Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    nocluebro will become famous soon enough. (+50) nocluebro will become famous soon enough. (+50) nocluebro will become famous soon enough. (+50) nocluebro will become famous soon enough. (+50) nocluebro will become famous soon enough. (+50) nocluebro will become famous soon enough. (+50) nocluebro will become famous soon enough. (+50) nocluebro will become famous soon enough. (+50) nocluebro will become famous soon enough. (+50) nocluebro will become famous soon enough. (+50) nocluebro will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i do a bit of screenwriting here and there, mostly just for fun, i don't expect to make a career out of it. but i would if the opportunity presented itself.
    Back in da green. Justice!

*MISC haiku poem brah*
    *Does requests*
    *Nobody cares doe*

Dr._S._Colbert is a name known to all. (+5000) Dr._S._Colbert is a name known to all. (+5000) Dr._S._Colbert is a name known to all. (+5000) Dr._S._Colbert is a name known to all. (+5000) Dr._S._Colbert is a name known to all. (+5000) Dr._S._Colbert is a name known to all. (+5000) Dr._S._Colbert is a name known to all. (+5000) Dr._S._Colbert is a name known to all. (+5000) Dr._S._Colbert is a name known to all. (+5000) Dr._S._Colbert is a name known to all. (+5000) Dr._S._Colbert is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Toledous View Post
    Brb I work for a production company in Burbank. Brb I can submit scripts...brb brb i'm your only hope...srs
    I have a script about a mega shark and mega dolphin duking it out beneath the ocean(and later on land - they can breathe out of water, that's the twist). Drop me a line if you're interested.

CEO - Vandelay Industries viennafat's Avatar
    viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ^ Sounds like a blockbuster brah.

Oh and I'm in.

Been interested in and have been writing since I was in high school. Never did anything with it, though.
    Funny enough I'm now working on a script and another story I think would make a good TV show (drama).
    Once I finish the script, I don't even know what I will do with it.
    What I was doing is collecting addresses of producers and production companies and was thinking of sending it in as a first step.
    Architect, Marine Biologist, Importer-Exporter, Latex Manufacturing.

Toledous is just really nice. (+1000) Toledous is just really nice. (+1000) Toledous is just really nice. (+1000) Toledous is just really nice. (+1000) Toledous is just really nice. (+1000) Toledous is just really nice. (+1000) Toledous is just really nice. (+1000) Toledous is just really nice. (+1000) Toledous is just really nice. (+1000) Toledous is just really nice. (+1000) Toledous is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by godsangina2 View Post
    Very interesting.

Edit: Something I've always wanted to know: where does the budget actually go in those $150 million movies? Adam Sandler's latest movie cost $90 million. I just cannot understand how you could spend that much money on movie?
    Ahhh...the magic of Hollywood right there. Is that amount of money NEEDED? No. But Hollywood thinks it is needed. There are standard rates you have to pay crew out here. For example, a camera assistant might make $400 a day, depending on experiences. Crews can have up to 100-200 people working on it (depending on the shoot) shooting within a time frame anywhere from 30-60 days. Extras have to be paid, key crew is paid a certain percentage of the budget or whatever is negotiated.

Talent is a major expense. If you want A-list stars you have to pay for them...which could be upwards of $25 million. If you're lucky enough to know how to reach a star, he may agree to do the project for less...but the agent never will.

Food is expensive. Cast/crew eat like kings everyday. Top quality steak/chicken mashed potatoes, and enough to feed a few hundred people PER DAY.

Extras also eat very well, but not quite as good. Some movies have thousands of extras they have to feed each day. Not to mention the good craft services provided on set.

You're paying for permits, paying for props/set design/editing/scoring/etc. You're renting lots at upwards of $5000 a day and you also have to pay to rent stuff at the studio and clean up after it. Adds up brotato.

money lol, lol money BeefyMcNasty's Avatar
    BeefyMcNasty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeefyMcNasty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeefyMcNasty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeefyMcNasty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeefyMcNasty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeefyMcNasty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeefyMcNasty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeefyMcNasty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeefyMcNasty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeefyMcNasty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeefyMcNasty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by viennafat View Post
    The first thing you do is protect it.

http://www.wga.org/ - Register your script with the Writers Guild of America. $20 for nonmembers, $10 for members

and

http://www.copyright.gov/register/performing.html - Copyright it with the U.S. Copyright office. $35 flat.
    You bring the pepper, I'll bring the Angus.

