Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bill51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy How the hell do I fix this? :(

Hi guys,

For years I've been ashamed of my body, and it's made me feel insecure around everyone. I'm insecure about eating, dressing, and everything I do now.. For what I lack in body looks I try to make up with in personality, but it can only take me so far. I'm just so sick of looking like this now, I also need to get stronger - I'm not exactly weak, but I'm sure as hell not strong at all.. I'm embarrassed mostly about the fat over my hips. My mom recently came out of a 5 year alcoholic streak which put immense pressure on me.. My dad has been diagnosed with diabetes (which may be for my own good, as now my mom cooks only low GI meals) and although he is now overweight , at my age he was in the airforce and was very in-shape. Although he was very overweight in school, he was fortunate because he loses fat very quickly when he exercises. I feel like a failure every time I think of him because im not what he was.. Please can someone just help me I do not know what to do. There was a point where I'd had enough, I didn't know what the hell I was doing.. but I tried just doing pushups and situps to try something, soon after I started jogging outside every weekday - I saw progress after a few weeks - but I was forced to come off it as the pressure of my final high school year started to close in on me and the pressures of looming college.. Then came exams, which I had to completely devote all my time to. But now they're over, and it's holiday - and it's time for change.

I attached a picture of myself, and not a good one. (sorry)
    I ask that someone just push me in the right direction, should I start lifting? or focus only on doing cardio to lose the fat? Exactly what muscles should I focus on to improve my aesthetic look and physique? I'd just like to have a nice silhouette.

btw: I'm 17, and weigh about 75kg

Thanks bb.com you're my last hope..

edit2: added second picture
    Attached Images
    Last edited by bill51; 08-18-2012 at 09:00 AM. Reason: added 2nd picture

sportsguy740 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportsguy740 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportsguy740 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportsguy740 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportsguy740 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportsguy740 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportsguy740 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportsguy740 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportsguy740 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportsguy740 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportsguy740 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    First relax... Second from looking at your pic I dont see what your so upset about. There are guys on here that were 365 and made amazing progress within a year. I feel like the guy from half baked when he stands up and says your in here for marijuana lol. Its not that bad your still in highschool you still have time before you take on the real world. Now about working out ect diet im sure someone will help you this site is a great support system.
    6-1: 286.4 | 6-8: xxx | 6-15: xxx | 6-22: xxx | 6-29: xxx | Month Total: xxx

madhattermike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madhattermike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madhattermike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madhattermike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madhattermike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madhattermike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madhattermike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madhattermike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madhattermike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madhattermike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madhattermike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yes, relax!

First, you don't look fat IMO but good for you in taking a hold of your health and body early on. I've found the resources here to be invaluable. Take some time to read through the stickies and threads. The search tool can help you find specific info pretty well.

Curious, how did you measure your bodyfat at 20%

I just started getting into lifting a few months back and didn't know squat. I still don't know squat but found the forums here to be a great help. I started with Kris Gethin's 12 week transformation for a workout guide and it's been great for me personally. I'm almost done the 12 weeks and am going to cycle through it again. I did not follow his nutrition plan or supplement stack. I would honestly look around here in the nutrition and losing fat forums for some guidance on how to calculate your requirements.

You will absolutely want to lift and make sure you're getting adequate protein at between 0.7-1.0g/lb. You'll also want to do cardio too. I do highly recommend Kris' workout routine - it's a good balance of both and he has a host of videos throughout that lead you through the exercises and routines.

One last thing is whatever you do, don't follow some fad diet or super low carb plan. Take some time to learn about nutrition here and how to eat healthfully.

dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Lift weights, eat, stop worrying.

Starting Strength. Why this program? Read this.

Originally Posted by madhattermike View Post
    Yes, relax!

First, you don't look fat IMO but good for you in taking a hold of your health and body early on. I've found the resources here to be invaluable. Take some time to read through the stickies and threads. The search tool can help you find specific info pretty well.

