 28 days), I have eaten roughly correctly 65% of those days(or around 18-19 days out of 28). This isn't spectacular, seeing as my diet roughly starts to go on hiatus on the weekends and when I do not diet or carefully watch my calories, I severely under-eat rather than over-eat. So one definite improvement this time around is to eat correctly 85%-90% of the time.
    You definitely want to stick to the plan more often than 65% of the time. I recommend 90% to my nutrition clients, as it's very difficult to gain good cause & effect data if you're not collecting reliable data. 65% isn't what I'd call serious, and I feel that you're capable of better adherence!

Also, IF isn't necessary, but if you like that schedule, feel free to use it and see how you like it.

Cardio - At around 215-217lbs(with clothes), I generally perform the either the following. One week I'll try to run 3 miles generally in between 25:30 - 27:30 3x a week(So I typically call this moderate/high intensity steady state training) or I'll do a treadmill workout 4-5x a week that consists of either of the following:
    2 Minutes @ 7.0 mph
    1 Minute @ 8.0 mph
    1 Minute @ 9.0 mph
    1 Minute @ 10.0 mph
    1 Minute @ 6.0 mph
    1 Minute @ 7.0 mph
    1 Minute @ 8.0 mph
    1 Minute @ 9.0 mph
    1 Minute @ 10.0 mph

Which is 10 total minutes, or I'll generally walk(3.5 mph) for a minute and run(11.0-12.0 mph) for a minute in intervals until I have ran a total of 1.5 miles.

Swimming can be considered low intensity interval training.
    I would recommend interval training 1-2 times per week, but more intense than what you've been doing. If you can run at your interval pace for a minute, it's not intense enough. 20-30 seconds should be the top duration for interval training, many times even shorter.

Thanks for following up,

Ryan

What would you do in the case where you have lingering DOMS from the "Squat Day"?

For example, this macrocycle, I managed to complete the typical "Squat Day" as I have done in the past prior to patellar tendonitis; unfortunately re-inserting ATG back squats and front squats back into the routine has rendered my legs(including calves) extremely sore and stiff. Despite this, I have performed the 10 minute treadmill cardio outlined above, 3 times this week thus far. The "Squat Day" was Tuesday and the "Lift Day" will be this Saturday according to the layout of the macrocycle. I'm not sure if the DOMS will subside by the time that the "Lift Day" comes around.

Also, you recommend moderate/high intensity cardio only twice a week? I may see if I can find a track nearby to run 100m sprints.

I also made the following adjustments to the workout routine layout.

Press Day
    Supplement 2: Close-Grip Bench Press

Squat Day
    Core: Squats
    Weak Point Training: Seated Dumbbell Tricep Ext.
    Supplement 1: Front Squats
    Supplement 2: Leg Extensions
    Supplement 3: Standing Calve Raises

Pull Day
    Core 2: Standing Military Press
    Supplement 3: Spider EZ Bar Curls

Lift Day
    Supplement 1: Rack Pulls
    Supplement 2: DB Shrugs
    Supplement 3: Leg Curls

This included the changes outlined by you in the original post and some changes made by myself. These changes are highlighted in bold.

I decided to add in Rack Pulls as an additional supplement lift on the "Lift Day" to help with the upper-portion of the deadlift motion. I replaced the BB Curls with EZ Bar Spider Curls to concentrate more on the contraction of muscle. I have stubborn biceps and honestly barbell curls can feel awkward at times.

Next I would like to inquire about warm-up sets. This is what I've done in the past.

On supplement lifts:

For 3 sets of 15-20, the first set is usually whichever heaviest weight I had used for that exercise in that rep-range the previous time.
    Example: Let's say I'm doing Seated Rows, before starting my first set I'll check back to see what my heaviest weight for 15-20 reps was four weeks ago and use that as the starting weight and go up in weight/reps(or down :/ ) from there.

For the 4 sets of 8-10, the first set I will generally use the heaviest weight for 10 reps that I had used the week before for the 15-20 scheme, the second set I'll check back to four weeks ago and so forth.

For the 5 sets of 4-6, same case, the first set I'll do the 15-20 heaviest weight for 6 reps, second set I'll do the heaviest 8-10 scheme weight for 6 reps, the third set I'll check back to four weeks ago and so forth.

On Core lifts:

Core lifts are different. Each core lift has two warm-up sets that are exceptionally light.

For example, for barbell bench press I might do just the bar(45lbs) for 15 reps, then 135lbs for 10 reps. Those are my first two light warm-up sets. For deadlifts, this would be 135x15 and 225x10.

