Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Home gym 'til I die. ProtienandIron's Avatar
    ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

York Fitness (NOT York Barbell) olympic barbell plates review.

***THIS POST IS ABOUT YORK FITNESS (based in the UK), NOT YORK BARBELL (based in the US)***
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Some people on this forum are aware of the problems I have had with my York Fitness oly plates for some time. I have tryed to refrain from being too public about the matter as I have/had respect for the brand. I am also a firm believer in giving a company a chance to redeem themselves and put right a wrong. One more time, I am going to stress that this is aimed at York Fitness not York Barbell. I'll explain the difference later in the review.

Heres a bit of background knowledge on the matter; I have bought these plates over the last 3 years in stages, building my collection slowly. All my plates were bought new from reputable dealers such as Watsons Gym Equipment, and Amazon, with the orders being fulfilled by York (fitness). As time went on I was noticing more and more defects with the workmanship on the plates. Because of this I decided to call York to see if they could resolve the matter. I will not go into the customer service that I recieved as it is not really relevent to this post, but lets just say it consisted of a months worth of multiple emails back and forth, lots of false promises, missed deadlines, and unreturned emails and calls.

So whats the difference between York Barbell and York Fitness? http://www.yorkfitness.com/about-us/our-history.aspx This link on the York Fitness site explains the confusion a bit, but it is basically dressing it up a little. The jist of it is (in my opinion, and memory) that York Barbell over in the US was the awesome brand that we have come to know and love... check my crew allegences.... They have/had a strong history in the lifting game, with excellent equipment that has stood the test of time. York Fitness on the other hand were always a budget home brand, similar to the cheaper weider stuff like benches and weights. There big bold red and black branding were similar, and there names were practically the same (YF used to just call themselves YORK). A deal (I can only imagine how much money was involved) brought the 2 companies together in 2004. This is a good thing for us in the UK right?... wrong. York Fitness are still making the cheap rubbish they did years ago, only now they are riding the coattails of the brand name that started it all.

It is my opinion that York Barbell should go back to doing what they do best, and distance themselves as much as they can from this company as the good name of YB is being dragged through the mud by York Fitness.

These are the plates I am refering to:

Shown below is the first email I sent to York Fitness following my phonecall to them. It explains what most of my issues were with the plates. In following email traffic I was able to find all my receipts stretching over 3 years. Half the plates were in warrenty, half werent- hense I wanted to see what they as a company were prepared to do about it.

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________

Reference York Fitness Olympic Weights.

I have bought approximatly 500kgs worth of York olympic weight plates. I bought them based on Yorks good reputation, and the fact that I have had York standard weights from my early teens through to my 30s. On arrival I have been very dissapointed with the drop in quality, and lack of QC. Apart from the design and colour of the plates, I have nothing good that I can say about them.

The difference in weights of the 20s are well beyond normal tolerance levels.
    The paint is so weak that the slightest knock or contact causes it to chip. (My whole gym is covered in high quality rubber matting, and even that is not enough to protect them).
    The paint used on the weights appears to have been done in a very contaminated environment, as all of my 20s look like they have been sprayed over rust/dust/or flakes of metal from other parts of the manufacturing process.
    The castings are so bad that in all my years as a gym user, and gym instructor, I have never seen worse. They are pitted, have sharp edges, some have bulges out of the side, and some have dips in them. Some look like they have been attacked with an angle grinder.
    The outside of the plates have a camber that never allows them to sit flat on the floor when set up for deadlifts or similar. This combined with a sharp edge means that the metal on some of my plates has already chipped after minimal use of which all is on rubber mats within my home gym.
    One of my plates arrived completly snapped in half. I had this refunded at the time by Watsons Gym Equipment, but it showed me just how weak the plates were and I have babied them ever since.
    One of my 20kg plates is almost curved. -When it is stacked on top of another plate, you can see a big gap all the way through to the bar.
    The holes are all so big that they don't sit well even on a York bar. I have 3 olympic bars from other manufacturers, aswell as a high quality Texas Power Bar, and they all have up to 5mm slack at the bottom which causes the weights to rattle all over the place even with bulldog collars.
    For all the reasons above, it is my opinion that these weights are not fit for purpose.

I bought these plates on the assumption that they are high quality pieces of equipment by a high quality brand. When I see photos of the high quality of the plates being produced by York Barbell over in the states I feel very dissapointed by my purchase. I have bought them all over the past two years (new) from Watsons, and Amazon.co.uk. I don't have any reciepts. Most of the deliveries I have had have been fullfiled by yourselves so I am hoping you may still have some record of this. Photos can be supplied of all the defects and quantities on request.

Please advise how you are going to resolve this matter. You can call me on the number below to discuss.

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________

Now here are some photos you may just find interesting. I only have a crap camera but hopefully you can see where I am coming from.

If you look closely you will notice a large gap between the plates. At the time I took this photo I didn't even notice it was there. It is caused by the plate being completely warped like a salvador dali clock, leaving a 5mm gap between the plates. Many were like this.

My plan was to take a load more photos and close ups showing the plates, but I was glad to just get rid of them in the end. I have a few more which I will try and add as the thread progresses, I just need to find them.

Edit 1: Heres a few more pics, sorry for the bad photography;

This pic is of a couple of the small plates. Look at the edges, one plate has a chunk missing, and the other has a chunk added. THis is due to very dodgy casting.

This pic shows the same lumps and bumps, but more importanly it shows the side profile of the plates which is a major flaw. All the plates are this shape, which means they don't sit flat on the flaw when deadlifting. Even when you put collars on tight, they push the collars away. There is absolutly no comparison to these and milled Yorks.