Curious, how did you measure your bodyfat at 20%
    Thanks for the advice, I didn't measure it.. I just picked the picture that was closest to mine when going through the account creation wizard.. lol
    I will have a look at Kris' work out routine. Is it advisable, given my current body that I can lift and do cardio ?

madhattermike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madhattermike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madhattermike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madhattermike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madhattermike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madhattermike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madhattermike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madhattermike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madhattermike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madhattermike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madhattermike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by bill51 View Post
    Thanks for the advice, I didn't measure it.. I just picked the picture that was closest to mine when going through the account creation wizard.. lol
    I will have a look at Kris' work out routine. Is it advisable, given my current body that I can lift and do cardio ?
    Anyone can and should lift and do cardio. Just have to start within your limits but push yourself. Cardio will help with burning fat, calories and is good for your cardiovascular system. Weight training will help build and retain muscle mass and also aid in burning fat.

WunSen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WunSen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WunSen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WunSen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WunSen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WunSen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WunSen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WunSen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WunSen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WunSen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WunSen has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    your not fat and anyone that tries to tell you you are are chatting out their arse...

Originally Posted by madhattermike View Post
    Anyone can and should lift and do cardio. Just have to start within your limits but push yourself. Cardio will help with burning fat, calories and is good for your cardiovascular system. Weight training will help build and retain muscle mass and also aid in burning fat.
    Thanks, that's what I thought. But someone mentioned that I should stop lifting and just do cardio as lifting might make me look 'swole' ? not sure if they were just trolling, because this was on /fit/

cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Lift
    Barely decent crew

dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks, that's what I thought. But someone mentioned that I should stop lifting and just do cardio as lifting might make me look 'swole' ? not sure if they were just trolling, because this was on /fit/
    I don't know what that even means. You're going to accidentally gain too much muscle? Yeah, that happens to so many guys, poor bastards.

Originally Posted by dmacdonal9 View Post
    I don't know what that even means. You're going to accidentally gain too much muscle? Yeah, that happens to so many guys, poor bastards.
    Haha yeah I didn't know either.. I think he tried to say it would make me look fatter.. But i'm going to disregard that advice because it was /fit/. I purchased the starting strength book, and will be buying a barbell soon hopefully. I will continue with my jogging aswell.

Aquaria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aquaria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aquaria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aquaria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aquaria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aquaria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aquaria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aquaria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aquaria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aquaria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aquaria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't think you are fat, I think you would look great with more muscle

R U looking at ma pint? FatScottishGuy's Avatar
    FatScottishGuy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatScottishGuy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatScottishGuy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatScottishGuy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatScottishGuy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatScottishGuy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatScottishGuy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatScottishGuy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatScottishGuy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatScottishGuy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FatScottishGuy has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    so you 17 and you are fairly lean (not at all fat)...start lifting and eating well now and you will def see good gains and look awesome by the time you are 20

ps stop being so hard on yourself

coke and hookers? IIFYM Verbalcody's Avatar
    Verbalcody will become famous soon enough. (+50) Verbalcody will become famous soon enough. (+50) Verbalcody will become famous soon enough. (+50) Verbalcody will become famous soon enough. (+50) Verbalcody will become famous soon enough. (+50) Verbalcody will become famous soon enough. (+50) Verbalcody will become famous soon enough. (+50) Verbalcody will become famous soon enough. (+50) Verbalcody will become famous soon enough. (+50) Verbalcody will become famous soon enough. (+50) Verbalcody will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    jesus what a baby crying about the way you look then claiming to try to make up for it with personality?! then showing that picture

lo f'n l

Id go to personality training priority number 1 before I hit the gym, you loon
    He learned no lessons
    He acknowledged no mistakes

byseps is on a distinguished road. (+10) byseps is on a distinguished road. (+10) byseps is on a distinguished road. (+10) byseps is on a distinguished road. (+10) byseps is on a distinguished road. (+10) byseps is on a distinguished road. (+10) byseps is on a distinguished road. (+10) byseps is on a distinguished road. (+10) byseps is on a distinguished road. (+10) byseps is on a distinguished road. (+10) byseps is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    lift heavy weights 3 or 4x per week

Originally Posted by Verbalcody View Post
    jesus what a baby crying about the way you look then claiming to try to make up for it with personality?! then showing that picture

lo f'n l

Id go to personality training priority number 1 before I hit the gym, you loon
    Sorry. I wrote this when very upset.
    I just wanted to know if my BF is low enough to start lifting already, because people have said that if too fat - you must first lose some fat and then start lifting. But now I guess I will do both. Perhaps the picture does not fully represent the situation, i will try get another.
    Last edited by bill51; 08-18-2012 at 08:08 AM.