"People will kill you over time, and how they'll kill you is with tiny, harmless phrases, like 'be realistic.' "

**Self-Employed Crew**

**Bert Stare Bathroom Attendants Who Expect Me To Tip Them Crew**

Toledous is just really nice. (+1000) Toledous is just really nice. (+1000) Toledous is just really nice. (+1000) Toledous is just really nice. (+1000) Toledous is just really nice. (+1000) Toledous is just really nice. (+1000) Toledous is just really nice. (+1000) Toledous is just really nice. (+1000) Toledous is just really nice. (+1000) Toledous is just really nice. (+1000) Toledous is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Dr._S._Colbert View Post
    I have a script about a mega shark and mega dolphin duking it out beneath the ocean(and later on land - they can breathe out of water, that's the twist). Drop me a line if you're interested.
    Lol, low budget sci-fi for the win. I know a guy who used to work there. He said he didn't like it.

^ Sounds like a blockbuster brah.

Oh and I'm in.

Been interested in and have been writing since I was in high school. Never did anything with it, though.
    Funny enough I'm now working on a script and another story I think would make a good TV show (drama).
    What I was doing is collecting addresses of producers and production companies and was thinking of sending it in as a first step.
    What you said you'd do won't work. Every production company, including the one I work for will literally throw away every unsolicited script/treatment we receive...whether by mail or fax. Hollywood doesn't want to get sued so we only go through writers that have agents with a registered WGA and Copyright number on the script. The writer will also have to sign numerous documents explaining that the material is original and came from your mind.

Originally Posted by BeefyMcNasty View Post
    The first thing you do is protect it.

http://www.wga.org/ - Register your script with the Writers Guild of America. $20 for nonmembers, $10 for members

and

http://www.copyright.gov/register/performing.html - Copyright it with the U.S. Copyright office. $35 flat.
    Reps for my film brothers.

godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Ahhh...the magic of Hollywood right there. Is that amount of money NEEDED? No. But Hollywood thinks it is needed. There are standard rates you have to pay crew out here. For example, a camera assistant might make $400 a day, depending on experiences. Crews can have up to 100-200 people working on it (depending on the shoot) shooting within a time frame anywhere from 30-60 days. Extras have to be paid, key crew is paid a certain percentage of the budget or whatever is negotiated.

Talent is a major expense. If you want A-list stars you have to pay for them...which could be upwards of $25 million. If you're lucky enough to know how to reach a star, he may agree to do the project for less...but the agent never will.

Food is expensive. Cast/crew eat like kings everyday. Top quality steak/chicken mashed potatoes, and enough to feed a few hundred people PER DAY.

Extras also eat very well, but not quite as good. Some movies have thousands of extras they have to feed each day. Not to mention the good craft services provided on set.

You're paying for permits, paying for props/set design/editing/scoring/etc. You're renting lots at upwards of $5000 a day and you also have to pay to rent stuff at the studio and clean up after it. Adds up brotato.
    brb becoming a camera assistant lol.
    RIP mainsqueeze530
    "Rustle your opponents jimmies from afar." - Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    Mods - I don't have multiple accounts, asked for old accounts be banned, never had two open at one time.
    Misc - you don't have to rep me back lol, in return no rep begging pls tx

nocluebro will become famous soon enough. (+50) nocluebro will become famous soon enough. (+50) nocluebro will become famous soon enough. (+50) nocluebro will become famous soon enough. (+50) nocluebro will become famous soon enough. (+50) nocluebro will become famous soon enough. (+50) nocluebro will become famous soon enough. (+50) nocluebro will become famous soon enough. (+50) nocluebro will become famous soon enough. (+50) nocluebro will become famous soon enough. (+50) nocluebro will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    hey OP, share with us some details about what defines the BEST (most interesting) scripts you've seen and what defines the worst?

i'm interested in finding out more ways to capture the attention of a reader.

*MISC haiku poem brah*
    *Does requests*
    *Nobody cares doe*

VitaCrave is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) VitaCrave is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) VitaCrave is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) VitaCrave is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) VitaCrave is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) VitaCrave is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) VitaCrave is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) VitaCrave is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) VitaCrave is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) VitaCrave is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) VitaCrave is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The studios wont directly. The production company usually will...most times the studio just funds the project unless you have a really close in-house thing like pixar/dreamworks.

But yet. Actually today I made a call to a publishing house to find out who represents an author that we want to work with. Her book will be coming out in 2013.

I've spoken with unpublished authors as well and read their material to see if it had any merit. If it does, I'll try to get an option on it and take it to a publisher to try to cut a deal for them...which helps my negotiations.
    So let's say that I wrote a book and the production company contacts an agent of mine, how exactly are the authors paid? Take for example J.K Rowling do you just sell the rights to the movie and you're paid whatever the idea sold for?
    Origin of "Rape Sloth" meme:
    http://imgur.com/a/KITDV

CEO - Vandelay Industries viennafat's Avatar
    viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What you said you'd do won't work. Every production company, including the one I work for will literally throw away every unsolicited script/treatment we receive...whether by mail or fax. Hollywood doesn't want to get sued so we only go through writers that have agents with a registered WGA and Copyright number on the script. The writer will also have to sign numerous documents explaining that the material is original and came from your mind.
    That's good to know. Thanks.
    So what does a writer do that has no agent and doesnt "know somebody"?
    Are you basically shiit out of luck?
    Architect, Marine Biologist, Importer-Exporter, Latex Manufacturing.

godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Actually one more thing I've always wondered:
    What do scripts for action movies even look like? "Jason Bourne fights a guy for 5 minutes, then runs through Paris for ten minutes, etc"? Do the writers draw it or something like the Graphic Novel thing you described?
    RIP mainsqueeze530
    "Rustle your opponents jimmies from afar." - Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    Mods - I don't have multiple accounts, asked for old accounts be banned, never had two open at one time.
    Misc - you don't have to rep me back lol, in return no rep begging pls tx

High_Endurance has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) High_Endurance has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) High_Endurance has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) High_Endurance has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) High_Endurance has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) High_Endurance has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) High_Endurance has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) High_Endurance has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) High_Endurance has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) High_Endurance has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) High_Endurance has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    i screen write rape scene
    WW...........WW I S C O N S I N
    WW...........WW I S C O N S I N
    WW...WW...WW I S C O N S I N
    WWW......WWW I S C O N S I N

brb becoming a camera assistant lol.
    They aren't even the highest paid. Hell, PA's can be paid $125-$225 a day plus overtime.

Originally Posted by nocluebro View Post
    hey OP, share with us some details about what defines the BEST (most interesting) scripts you've seen and what defines the worst?

About to leave the office. Will respond when I get home.

Registered User MrBrosephStalin's Avatar
    MrBrosephStalin is just really nice. (+1000) MrBrosephStalin is just really nice. (+1000) MrBrosephStalin is just really nice. (+1000) MrBrosephStalin is just really nice. (+1000) MrBrosephStalin is just really nice. (+1000) MrBrosephStalin is just really nice. (+1000) MrBrosephStalin is just really nice. (+1000) MrBrosephStalin is just really nice. (+1000) MrBrosephStalin is just really nice. (+1000) MrBrosephStalin is just really nice. (+1000) MrBrosephStalin is just really nice. (+1000)
    Love screenwriting. Hoping to make a living off it. Right now I'm in the process of filming two webseries that I wrote, one webseries which has short episodes, approximately four to ten pages long each, and another webseries which collectively is around eighty pages or so. I figured youtube is massive right now and you can generate a gigantic income if you get big on there so that's what I'm aiming for although realistically I know the probability of that happening is slim lol. I'm really strict about story structure and I have listened to Story by Robert McKee about 30482304802384092348 times.

