SterDurgs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Front Squat vs Back Squat

Today I front squatted 1 rep max 195 lbs ass to grass, I was wondering what would be 1 rep max for a back squat.
    The reason I ask this is because I haven't back squatted in forever just because my training program only included front squats. I tried to back squat the other day but I could barely handle 95 lbs because I wasn't use to the weight being behind my neck.

1. Has anyone else had an issue going from front squats to back squats?

2. How much harder is front squats compared to back squats?

3. Is there a way to convert weight from front squat to back squat and vice versa?
    "Someone told me the definition of hell: The last day you have on earth, the person you became, meets the person you could of become"

I am a late bloomer, I grew 14 inches in the last 5 years.
    I am a newbie, I only started lifting last spring.
    03/01/13: 6'1, 156
    08/01/13: 6'1, 178
    (hockey season)
    03/07/14: 6'1, 175
    05/19/14: 6'1, 185
    Goal: 08/01/14: 190 or >

"Every scar has a story"

MikeTheBiceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MikeTheBiceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MikeTheBiceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MikeTheBiceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MikeTheBiceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MikeTheBiceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MikeTheBiceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MikeTheBiceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MikeTheBiceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MikeTheBiceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MikeTheBiceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Wondering the same. Mine back squat is about 100 lbs more then front

unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by SterDurgs View Post
    Today I front squatted 1 rep max 195 lbs ass to grass, I was wondering what would be 1 rep max for a back squat.
    The reason I ask this is because I haven't back squatted in forever just because my training program only included front squats. I tried to back squat the other day but I could barely handle 95 lbs because I wasn't use to the weight being behind my neck.

3. Is there a way to convert weight from front squat to back squat and vice versa?
    You can pretty safely assume that you can do 195 back squatting if you can do that much front squatting. How much more, who knows. It depends how strong your posterior chain is, which gets activated much more in a properly performed back squat. If your posterior chain is weak and your quads are strong, your back squat will probably not be that much higher. If your posterior chain is strong and your quads have been your weak point, the difference can be significant.

Just try it out and see. Work up to 195 and try to go beyond. Make sure you are keeping your form in check.

SweatsR15 is not very well liked. (-100) SweatsR15 is not very well liked. (-100) SweatsR15 is not very well liked. (-100) SweatsR15 is not very well liked. (-100) SweatsR15 is not very well liked. (-100) SweatsR15 is not very well liked. (-100) SweatsR15 is not very well liked. (-100) SweatsR15 is not very well liked. (-100) SweatsR15 is not very well liked. (-100) SweatsR15 is not very well liked. (-100) SweatsR15 is not very well liked. (-100)
    1. Not from front to back, but definitely the other way around
    2. In my opinion, much harder. Have a terrible time with the grip and I tend to feel hunched at times. Back squat just seems so much more comfortable, feel more powerful, less issues with my back.
    3. Not really, nah
    Current Max/Goal

Bench- 270/300
    Squat- 355x6/450
    Deadlift- 420/450

Weight- 151/165

Pounds Left to Gain: All of them

butes is on a distinguished road. (+10) butes is on a distinguished road. (+10) butes is on a distinguished road. (+10) butes is on a distinguished road. (+10) butes is on a distinguished road. (+10) butes is on a distinguished road. (+10) butes is on a distinguished road. (+10) butes is on a distinguished road. (+10) butes is on a distinguished road. (+10) butes is on a distinguished road. (+10) butes is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If you arent used to doing one or the other, it is going to take time to get used to it. Front squats are usually harder since your posterior chain is used not as much.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz

No. At least not after a week or two to get acclimated to the differences in the two lifts.

Who can say? It'll vary from one trainee to another.

Yes. Put some weight on the bar and then try to Squat it IRL.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

VanillaBearB is a name known to all. (+5000) VanillaBearB is a name known to all. (+5000) VanillaBearB is a name known to all. (+5000) VanillaBearB is a name known to all. (+5000) VanillaBearB is a name known to all. (+5000) VanillaBearB is a name known to all. (+5000) VanillaBearB is a name known to all. (+5000) VanillaBearB is a name known to all. (+5000) VanillaBearB is a name known to all. (+5000) VanillaBearB is a name known to all. (+5000) VanillaBearB is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I must be the only one that prefers Front Squats - i'd never back squat if I was able to find a good substitute!

Front squats seem so much more natural to me, if I was trying to push something and drive with my legs then my arms would be in front of me pushing too, not behind my head.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165717061

Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by VanillaBearB View Post
    I must be the only one that prefers Front Squats - i'd never back squat if I was able to find a good substitute!

Front squats seem so much more natural to me, if I was trying to push something and drive with my legs then my arms would be in front of me pushing too, not behind my head.
    x2

You're not the only one! Totally agree that front squats feel much more natural. While the load is less than on back squats, the movement, as you say, is much more functional. I feel like a front squat is more transferrable to real world activities and that the best functional movement for the posterior chain is the deadlift.

