Page 12 of 105 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 ... LastLast
    2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It's about that time again.......fresh Featured Reader!

This is Josh, one of my longest term online training clients.

The cool thing about Josh is that he recently moved to California and is currently an aspiring actor with personal training as one of his career paths as well.

As part of his acting roster, he has already taken part in a Converse commercial, which will be televised in the future. Due to his excellent physique, he is finding his niche in fitness related gigs.

I just think this is so inspiring, especially if you've seen his body in his early days of training (partially shown on the left side of the photo). This guy has grown!

Check out his other photos at www.growthstimulustraining.com/testimonial

Congrats Josh, you deserve to motivate many!

Train Hard. Train Smart. GROW!

[img]https://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd27/deadliftsmith/FeaturedReader10********_zpsa466c424.jpg[/img]
    trainingwithryan.substack.com

SquatsFTW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SquatsFTW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SquatsFTW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SquatsFTW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SquatsFTW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SquatsFTW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SquatsFTW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SquatsFTW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SquatsFTW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SquatsFTW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SquatsFTW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Im going to start GST this sunday, and would like to hear what u think about my exercise choices:

Core:Conventional BB Deadlift
    Supp:Glute Ham Raise
    Supp: Romanian Deadlift
    ABS

Core: Flat BB Press
    Supp: Dips
    Supp: Incline DB Press
    +Tricep isolation

Core: BB Back Squat
    Supp:Bulgaria DB Split Squat
    Supp:Front Squat
    ABS
    Core: Chin Up
    Supp: Flat Bench DB Row
    Supp:Close Grip Seated Cable Row
    Supp: Close Grip Lat Pulldown
    +Bicep isolation

And about Front squats. They are usually preferred to do at lower reps, especially not as high as the program suggests(especially 15-20 reps), what do you think about that?
    Also on my press day, do you think i should change one of those supps to push press for example for shoulders?

2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SquatsFTW View Post
    Im going to start GST this sunday, and would like to hear what u think about my exercise choices:

Core:Conventional BB Deadlift
    Supp:Glute Ham Raise
    Supp: Romanian Deadlift
    ABS
    Can you post a video of how you are performing the GHRs? That move can be good and bad at the first supplement position, but usually bad.

Core: Flat BB Press
    Supp: Dips
    +Tricep isolation

Core: BB Back Squat
    Supp:Bulgarian DB Split Squat
    Supp:Front Squat
    ABS
    There is a current trend of flipping the position of your front and back squats. Consider the front squat as a core lift for a more focused quad session.

Core: Chin Up
    Supp: Flat Bench DB Row
    Supp:Close Grip Seated Cable Row
    Supp: Close Grip Lat Pulldown
    +Bicep isolation

And about Front squats. They are usually preferred to do at lower reps, especially not as high as the program suggests(especially 15-20 reps), what do you think about that?
    I'd be curious as to why you say that. If it's because of major form breakdown at higher rep ranges, then the trainee is just using too much weight for that rep range. IMO, they're just like any other compound exercise that can be performed in multiple rep ranges. It's all about finding the correct weight for the rep range at hand.

Also on my press day, do you think i should change one of those supps to push press for example for shoulders?
    You could have the push press included with the existing supplement lifts. Two supplement lifts is the bare minimum, with 4 being about the most you'll need.
    See Bold and I'll wait for your responses.

Thanks for posting, repped back to green,

Ryan

Originally Posted by planetside View Post
    So, if we bought GST1, do we need to buy it again to get the GST2?
    No, there is no GST 2.0 eBook to purchase. This is the second thread because the first one got locked due to hitting 10,000 replies.

New macrocycle, new routine. Thoughts? I'd like to stick to just DB's for my press movements, as I seem to make better gains vs barbell. My lower chest hasn't developed as well as my upper, so I'd like to address that. My squats have been going through the roof, so not much change there, maybe change it up next macro cycle.

Pull:
    Core: L-chin ups
    Supp: Low Row
    Supp: Decline Press
    Supp: Chest Press Machine
    Supp: CG Lat Pull Downs
    Abs
    Consider changing the decline press to a flat press. You have the decline on Press day, so you might like the change. Also, it's been said that the decline hits the lower chest harder than anything, so that's something to think about when performing it twice per week. Actually, you could perform it twice per week until you're satisfied with your lower chest and then change it up. Two ideas there for you.

Squat:
    Core: Box Squat
    Supp: Leg Press
    Supp: Bulgarian Squat
    Supp: Leg Extensions
    Abs

Press:
    Core: Decline DB Press
    Supp: OH Press
    Supp: Rope Extensions
    Lat raises?
    Abs
    I actually don't know what a 'lat raise' is...... You're either talking about lateral db flyes for the medial delts or some type of lat muscle exercise. Let me know which one it is!