money lol, lol money BeefyMcNasty's Avatar
    BeefyMcNasty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeefyMcNasty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeefyMcNasty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeefyMcNasty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeefyMcNasty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeefyMcNasty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeefyMcNasty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeefyMcNasty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeefyMcNasty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeefyMcNasty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeefyMcNasty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    What do scripts for action movies even look like? "Jason Bourne fights a guy for 5 minutes, then runs through Paris for ten minutes, etc"? Do the writers draw it or something like the Graphic Novel thing you described?

http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Bourne-Identity,-The.html
    You bring the pepper, I'll bring the Angus.

"People will kill you over time, and how they'll kill you is with tiny, harmless phrases, like 'be realistic.' "

**Self-Employed Crew**

**Bert Stare Bathroom Attendants Who Expect Me To Tip Them Crew**

cheers brah.

even if i can't write and direct movies, i'll do my darndest to write entertaining novellas.

*MISC haiku poem brah*
    *Does requests*
    *Nobody cares doe*

Shiverin' since '92 Mr.PissShivers's Avatar
    Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    What are some of your favorite screenplays?

I'd have to say Pulp Fiction is up there for me. In fact all of Tarantino's scripts read like books, very entertaining.

JakobBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakobBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakobBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakobBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakobBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakobBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakobBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakobBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakobBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakobBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakobBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    deff in.

I'm currently going to go to college for video production, then bridge to uni for cinema studies. Might phuck myself over and not get a job after school but I really want to do this.

brb class full of hipsters
    Last edited by JakobBrah; 08-21-2012 at 07:01 PM.
    Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live and die on this day. Live and die on this day.

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother; be never so vile.

***ASMR Crew***

ic3man1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ic3man1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ic3man1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ic3man1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ic3man1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ic3man1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ic3man1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ic3man1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ic3man1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ic3man1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ic3man1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    What do you think about writers from the east coast? Are we at a disadvantage.

JakobBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakobBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakobBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakobBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakobBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakobBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakobBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakobBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakobBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakobBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakobBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    They aren't even the highest paid. Hell, PA's can be paid $125-$225 a day plus overtime.

Can I ask what you did education wise to get into this field? How exactly did you get hired by this company?
    Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live and die on this day. Live and die on this day.

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother; be never so vile.

***ASMR Crew***

Registered User RobotDeathSquad's Avatar
    RobotDeathSquad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RobotDeathSquad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RobotDeathSquad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RobotDeathSquad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RobotDeathSquad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RobotDeathSquad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RobotDeathSquad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RobotDeathSquad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RobotDeathSquad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RobotDeathSquad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RobotDeathSquad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by MrBrosephStalin View Post
    Love screenwriting. Hoping to make a living off it. Right now I'm in the process of filming two webseries that I wrote, one webseries which has short episodes, approximately four to ten pages long each, and another webseries which collectively is around eighty pages or so. I figured youtube is massive right now and you can generate a gigantic income if you get big on there so that's what I'm aiming for although realistically I know the probability of that happening is slim lol. I'm really strict about story structure and I have listened to Story by Robert McKee about 30482304802384092348 times.
    Gotta market that stuff.
    HORSE COCK CREW
    CLEAN EATERS CREW
    CANT BUST FROM BJ CREW

I rep back all Jews, Reptilians, and Illuminati members.

ಠ_ಠ
    <|>
    /ω\

Registered User RobotDeathSquad's Avatar
    RobotDeathSquad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RobotDeathSquad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RobotDeathSquad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RobotDeathSquad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RobotDeathSquad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RobotDeathSquad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RobotDeathSquad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RobotDeathSquad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RobotDeathSquad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RobotDeathSquad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RobotDeathSquad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by JakobBrah View Post
    Can I ask what you did education wise to get into this field? How exactly did you get hired by this company?
    In tinseltown, it's all about who you know brah. He probably got an in from someone he knew
    HORSE COCK CREW
    CLEAN EATERS CREW
    CANT BUST FROM BJ CREW

I rep back all Jews, Reptilians, and Illuminati members.