SterDurgs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I totally agree, front squats are a very natural movement for myself.
    "Someone told me the definition of hell: The last day you have on earth, the person you became, meets the person you could of become"

I am a late bloomer, I grew 14 inches in the last 5 years.
    I am a newbie, I only started lifting last spring.
    03/01/13: 6'1, 156
    08/01/13: 6'1, 178
    (hockey season)
    03/07/14: 6'1, 175
    05/19/14: 6'1, 185
    Goal: 08/01/14: 190 or >

"Every scar has a story"

YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Im totally the opposite, have never tried fromt squats but would like to, mainly been doing back squats and pause squats, which i feel i mastered my form pretty well except a litrle butt wink sometimes.

Definitely gonna try front squats this week 5x5. Anyone recommend hands crossed or straight with wrists bent back?

Also what weight u recomend i start at? I usually end back squats with 240 5th set progressing weight each set

Message Board King DoWorkSon515's Avatar
    DoWorkSon515 is just really nice. (+1000) DoWorkSon515 is just really nice. (+1000) DoWorkSon515 is just really nice. (+1000) DoWorkSon515 is just really nice. (+1000) DoWorkSon515 is just really nice. (+1000) DoWorkSon515 is just really nice. (+1000) DoWorkSon515 is just really nice. (+1000) DoWorkSon515 is just really nice. (+1000) DoWorkSon515 is just really nice. (+1000) DoWorkSon515 is just really nice. (+1000) DoWorkSon515 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I worked up to a 315x5 back squat then I felt pain in my knees after every squat session so I transitioned to front squats which negated that and also helped me bring up my lagging quads. The movement feels much more natural for me as well.

I started at 185x10 front squats and I'm currently at 250x8 beltless. Hoping to hit 315 for a rep or two soon. The carryover to back squats isn't amazing. I tried going back a few weeks ago (when my max front squat was around 245 for 6). I hit 295 for 6 or 7 reps, which is about where I was before when consistently training them. When I hit a 315 front squat I'd like to try a 405 back squat for fun but I'd definitely have to relearn the movement.
    *got windows tinted to pick nose while driving crew*
    *waits in car until jacked guys leave the gym crew*
    *spends 2 hours on hair before getting a haircut crew*
    *scared to buy protein powder in person crew*
    *curls more than he benches crew*

sohei will become famous soon enough. (+50) sohei will become famous soon enough. (+50) sohei will become famous soon enough. (+50) sohei will become famous soon enough. (+50) sohei will become famous soon enough. (+50) sohei will become famous soon enough. (+50) sohei will become famous soon enough. (+50) sohei will become famous soon enough. (+50) sohei will become famous soon enough. (+50) sohei will become famous soon enough. (+50) sohei will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    @ Yolked - if your top set is with 240 and have never done front squats I'd prob just start with 135 and see how it feels. I like the crossed arms version better cause I can rest the bar on delts and feel like I have more control.

@OP - We obviously have a different definition of forever but, if you have been lifting less than a year and are having a big issue transitioning to back squats, assuming they were part of a previous program you did, it's probably an issue with form rather than just with the transition. Most people find front squats more difficult but a large part of it is most of us were raised on back squats and rarely try to go heavy on front squats. Front squats do translate a little better into "real world" application, and are a great exercise though typically you cannot use nearly the same weight as you can on back squats. And no, there is no conversion formula.
    <Heavy Hitters Crew>

Better than the day before.

IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Obviously it's just "different," if it were a harder version of the same exercise then a 195 front squat would give you a pretty beastly back squat, yet it hasn't done that.

Apparently not, judging by your experience.

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Totally different movements.

SAID Principle = specific adaptation to imposed demand.

Your back squat is weak because you "haven't back squatted in forever". That's just amazing.

If you back squatted four plates(405lbs), and never front squatted, you might not manage 195lbs, or even 95lbs when you first tried it.

1. I've just switched from box squats to front squat and high bar Olympic style squat. They both suck. An example of SAID.

2. Totally different movement. That's like saying what's harder, the goodmorning or the deadlift. They are both hard when the load is heavy enough.

3. No. You are good at what you have been training progressively in for a long enough time. You suck at what you haven't been training "in forever".

As a rule of thumb, because it uses a hell of a lot more legs, but a hell of a lot less posterior chain, poundage potential for the front squat is lower than for back squat. Doesn't stop Dan Green, the Boss, front squatting 600lbs for a double.
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

Beyond novice, 5 3 1 or see above:)

Unless it is obvious to anyone who isn't blind that you lift weights, you might still benefit from a little more attention to big basic barbell exercises for enough reps:).

YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by sohei View Post
    @ Yolked - if your top set is with 240 and have never done front squats I'd prob just start with 135 and see how it feels. I like the crossed arms version better cause I can rest the bar on delts and feel like I have more control.

@OP - We obviously have a different definition of forever but, if you have been lifting less than a year and are having a big issue transitioning to back squats, assuming they were part of a previous program you did, it's probably an issue with form rather than just with the transition. Most people find front squats more difficult but a large part of it is most of us were raised on back squats and rarely try to go heavy on front squats. Front squats do translate a little better into "real world" application, and are a great exercise though typically you cannot use nearly the same weight as you can on back squats. And no, there is no conversion formula.
    Thanks man will do

LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

I front squat 210lbs, high bar 250, no idea what I low bar but it's def higher than both front and high squats.

Most people back squat twice their front squats. People who front squat regularly can get up to 90% of their back squat.
    Gym lifts: 260/130/285
    Meet lifts: 245/130/285

Coming back after injury journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169273893