added second picture

Registered User transformerbrah's Avatar
    transformerbrah is a complete loser! (-2000) transformerbrah is a complete loser! (-2000) transformerbrah is a complete loser! (-2000) transformerbrah is a complete loser! (-2000) transformerbrah is a complete loser! (-2000) transformerbrah is a complete loser! (-2000) transformerbrah is a complete loser! (-2000) transformerbrah is a complete loser! (-2000) transformerbrah is a complete loser! (-2000) transformerbrah is a complete loser! (-2000) transformerbrah is a complete loser! (-2000)
    I am going to be honest with you. Go see a therapist of some kind. Yes, you could be in better shape. But to be that depressed about your body, given the way your body looks indicates some type of mental defect. Sure you could tone up and add muscle; you should do that. But to that those signs of depression b/c of your current body condition is not mentally healthy.

Want to gain mass? Look up any of the mass gaining programs on this site; should work for you. Any questions just answer me.
    "Whatever it takes"

205 lbs lost by age 20 through bodybuilding techniques.

15 days in

Well, this is a bit of an update I guess (not that anybody cares lol.) Not much change, but I will be patient and keep with what I've been doing and hope to see results in the coming months

So far I've cut all soda, all **** food. (But I have one or two days of me and my friends going to Mcd's kinda drunk where I've tried getting the smallest meal possible.) But other than that, it's all good food I'm eating now. I have yet to try supplements or even protein shakes.. Going to get some protein tomorrow hopefully.

I'm only in my 3rd week now. But my routine is sortof like this:
    Mon: Lift
    Tues: Run
    Wednesday: Lift
    Thursday: Run
    Friday: Lift
    Saturday: Run
    Sunday: Rest

Now I mentioned to someone that I was doing 3x cardio and 3x lifting every week - but they said that I might as well play videogames. I took this as **** talk, but is this true? Should I focus on just lifting or just cardio, or can I lift and run ? Sorry if these sound like stupid questions.. But I'm such a noob it's not even funny.

Thanks for the support.
    Attached Images
    Time for Change

WunSen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WunSen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WunSen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WunSen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WunSen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WunSen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WunSen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WunSen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WunSen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WunSen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WunSen has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    cardio is FAR from necessary any more than 1-2 times a week to maintain fitness and heart health... it depends is busting your ass for half an hour worth eating 300 calories more or would you rather eat a bit less and save your energy for lifting. as ive said before diet >>> lifting > cardio

sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    OP this is your golden rule: disregard any 'advice' you get from outside these forums for a while. Lift weights and eat. High protein diet. Aim to gain a few lbs a month. Your hips look the way they do bc you have little muscle. Losing fat is not going to help much at all at this point.

Cardio shuld be done regardless of goals for overall health. Diet and lifting determines your appearance. Cardio has very little to do with it.

Stick to our forums, we know what the f*ck we're talkin bout bud.
    Powerlifter convert. Follow on instagram Sharpie_bendingbarbells

Most recent comp lifts: 405/305/475

Thanks bro, this is exactly the type of advice I needed. Any supplement recommendations to get me to build muscle quicker?

Originally Posted by sharpieblet View Post
    OP this is your golden rule: disregard any 'advice' you get from outside these forums for a while. Lift weights and eat. High protein diet. Aim to gain a few lbs a month. Your hips look the way they do bc you have little muscle. Losing fat is not going to help much at all at this point.

Cardio shuld be done regardless of goals for overall health. Diet and lifting determines your appearance. Cardio has very little to do with it.

Stick to our forums, we know what the f*ck we're talkin bout bud.
    Time for Change

Khabaal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Khabaal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Khabaal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Khabaal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Khabaal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Khabaal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Khabaal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Khabaal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Khabaal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Khabaal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Khabaal will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks bro, this is exactly the type of advice I needed. Any supplement recommendations to get me to build muscle quicker?
    Just optimize your workout routine and keep your macros in check. Building muscle is slow, unless you have amazing genetics and/or drugs, nothing's going to change that. Check out the exercise section to find a starting strength program (if you don't know where to start) and lurk for advice until then I guess.
    "When a problem comes along, you must whip it." ~Simon Belmont

sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Muscle building doesn't happen quick regardless of what supps ur on. Eat your body weight in protein every day, that and lifting will give you the best odds of building muscle fastest. Creatine monohydrate (take 5g a day) and a preworkout supp (personally recommend c-4, jack3d or 1MR as they're cheap and work great). Preworkout ONLY recommended if you feel sluggish in the gym. It won't build muscle any faster tho.
    Powerlifter convert. Follow on instagram Sharpie_bendingbarbells