Lift:
    Core: Deadlift
    Supp: Romanian Deadlifts
    Supp: Reserve Lunges
    Supp: Back Extensions
    Abs (reverse crunches on lift days)
    I'd put the reverse lunges after the core lift, as they'll rest your erectors/posterior chain a little for the romanian deadlifts. Instead of the back extensions, consider a more direct/isolating hamstring movement to make sure to hit them hard (a safeguard against becoming quad dominant, if you will).
    Those tips should get you started. Let me know if they bring up any new thoughts/questions,

Ryan

planetside is on a distinguished road. (+10) planetside is on a distinguished road. (+10) planetside is on a distinguished road. (+10) planetside is on a distinguished road. (+10) planetside is on a distinguished road. (+10) planetside is on a distinguished road. (+10) planetside is on a distinguished road. (+10) planetside is on a distinguished road. (+10) planetside is on a distinguished road. (+10) planetside is on a distinguished road. (+10) planetside is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by 2020Wellness View Post
    No, there is no GST 2.0 eBook to purchase. This is the second thread because the first one got locked due to hitting 10,000 replies.

Ahh, on your ******** page I got the impression there was a new version. I've heard things about a GST high frequency training program or was I day dreaming?

Those tips should get you started. Let me know if they bring up any new thoughts/questions,

Ryan
    Consider changing the decline press to a flat press. You have the decline on Press day, so you might like the change. Also, it's been said that the decline hits the lower chest harder than anything, so that's something to think about when performing it twice per week. Actually, you could perform it twice per week until you're satisfied with your lower chest and then change it up. Two ideas there for you.

Hmm, spring break is approaching so I will be getting more sleep and better quality food, so I'll try the decline press twice a week, and then when school starts, I'll probably switch one day to the flat db press.

I actually don't know what a 'lat raise' is...... You're either talking about lateral db flyes for the medial delts or some type of lat muscle exercise. Let me know which one it is!

Sorry, I was half asleep when I typed this out. I meant upright row....

I'd put the reverse lunges after the core lift, as they'll rest your erectors/posterior chain a little for the romanian deadlifts. Instead of the back extensions, consider a more direct/isolating hamstring movement to make sure to hit them hard (a safeguard against becoming quad dominant, if you will).

Ahhh, all this time I've done them immediately after deadlifts. Reason I went with back extensions is because the curl machine my school gym puts a toll on my knees. I've had to do PT for several months during a track season for tendonitis, so I stayed away from it. Replace back extension with glute ham raise??

Also, I don't think I've posted this yet, but I absolutely love this program Ryan. I would definitely like to mix in some high frequency training at some point, but this probably one of the greatest investments I've made for myself.

I've probably been on GST for roughly 30-35 weeks? My starting weight was 140 flat, and now I'm at 168 in the nude. All of my compound lifts have doubled, or more, and I'm extremely happy with my progress. I just can't seem to get over 170, and would like to get to 185+ before I start my cut. I'm probably going to start incorporating creatine into my supplements, but other than that and trying to eat more, any other suggestions? To say I am pleased with GST would be an understatement.

Here is what I started with.

And my bodyspace pic:
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/co...tside/21942792

rnyc84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rnyc84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rnyc84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rnyc84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rnyc84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rnyc84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rnyc84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rnyc84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rnyc84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rnyc84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rnyc84 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Read the starter eBook on Monday (haven't committed to buying the full thing yet, sorry!), have been messing around with this structure this week. It's not a whole lot different from the exercises I was already doing, but the execution (reps and sets) is a lot different. When I did Squats, I could barely walk leaving the gym. I only got a little soreness, but my legs were SO fatigued for two days. Pull went pretty well, I think. Just got home from Push, not sure I worked hard enough...

I have been supplementing exercises I prefer in. Sorry to mess with your masterpiece! I did "bodybuilder" exercises for years and never saw the results I wanted. Since I've moved more toward bodyweight stuff, I've totally changed my body composition.

On Pull, I used weighted pullups as my Core (warmup set without weights), then did Cable Row, Bent Over Row, and Barbell curls for my supplementals. My previous workout, I was doing four sets of four types of pullups, 10 reps each, and then some rows (cable or inverted with feet on a ball).

Tonight, for Push, I started with Dumbbell bench as Core, then I did dips, pushups, and elevated pushups. I think I need to add something here.

Also, I was doing some searching on GST and I found a thread from 2010 where you mentioned you were writing a book on nutrition - did that happen? On your site, one of the testimonials mentions that you do nutritional planning, too. I think my diet is okay, but it's definitely something I don't know enough about. Though, as of this week, I think I'm finally taking in enough calories to actually get to my goal weight.

EDIT: Ah, one thing I forgot to mention! I found this really interesting: With the squats, I was lifting more on each set than I usually do (ex. first set was 150 instead of 135), but the last set was actually lighter than I usually go. Didn't bother me because I know my form was on point every set and I was squatting deep. (Well, deep enough - I see some guys practically sitting on the floor.)
    Last edited by rnyc84; 02-28-2013 at 07:01 PM.

how bad do you want it? mikeallen52's Avatar
    mikeallen52 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikeallen52 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikeallen52 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikeallen52 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikeallen52 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikeallen52 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikeallen52 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikeallen52 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikeallen52 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikeallen52 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikeallen52 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Ryan, I read your first and second thread, love it all! Just some questions for you when you have some time.

-I keep seeing GST is only good for mass / size, but if I followed this with keeping my nutrition for my cut, I should still be losing weight?
    -I lifted when I was in high school, hitting the big compound lifts, but didn't life too much since, now I'm 3 years removed from high school, could I still benefit from "noob gains" such as doing FBW 3x a week?
    -Do you have any personal lift recommendations for someone being on a cut while following this?