Same case, for barbell rows, and previously seated military press would consisted of the bar for 15 reps and 95lbs for 10 reps.

The number of sets increase by week with a new warm-up set added each week. For example, this would be flat barbell bench press.

Week 1: 45x15, 135x10, 185x8, 185x8, 185x23
    Week 2: 45x15, 135x10, 185x6, 215x6, 215x6, 215x15
    Week 3: 45x15, 135x10, 185x3, 215x3, 245x8, 245x3, 245x3
    Week 4: 45x15, 135x10, 185x2, 215x2, 245x2, 280x3, 280x1, 280x1

So you can see that this scheme works similar to the following:

Week 1: Light warm-up, light warm-up, working set, working set, AMRAP set
    Week 2: Light warm-up, light warm-up, previous week's weight for current rep scheme, working set, working set, AMRAP set
    Week 3: Light warm-up, light warm-up, two weeks ago's weight for current rep scheme, previous week's weight for current rep scheme, AMRAP, working set, working set.
    And so forth.

Does this seems like a valid warm-up scheme or would this exhaust the muscle too much before the important AMRAP set?

Originally Posted by rome1989 View Post
    Thanks for my new nutrition plan Ryan, looking forward to working with you over the next 16 weeks during this cut
    It's time to get lean! You're going to feel great during this cut (until the final 2-3 week phase)

Also, you might like to know that last night I benched 120kg for the first time. Beast mode engaged
    PR!!!!!
    We'll be in touch J,

Ryan

rome1989 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rome1989 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rome1989 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rome1989 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rome1989 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rome1989 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rome1989 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rome1989 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rome1989 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rome1989 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rome1989 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by 2020Wellness View Post
    We'll be in touch J,

Ryan
    Speaking of PRs...last night also deadlifted 170kg x 2...double overhand grip, no straps, no back brace!

boycaron is not very well liked. (-100) boycaron is not very well liked. (-100) boycaron is not very well liked. (-100) boycaron is not very well liked. (-100) boycaron is not very well liked. (-100) boycaron is not very well liked. (-100) boycaron is not very well liked. (-100) boycaron is not very well liked. (-100) boycaron is not very well liked. (-100) boycaron is not very well liked. (-100) boycaron is not very well liked. (-100)
    Thanks.

Lisamarie456 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lisamarie456 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lisamarie456 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lisamarie456 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lisamarie456 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lisamarie456 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lisamarie456 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lisamarie456 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lisamarie456 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lisamarie456 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lisamarie456 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Been thinking about trying out GST for a while now! Not sure if I'm ready for it but I am definitely going to look into it a bit more.

adriannec is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adriannec is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adriannec is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adriannec is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adriannec is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adriannec is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adriannec is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adriannec is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adriannec is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adriannec is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adriannec is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I've been doing GST for about a year and a half now. Ryan is awesome at both creating programs to address your physique goals and weak points as well as scaling to your fitness level. GST works for beginners to advanced lifters because they lift different weights and get different programs based on goals and experience.

I came from a circuit style, cardio type lifting with lighter weights to GST and haven't looked back since. I wouldn't worry about not being ready because that's not an issue. Drop Ryan an email at ryan@growthstimulustraining.com with questions you have. He does free assessments and can give you detailed responses.

Adrianne
    Online Training and Nutrition Coach
    www.AccidentalFitnessQuest.com

Have a training or nutrition question? PM me or ask me on FB: www.********.com/AccidentalFitnessQuest

Originally Posted by Lisamarie456 View Post
    Been thinking about trying out GST for a while now! Not sure if I'm ready for it but I am definitely going to look into it a bit more.
    Lisa,

The best thing for you to do is to ask me the questions that you want answered. Post them up!

Ryan

Ryan,

What's your take on oly shoes? Specifically the Adidas and Nike ones that have the raised heel and supposedly help keep your feet planted? Been thinking of giving these a try, but don't want to feel like I'm "cheating".

Azrairc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azrairc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azrairc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azrairc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azrairc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azrairc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azrairc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azrairc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azrairc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azrairc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azrairc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hey guys, I Remember how op stressed the importance of picking the correct assistant exercises in the original thread so I come seeking advice.

So far I've chosen Press day first

-Flat bench (main lift) reasoning - Just your number one chest exercise, it has been a staple in all my programs. I progress very slowly and someday's I take two steps back on the bench.. assistants that are best for improving my bench might be the best for me although I'm unsure which lifts they are.
    -BB Push Press (As lift) reasoning - normal BB Press is one of my best lifts, I feel like I'll be able to move a lot of weight by incorporating these.
    -CGBP (As Lift) - One last blast hitting mostly triceps, which can usually take more of a beating than my chest and delts.

