Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Fat Loss Simplified, Videos and Q&A... Ask Me Anything On The Subject Of Fat Loss.

Hello everyone! Memcop has graciously given me an opportunity to share with the Losing Fat forum my videos, experience and insites on the subject of fat loss for everyone. I'll update it regularly with new videos and check the thread daily to answer questions and give advice. Enjoy.

The basics of fat loss:

How to do flexible dieting on the fly with minimal pre-planning and get it perfect every time:

When, how and why you should take breaks from your cutting diet to achieve your long term body composition goals:

Part 1 of a series I will expand on controlling appetite:

A comprehensive explanation of why one need not fear insulin or dietary carbs in their quest for fat loss or body recomposition:

The real role of meal timing (no broscience) in regards to body composition:

Healthy fats... getting around this confusing topic:

BTW if you enjoyed any of these videos please click the like button on them. Youtube uses the likes and dislikes to determine priority on search engines for people looking for a given topic. Thank you.
    Last edited by JasonDB; 10-28-2012 at 09:43 PM.

Crassiest Modulator Alive memcop's Avatar
    memcop has the mod powerz memcop has the mod powerz memcop has the mod powerz memcop has the mod powerz memcop has the mod powerz memcop has the mod powerz memcop has the mod powerz memcop has the mod powerz memcop has the mod powerz memcop has the mod powerz memcop has the mod powerz
    Mod protected.
    Homerotic Modulator, Envious of Idiocy

diesel_3 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) diesel_3 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) diesel_3 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) diesel_3 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) diesel_3 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) diesel_3 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) diesel_3 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) diesel_3 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) diesel_3 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) diesel_3 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) diesel_3 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Great thread.
    Noobs should feel they can voice their questions with confidence, I'm a bulking noob and JasonDB kindly answered all my questions via PM and was very patient with my rookie questions!

Auto Sticky for sure.
    **CAN Army Veteran**
    TF 3-09 Roto 8

JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by memcop View Post
    Mod protected.
    Thank you and I'll do my best to use this thread to help people reach their goals. I think anyone willing to do the work should get results and sometimes they just need a little help to get them going in the right direction to get there.

Originally Posted by diesel_3 View Post
    Great thread.
    Noobs should feel they can voice their questions with confidence, I'm a bulking noob and JasonDB kindly answered all my questions via PM and was very patient with my rookie questions!

Auto Sticky for sure.
    I spend about 2 hours a day between this forum, my youtube and ******** helping people... in addition to advice I give the local bodybuilders, athletes etc at the gym... so I've heard it all. Even if someone is clueless... if they want to learn and are willing to put in the work I am happy try to help them. It is better to ask a question one might feel is dumb or silly than to go on not knowing the answer. I was a 19-year-old fat teen with a 44" waist when I got into training and fitness who had never taken a single nutrition or exercise science course yet and had no clue what I was doing and got a lot of bad advice along the way... I would rather see people get better advice than I was given. LoL

phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    What makes your thread better than josefs?

Just playing bro.

Glad you are kind enough to offer such help and time to people. Good hearted and patient people seem to be rare anymore.
    Only a life lived for others, is a life worthwhile.

Originally Posted by phoenixr2 View Post
    What makes your thread better than josefs?

Just playing bro.

Glad you are kind enough to offer such help and time to people. Good hearted and patient people seem to be rare anymore.
    All good... actually since Josef and I both utilize flexible dieting I am sure there will be a lot of overlap in our answers.

JosefRakichFitness.com JOSEF RAKICH's Avatar
    JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good thread bro!

Skimmed through a few of your vids, perfectly said!

idz21 is just really nice. (+1000) idz21 is just really nice. (+1000) idz21 is just really nice. (+1000) idz21 is just really nice. (+1000) idz21 is just really nice. (+1000) idz21 is just really nice. (+1000) idz21 is just really nice. (+1000) idz21 is just really nice. (+1000) idz21 is just really nice. (+1000) idz21 is just really nice. (+1000) idz21 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Jason, just curious, what do your cuts look like in terms of calories and macros?
    Last edited by memcop; 10-28-2012 at 06:56 PM.

Originally Posted by JOSEF RAKICH View Post
    Good thread bro!

Skimmed through a few of your vids, perfectly said!
    Thanks, and good to have you in here. I've looked through your sticky and you've given a lot of people sound advice. I also know that you got ripped eating McDonald's once a day for awhile which gives me a chuckle thinking of the bros you pissed off.

