Location: Near Carmarthen, SW Wales, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    MammyJane is on a distinguished road. (+10) MammyJane is on a distinguished road. (+10) MammyJane is on a distinguished road. (+10) MammyJane is on a distinguished road. (+10) MammyJane is on a distinguished road. (+10) MammyJane is on a distinguished road. (+10) MammyJane is on a distinguished road. (+10) MammyJane is on a distinguished road. (+10) MammyJane is on a distinguished road. (+10) MammyJane is on a distinguished road. (+10) MammyJane is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Olympic Female Weightlifters - Physique

I must say I haven't seen a lot of female weight lifters, other than body competitions.

I have tuned in this afternoon and I can totally understand now why my gym trainer asked if I was training for a competition when I told him I want to up my weights lifted. I laughed it off saying no as consider myself way to big in terms of body fat to be taken seriously but honestly I think I'd look small next to some of the girls in the olympics!

Fair play to them they're lifting 120-144kg in the snatch lovely)!

I am going to stop stressing about how I'm perceived in the gym I think! lol

Are there benefits to being high in body fat as well as high in muscle for competitions such as the olympics?
    Halfway through my weight loss journey - In this for life!
    Working on lowering body fat and increasing lean muscle through horse riding and lifting heavier weights.
    Started at the gym 30/07/2012 - Still finding my feet
    Jane

jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by MammyJane View Post
    I must say I haven't seen a lot of female weight lifters, other than body competitions.

I have tuned in this afternoon and I can totally understand now why my gym trainer asked if I was training for a competition when I told him I want to up my weights lifted. I laughed it off saying no as consider myself way to big in terms of body fat to be taken seriously but honestly I think I'd look small next to some of the girls in the olympics!

Fair play to them they're lifting 120-144kg in the snatch lovely)!

I am going to stop stressing about how I'm perceived in the gym I think! lol

Are there benefits to being high in body fat as well as high in muscle for competitions such as the olympics?
    The class that is on today is the women's super heavyweight class. Because they do not have an upper limit to their weight class, they are at no disadvantage to carry a lot of excess body fat. It is the same for the men. Nobody else in Olympic weightlifting in any other weight class looks like that because they cannot afford to.

illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jb4476 View Post
    The class that is on today is the women's super heavyweight class. Because they do not have an upper limit to their weight class, they are at no disadvantage to carry a lot of excess body fat. It is the same for the men. Nobody else in Olympic weightlifting in any other weight class looks like that because they cannot afford to.
    Exactly, here are examples of other weightlifting physiques:
    Marzena Karpinska (48kg class)

Zoe Smith (58 kg class)

As was discussed in the swimmers thread, the physiques you see are built for PERFORMANCE. Not to look pretty in a bathing suit. I honestly don't understand the point of critiquing a physique from a visual point of view (beyond "oooh aaaah") that performs well as it's intended. That like laughing at a IFBB pro who can only squat 500, when there's way smaller dudes who can squat 600+.
    280/150/355 @meet
    275/160/350 @gym

BTK OG

"Are these fitness beckys gonna cease popping their long backs for instagram likes or nah???" - me

MammyJane is on a distinguished road. (+10) MammyJane is on a distinguished road. (+10) MammyJane is on a distinguished road. (+10) MammyJane is on a distinguished road. (+10) MammyJane is on a distinguished road. (+10) MammyJane is on a distinguished road. (+10) MammyJane is on a distinguished road. (+10) MammyJane is on a distinguished road. (+10) MammyJane is on a distinguished road. (+10) MammyJane is on a distinguished road. (+10) MammyJane is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by jb4476 View Post
    Thanks for clearing up my confusion - this makes total sense!

I have watched worlds strongest man for many years but hadn't figured that they came from different classes, just were good at different things.
    Working on lowering body fat and increasing lean muscle through horse riding and lifting heavier weights.
    Jane

Originally Posted by illiniStrive View Post
    Exactly, here are examples of other weightlifting physiques:

As was discussed in the swimmers thread, the physiques you see are built for PERFORMANCE. Not to look pretty in a bathing suit. I honestly don't understand the point of critiquing a physique from a visual point of view (beyond "oooh aaaah") that performs well as it's intended. That like laughing at a IFBB pro who can only squat 500, when there's way smaller dudes who can squat 600+.
    Thanks I didn't meant to be critical from a point of view of being mean, but as a bigger built girl who has struggled with my weight forever, I have felt a bit odd walking into a gym despite being lower in weight. I am trying to think positively that if Olympians can lift heavy and not worry about their weight too much then so can I.. within my personal goals of course.

Dunno if that makes sense but well done to all the lady lifters, they rock!
    Jane

jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by MammyJane View Post
    Thanks for clearing up my confusion - this makes total sense!

I have watched worlds strongest man for many years but hadn't figured that they came from different classes, just were good at different things.
    Strongman/WSM is totally different to Olympic weightlifting. Strongman doesn't have a centrally organized system of weight classes. For the most part, you have to be huge to do well in strongman. But Olympic lifting has universally agreed on structured weight classes with small increments determined by an international federation. That means it doesn't matter if you're 120 or 320 lb, you have the opportunity to work with the body you have to do the best you can. That is why top Oly lifters in low weight classes have the most strength relative to bodyweight of anyone on the planet. See this 132 lb man throw 418 lb over his head:

Thanks again! Video is tremendous!

I have a lot to learn along the way but really appreciate your explanations and helping it make sense. I have seen that in the classes if two lifters draw the least body weight lifter wins overall, so that make sense too on ratio of power I'd assume .
    Jane

wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000)
    My favorite from the 53kg

Cristina Iovu

iPad won't let me post a photo but have a google. Tall girl and impressive for her height if you look at the size of the silver/gold medal winners from that class.

See that is the sort of thing I was expecting but the class was 65+ today, so the explanation does make sense there were a couple slimmer women lifting. Really look great.
    I have mainly been watching for technique and for an idea of what I 'like' when it comes to build etc. lol I don't expect to lift like a professional or look like one, but the right build and strength can look great.
    Jane

tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by wakechica View Post
    My favorite from the 53kg

Cristina Iovu

iPad won't let me post a photo but have a google. Tall girl and impressive for her height if you look at the size of the silver/gold medal winners from that class.
    I was waiting for someone to mention her!! Amazing.