What do you guys think? may come back for more advice but I haven't had time to plan all my days yet.

Considering GST's High Freakquency Variation??

Q: "In my previous emails I mentioned that I was curious about the high frequency programming. I'm interested to hear about the effectiveness between "standard" frequency vs higher frequency in regards to mass gains, from your experience of training many clients. I realize the answer is probably "it depends" but would still like to hear your input based off feedback from your clients."

A: "The answer is actually pretty open-ended. You have to take into account the ability of the client to actually recover from multiple stresses on the same muscle group per microcycle. Different people have different recovery abilities. Young people have great recovery, where an older person (later 30s, 40s, 50s) will not be able to recover as well unless they're on PEDs. Also, it's important not to pummel the muscle groups if you're hitting them twice per week. You keep the volume lower per day, so you hit them twice per week but the volume in total is similar to a typical single day of hitting a muscle group hard. Also, nutritional intake matters too! If a person is in a deficit, they're in a worse recovery position than they are in a caloric surplus. As you can see, so many factors go into the choice for more or less frequency! Ryan"

Training is not black and white! Although great principles work, the manner in which they're executed for different people varies for multiple reasons.

Speaking of PRs...last night also deadlifted 170kg x 2...double overhand grip, no straps, no back brace!
    Keep em coming!

Originally Posted by boycaron View Post
    Thanks.
    You're welcome. Are you lining up a GST program for yourself?

Ryan,

What's your take on oly shoes? Specifically the Adidas and Nike ones that have the raised heel and supposedly help keep your feet planted? Been thinking of giving these a try, but don't want to feel like I'm "cheating".
    Well, my take on Oly shoes is that they're very expensive and if you want to get the same effect as their raised heel, you can simply stand with your heels on a 5 or 10lb plate when squatting. This works just as well and saves you the $200+ dollar price tag of Oly shoes.

They do allow for a deeper squat to come a little easier. The main key there is that they angle the shins forward automatically, putting you in a position that promotes more knee ROM, and as a result, a deeper squat. They aren't necessary for a deeper squat though, as people have been demonstrating for years.

The only time they would keep a person's feet more planted is if that person doesn't have the proper flexibility to squat deep. In that situation, that person's heels would tend to raise up as they compensate their form deeper into the squat. If flexibility is in check, a person should be able to back or front squat to full depth with planted heels.

Those are some of my thoughts on the subject. Good question J,

Ryan

Originally Posted by Azrairc View Post
    Hey guys, I Remember how op stressed the importance of picking the correct assistant exercises in the original thread so I come seeking advice.

So far I've chosen Press day first

-Flat bench (main lift) reasoning - Just your number one chest exercise, it has been a staple in all my programs. I progress very slowly and someday's I take two steps back on the bench.. assistants that are best for improving my bench might be the best for me although I'm unsure which lifts they are.
    -BB Push Press (As lift) reasoning - normal BB Press is one of my best lifts, I feel like I'll be able to move a lot of weight by incorporating these.
    -CGBP (As Lift) - One last blast hitting mostly triceps, which can usually take more of a beating than my chest and delts.

What do you guys think? may come back for more advice but I haven't had time to plan all my days yet.
    I strongly recommend that you take the time to line up a complete program and then post it up for me to review. I don't want to review just one day at a time, and if you're going to start GST up, you need to make the full setup anyways. When you post up your entire potential routine, I'll definitely look it over.

Ryan

A small portion of yesterday's GST lift day.

Sumo Deadlifts - 3, 3, AMRAP w/ 80% 1RM
    Romanian Deadlifts - AFSAP 40 Total
    Seated Barbell Calf Raises - 2 or 3 x 20
    Barbell Shrugs - 2 or 3 x 20
    Lying Leg Curls - AFSAP 40 Total
    Weighted Sit-ups - 2 or 3 x 20

Ali18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ali18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ali18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ali18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ali18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ali18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ali18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ali18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ali18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ali18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ali18 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Ryan, can I change the Flat Bench DB Pendlay Rows to something else on Pull Day?

Currently Pull day looks like this;

Core: Bent BB Row (underarm)
    Core 2: Standing Overhead BB Press
    Supplement 1: Pullups
    Supplement 2: Pullup Grip Lat Pulldown
    Weak Point Training: Incline DB Press
    Weak Point Training: Chest Flye Pec Deck
    Supplement 2: Flat Bench DB Pendlay Rows
    Supplement 3: Standing DB Hammer Curls

I still want to focus on my back as its my main lagging part and needs the most attention, however I feel like the Flat Bench DB Pendlay Rows are not doing it for me. What should I replace it with?

