cevers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bloated During Bulking Program

This is my first post, so go easy on me...

Here's a quick background - I'm 34 years old, male, 6'7" 230-ish lb 15% body fat. I've been lifting regularly 4-5 times/week for 3 years now, play basketball 2x per week, and was having trouble adding muscle and getting stronger. I eat very clean, have experimented with different different calorie/macro combinations along with different workout routines and wasn't really getitng anywhere, even losing weight at times. I looked fit and but I wanted some more muscle and I wanted to be stronger in general.

I decided to give the Muscle Pharm "Get Swole" routine a try. I liked how specific it was about the diet and workout regimen, and I like the MP products. I am 9 weeks into the program (just started phase 3) and here's what I am seeing:

I started at 231lb, I am up to 243lb
    I am adding muscle - arms are bigger, pecs are more defined, legs and shoulders too
    I am getting stronger - seeing movement in all muscle groups
    I feel pudgier in my stomach and sides, but my clothes still fit

My problem is that I feel like I am constantly eating more than I should be, but I am following the program to a tee. I'm never hungry anymore. Maybe this is normal for a bulking program (I don't know since I've never done one), but the diet/meal program was designed for a 185lb man and I am struggling to put down so much food. I constantly feel full and bloated, and I am starting to feel the fat around my stomach area when I sit down. I know the last 4 weeks geared towards the cut/shred so I'm sure I'll be able to get rid of it. I did the Bizzy program before a vacation last year and I cut 12lb of fat and water within a 2 week period so I'm not too worried about the extra weight. I know the purpose of this program is to put on some weight.

I guess I'm just looking for some feedback on the constantly eating, never hungry, full, bloated, fatty fat fat feelings that I am having. Is this kind of thing normal during a bulk? I've mixed it up and tried different protein (chicken, bison, steak, turkey, tuna, tilapia) and carb sources (brown rice, oatmeal, quinoa, sweet potatoes, potatoes, black beans) and I still feel the same.

Thanks in advance for any advice -

Chris

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yes you will feel bloated when you bulk. You should be eating for YOUR macros/calorie needs, not what some cookie cutter program thinks you should be.
    OG

Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by cevers View Post
    This is my first post, so go easy on me...

Here's a quick background - I'm 34 years old, male, 6'7" 230-ish lb 15% body fat. I've been lifting regularly 4-5 times/week for 3 years now, play basketball 2x per week, and was having trouble adding muscle and getting stronger. I eat very clean, have experimented with different different calorie/macro combinations along with different workout routines and wasn't really getitng anywhere, even losing weight at times. I looked fit and but I wanted some more muscle and I wanted to be stronger in general.

I decided to give the Muscle Pharm "Get Swole" routine a try. I liked how specific it was about the diet and workout regimen, and I like the MP products. I am 9 weeks into the program (just started phase 3) and here's what I am seeing:

I started at 231lb, I am up to 243lb
    I am adding muscle - arms are bigger, pecs are more defined, legs and shoulders too
    I am getting stronger - seeing movement in all muscle groups
    I feel pudgier in my stomach and sides, but my clothes still fit

My problem is that I feel like I am constantly eating more than I should be, but I am following the program to a tee. I'm never hungry anymore. Maybe this is normal for a bulking program (I don't know since I've never done one), but the diet/meal program was designed for a 185lb man and I am struggling to put down so much food. I constantly feel full and bloated, and I am starting to feel the fat around my stomach area when I sit down. I know the last 4 weeks geared towards the cut/shred so I'm sure I'll be able to get rid of it. I did the Bizzy program before a vacation last year and I cut 12lb of fat and water within a 2 week period so I'm not too worried about the extra weight. I know the purpose of this program is to put on some weight.

I guess I'm just looking for some feedback on the constantly eating, never hungry, full, bloated, fatty fat fat feelings that I am having. Is this kind of thing normal during a bulk? I've mixed it up and tried different protein (chicken, bison, steak, turkey, tuna, tilapia) and carb sources (brown rice, oatmeal, quinoa, sweet potatoes, potatoes, black beans) and I still feel the same.

Thanks in advance for any advice -

Chris
    Idk what the program is but you do sound like you could be eating a little too much. You should never feel hungry but you shouldn't be feeling full all the time.

Thanks guys. I needed something cookie cutter for the first time. Once I make it through this program I will definitely work on a nutrition plan that is more customized to me if I decide to do it again.