ಠ_ಠ
    <|>
    /ω\

Originally Posted by Mr.PissShivers View Post

I'd have to say Pulp Fiction is up there for me. In fact all of Tarantino's scripts read like books, very entertaining.
    pulp fiction is actually my favourite movie. the screenplay is pretty phenomenal to read. the little differences between the script and the movie make me appreciate it that much more. have you read the screenplay for heat? fuark man, i would almost say there's too much detail in it.

*MISC haiku poem brah*
    *Does requests*
    *Nobody cares doe*

Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    pulp fiction is actually my favourite movie. the screenplay is pretty phenomenal to read. the little differences between the script and the movie make me appreciate it that much more. have you read the screenplay for heat? fuark man, i would almost say there's too much detail in it.

I ought to check it out.

My problem with reading screenplays is that I don't like to read them or books on the computer. It messes with my eyes. Django Unchained was the last script I've read.

That is going to vary from reader to reader. Some of the stuff that I find great somebody else might not be into, it's similar to the radio. I might be really into the song that's on, but the person next to me can hate it. I can't read a script that is written poorly with a bunch of errors. It pulls me completely out of the moment and I'm focused on the error and figuring out what the writer is trying to say instead of focusing on the direction of the story. I've fallen asleep reading really boring scripts before as well. If you're going to write, make it interesting and keep the story moving forward. Each scene and character interaction needs to be in the script for a reason. Create surprises and put the characters through hell and bring them back. There should be ups and downs just like a roller coaster. Every dramatic script needs some comedic relief. Nothing is better than litterally laughing out loud when reading a script.

Originally Posted by VitaCrave View Post
    So let's say that I wrote a book and the production company contacts an agent of mine, how exactly are the authors paid? Take for example J.K Rowling do you just sell the rights to the movie and you're paid whatever the idea sold for?
    First the agent and the production company would negotiate an option/purchase agreement. Typically both the option and the purchase price are put forth in the intial contract because as a production company...we don't want the author asking for a crazy amount of money should the book become more popular than everyone expected...much like 50 shades of grey. An option price might be somewhere between 10-50 thousand dollars depending on the story, 10% of that typically goes to your agent. Depending on the popularity of the story or how harshly things are negotiated, the purchase price could be anywhere from 100k to over a million. Production companies try to reduce this cost by buying the rights to a book before it is published to reduce the overall potential cost. The writer can still keep some rights such as publishing/sequel rights, but we would have the right to adapt it to film (change it as needed), score music to it, distribute it in multiple formats (including television) all throughout the universe in all currently known media outlets and any future ones devised after the contract has been made.

That's good to know. Thanks.
    So what does a writer do that has no agent and doesnt "know somebody"?
    Are you basically shiit out of luck?
    That's the catch 22. It is hard as hell to get an agent to read your stuff. You really do need to have an "in" somewhere...or just write something so mind blowing that it gets attention on it's own. I actually went back and read the pilot script for Lost about a month ago and I have no idea how they sold it. It seems like complete nonsense on paper, but it translated well to a visual medium. Try to be different. Once you write a script that gets picked up...you'll be pigeonholed in that genre for a very long time. If you write a good comedy, you'll get offers to write comedy and that is pretty much it. If you want to write a drama after a comedy it has to be really damn good otherwise people won't take it seriously. Such is life as a writer. You get paid a **** ton of money to write if you're in the WGA though.

Depends on how popular/famous/skilled the writer is. Some of the more prominent writers will literally just write "Fight Scene Here". Others will write out the fight scene as they imagine it and yes it is a big wall of text that could take up 1/2 page to 3 pages. I read an early draft of Expendables 2 about 8 months ago and the writer wrote out the fight scenes, but just because they were written out doesn't mean that that is how it will be made. The director can pretty much do whatever he wants to story/dialogue even if the producers don't agree with it. The studio will always back the director so the director doesn't lose faith, and the producer's job is to protect the director and give input when necessary.