Originally Posted by Ali18 View Post
    Ryan, can I change the Flat Bench DB Pendlay Rows to something else on Pull Day?
    Yes, the db row is a horizontal row, which can be replaced with other horizontal rows like the seated cable row with various grips, chest supported t bar row, bent bb row variations, etc.

Currently Pull day looks like this;

Core: Bent BB Row (underarm)
    Core 2: Standing Overhead BB Press
    Supplement 1: Pullups
    Supplement 2: Pullup Grip Lat Pulldown
    I'm not sure why you have pullups and then the near identical pullup grip pulldown together. To me, that is redundant and makes this day longer than it needs to be. I'd pick one or the other, depending on the weight you're using that day. When you're able to do pullups, do them. When the weight you need to use is lighter than your bodyweight, use the pulldown.
    Weak Point Training: Incline DB Press
    Weak Point Training: Chest Flye Pec Deck
    Supplement 2: Flat Bench DB Pendlay Rows
    Sub in something from the list above.
    Supplement 3: Standing DB Hammer Curls
    Let me know if that helps out,

Ryan

It's Saturday morning. That means it's time for the GST crew to head out to SouthSide Bully and do some work!

I'm lined up for Pull day, crushing back and biceps with all kinds of rows, pulls, and curls.

Jess will be hitting those hams, glutes, and the rest of the very important posterior chain with Lift day.

While we get it done, what will you be training today?!

mattd534 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattd534 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattd534 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattd534 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattd534 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattd534 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattd534 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattd534 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattd534 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattd534 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattd534 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    For Pull-Day can your core lift be a bent over close grip t-bar row?
    Look at all that Snap City Action!!!!!!

Originally Posted by mattd534 View Post
    For Pull-Day can your core lift be a bent over close grip t-bar row?
    Matt,

Yes, it can. Since you're not using a chest supported version of the TBar row, you will need to use smaller plates to get a nice full ROM though. I'm not sure what type of weight you're capable of moving, but 25lb plates are going to work better than 45lb plates. With 45lb plates, they'll hit your upper stomach and chest before you're able to get a real tight squeeze in those lats and mid/upper back muscles. You're over 6 feet tall, which will help. But loading the bar with 25lb plates when possible is the way to go.

Ryan

texsreb is on a distinguished road. (+10) texsreb is on a distinguished road. (+10) texsreb is on a distinguished road. (+10) texsreb is on a distinguished road. (+10) texsreb is on a distinguished road. (+10) texsreb is on a distinguished road. (+10) texsreb is on a distinguished road. (+10) texsreb is on a distinguished road. (+10) texsreb is on a distinguished road. (+10) texsreb is on a distinguished road. (+10) texsreb is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Strong man question

Hey Ryan

I was talking to a local guy who use to do strong man. He suggested I start adding overhead log presses to my training. I was thinking press day was the best place to add this lift. What's your advice on where to add this lift?

Jarrod

Originally Posted by texsreb View Post
    Hey Ryan

I was talking to a local guy who use to do strong man. He suggested I start adding overhead log presses to my training. I was thinking press day was the best place to add this lift. What's your advice on where to add this lift?

Jarrod
    The current GST setup calls for the heaviest overhead pressing to be done as a 2nd core lift on Pull day. However, I don't think you can really change the load of the log each week, so that's not too ideal. I'd either have it as a supplement lift on Press day or a Supplement lift on Pull day.

Ryan

From The Inbox

Q: "When do i eat, especially please be extremely specific on training days?"

A: "As far as specific times of the day to eat your meals, there aren't any! The claim that you need to eat at specific times for a diet plan to work is a myth, plain and simple. The thing you need to do is hit your calorie number by the end of each day, whether that's through 3 or 6 meals per day. Just hit the number. Now, the closer you can get to the grams of protein, carbs, and fat that I laid out for you, the better. That goal is a priority, but not as high of a priority as reaching your calorie number as closely as possible.

A major point I'm making is that meal timing matters very little and if I told you to eat at specific times only, that would be poor coaching. I can tell you that I wake up at 615am and eat around 645am. From that point on, I eat every 3-4 hours, which results in 5 meals per day. This works well for me, but it's not the only way to get it done. Depending on your personal schedule, you may piece your meals together differently."

R u aware?