bclark96 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Critique my deadlift

Really trying to get my form down. I've succumbed to basically all the incorrect forms in the past that I thought were correct, and I want to put all that behind me. I've watched a lot of tutorials on correct form, and I recorded myself since I can't see my form while I'm doing the exercise. Ignore the swinging motion with my hips. I've never done the deadlift with such a wide angle in my knees and I'm just trying to get comfortable with it.

I also think I pulled up with the bar too far away from my body, as I've read you're basically supposed to drag the bar against your legs. Thanks for watching.

youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BA9V6azXWFY

stevemckenna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) stevemckenna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) stevemckenna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) stevemckenna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) stevemckenna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) stevemckenna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) stevemckenna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) stevemckenna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) stevemckenna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) stevemckenna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) stevemckenna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

It almost looks like you're afraid the bar might scrape your knee and you compensate by distancing your entire body from it.

After watching, it would appear that way, lol.

I think the issue is that I wasn't lifting near my max, and I was so focused on the arch in my back and precise bend in my knees and hips, that I didn't pull it in close enough. I'll have to focus more on really pulling the bar in tomorrow, since that's when I actually deadlift.

mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Looks good. For the most part your keeping the barbell in a straight line throughout your lift which is good. It would be easier to judge if you used more weight, so you have to push those reps and then you'll see how your form really is.

bigbird916 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigbird916 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigbird916 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigbird916 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigbird916 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigbird916 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigbird916 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigbird916 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigbird916 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigbird916 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigbird916 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Don't stall that much.

Grab the bar, bring it mid foot and against your shins, take a deep breath, get down and arch your back, pull your shoulders back and PULL!

Maybe post a video of your 90% max, when your get a good bit of form breakdown.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

-Ben Franklin

My 5/3/1 log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147398093

KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by mtownballer20 View Post
    Looks good. For the most part your keeping the barbell in a straight line throughout your lift which is good. It would be easier to judge if you used more weight, so you have to push those reps and then you'll see how your form really is.
    It doesn't look good at all.

Bar is not moving straight up and down, the bar is wavering back and forth because it has no contact with his legs.

His hips are rising before he lifts, his lower back is doing all the work and the bar is like 3-4 inches away from his legs. Start with the bar touching your shins OP and keep your ass down before you pull and focus on pushing with your legs.

*UPDATED VIDEO*

Added weight. Movements are slow because I want to make sure I'm doing good with form.

I had to do slightly different angle as I did the lifts at a different area. First half is at 225lbs, which I'd say is probably 70% of my 1 rep max (just a guess since I've never done a 1 rep max on deadlift. I'm weak with this exercise so I'm assuming my 1 rep is around 300lb). The second half is 275lbs which is probably at 90%.

The bar was in contact with my legs almost the entire time. I paid very close attention to this. My big concern is that after watching, I feel as though my back might be too rounded? I took a large belly breath in before each rep and tried to focus on arching my shoulders, yet it still looks too rounded. I've never had a great arch in my back to begin with, but I'm wondering if it's TOO rounded?

youtube.com/watch?v=9SL6JJn-PB0&feature=youtu.be

vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Why is the bar so far in front of you in lockout? It looks like your elbows are bent, and your shoulders are not pulled down.

Lifting to Avoid COVID-19 PeterGibbons316's Avatar
    PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by KingOfLimbs View Post
    It doesn't look good at all.

Bar is not moving straight up and down, the bar is wavering back and forth because it has no contact with his legs.

His hips are rising before he lifts, his lower back is doing all the work and the bar is like 3-4 inches away from his legs. Start with the bar touching your shins OP and keep your ass down before you pull and focus on pushing with your legs.
    ^This

Originally Posted by bclark96 View Post
    *UPDATED VIDEO*

Added weight. Movements are slow because I want to make sure I'm doing good with form.

I had to do slightly different angle as I did the lifts at a different area. First half is at 225lbs, which I'd say is probably 70% of my 1 rep max (just a guess since I've never done a 1 rep max on deadlift. I'm weak with this exercise so I'm assuming my 1 rep is around 300lb). The second half is 275lbs which is probably at 90%.

The bar was in contact with my legs almost the entire time. I paid very close attention to this. My big concern is that after watching, I feel as though my back might be too rounded? I took a large belly breath in before each rep and tried to focus on arching my shoulders, yet it still looks too rounded. I've never had a great arch in my back to begin with, but I'm wondering if it's TOO rounded?

edit: 2nd vid is much much better. In the future, don't do anything different than you would normally do for your form check vids. It's much more valuable to you if you just record a workset like you would normally do and let us critique that.
    My Journal (RIP 05/11 - 09/13):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134256491

DIY Plyo Boxes:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151765733

Originally Posted by vampborn View Post
    Why is the bar so far in front of you in lockout? It looks like your elbows are bent, and your shoulders are not pulled down.
    Not sure. The bar was resting on my pelvic area. Ill focus more on my arms next week.

Originally Posted by PeterGibbons316 View Post
    ^This

edit: 2nd vid is much much better. In the future, don't do anything different than you would normally do for your form check vids. It's much more valuable to you if you just record a workset like you would normally do and let us critique that.
    Thanks. Will do. Ever since i got this smart phone i've been slowly taking vids of my various workouts. I always like to know how i can improve on my forms.