OneMoreNight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OneMoreNight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OneMoreNight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OneMoreNight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OneMoreNight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OneMoreNight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OneMoreNight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OneMoreNight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OneMoreNight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OneMoreNight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OneMoreNight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Punching bag size

Hey!

I was thinking of getting myself a punching bag, but not too sure about which size I should get. I googled a bit and found quite a few different theories about it. I don't box or anything like that. I thought it would just be a nice to practice and just beat it when I'm bored, angry or whatever. I'm 6'2" (188cm) and currently weigh 178lbs (81kg) @ ~11% BF. I was hoping that someone with a similar body build would have some experience with a punching bag and would like to share his thoughts.

Cheers

Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I'm close to your size.
    Imo, the bigger the better. I woulnd't bother with one under 100 lbs.

With that said:
    I thought it would just be a nice to practice and just beat it when I'm bored, angry or whatever
    1) Not knowing proper technique, and especially taking out frustrations on the bag, is an injury waiting to happen.
    2) At the very least get hand wraps and a good pair of gloves or don't even bother getting the bag.

smells like Hoppe's #9 cavymeister's Avatar
    cavymeister is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cavymeister is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cavymeister is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cavymeister is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cavymeister is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cavymeister is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cavymeister is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cavymeister is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cavymeister is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cavymeister is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cavymeister is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Blackjack68 View Post
    I'm close to your size.
    Imo, the bigger the better. I woulnd't bother with one under 100 lbs.

With that said:

1) Not knowing proper technique, and especially taking out frustrations on the bag, is an injury waiting to happen.
    2) At the very least get hand wraps and a good pair of gloves or don't even bother getting the bag.
    Strong this. I knew some one that fractured their hands because they just got a bag and started throwing down without wraps. You can find out the specifics on youtube, but I'd recommend taking one lesson to make sure you aren't doing something that you could hurt yourself with. Get some practice MP3's (bas rutten makes a good one), and some 180" (NOT the 108" ones that dicks and sports authority sells) wraps. I like the mexican ones, but it really doesn't make much of a difference.
    Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you. -AW
    Somebody kill the f'ing whales.
    You can have the sunshine, I will take the moonshine

OneMoreNight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OneMoreNight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OneMoreNight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OneMoreNight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OneMoreNight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OneMoreNight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OneMoreNight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OneMoreNight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OneMoreNight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OneMoreNight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OneMoreNight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I forgot to mention that. Of course I will buy gloves and maybe take a lesson from some boxing trainer. As for taking out frustration I meant it in a disciplined way, as for any sport. I did fencing for 7 years and learned very quickly that just raw madness gets nowhere.

Okay so a 100+ pound bag. How about size? In the according weight category my options are from 4,5 to 6 feet (140-180cm).

Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by OneMoreNight View Post
    I forgot to mention that. Of course I will buy gloves and maybe take a lesson from some boxing trainer. As for taking out frustration I meant it in a disciplined way, as for any sport.
    Outstanding!

I did fencing for 7 years and learned very quickly that just raw madness gets nowhere.
    Great sport. I was able to take a couple lessons (20yrs ago) and loved it. Wish I could've done a lot more. I remember at the time, it totally shocked me how much those little, dull blades can hurt

Okay so a 100+ pound bag. How about size? In the according weight category my options are from 4,5 to 6 feet (140-180cm).
    Depends.....
    The 4 footer will have less swing than the others, and will be better for pure boxing. As the bags get longer, they have less resistance up high (head punches), and I personally like the bag to have a lot of resistance/minimal swing wherever I hit it.

The 6 footer is more of a muay thai/banana bag. Less resistance up top, but great for low kicks.

I personally really like the 5 footer (120/130 pounds). Minimal swing, and still long enough for a good range of kicking. If you think you might add some kicking to the workouts at some point, this would probably be a good middle ground.

One other thing worth noting:
    We are talking about a hanging bag from a chain, right? The free-standing bags suck, imo, and so do the stands used to hang a bag supported from the ground. They limit movement and angle of attack too much for me. The only good way to hang a bag is by chains from a garage/basement beam (I've even used a low tree limb in the back yard) where you can freely move around the bag all you want.

Yea, those things can hurt real good. I did epee fencing and occasionally getting hit with the side of the blade to fingers happens, and oh man did that hurt...

The 5 footer seems like a good way to go. Then I'll have a bigger variety of techniques and kicks to try out. And yes, going to hang it from the ceiling. I have a nice strong beam in the ceiling that I can hang it from and about 2,5m (~8 feet) of free space all around it.

Thanks a lot for the input! Really helped me decide!

Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by OneMoreNight View Post
    Hey!

I was thinking of getting myself a punching bag, but not too sure about which size I should get. I googled a bit and found quite a few different theories about it. I don't box or anything like that. I thought it would just be a nice to practice and just beat it when I'm bored, angry or whatever. I'm 6'2" (188cm) and currently weigh 178lbs (81kg) @ ~11% BF. I was hoping that someone with a similar body build would have some experience with a punching bag and would like to share his thoughts.

Cheers
    your size, motivated, get to a real boxing gym ASAP. Worry about your own heavy bag after you join a gym. 100 pounds and up though to answer your question. It's not rocket science like they are making it out..The gym I trained at for amateurs had their Everlast bags for almost a decade, and the golden glove gym I am at now has Balazs Boxing equipment everywhere which is top of the line..Good heavybag 150-250 bucks, gloves 40-100 bucks, good wrist wraps 20-50 bucks, learning the proper way to wrap your wrist and hands......PRICELESS

elina134 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) elina134 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) elina134 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) elina134 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) elina134 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) elina134 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) elina134 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) elina134 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) elina134 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) elina134 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) elina134 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Punching Bag come for boxing come with different sizes, material and colors. If used heavier bag provides more resistance..

kingmode is a name known to all. (+5000) kingmode is a name known to all. (+5000) kingmode is a name known to all. (+5000) kingmode is a name known to all. (+5000) kingmode is a name known to all. (+5000) kingmode is a name known to all. (+5000) kingmode is a name known to all. (+5000) kingmode is a name known to all. (+5000) kingmode is a name known to all. (+5000) kingmode is a name known to all. (+5000) kingmode is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by elina134 View Post
    Punching Bag come for boxing come with different sizes, material and colors. If used heavier bag provides more resistance..
    OP might be dead by now. why do you reply to thread from 2012???
    Basic Football / Sports Training Guide:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172545001

Train smart.