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks guys. I needed something cookie cutter for the first time. Once I make it through this program I will definitely work on a nutrition plan that is more customized to me if I decide to do it again.
    a cookie cutter program like Starting Strength is good. a cookie cutter diet...is not.
    OG

DevinRob is on a distinguished road. (+10) DevinRob is on a distinguished road. (+10) DevinRob is on a distinguished road. (+10) DevinRob is on a distinguished road. (+10) DevinRob is on a distinguished road. (+10) DevinRob is on a distinguished road. (+10) DevinRob is on a distinguished road. (+10) DevinRob is on a distinguished road. (+10) DevinRob is on a distinguished road. (+10) DevinRob is on a distinguished road. (+10) DevinRob is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Cookie cutter programs can work, if you adjust the nutrition aspect to cover your TDEE. You can calculate the ratios they are using for Protein / Carbs / Fats and then apply those ratios to your diet - but you need to know your TDEE for it to maximize the benefit for you.

Originally Posted by Jasonk282 View Post
    a cookie cutter program like Starting Strength is good. a cookie cutter diet...is not.
    Understood.

Here are the macros for the current phase of the program. What are your thoughts given my current size and weight (6'7" 243lb)?

This is split up into 6 small meals every 2-3 hours.

3500 calories
    40% protein (340-350 g)
    30% carb (250-270 g)
    30% fat (115-125 g)

Thanks again

DevinRob is on a distinguished road. (+10) DevinRob is on a distinguished road. (+10) DevinRob is on a distinguished road. (+10) DevinRob is on a distinguished road. (+10) DevinRob is on a distinguished road. (+10) DevinRob is on a distinguished road. (+10) DevinRob is on a distinguished road. (+10) DevinRob is on a distinguished road. (+10) DevinRob is on a distinguished road. (+10) DevinRob is on a distinguished road. (+10) DevinRob is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Understood.

Here are the macros for the current phase of the program. What are your thoughts given my current size and weight (6'7" 243lb)?

This is split up into 6 small meals every 2-3 hours.

3500 calories
    40% protein (340-350 g)
    30% carb (250-270 g)
    30% fat (115-125 g)

Thanks again
    What do you do for your job? I was bulking at around 3,800 - 4,200 and work a desk job 5 days a week. (6'7" starting at 245 lbs)
    Your protein intake is a bit high and you should probably drop it down and raise your carbs.

Originally Posted by DevinRob View Post
    What do you do for your job? I was bulking at around 3,800 - 4,200 and work a desk job 5 days a week. (6'7" starting at 245 lbs)
    Your protein intake is a bit high and you should probably drop it down and raise your carbs.
    I also have a desk job.

I had to work up to 3,800 to 4,200 calories per day. I was full eating 3,200 then moved up to 3,500, then kept moving up until I hit a calorie level where I started to gain weight. That was my indicator to stop adding calories. I'd given each calorie increase a couple weeks to see if it made a difference.

Now that I'm cutting, I notice the missing calories. My cut is about 2,800.

As for the bloat, are you taking creatine or eating anything that would cause you retain water?

Originally Posted by DevinRob View Post
    I had to work up to 3,800 to 4,200 calories per day. I was full eating 3,200 then moved up to 3,500, then kept moving up until I hit a calorie level where I started to gain weight. That was my indicator to stop adding calories. I'd given each calorie increase a couple weeks to see if it made a difference.

Now that I'm cutting, I notice the missing calories. My cut is about 2,800.

As for the bloat, are you taking creatine or eating anything that would cause you retain water?
    I've been steadily gaining weight on this diet so I assume I am getting enough calories. I'm not trying to blow up too much...I want to maintain agility for my basketball leagues. I'm taking 5g of monohydrate 1x per day....but I was doing that before the bulk and had no issues. I've tried several different protein powders too just to make sure I wasn't having a GI reaction to something in the protein. I think my symptoms are probably just par for the course. I only have 4 weeks until I begin the cut, I think I can make it.

Thank you again for the help!

gerb007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerb007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerb007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerb007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerb007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerb007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerb007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerb007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerb007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerb007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerb007 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You are likely feeling bloated and overly full due to the current macros that you are consuming. As was said before you really don't need that much protein and faster digesting carbs would digest much faster than that protein and allow you to not feel constantly full. I personally bulk on 1g protein per lb of body weight and .5g fat per lb of body weight and the rest carbs. Despite what people say you don't need every carb you eat to be long acting brown rice and oats, these are known to increase satiety and decrease your appetite because of the slow digestion. Get some fast acting carbs in there such as juices, milk, fruits and even some sugar to increase your cals without filling you up as much as that much protein. For your current calories I'd recommend roughly the following macros: 245P, 440C, 120F = 3580cals

Just a suggestion. May help with your bulk and allow you to not feel so full and bloated throughout.

P.S. At the height of my most recent bulk at about 220lbs I was consuming over 4300cals per day, so 3500 for your height and weight is really not too much.

Originally Posted by gerb007 View Post
    P.S. At the height of my most recent bulk at about 220lbs I was consuming over 4300cals per day, so 3500 for your height and weight is really not too much.
    This^ I'm amywhere between 30-3600 depending how i feel.
    OG

Just a suggestion. May help with your bulk and allow you to not feel so full and bloated throughout.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated