Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000)

The Vertical Leg Press...

Although I have never used one, I have alway wanted to. I guess I am just left wondering why more gyms don't have them... As I watch videos of a lot of the greats training, I see most of them using the vertical leg press at some point. Is it just a liability issue for gyms? I can only imagine what could happen if someone got under one that didn't know what they were doing.. Nonetheless, it seems like an awesome piece of equipment and would certainly utilize one if it were available to me.. Any readers chiming in on this thread, I would love to know the benefits and drawbacks of the vertical leg press...
    Darren Conroy
    Controlled Labs Sponsored Natural Athlete
    ISSA Certified Personal Trainer

Aesthreadics.com
    info@aesthreadics.com

FREE Controlled Labs SAMPLES
    forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149596763

Free Controlled Labs supps for your labels
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=117636651

Disclaimer : The above post is my own PERSONAL OPINION and DOES NOT REPRESENT the official position of any company or entity. It DOES NOT constitute medical advice

workoutjunkie94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) workoutjunkie94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) workoutjunkie94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) workoutjunkie94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) workoutjunkie94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) workoutjunkie94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) workoutjunkie94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) workoutjunkie94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) workoutjunkie94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) workoutjunkie94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) workoutjunkie94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It's not complicated when I first tried it I just asked someone doing it to show me how to use the safetys.

DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by workoutjunkie94 View Post
    It's not complicated when I first tried it I just asked someone doing it to show me how to use the safetys.
    How did it feel on your back?? Any different than a regular one??
    Darren Conroy

Aesthreadics.com
    info@aesthreadics.com

Disclaimer : The above post is my own PERSONAL OPINION and DOES NOT REPRESENT the official position of any company or entity. It DOES NOT constitute medical advice

pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Some guys don't like the pressure from the angle.

Some feel that they may get stuck under the weight, if they fail.

One of the more common issues, though, is that many of the machines have the weight loading on the top, which can be very awkward.
    If God had wanted us to be weak, He wouldn't have given us iron.

[]---[] Equipment Crew #28 []---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #28 ()---()

Originally Posted by pumping4life View Post
    Some guys don't like the pressure from the angle.

Some feel that they may get stuck under the weight, if they fail.

One of the more common issues, though, is that many of the machines have the weight loading on the top, which can be very awkward.
    Makes sense... I would definitely have a spot handy if using a machine such as this one... Kinda similar to that of benching.. It seems as though it would be easy to psych yourself out.. At the same time, that same feeling motivates the hell out of me...
    Darren Conroy

Aesthreadics.com
    info@aesthreadics.com

300 Spartan Crew Helot theeperry's Avatar
    theeperry will become famous soon enough. (+50) theeperry will become famous soon enough. (+50) theeperry will become famous soon enough. (+50) theeperry will become famous soon enough. (+50) theeperry will become famous soon enough. (+50) theeperry will become famous soon enough. (+50) theeperry will become famous soon enough. (+50) theeperry will become famous soon enough. (+50) theeperry will become famous soon enough. (+50) theeperry will become famous soon enough. (+50) theeperry will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I get a much better workout with it, no back pain at all. Deff some of the best leg workouts. If im in a gym without a squat rack ill put a decline bench under the smith machine lay back on the bench and leg press the smith bar. Not a fan of the 45 leg press. Try it when u get a chance. Ps the one i use loads the plates on the sides
    Gym / competition (raw classic)
    S- 530 / 505
    B- 350 / 335
    D- 585 / 575
    Cj- 264/ 264
    Sn-220/ 220

http://www.********.com/JoshPerryTheePerry

Originally Posted by carnage1985 View Post
    Got one at my old school backyard gym.

Definately puts unnecessary strain in back and I prefer the 45' without a doubt.

Although you can really grind out a rep as you are right under it.
    I guess I will just have to try it out as I know that everyone's back is different... I would have to agree with you about grinding it out being pinned underneath it...
    Darren Conroy

Aesthreadics.com
    info@aesthreadics.com

Originally Posted by theeperry View Post
    I get a much better workout with it, no back pain at all. Deff some of the best leg workouts. If im in a gym without a squat rack ill put a decline bench under the smith machine lay back on the bench and leg press the smith bar. Not a fan of the 45 leg press. Try it when u get a chance. Ps the one i use loads the plates on the sides
    Thanks for the tip! I have seen videos of folks using the smith as a makeshift vertical press.. I have just been apprehensive simply because I'm afraid of the weight slipping and then BOOM! lol....
    Darren Conroy

Aesthreadics.com
    info@aesthreadics.com

deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The guy to ask is harrisg83. He has the best vertical leg press made (Nebula). I'm sure he could tell you all about it.