Originally Posted by idz21 View Post
    Jason, just curious, what do your cuts look like in terms of calories and macros?
    Right now I am slow cutting my macros:
    Approximately 3,000 calories a day
    Protein 200-300g
    Fat 80-120g
    Carbs whatever remains

There is some variation because I don't eat the same foods day to day and have no meal plan.

JEPARK will become famous soon enough. (+50) JEPARK will become famous soon enough. (+50) JEPARK will become famous soon enough. (+50) JEPARK will become famous soon enough. (+50) JEPARK will become famous soon enough. (+50) JEPARK will become famous soon enough. (+50) JEPARK will become famous soon enough. (+50) JEPARK will become famous soon enough. (+50) JEPARK will become famous soon enough. (+50) JEPARK will become famous soon enough. (+50) JEPARK will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    This is awesome thanks Jason. Just want to let you know I'm a subscriber and a huge fan of your videos. Thanks for taking the time out of your life to help strangers like me.

I was hoping you could do a video regarding Keto - is there strong scientific proof supporting maximum fat loss and minimal muscle loss, is following the 60/45/5 fat/protein/carb macronutrient ratio healthy (I know you're a supporter of grams per body weight method rather than percentages lol), and if both above is true, what's the best way to approach the keto diet in a healthy manner?

Thanks Jason

Originally Posted by JEPARK View Post
    This is awesome thanks Jason. Just want to let you know I'm a subscriber and a huge fan of your videos. Thanks for taking the time out of your life to help strangers like me.

I was hoping you could do a video regarding Keto - is there strong scientific proof supporting maximum fat loss and minimal muscle loss, is following the 60/45/5 fat/protein/carb macronutrient ratio healthy (I know you're a supporter of grams per body weight method rather than percentages lol), and if both above is true, what's the best way to approach the keto diet in a healthy manner?

Thanks Jason
    I think ketogenic diets work well for a minority of people to be honest, no there isn't any evidence to their superiority in active individuals... if anything high carb diets are superior for those with more than 6 months of hard training experience in terms of sparing muscle mass. However people starting out obese with blood sugar issues and terrible insulin sensitivity ketogenic diets can be useful for maintaining stable blood sugar levels and controlling appetite however eventually one will reach a level in their fitness where this style of dieting, even with weekly carbups, will have a negative impact on their performance. Yes ketones are muscle sparing but dietary carbs are more muscle sparing in individuals with good muscle insulin sensitivity and dietary carbs do a much better job of fueling intense training than ketones do. I am cutting on 300+g of carbs a day right now, but I'm quite strong by normal gym standards (I can squat 450 and deadlift 550ish... my bench is only around 300 atm though), and my workouts are brutal.

I'll do a video on this topic eventually.

JEPARK will become famous soon enough. (+50) JEPARK will become famous soon enough. (+50) JEPARK will become famous soon enough. (+50) JEPARK will become famous soon enough. (+50) JEPARK will become famous soon enough. (+50) JEPARK will become famous soon enough. (+50) JEPARK will become famous soon enough. (+50) JEPARK will become famous soon enough. (+50) JEPARK will become famous soon enough. (+50) JEPARK will become famous soon enough. (+50) JEPARK will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by JasonDB View Post
    I think ketogenic diets work well for a minority of people to be honest, no there isn't any evidence to their superiority in active individuals... if anything high carb diets are superior for those with more than 6 months of hard training experience in terms of sparing muscle mass. However people starting out obese with blood sugar issues and terrible insulin sensitivity ketogenic diets can be useful for maintaining stable blood sugar levels and controlling appetite however eventually one will reach a level in their fitness where this style of dieting, even with weekly carbups, will have a negative impact on their performance. Yes ketones are muscle sparing but dietary carbs are more muscle sparing in individuals with good muscle insulin sensitivity and dietary carbs do a much better job of fueling intense training than ketones do. I am cutting on 300+g of carbs a day right now, but I'm quite strong by normal gym standards (I can squat 450 and deadlift 550ish... my bench is only around 300 atm though), and my workouts are brutal.

I'll do a video on this topic eventually.
    Thanks for the reply. I look forward to the video.

I am doing the Keto diet because I want to speed up my fat loss. I started out cutting from 260lb and now I'm 230lb after 3 months. The first 2 months I loss about 25lb. I started Keto this month and only lost 5lb with no change in the past 2 weeks. So it's either Keto isn't right for me or I hit a stall since I'm consuming only 1,500 cal per day as a 6'1 20yr male. You might say that's too much of a deficit but there are some people that achieved fantastic results with such a deficit. My plan is to continue Keto for another week and see if anything improves, if not then I'm going to follow your advice of doing the 2 week maintenance and go back to 1,500 cal per day. Do you think this is an appropriate strategy?