The Expendables 2 script was pretty solid, as was The Artist. It's difficult to go back and read scripts that have already been translated to film because I see the story in my head as it was made instead of letting my imagination do the work. I try to look for new stuff instead of go back.

deff in.

I'm currently going to go to college for video production, then bridge to uni for cinema studies. Might phuck myself over and not get a job after school but I really want to do this.

brb class full of hipsters
    An education will help but it certainly isn't necessary. I don't regret it.

Originally Posted by ic3man1234 View Post
    What do you think about writers from the east coast? Are we at a disadvantage.
    Yes, unless you have already established yourself as a writer. It's hard to get meetings/pitches if you aren't in person. Producers have a very short attention span and if you aren't in front of them, engaging them, there is no guarantee that they heard you. They might be getting head from one of the interns while you're on speakerphone and not a single **** was given about what you had to say.

Went to one of the top 25 film schools and we have a large amount of people out here. The best way to get jobs is from hearing about them through friends, having them recommend you. Don't be afraid to ask for what you want because all they can do is tell you no. If you don't ask, you won't go too far.

Originally Posted by RobotDeathSquad View Post
    In tinseltown, it's all about who you know brah. He probably got an in from someone he knew
    Yep.

Hopefully when I'm in LA next time I can find more to do involving the movie business than just studio tours. I was an extra in the Muppet Movie, but that was through pure chance.

Toledus, how did you get into the business? Is it something you wanted to do or fell into? Do you plan on staying in the business, and what are your aspirations if you do?

Hopefully when I'm in LA next time I can find more to do involving the movie business than just studio tours. I was an extra in the Muppet Movie, but that was through pure chance.
    Thing is if you truly want to work in the industry, you have to come out here and stay out here. Typically, those who fail and give horror stories about LA left after a few years of hard trials.

Toledus, how did you get into the business? Is it something you wanted to do or fell into? Do you plan on staying in the business, and what are your aspirations if you do?
    I've known I wanted to be in the film industry since 7th grade. I started making stupid little movies with friends around then and editing on the home vcr...man have we come a long way! In high school we had an Education for the Arts program which let us use pretty advanced equipment for the time. We had Canon XL2s, lighting kits, dollys, cranes, and a lab full of computers with Final Cut Pro and other helpful software to edit with. I made some shorts there and then transfered to an Advanced Media Arts program where I got to continue learning the craft as well as learn the basics on other programs such as flash, soundtrack pro, and photoshop.

College is where it got interesting. We first started shooting on film with the bolex. We had to edit with a videoscope, a razor blade, and tape...and it was a pain in the ass. I'm still glad I got to learn it. I finally decided to focus on producing with a minor in public relations. My last couple years at college were spent making short films with actualized budgets over 100k. Our school has a brand new fully functional sound stage with a motorized grid, shop for set building, etc. We shot on cameras like the Arriflex (Super 16) and we also shot some 35mm as well (which looks beautiful when projected). One of my projects was shot on the RED when our school finally broke down and got one of those. As a producer, I was in charge of a crew of about 40-60 depending on the project. I line produced a couple as well which put me in charge of all the logistical properties of the film such as budget, catering, permits, humane society, contracts, deal memos, transportation, etc. Line producing is nothing but a stressful pain in the ass. As a producer, all I really have to worry about is maintaining the realationships between departments, make sure communcation is top notch, ensure the story is where it needs to be and fight with the "studio" to get the money I needed to get the project done. I also have some knowledge in acquiring stock footage, which can also be an ordeal and don't get me started with the American Humane Society. My first experience with them was awful and I will go to great length to avoid working with them in the future. SAG even sided with me and filed an injunction on my behalf to get the representative fired...keep in mind that this lady was working with people like Clint Eastwood, Matthew Mcconaughey, etc...and she got fired because of me...a college student at the time. I got a reputation as somebody who gets the job done and communicated that I'm not a person to **** with...which is partially why I feel I have the job I have now.

inb4 dear diary