Sorry if these have been asked before! I look forward to your answers!
    MikeAllen v1.0 :
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=152402033

SquatsFTW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SquatsFTW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SquatsFTW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SquatsFTW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SquatsFTW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SquatsFTW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SquatsFTW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SquatsFTW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SquatsFTW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SquatsFTW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SquatsFTW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    See Bold and I'll wait for your responses.

Thanks for posting, repped back to green,

Ryan

Just realized ive probably been doing them wrong, on a machine like back extension which is parallel(not the regular GHR-machine), but still feeling them a lot in my hamstrings. What would you recommend instead?

About the Back and front squats, i prefer having back squat as the core lift at least for now. Still getting the form down, so those high reps will probably be better. About the high reps on the front squats, everywhere ive read, its been said that most peoples upper back gets fatigued if doing high reps on them and it doesnt work the legs enough if doing it for weight which upper back can take that high reps.

Hmm, spring break is approaching so I will be getting more sleep and better quality food, so I'll try the decline press twice a week, and then when school starts, I'll probably switch one day to the flat db press.

Sorry, I was half asleep when I typed this out. I meant upright row....
    The upright row is a quality movement. To be honest, I actually feel these more in my front/medial delts when I perform them on a smith machine. I can't say just why that is, but I know from anecdotal experience that it's true.

Ahhh, all this time I've done them immediately after deadlifts. Reason I went with back extensions is because the curl machine my school gym puts a toll on my knees. I've had to do PT for several months during a track season for tendonitis, so I stayed away from it. Replace back extension with glute ham raise??
    In this case, the GHR would be a way to simulate the leg curl without using the leg curl, yes. However, GHRs are ALOT tougher, depending on how you have to perform them. If you have an actual GHR machine they're going to be easier.

Also, I don't think I've posted this yet, but I absolutely love this program Ryan. I would definitely like to mix in some high frequency training at some point, but this probably one of the greatest investments I've made for myself.
    My goal with GST and my GST eBook is to put out a product that is worth the investment, so hearing something like this just gives me more confidence that I've done that, and will continue to do that with future products. Thanks!

I've probably been on GST for roughly 30-35 weeks? My starting weight was 140 flat, and now I'm at 168 in the nude. All of my compound lifts have doubled, or more, and I'm extremely happy with my progress. I just can't seem to get over 170, and would like to get to 185+ before I start my cut. I'm probably going to start incorporating creatine into my supplements, but other than that and trying to eat more, any other suggestions? To say I am pleased with GST would be an understatement.
    My best advice to you in terms of working on your nutrition is to stick with the guy who put together the training side of things for you That same guy offers a comprehensive nutrition service as well, and it's discounted to eBook customers! Read up here: www.growthstimulustraining.com/nutrition.

One thing I can tell you is that adding creatine to the equation is not your answer. It's a logical decision, that you should definitely do, but it's not the answer to 'how do I gain more weight?'

If you want, I'll assess you nutritionally for free. I just need you to email me so I can send my nutrition questionnaire: ryan@growthstimulustraining.com.

Here is what I started with.

And my bodyspace pic:
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/co...tside/21942792

This is a great testimonial overall, and I'd like to add you to the GST testimonial page on the website. Can I do that?
    See Bold.

Originally Posted by rnyc84 View Post
    Read the starter eBook on Monday (haven't committed to buying the full thing yet, sorry!), have been messing around with this structure this week. It's not a whole lot different from the exercises I was already doing, but the execution (reps and sets) is a lot different. When I did Squats, I could barely walk leaving the gym. I only got a little soreness, but my legs were SO fatigued for two days. Pull went pretty well, I think. Just got home from Push, not sure I worked hard enough...
    Thanks for working with my program and for posting here!

One thing you'll want to consider, and I tell this to everyone, is that if you perform Micro 0 before you get your custom program made by me, you'll be performing Micro 0 twice. Should you choose to pick up the complete eBook and free program design, you'll start back at Micro 0 with your new program. So, before you put too much time into your self made plan, think about that.

I have been supplementing exercises I prefer in. Sorry to mess with your masterpiece! I did "bodybuilder" exercises for years and never saw the results I wanted. Since I've moved more toward bodyweight stuff, I've totally changed my body composition.
    My guess is that you also had some dietary changes in there as well. You will find that GST requires added resistance, over and above bodyweight.

On Pull, I used weighted pullups as my Core (warmup set without weights), then did Cable Row, Bent Over Row, and Barbell curls for my supplementals. My previous workout, I was doing four sets of four types of pullups, 10 reps each, and then some rows (cable or inverted with feet on a ball).

Tonight, for Push, I started with Dumbbell bench as Core, then I did dips, pushups, and elevated pushups. I think I need to add something here.
    It's going to be easier to progressively overload a barbell press or dumbbell press instead of a pushup. Also, consider that elevated pushups are mimicking either an incline or decline press, depending on which end of your body is elevated. Again, it'll be easier and more convenient for you to overload either the incline or decline barbell or dumbbell presses than their respective pushup variant.