Thanks for the reply. I look forward to the video.

I am doing the Keto diet because I want to speed up my fat loss. I started out cutting from 260lb and now I'm 230lb after 3 months. The first 2 months I loss about 25lb. I started Keto this month and only lost 5lb with no change in the past 2 weeks. So it's either Keto isn't right for me or I hit a stall since I'm consuming only 1,500 cal per day as a 6'1 20yr male. You might say that's too much of a deficit but there are some people that achieved fantastic results with such a deficit. My plan is to continue Keto for another week and see if anything improves, if not then I'm going to follow your advice of doing the 2 week maintenance and go back to 1,500 cal per day. Do you think this is an appropriate strategy?
    You've already lost 30 lbs of fat and are training hard and you lost that fat on a non-ketogenic diet. I would say keto is not the way to go for you. If you are not losing on 1500 calories or even need to go that low a diet break would be strongly advised right now. Low carb diets are notorious for slowing T4 to T3 conversion and you probably have some thyroid function reduction from losing 30 lbs in 3 months already. Ketogenic diets do not show superior or inferior fat burning when studies are done carefully and in a controled environment where meals are observed and weighed by the researchers rather than self-reported data... they can offer appetite and blood sugar control advantages for some individuals. In non-athletic populations the non-protein calories seem pretty interchangable in terms of impact on fat loss. In athletic individuals higher carb diets show indirect advantages due to their muscle and performance sparing benefits.

1500 calories is insanely low for 230 lbs male.

You've already lost 30 lbs of fat and are training hard and you lost that fat on a non-ketogenic diet. I would say keto is not the way to go for you. If you are not losing on 1500 calories or even need to go that low a diet break would be strongly advised right now. Low carb diets are notorious for slowing T4 to T3 conversion and you probably have some thyroid function reduction from losing 30 lbs in 3 months already. Ketogenic diets do not show superior or inferior fat burning when studies are done carefully and in a controled environment where meals are observed and weighed by the researchers rather than self-reported data... they can offer appetite and blood sugar control advantages for some individuals. In non-athletic populations the non-protein calories seem pretty interchangable in terms of impact on fat loss. In athletic individuals higher carb diets show indirect advantages due to their muscle and performance sparing benefits.

1500 calories is insanely low for 230 lbs male.
    Well I guess it's time to cut my losses. A whole month wasted feelsbadman.jpg

What were your recommended macros again? I forgot what video it was in.

I believe it was 1g of protein per lb of body weight, but I forgot the fat and carbohydrates.

Excited to finally eat rice again haha. Oh and re watching that video of you eating the fried chicken. I'm having that tomorrow.

JosefRakichFitness.com JOSEF RAKICH's Avatar
    JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks, and good to have you in here. I've looked through your sticky and you've given a lot of people sound advice. I also know that you got ripped eating McDonald's once a day for awhile which gives me a chuckle thinking of the bros you pissed off.
    Yup sure did, and pizza and ice-cream. Ohh the love of IIFYM.

It sure is funny when the bro's simply cannot get there head around IIFYM principle..

Well I guess it's time to cut my losses. A whole month wasted feelsbadman.jpg

What were your recommended macros again? I forgot what video it was in.

I believe it was 1g of protein per lb of body weight, but I forgot the fat and carbohydrates.

Excited to finally eat rice again haha. Oh and re watching that video of you eating the fried chicken. I'm having that tomorrow.
    1g of protein per lbs of bw, .45g of fat per lbs of bodyweight (as you are still not lean you can go as low as .4g here) however these are your minimums fill the remaining calories however you wish, you have no carb minimums but I recommend filling the majority of those remaining calories with carbs. Don't try to hit the exact same carb/fat/protein every day to the exact gram... you'll drive yourself nuts and 20-30g a day variation among them day to day will make absolutely no difference in your physique or fat loss if calories are the same.

Originally Posted by JOSEF RAKICH View Post
    Yup sure did, and pizza and ice-cream. Ohh the love of IIFYM.

It sure is funny when the bro's simply cannot get there head around IIFYM principle..
    It is because they really want to believe that eating "healthy" or "clean" or that their discipline regarding food avoidance over the years has not been in vain. However the reality is, it has been, the science shows they only got those results due to calories and macros not food choices and there are thousands of people who have used flexible dieting to get ripped to the bone and even earn their natty pro cards in bodybuilding.