Most recent comp lifts: 405/305/475

iceaura is on a distinguished road. (+10) iceaura is on a distinguished road. (+10) iceaura is on a distinguished road. (+10) iceaura is on a distinguished road. (+10) iceaura is on a distinguished road. (+10) iceaura is on a distinguished road. (+10) iceaura is on a distinguished road. (+10) iceaura is on a distinguished road. (+10) iceaura is on a distinguished road. (+10) iceaura is on a distinguished road. (+10) iceaura is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    As said, the quickest way to build muscle is a high protein diet and lifting heavy to fatigue.
    Eat plenty of chicken, fish, beef, pork, eggs, vegetables. Limit pastas, rice, potatoes, fruits, high fat and sugary foods.
    Supplements are not necessary, the only ones that I now take and would ever consider are: fish oil, multivitamin, creatine and whey protein (although I don't consider this a supplement, more like powdered meat, lol). I only take these "just in case" - I should be getting most of this stuff through whole foods anyway, but I have the money, so I figure I'd take them just to cover my bases. To be honest, I was doing perfectly fine without them before and have not noticed any difference in adding them now.

Originally Posted by iceaura View Post
    As said, the quickest way to build muscle is a high protein diet and lifting heavy to fatigue.
    Eat plenty of chicken, fish, beef, pork, eggs, vegetables. Limit pastas, rice, potatoes, fruits, high fat and sugary foods.
    Supplements are not necessary, the only ones that I now take and would ever consider are: fish oil, multivitamin, creatine and whey protein (although I don't consider this a supplement, more like powdered meat, lol). I only take these "just in case" - I should be getting most of this stuff through whole foods anyway, but I have the money, so I figure I'd take them just to cover my bases. To be honest, I was doing perfectly fine without them before and have not noticed any difference in adding them now.
    Thanks, I already take flax every day and have for the past few months even before I decided to start lifting.. I also got protein powder.
    Time for Change

TroJon will become famous soon enough. (+50) TroJon will become famous soon enough. (+50) TroJon will become famous soon enough. (+50) TroJon will become famous soon enough. (+50) TroJon will become famous soon enough. (+50) TroJon will become famous soon enough. (+50) TroJon will become famous soon enough. (+50) TroJon will become famous soon enough. (+50) TroJon will become famous soon enough. (+50) TroJon will become famous soon enough. (+50) TroJon will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ROFL @ normal kid already being depressed on body.

You are gona get fukin HUGE and SHREDDED one day man. Srs.

Smile update of progress

this is just an update... thought i'd post it, this is after about a month of changing diet, lifting... I jog a bit less now.. Any tips or comments are appreciated.. thanks bb.com
    Attached Images
    Time for Change

ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    this is just an update... thought i'd post it, this is after about a month of changing diet, lifting... I jog a bit less now.. Any tips or comments are appreciated.. thanks bb.com
    You are making progress. Eat 150 grams of protein per day. Lift heavy weights at least three times per week.

Repeat for A YEAR....

BE PATIENT. Good things will happen.
    A diet isn't punishment. A diet is a way to reward your body with the wholesome, nutritious food that it needs. Your body composition is a direct reflection of what you put in your mouth.

HeavyMTLBronco is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeavyMTLBronco is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeavyMTLBronco is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeavyMTLBronco is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeavyMTLBronco is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeavyMTLBronco is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeavyMTLBronco is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeavyMTLBronco is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeavyMTLBronco is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeavyMTLBronco is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeavyMTLBronco is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Man, you have to eat to gain, eat to lose. Check your diet, there are amazing articles all over bb.com for teens that you could greatly benifit from. Look at my before and after picture man, at least you didnt have tits. When I was in high school I was almost 200lbs and had dudes in sports and gym that would come up and flop my boobs. You look fine, just keep up the work, keep in mind that these changes do NOT happen over night. No matter what you see in magazines and television it takes hard work, diet, and patience to make changes.