TXBRASS is just really nice. (+1000) TXBRASS is just really nice. (+1000) TXBRASS is just really nice. (+1000) TXBRASS is just really nice. (+1000) TXBRASS is just really nice. (+1000) TXBRASS is just really nice. (+1000) TXBRASS is just really nice. (+1000) TXBRASS is just really nice. (+1000) TXBRASS is just really nice. (+1000) TXBRASS is just really nice. (+1000) TXBRASS is just really nice. (+1000)
    I picked mine up for $100 and LOVE IT. Other than my Powerrack, I is my favorite piece of machinery. No strain on my back and it can only come down so far so safety is not an issue. Loading the weights from the top is fine for me too. They are cheap and easy to buId so I figure it was a sales deal. A $1,500 sled or $150 vertical press that would last forever.
    I won't get rid of mine. Wife loves it too....

-!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #2 -!!!---!!!-

TXBRASS

"LIKE" us on ********: Get-a-Grip Personal Performance

Once you go RACK, you never go BACK.....

Originally Posted by deadwoodgregg View Post
    The guy to ask is harrisg83. He has the best vertical leg press made (Nebula). I'm sure he could tell you all about it.
    Awesome! I'll have to hit him up.. Thanks!
    Darren Conroy

Aesthreadics.com
    info@aesthreadics.com

Originally Posted by TXBRASS View Post
    I picked mine up for $100 and LOVE IT. Other than my Powerrack, I is my favorite piece of machinery. No strain on my back and it can only come down so far so safety is not an issue. Loading the weights from the top is fine for me too. They are cheap and easy to buId so I figure it was a sales deal. A $1,500 sled or $150 vertical press that would last forever.
    I won't get rid of mine. Wife loves it too....
    That's good to know! It seems like there would be a ton of benefits from a machine like this.. For me, it will just be a matter of getting one in the gym that I go to.... I guess we'll see how much clout I have around there... lol...
    Darren Conroy

Aesthreadics.com
    info@aesthreadics.com

TXBRASS is just really nice. (+1000) TXBRASS is just really nice. (+1000) TXBRASS is just really nice. (+1000) TXBRASS is just really nice. (+1000) TXBRASS is just really nice. (+1000) TXBRASS is just really nice. (+1000) TXBRASS is just really nice. (+1000) TXBRASS is just really nice. (+1000) TXBRASS is just really nice. (+1000) TXBRASS is just really nice. (+1000) TXBRASS is just really nice. (+1000)

Mine is a York....

TXBRASS

^^^ Nice!! That thing just looks brutal!! Although my legs are trashed from the dead lifts I did today, looking at the beautiful machine makes me want to hit it again!!

I'll have to look it up... Thanks for the post!!
    Darren Conroy

Aesthreadics.com
    info@aesthreadics.com

workoutjunkie94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) workoutjunkie94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) workoutjunkie94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) workoutjunkie94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) workoutjunkie94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) workoutjunkie94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) workoutjunkie94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) workoutjunkie94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) workoutjunkie94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) workoutjunkie94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) workoutjunkie94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    wait wut.. i was thinking of the 45 degree one lol.

that looks like itll snap my back

chemmech has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chemmech has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chemmech has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chemmech has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chemmech has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chemmech has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chemmech has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chemmech has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chemmech has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chemmech has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chemmech has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    does anyone use the verticle leg press to work out their calves. I have a 45 degree leg press that I use for leg presses and for working My calves out, seems as though the verticle leg press would work real good for both leg presses and the calves.....
    Energy is what I have.....

irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by DarrenConroy View Post
    Thanks for the tip! I have seen videos of folks using the smith as a makeshift vertical press.. I have just been apprehensive simply because I'm afraid of the weight slipping and then BOOM! lol....
    smith machines have adjustable safety stops in addition to locking the bar. also, the vertical presses that load on the sides are much easier to use.
    Now OK for Sig line to be a novel

Originally Posted by chemmech View Post
    does anyone use the verticle leg press to work out their calves. I have a 45 degree leg press that I use for leg presses and for working My calves out, seems as though the verticle leg press would work real good for both leg presses and the calves.....
    90% of my calf work and 100% of my wife's is done on our vertical press.