Also, I was doing some searching on GST and I found a thread from 2010 where you mentioned you were writing a book on nutrition - did that happen? On your site, one of the testimonials mentions that you do nutritional planning, too. I think my diet is okay, but it's definitely something I don't know enough about. Though, as of this week, I think I'm finally taking in enough calories to actually get to my goal weight.
    Many people think their diet is OK, and then they see that they have much to learn or improve on when they see my assessment of their answers to my nutrition questionnaire. You can read about my comprehensive nutrition service here: www.growthstimulustraining.com/nutrition. This is something that many of my GST eBook customers take part in, and it's discounted to them too.

If you have questions on this, feel free to ask me through email at ryan@growthstimulustraining.com

EDIT: Ah, one thing I forgot to mention! I found this really interesting: With the squats, I was lifting more on each set than I usually do (ex. first set was 150 instead of 135), but the last set was actually lighter than I usually go. Didn't bother me because I know my form was on point every set and I was squatting deep. (Well, deep enough - I see some guys practically sitting on the floor.)
    See Bold.

Originally Posted by mikeallen52 View Post
    Ryan, I read your first and second thread, love it all! Just some questions for you when you have some time.

-I keep seeing GST is only good for mass / size, but if I followed this with keeping my nutrition for my cut, I should still be losing weight?
    GST is great for mass when the trainee is eating in a caloric surplus. GST is great for maintaining mass when the trainee is eating in a caloric deficit. You can cut fat while using GST, you just need to be in a caloric deficit. There are no issues with using GST for fat loss.

-I lifted when I was in high school, hitting the big compound lifts, but didn't life too much since, now I'm 3 years removed from high school, could I still benefit from "noob gains" such as doing FBW 3x a week?
    You could certainly put a weekly linear progressing program to work for you until it stops. At that point, you could put GST to work for you. Or, you could start with GST and just leave out the FBW programming. I've seen both methods work, so it comes down to a personal preference to start. GST is going to be more mentally engaging though, I promise. Mental engagement makes a huge difference when it comes to results. Why? If you're bored with your programming, you won't be motivated to work hard, or even show up!

-Do you have any personal lift recommendations for someone being on a cut while following this?
    Nope, nothing in terms of lift choices is going to change from a bulk to a cut. If you do it while bulking, you can do it while cutting.

Sorry if these have been asked before! I look forward to your answers!
    See Bold.

rnyc84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rnyc84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rnyc84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rnyc84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rnyc84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rnyc84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rnyc84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rnyc84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rnyc84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rnyc84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rnyc84 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Going to shoot you an E-mail in a minute, but I wanted to say a couple of things publicly:
    1- I think it's awesome that you're helping people out, especially that you're helping people who haven't even given you a dime (...like me). I'll be buying your eBook based on this alone.
    2- Wanted to clarify that the Push day I had did, in fact, result in a lot some soreness and fatigue.

Originally Posted by rnyc84 View Post
    Going to shoot you an E-mail in a minute, but I wanted to say a couple of things publicly:
    1- I think it's awesome that you're helping people out, especially that you're helping people who haven't even given you a dime (...like me). I'll be buying your eBook based on this alone.
    Thanks for this, I love hearing that people recognize what I'm doing and appreciate it enough to support me as a result. To be honest, there aren't many people who try and milk me dry for advice without showing support through an eBook purchase. My faith in humanity is still in tact Once you pick up your eBook, you'll be using GST to it's fullest.

2- Wanted to clarify that the Push day I had did, in fact, result in a lot some soreness and fatigue.
    As usual
    Thanks again, and I look forward to putting together your program for you,

Ryan

mikeallen52 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikeallen52 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikeallen52 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikeallen52 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikeallen52 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikeallen52 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikeallen52 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikeallen52 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikeallen52 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikeallen52 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikeallen52 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Ryan, it's me again. Just some questions / statements!
    -Yesterday, I decided to give GST a go. I'd love to purchase everything, but as I'm a marine deployed to Afghanistan, I would not be able to follow the nutrition part as best as possible, due to the hands of the chow hall. I try and eat as best as possible, grabbing lean cuts of meat / fish whenever possible. I'll be follow GST as best as possible with the information from your threads and the 7 day trial, and when I get back to the states, I will more than likely purchase the full thing. Also, while on a cut, should I be taking creatine? With that being said, I'd love it if you critiqued my work out. Here it goes..

Press Day
    Core - Flat Bench Press
    Supp 1 - Incline Dumbbell Press
    Supp 2 - Dips

Squat Day
    Core - Barbell Back Squat
    Supp 1 - Front Squat
    Supp 2 - Leg Extensions

Pull Day
    Core - Pull Up
    Supp 1 - Dumbbell Row
    Supp 2 - Barbell Curl

Lift Day
    Core - Barbell Deadlift
    Supp 1 - Leg Curl
    Supp 2 - Romanian Deadlift

Now the reason I'm only doing 2 supplement lifts is a for a few reasons.
    - I don't want to get burned out too quickly / too easily, I'll be in this country for a while
    - I only know a few of the supplement lifts that you recommend, so I don't wanna use all of them onto my first macrocycle

I'm starting my journal after this post, under GST - MikeAllen52 if you wanna sub and offer some of your amazing advise! Thanks again.
    Last edited by mikeallen52; 03-02-2013 at 05:06 PM.

Zaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zaa is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hi Ryan,

Sorry if repost, Gonna start GST this week, but regarding the weight for Supps, is week 1 65% of 15-20 max but only do 8-10reps? and week 2 is 75% of 15-20 max and do 15-20 reps?

Lastly abs reps week 1 8-10 and week 2 15-20? I read through the old thread and might have missed these thanks!
    "What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

MyProtein Discount Code MP18604297 Use for 5% off on your first order!

We all have our strengths and weaknesses nutritionally. I have no problem eating consistently and within my targets.

However, I have always struggled with getting those fruits and vegetables in. I seem to do it in spurts, but need to make it a constant!

In honor of this weakness, here's to micronutrients!

rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Zaa View Post
    Hi Ryan,

Sorry if repost, Gonna start GST this week, but regarding the weight for Supps, is week 1 65% of 15-20 max but only do 8-10reps? and week 2 is 75% of 15-20 max and do 15-20 reps?

Lastly abs reps week 1 8-10 and week 2 15-20? I read through the old thread and might have missed these thanks!
    Supplement exercises don't follow the percentage scale like your core lift does. For supps on micro 1 you follow rep scheme 1 and pick a weight that you can do 15-20 reps for each set. Micro 2 follows rep scheme 2 so you will choose a weight that you can do 8-10 reps for each set. Micro 3 follows rep scheme 3 which is 4-6 reps and finally micro 4 goes back to rep scheme 1 again. When starting MACRO 2 micro 1 instead of beginning with rep scheme 1 all over again you just continue to cycle your rep schemes so Macro 2 micro 1 will be supps with rep scheme 2.

It will take a little trial and error to find the correct weight to use. Once you are able to complete 90% of the reps required for all sets just up the weight a little the next time you do that rep scheme.

I hope this makes sense. Good luck.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #52 ▪█─────█▪
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #5 []---[]

Zaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zaa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zaa is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by rthawker View Post
    Supplement exercises don't follow the percentage scale like your core lift does. For supps on micro 1 you follow rep scheme 1 and pick a weight that you can do 15-20 reps for each set. Micro 2 follows rep scheme 2 so you will choose a weight that you can do 8-10 reps for each set. Micro 3 follows rep scheme 3 which is 4-6 reps and finally micro 4 goes back to rep scheme 1 again. When starting MACRO 2 micro 1 instead of beginning with rep scheme 1 all over again you just continue to cycle your rep schemes so Macro 2 micro 1 will be supps with rep scheme 2.

It will take a little trial and error to find the correct weight to use. Once you are able to complete 90% of the reps required for all sets just up the weight a little the next time you do that rep scheme.

I hope this makes sense. Good luck.
    Not really sorry, I was referring to the following, is this just cycled round every 2 weeks, with max weights? from thread one.

I'm going to take our same previous lifting schedule and add in the schemes below.

Week 1

Workout 1: Squat Training
    Core Lift: Barbell Front Squat
    Supplement Lift 1: Walking BB Lunge, 3-4x8-10
    Supplement Lift 2: Single Leg Press, 3-4x8-10

Workout 2: Pull Training
    Core Lift: Multi Grip Pullup
    Supplement Lift 1: Flat Bench DB Row, 3-4x8-10
    Supplement Lift 2: Close Grip Seated Cable Row, 3-4x8-10

Workout 3: Lift Training
    Core Lift: Conventional BB Deadlift,
    Supplement Lift 1: BB Good Morning, 3-4x8-10
    Supplement Lift 2: Cable Pullthrough, 3-4x8-10

Workout 4: Press Training
    Core Lift: Incline BB Press
    Supplement Lift 1: Dips, 3-4x8-10
    Supplement Lift 2: Flat DB Press, 3-4x8-10

Week 2

Workout 1: Squat Training
    Core Lift: Barbell Front Squat
    Supplement Lift 1: Walking BB Lunge, 2-3x15-20
    Supplement Lift 2: Single Leg Press, 2-3x15-20

Workout 2: Pull Training
    Core Lift: Multi Grip Pullup
    Supplement Lift 1: Flat Bench DB Row, 2-3x15-20
    Supplement Lift 2: Close Grip Seated Cable Row, 2-3x15-20

Workout 3: Lift Training
    Core Lift: Conventional BB Deadlift,
    Supplement Lift 1: BB Good Morning, 2-3x15-20
    Supplement Lift 2: Cable Pullthrough, 2-3x15-20

Workout 4: Press Training
    Core Lift: Incline BB Press
    Supplement Lift 1: Dips, 2-3x15-20
    Supplement Lift 2: Flat DB Press, 2-3x15-20

There is an alternating pattern which takes place weekly, as you can see. This pattern should be used throughout the duration of your GST program!
    Or as you said do supps follow micro reps for first macro? then this takes place?
    "What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

MyProtein Discount Code MP18604297 Use for 5% off on your first order!

rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Not really sorry, I was referring to the following, is this just cycled round every 2 weeks, with max weights? from thread one.