People want to feel superior over their food choices and their diet "I'm a vegetarian", "I eat paleo", "I eat clean" to seperate themselves from normal people. People want there to be specific foods to blame for fat gains or loss rather than their intake. People want to be told they can eat unlimited or much higher calories from one food or another and still lose fat. The media, magazine and book writers and fitness gurus alike all play on this desire. However this desire is not grounded in reality.

SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Great thread Jason.
    Training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160275721&pagenumber=

clintew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great videos, thanks for posting them!

idz21 is just really nice. (+1000) idz21 is just really nice. (+1000) idz21 is just really nice. (+1000) idz21 is just really nice. (+1000) idz21 is just really nice. (+1000) idz21 is just really nice. (+1000) idz21 is just really nice. (+1000) idz21 is just really nice. (+1000) idz21 is just really nice. (+1000) idz21 is just really nice. (+1000) idz21 is just really nice. (+1000)

Right now I am slow cutting my macros:
    Approximately 3,000 calories a day
    Protein 200-300g
    Fat 80-120g
    Carbs whatever remains

There is some variation because I don't eat the same foods day to day and have no meal plan.
    Is the 200+ grams of protein simply to control appetite? I know in one vid you mentioned being a big eater.

Originally Posted by idz21 View Post
    Is the 200+ grams of protein simply to control appetite? I know in one vid you mentioned being a big eater.
    I recommend bumping protein slightly above normal recommendations of 1 lbs per gram of bw when cutting as it can be muscle preserving (along with the nice bonus of satiation) after Eric Helms was discussing that his research shows in lean athletes 2.4g per kg of bw seems to yield optimal lbm preservation. Outside of that I tend to focus heavily on carbs as carbs tend to be extremely muscle sparing in a deficit by their very nature both directly and indirectly.

...and Carlysdaddy camdensdaddy's Avatar
    camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'm not really sure if this would be the place for it, but it says, "anything about fat loss." I'm currently taking a child development course at college and we're supposed to be developing a tool for kids or parents to utilize to teach their kids about the causes and cures for obesity. I realize that it's mostly calories in vs. calories out, but I was wondering if you had any links for good peer-reviewed articles on obesity and fat loss as well as any ideas for obesity prevention tools for kids and parents. I hear on here how the food pyramid is a joke so I was wondering if you...or anybody else reading this...had any better ideas. I'm not asking for anyone to do my work, just help me generate some ideas and/or provide me with some scholarly reading material.

Originally Posted by camdensdaddy View Post
    I'm not really sure if this would be the place for it, but it says, "anything about fat loss." I'm currently taking a child development course at college and we're supposed to be developing a tool for kids or parents to utilize to teach their kids about the causes and cures for obesity. I realize that it's mostly calories in vs. calories out, but I was wondering if you had any links for good peer-reviewed articles on obesity and fat loss as well as any ideas for obesity prevention tools for kids and parents. I hear on here how the food pyramid is a joke so I was wondering if you...or anybody else reading this...had any better ideas. I'm not asking for anyone to do my work, just help me generate some ideas and/or provide me with some scholarly reading material.
    I would ask the nutrition main forum for peer reviews in this area there are many pub med ninjas there. However for obesity prevention in children I would lean towards promotion of physical activity rather than food avoidance or caloric restriction.

...and Carlysdaddy camdensdaddy's Avatar
    camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I would ask the nutrition main forum for peer reviews in this area there are many pub med ninjas there. However for obesity prevention in children I would lean towards promotion of physical activity rather than food avoidance or caloric restriction.
    That makes sense and I agree...We want to prevent obesity not give kids an eating disorder. lol. I'll check with the nutrition forum. Thanks.

Hey Jason, I recalculated my goals for fat loss.

Again I am 20yr 6'1 230lb male who lifts 3 days and does cardio 2 days per week.
    It seems I need about 3000 calories a day to maintain so I set my target at 2000 calories per day which brings my macros to:

2000cal/day

Protein: 225g (45%)
    Fat: 89g (40%)
    Carb: 75g (15%)

Do you recommend this plan and are there any adjustments you feel should be made?

Also I find I'm having trouble hitting my protein even with help of protein powder without going over my carbs and sometimes fats. I could up my beef intake, but that's getting pricey.

Thanks a bunch Jason!!!

Hey Jason, I recalculated my goals for fat loss.

Again I am 20yr 6'1 230lb male who lifts 3 days and does cardio 2 days per week.
    It seems I need about 3000 calories a day to maintain so I set my target at 2000 calories per day which brings my macros to:

2000cal/day

Protein: 225g (45%)
    Fat: 89g (40%)
    Carb: 75g (15%)

Do you recommend this plan and are there any adjustments you feel should be made?