TXBRASS

harrisg83 is just really nice. (+1000) harrisg83 is just really nice. (+1000) harrisg83 is just really nice. (+1000) harrisg83 is just really nice. (+1000) harrisg83 is just really nice. (+1000) harrisg83 is just really nice. (+1000) harrisg83 is just really nice. (+1000) harrisg83 is just really nice. (+1000) harrisg83 is just really nice. (+1000) harrisg83 is just really nice. (+1000) harrisg83 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I really like my Nebula vertical leg press but to buy a commerical one it's kinda hard to find and if you do it'll cost a pretty penny. My Nebula cost almost 4 g's and it's almost impossible to find a used one on e-bay or craigslist. Nebula was out of business for awhile untill Rae Crowther took them over. Recently Rouge purchased the Nebula brand name so it seems as though their in a continual state of flux.
    Awesome! I'll have to hit him up.. Thanks!

Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I've never used one but looking at it I'm guessing it's a lot more economical with weights and floor space, since you don't get the mechanical advantage from the ramp.

I'm actually wondering if there any advantages to the lower angle leg presses (~30) I've seen around, other than for inflating your ego. They seem to take up a ridiculous amount of floor space and plates.

chemmech has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chemmech has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chemmech has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chemmech has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chemmech has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chemmech has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chemmech has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chemmech has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chemmech has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chemmech has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chemmech has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    TXBRASS, the only thing that might work better would be a standing calf machine or donkey calf raise machine, both of which I have no space for, old school stuff I guess, don't see them vey often.....
    Energy is what I have.....

Originally Posted by irongrandpa View Post
    smith machines have adjustable safety stops in addition to locking the bar. also, the vertical presses that load on the sides are much easier to use.
    That makes sense... I think I'll hold off on messing with the smith machine... I don't want to take any chances...
    Darren Conroy

Aesthreadics.com
    info@aesthreadics.com

Originally Posted by TXBRASS View Post
    90% of my calf work and 100% of my wife's is done on our vertical press.
    Thats brilliant! I never even considered it for calves!
    Darren Conroy

Aesthreadics.com
    info@aesthreadics.com

deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by harrisg83 View Post
    Nebula was out of business for awhile untill Rae Crowther took them over. Recently Rouge purchased the Nebula brand name so it seems as though their in a continual state of flux.
    Rae Crowther can build any of the Nebula pieces and badge them as Rae Crowther. You can also buy the same pieces through Rogue, but made by Rae Crowther, badged with the Nebula name. In any case, I think that Hans is doing things right and Rae Crowther should be around making high quality fitness gear and football strength gear for a long time.

Originally Posted by deadwoodgregg View Post
    Rae Crowther can build any of the Nebula pieces and badge them as Rae Crowther. You can also buy the same pieces through Rogue, but made by Rae Crowther, badged with the Nebula name. In any case, I think that Hans is doing things right and Rae Crowther should be around making high quality fitness gear and football strength gear for a long time.
    That's good to know! I'm going to hit up my gym about carrying one of these...
    Darren Conroy

Aesthreadics.com
    info@aesthreadics.com

Now I'm mad jelly that I am missing out of smashing my calves on a vertical leg press as well as the wheels!
    Darren Conroy

Aesthreadics.com
    info@aesthreadics.com

Just today I asked the manager of my gym if I could petition to get a vertical leg press in the gym... If it happens I'll probably have to hit some of you up regarding the best brand! Thanks again to all of you for the insight so far!
    Darren Conroy

Aesthreadics.com
    info@aesthreadics.com

harrisg83 is just really nice. (+1000) harrisg83 is just really nice. (+1000) harrisg83 is just really nice. (+1000) harrisg83 is just really nice. (+1000) harrisg83 is just really nice. (+1000) harrisg83 is just really nice. (+1000) harrisg83 is just really nice. (+1000) harrisg83 is just really nice. (+1000) harrisg83 is just really nice. (+1000) harrisg83 is just really nice. (+1000) harrisg83 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Best brand is Nebula, hands down.
    Just today I asked the manager of my gym if I could petition to get a vertical leg press in the gym... If it happens I'll probably have to hit some of you up regarding the best brand! Thanks again to all of you for the insight so far!

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I don't use the vertical press because I found it was substantially harder on my lower back. I've read studies where others have confirmed that the back is placed in a much more at-risk position. These things have been disappearing from gyms for a reason. There is still a good number of lifters who enjoy them. I just hope they are able to stay injury free.

Originally Posted by harrisg83 View Post
    Best brand is Nebula, hands down.
    Originally Posted by smokeater View Post
    I don't use the vertical press because I found it was substantially harder on my lower back. I've read studies where others have confirmed that the back is placed in a much more at-risk position. These things have been disappearing from gyms for a reason. There is still a good number of lifters who enjoy them. I just hope they are able to stay injury free.
    Great information from both of you.. Thanks!
    Darren Conroy

Aesthreadics.com
    info@aesthreadics.com