Or as you said do supps follow micro reps for first macro? then this takes place?
    In the example you have shown week 1 is following rep scheme 2 and week 2 is following rep scheme 1 as outlined in GST. There have been many changes to the original program you would really stand to benefit from contacting Ryan through his website and purchasing the E-book with a free program design from him. At least do some reading on his website. www.growthstimulustraining.com

I'm sure Ryan will have some more insight.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #52 ▪█─────█▪
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #5 []---[]

Modified my Lift day a little, what do you think:

Supp: Romanian deadlift
    Supp: Pullthrough
    Supp: Leg curls
    + ab-wheel rollouts

Also, is it ok to add something like DB bench press to end of other workout, because that is major weakpoint for me?

DamianBlane is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DamianBlane is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DamianBlane is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DamianBlane is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DamianBlane is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DamianBlane is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DamianBlane is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DamianBlane is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DamianBlane is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DamianBlane is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DamianBlane is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Help

Take a look at my plan, please. Am I totally off? (Also, sorry for yelling, caps lock was on and I didn't realize it until I had typed everything...lol)

Squat:
    BB BACK SQUAT
    SINGLE LEG PRESS W/ CALF RAISE
    FRONT SQUAT
    ???? SUGGESTIONS?
    Abs: Hanging Leg Raise

Press:
    INCLINE BB PRESS
    DIPS
    INCLINE DB FLYES
    ARNOLD PRESS
    Abs: Decline Crunch

Pull:
    PULL UP
    CLOSE GRIP VS WIDE GRIP LAST PULLDOWN (WHICH GRIP IS RECOMMENDED?)
    SEATED CABLE ROW (AGAIN, CLOSE OR MEDIUM GRIP?)
    RACK CHINS
    Abs: Rack leg raises

Lift:
    CONV DEADLIFT
    HYPEREXTENSIONS
    LYING LEG CURL
    ???? SUGGESTIONS? CALVES AGAIN?
    Abs:Hanging Leg Raise Again (weighted?)

Sets/Reps
    Core lifts:
    10-15 WARMUP SET
    6-8 AT 50%
    4-6 AT 65%
    4-6 AT 80%
    4-6 AT 90%
    4-6 AT 100%

Supplemental lifts:

15-20 WARMUP
    15-2O
    INCREASE WEIGHT IF EASY X2 MORE SETS

alternating between 3-4x8-10 and 2-3x15-20 on the supplementals.

Where does AMRAP fit in? On the last set of the core lift?

I'm also not sure where the 1RM calculation fits in, and when to recalculate. I already have my 5-rep maxes from doing Starting Strength, should I just continue with those and increase incrementally? Maybe I'm thrown off by the whole macro-micro cycle thing.

How off am I? Thanks!

ox1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ox1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ox1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ox1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ox1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ox1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ox1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ox1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ox1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ox1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ox1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Few quick questions, I am not sure I asked all these in my emails Ryan, but just in case other people wanted to know as well, I figured I would ask them in here.

1) Has anyone done CKD on GST? I am wondering if I can maneuver the full body complexes to deplete the glycogen stores.

2) Also, when it says do 60,65,70% for cycle ones weight, do I just pick a weight depending on how I feel?

3) On training days, or days with full body complexes, can I do LISS training, but just less? Like 20 minutes, I find it warms my body up, and helps my knee and back a bit.

I plan on eventually starting a nutrition and work out log, once I get this training program cemented. Right now I am kind of still figuring it out, and with your help, should be able to get er done. Excited.... been at like 290-300 lbs for a long time now :/

Thanks!
    Last edited by ox1982; 03-05-2013 at 12:18 AM.

Ryan, it's me again. Just some questions / statements!
    -Yesterday, I decided to give GST a go. I'd love to purchase everything, but as I'm a marine deployed to Afghanistan, I would not be able to follow the nutrition part as best as possible, due to the hands of the chow hall. I try and eat as best as possible, grabbing lean cuts of meat / fish whenever possible. I'll be follow GST as best as possible with the information from your threads and the 7 day trial, and when I get back to the states, I will more than likely purchase the full thing.
    Mike, you can still get the most out of the program without eating perfectly. To do this, pick up the eBook and let me design your program. The main reason I say this is because you're planning on picking it up later on, but I feel you'll benefit from it now.

Also, while on a cut, should I be taking creatine?
    Yes! There is no nutritional phase during which you should not be taking creatine.

With that being said, I'd love it if you critiqued my work out. Here it goes..

Press Day
    Core - Flat Bench Press
    Supp 1 - Incline Dumbbell Press
    Supp 2 - Dips

Squat Day
    Core - Barbell Back Squat
    Supp 1 - Front Squat
    Supp 2 - Leg Extensions

Pull Day
    Core - Pull Up
    Supp 1 - Dumbbell Row
    Supp 2 - Barbell Curl

Lift Day
    Core - Barbell Deadlift
    Supp 1 - Leg Curl
    Supp 2 - Romanian Deadlift

This is a program that I expect to see from someone who has read Micro 0 and the provided information on this forum. This program is basic, and that's what I wanted to provide to users who want to use GST, but don't want to read the full eBook. One thing I'd like to mention is that if you're only going with 2 supplement lifts per day, make sure they're compound movements! In other words, ditch the leg curls, leg extensions, and the barbell curls for 'bigger' compound movements.