Also I find I'm having trouble hitting my protein even with help of protein powder without going over my carbs and sometimes fats. I could up my beef intake, but that's getting pricey.

Thanks a bunch Jason!!!
    Your deficit is too large imo. I would not go over a 20% deficit unless you really know what you are doing in terms of training and nutrition and you will slow your metabolism down pretty quickly on 2k. I would bump to 2400 and fill all those remaining calories with carbs for your training.

Smile

Your deficit is too large imo. I would not go over a 20% deficit unless you really know what you are doing in terms of training and nutrition and you will slow your metabolism down pretty quickly on 2k. I would bump to 2400 and fill all those remaining calories with carbs for your training.
    At a TEE of 3,000 wouldn't a 20% deficit(600/cal day) only allow me to lose 1.2lb/week?

Please excuse my desire to lose 100/lb per month lol. Just sick of being fat. I'll follow your advice and will post results and we can adjust from there.

Russhop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Red face Noob question

You've probably answered this, but for a newbie, how can I lose fat and build muscle at the same time? I want to build muscle, but at high 20% body fat, need help there too.
    I have been training with weights for three months and gave seen some growth, but I need to drop the fat too, which doesn't seem to be working.
    I have been told that you shouldn't do cardio as well as weights, its one or the orher, but us that true?

Originally Posted by Russhop View Post
    You've probably answered this, but for a newbie, how can I lose fat and build muscle at the same time? I want to build muscle, but at high 20% body fat, need help there too.
    I have been training with weights for three months and gave seen some growth, but I need to drop the fat too, which doesn't seem to be working.
    I have been told that you shouldn't do cardio as well as weights, its one or the orher, but us that true?
    As a newbie you are one of the few people who can gain make good progress in both at the same time.

-As you are a little heavier than what I term a skinnyfat (whom I advise to clean bulk) rather than a surplus eat at maintence calories with at least 1 gram of protein per lbs of body weight and .45g of fat per lbs of body weight, filling remaining calories to preference with a strong carb bias.

-Get on a heavy progressive overload based barbell routine (I have one in the workout program stickies... with a thread answering questions about it).

You can probably successfully recomp this way for a few months. If you use a bad routine or insufficient diet you vastly reduce the chance of success here.

EddyCutting will become famous soon enough. (+50) EddyCutting will become famous soon enough. (+50) EddyCutting will become famous soon enough. (+50) EddyCutting will become famous soon enough. (+50) EddyCutting will become famous soon enough. (+50) EddyCutting will become famous soon enough. (+50) EddyCutting will become famous soon enough. (+50) EddyCutting will become famous soon enough. (+50) EddyCutting will become famous soon enough. (+50) EddyCutting will become famous soon enough. (+50) EddyCutting will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have one very easily to answer question.

Let's say one person is quite heavy in weight and has a low energy output. This means that his TDEE is quite low, but his protein and fat requirements are quite high.
    This person also has an relatively high fat percentage and is cutting on a 3 day full body workout.
    For this person to eat to the high end of the protein intake spectrum and fat intake spectrum, it's almost impossible to eat foods he likes. Having most of his macro intake from protein and fat.
    What would the impact be for this person to lower the protein intake and/or fat intake and up the carb intake, having the same calorie intake but less protein/fat.

Would this impact the Fat/LBM ratio to a point that it's actually negative to body composition? What would u do in this case?

Originally Posted by EddyCutting View Post
    I have one very easily to answer question.

Let's say one person is quite heavy in weight and has a low energy output. This means that his TDEE is quite low, but his protein and fat requirements are quite high.
    This person also has an relatively high fat percentage and is cutting on a 3 day full body workout.
    For this person to eat to the high end of the protein intake spectrum and fat intake spectrum, it's almost impossible to eat foods he likes. Having most of his macro intake from protein and fat.
    What would the impact be for this person to lower the protein intake and/or fat intake and up the carb intake, having the same calorie intake but less protein/fat.

Would this impact the Fat/LBM ratio to a point that it's actually negative to body composition? What would u do in this case?
    For this individual I would assume they have a very high body fat percentage in which case I would adjust the minimum fat and protein numbers off their goal body weight intead as well as increase their physical activity. Otherwise this person risks being on a low carb diet continually, which is something I am not particularly a fan of for most people or at least not beyond their first few months trying to get into shape. Do whatever it takes to get more carbs in this person by manipulating the above.