Now the reason I'm only doing 2 supplement lifts is a for a few reasons.
    - I don't want to get burned out too quickly / too easily, I'll be in this country for a while
    You honestly won't get burned out too quickly with 3 supplement exercises. GST cycles through high and low intensity set/rep schemes, which enables you to benefit from the program for a long period of time without any major breaks from the program. People use GST for years on end, enjoying it and benefitting from it.

- I only know a few of the supplement lifts that you recommend, so I don't wanna use all of them onto my first macrocycle.
    I understand what you're saying here, but you can always learn new movements too! I'm sure there are other guys training near you, and you can learn from each other. Also, you can watch videos online as well. To me, this is putting a limit on exercises that you can use, and I don't think you should do that.

I'm starting my journal after this post, under GST - MikeAllen52 if you wanna sub and offer some of your amazing advise! Thanks again.
    You're welcome Mike! Thanks for using GST, and I hope to work with you in the future.
    See Bold.

Hi Ryan,

Supplement exercises are not based on percentages of their 1RM. You need to go through a period of experimentation during which you figure your ideal weights for each supplement exercise set/rep scheme. Once you've established those weights for each supplement exercise, you implement progressive overload and always try to improve on them each time you train. This is why it's so important to journal, journal, journal!

There are actually 3 set rep schemes, not 2.

2x20
    3x12
    4x5

That should help you out a little bit more.
    See bold.

Modified my Lift day a little, what do you think:

Supp: Romanian deadlift
    Supp: Pullthrough
    Supp: Leg curls
    + ab-wheel rollouts
    I think it looks great. As long as you can do back to back conventionals and romanians, you'll be solid.

Also, is it ok to add something like DB bench press to end of other workout, because that is major weakpoint for me?
    Weak points are typically doubled in training frequency. If you add a press motion, add it to your Pull day, which will keep it from affecting your next Press day.
    See Bold.

Originally Posted by DamianBlane View Post
    Take a look at my plan, please. Am I totally off? (Also, sorry for yelling, caps lock was on and I didn't realize it until I had typed everything...lol)

Squat:
    BB BACK SQUAT
    SINGLE LEG PRESS W/ CALF RAISE
    FRONT SQUAT
    ???? SUGGESTIONS?
    Abs: Hanging Leg Raise
    I'd just separate the leg press and the calf raises. Just do calf raises by themselves before your hanging leg raises.

Press:
    INCLINE BB PRESS
    DIPS
    INCLINE DB FLYES
    ARNOLD PRESS
    Abs: Decline Crunch
    I'd do the Arnold press before the flyes.

Pull:
    PULL UP
    CLOSE GRIP VS WIDE GRIP LAST PULLDOWN (WHICH GRIP IS RECOMMENDED?) Medium Grip.
    SEATED CABLE ROW (AGAIN, CLOSE OR MEDIUM GRIP?) Close grip is ideal here.
    RACK CHINS
    Abs: Rack leg raises
    I'd get a bicep movement in there in place of the rack chins.

Lift:
    CONV DEADLIFT
    HYPEREXTENSIONS
    LYING LEG CURL
    ???? SUGGESTIONS? CALVES AGAIN?
    Abs:Hanging Leg Raise Again (weighted?)
    Consider shrugs on this day, and I'd use a different ab movement than leg raises. You're already doing those above. Calves can definitely be dropped in here on top of everything else too.

Sets/Reps
    Core lifts:
    10-15 WARMUP SET
    6-8 AT 50%
    4-6 AT 65%
    4-6 AT 80%
    4-6 AT 90%
    4-6 AT 100%
    This is not at all what the core lifts should be done like. Make sure to read the core lift section once again, and it'll help you out! Re-read it, relay what you come up with, and we'll go from there. I want you to read it yourself because you'll learn it better that way, and I believe in putting in the time to learn the program before using it.

Supplemental lifts:

15-20 WARMUP
    15-2O
    INCREASE WEIGHT IF EASY X2 MORE SETS

alternating between 3-4x8-10 and 2-3x15-20 on the supplementals.
    If you look in the eBook, you'll find that there are actually 3 supplement lift set/rep schemes. There is also a low rep scheme; 4x5.

Where does AMRAP fit in? On the last set of the core lift?
    On the last set of the core lifts during Micros 1 and 2 and on the first set of the core lifts during Micros 3 and 4. This is also something that's talked about in the eBook.

I'm also not sure where the 1RM calculation fits in, and when to recalculate. I already have my 5-rep maxes from doing Starting Strength, should I just continue with those and increase incrementally? Maybe I'm thrown off by the whole macro-micro cycle thing.
    Once you read the core lift section again, that will all fall into place. You recalculate your 1RM numbers at the end of each Macrocycle, so you can use those numbers during your next Macrocycle.

How off am I? Thanks!
    See Bold.

Originally Posted by ox1982 View Post
    Few quick questions, I am not sure I asked all these in my emails Ryan, but just in case other people wanted to know as well, I figured I would ask them in here.

1) Has anyone done CKD on GST? I am wondering if I can maneuver the full body complexes to deplete the glycogen stores.
    My thoughts on Ketogenic Dieting:

2) Also, when it says do 60,65,70% for cycle ones weight, do I just pick a weight depending on how I feel?
    I answered this for you in an email today!

3) On training days, or days with full body complexes, can I do LISS training, but just less? Like 20 minutes, I find it warms my body up, and helps my knee and back a bit.
    Certainly. I tell people they can do unlimited LISS, as it's not going to hurt anything.

I plan on eventually starting a nutrition and work out log, once I get this training program cemented. Right now I am kind of still figuring it out, and with your help, should be able to get er done. Excited.... been at like 290-300 lbs for a long time now :/

Thanks!
    You're welcome, and you have a program waiting for you in your inbox. Thanks again for your support Ox!
    See bold.

Sounds good Ryan, I'll pick up the eBook today. Since it's 530am (my time) our hours will be kind off in regards to contacting one another. Do you actually send us a book, or is it only readable online? I only have my phone and a tablet out here, and wifi is out at the moment, so I'd only be able to use my work computer from 730pm - 330am EST.
    MikeAllen v1.0 :

Sounds good Ryan, I'll pick up the eBook today. Since it's 530am (my time) our hours will be kind off in regards to contacting one another. Do you actually send us a book, or is it only readable online? I only have my phone and a tablet out here, and wifi is out at the moment, so I'd only be able to use my work computer from 730pm - 330am EST.
    Mike, everything is electronic, so no worries. You won't be the first military GST member either!

I'll be sending you your book and training questionnaire once you complete your order.

Thanks Mike,

Ryan

Mike, everything is electronic, so no worries. You won't be the first military GST member either!

I'll be sending you your book and training questionnaire once you complete your order.

Thanks Mike,

Ryan
    So it doesn't need to be sent here, Afghanistan isn't a choice for payment on paypal, that's where I currently am. Just select the US and it'll still be fine?

EDIT : Just purchased, just awaiting your email now! Thanks again
    Last edited by mikeallen52; 03-05-2013 at 05:14 PM.
    MikeAllen v1.0 :

aesthetically displeasing bally18's Avatar
    bally18 is just really nice. (+1000) bally18 is just really nice. (+1000) bally18 is just really nice. (+1000) bally18 is just really nice. (+1000) bally18 is just really nice. (+1000) bally18 is just really nice. (+1000) bally18 is just really nice. (+1000) bally18 is just really nice. (+1000) bally18 is just really nice. (+1000) bally18 is just really nice. (+1000) bally18 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Great program and appreciate all your advice wellness.

Originally Posted by bally18 View Post
    So 2x20, 3x12 and 4x5 for supplement exercises? I remember them being only 3-4x8-10 and 2-3x15-20 before, did you change them?

jeremy1ns is just really nice. (+1000) jeremy1ns is just really nice. (+1000) jeremy1ns is just really nice. (+1000) jeremy1ns is just really nice. (+1000) jeremy1ns is just really nice. (+1000) jeremy1ns is just really nice. (+1000) jeremy1ns is just really nice. (+1000) jeremy1ns is just really nice. (+1000) jeremy1ns is just really nice. (+1000) jeremy1ns is just really nice. (+1000) jeremy1ns is just really nice. (+1000)
    Im though my first micro and It's great so far Ryan. The 60% days feels light at first but that AMRAP set whips your ass.
    Deads 405--> Goals 500....3xBW
    Squat 320 --> 405
    Bench 200 --> 275

My journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=152087713&p=1030251623#post1030251623

Originally Posted by bally18 View Post
    Thanks and you're welcome. I appreciate the post.

So 2x20, 3x12 and 4x5 for supplement exercises? I remember them being only 3-4x8-10 and 2-3x15-20 before, did you change them?
    Have you purchased the eBook? If you have, you'll see that it's more in depth than the free information in the original GST thread. That's a slimmed version of the program.

Originally Posted by jeremy1ns View Post
    Im though my first micro and It's great so far Ryan. The 60% days feels light at first but that AMRAP set whips your ass.
    Glad to hear it Jeremy. The first micro is scratching the surface of this program, if that. You're starting a long term program here, and I'll be here to help you when you need it.

Thanks again,

Ryan

BOGO on natural Casein, otherwise known as Cottage Cheese.

Cottage cheese is one of my daily protein sources. If you haven't mixed it with a fruit flavored yogurt and fresh fruit, you're missing out.

9kAddiction is on a distinguished road. (+10) 9kAddiction is on a distinguished road. (+10) 9kAddiction is on a distinguished road. (+10) 9kAddiction is on a distinguished road. (+10) 9kAddiction is on a distinguished road. (+10) 9kAddiction is on a distinguished road. (+10) 9kAddiction is on a distinguished road. (+10) 9kAddiction is on a distinguished road. (+10) 9kAddiction is on a distinguished road. (+10) 9kAddiction is on a distinguished road. (+10) 9kAddiction is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Boss man, I have a question about doing pull-ups on the pull day as my core lift. I was able to hit my body weight (220lbs) + a 15lb dumbell for 4 reps. So that's a total of 235lbs. Now I'm doing Pull Day - Micro 1 today and my question is:

Am I supposed to take 60% of 235lbs and do that for 3 sets of 8 on the assisted pull-up machine? We don't have the resistance bands. Also, does it really matter if I choose pull-ups, chin-ups, or hammer grip pull-ups?

I'm gonna be hitting the gym in less than an hour so the sooner the response the better! Thanks Ryan