This pic shows the amount of clearance be on the hole that the advertise proudly as 'machine bored'. ...I'm guessing they used a washing machine!

This one shows the 'Salvador Dali clock' plates. It was hard to show properly on camerabut basically I squeezed the plates together flush at the bottom, this is the gap it made at the top. I couldn't believe my eyes the first time I saw it.

This pic shows a large chip of metal off one of the sharp edges of the plate, which as stated in the complaint is just an inherant design flaw. All my weights are carefully used on rubber matting or a power rack, so there is no excuse for this. Again, sorry for the dodgey camera work, the metal bounced the flash back.

Want to know how strong the Iron is and whether they will stand the test of time? Check this plate out;

In summary, UK buyers- AVOID YORK FITNESS UNLESS YOU GET THEM VERY, VERY CHEAP. Even then, buy them with a view to selling them on as they are honestly the worse plates I have ever come across.

Sorry for the wall of text, I just hope this post helps someone.
    Last edited by ProtienandIron; 07-24-2012 at 12:30 PM.
    My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

[]---[] Equipment Crew #43 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #1 -!!!---!!!-
    ()---() York Barbell Club #4 ()---()

Milk is for babies. michaelstone's Avatar
    michaelstone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michaelstone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michaelstone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michaelstone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michaelstone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michaelstone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michaelstone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michaelstone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michaelstone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michaelstone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michaelstone is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    wow the pic is worth a thousand words for sure...can't believe it's just snapped liked that...
    "It's common knowledge man. You should only use Indica for bulking, Sativa for cutting."

"Who needs proper form? He was too busy setting PR's! Forget proper form, acquire PR's!"

"It's STILL your MUTHAFU$KIN set!!!!"

“Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but nobody wants to lift no heavy-ass weights.”

ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by michaelstone View Post
    wow the pic is worth a thousand words for sure...can't believe it's just snapped liked that...
    Yep! And I can't believe a weight plate can be shaped like a banana, who knew.

Last edited by ProtienandIron; 07-23-2012 at 09:16 AM.
    My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

michaelstone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michaelstone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michaelstone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michaelstone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michaelstone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michaelstone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michaelstone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michaelstone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michaelstone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michaelstone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michaelstone is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    yes that's crazy too...when I'm looking for new plates for myself I'm going to make sure they're american made...i think mine aren't

EDIT: actually we make York stuff in canada too, in oakville I believe. I have to believe that our QC is better than chinas
    "It's common knowledge man. You should only use Indica for bulking, Sativa for cutting."

"Who needs proper form? He was too busy setting PR's! Forget proper form, acquire PR's!"

“Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but nobody wants to lift no heavy-ass weights.”

It is that very reason that a year ago I made it my mission to elliminate all china products from my gym. My rack is british/welsh, my benches are british fabricated, as is my plate stand. Even my kettlebells were made in a british foundry by a british blacksmith. Poorly built weights equipment is a chinese conspiracy to make us all weak for the impending invasion.
    My training log:
    ---------------

Originally Posted by ProtienandIron View Post
    Poorly built weights equipment is a chinese conspiracy to make us all weak for the impending invasion.
    good strategy...

anyone have any issues with canadian made York equipment?

Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000)
    My first Olympic set was york. The plates are pretty good (not quite as good as the vintage deep dishes I have) and the bar is obviously so-so for a starter Oly set -better than the Fitness Depot bar, though.

Rogue Power Bar is probably going to be my Christmas present =)

Originally Posted by Vmango View Post
    My first Olympic set was york. The plates are pretty good (not quite as good as the vintage deep dishes I have) and the bar is obviously so-so for a starter Oly set -better than the Fitness Depot bar, though.

Rogue Power Bar is probably going to be my Christmas present =)
    You're referring to York BARBELL (US), totally different kettle of fish. Although I wish both YB and YF would stop having their weights made in China and go back to thier roots.
    My training log:
    ---------------

Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000)
    I know I'm referring to York Barbell (the made in Canada ones). I live in Ontario like michaelstone.

Originally Posted by Vmango View Post
    I know I'm referring to York Barbell (the made in Canada ones). I live in Ontario like michaelstone.
    OIC.

The quality of products in the states/canada seems to get mixed (but good) reviews, which is why I have aimed to separate YB from YF as much as possible. I don't see why YB should get a bad rap because of the clowns over here in the UK.
    My training log:
    ---------------

OIC.

The quality of products in the states/canada seems to get mixed (but good) reviews, which is why I have aimed to separate YB from YF as much as possible. I don't see why YB should get a bad rap because of the clowns over here in the UK.
    No, I can't believe the crap in those pictures. I mean, plates that might not fit super-snug on a bar are one thing but bent and snapping plates is just brutal.

Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I always thought it was required to apply great force to break thick iron like that. Did it happen after casual dropping?

Originally Posted by Jetigen View Post
    I always thought it was required to apply great force to break thick iron like that. Did it happen after casual dropping?
    No, it arrived like that. If you look to the right you can see the receipt, and on the left is the box it came in. The box was in good condition so when I opened it to see the plate I was surprised. When you look at the 'grain' of the metal its almost bubbly/aerated and very weak looking. From that day on the writing was on the wall for the York plates. Many of the plates had big casting pits and you could even see where they had filled some of the bigger holes with weld or filler.

Its funny, but they even sounded wrong. When most weight plates hit each other they make a clang, or a solid thud. But these just sounded dull, and because of the bad hole tolerences, and the misshapened plates, as you could imagine they were rattling all over the place.

For the record, I am no engineer or welder so some of my terminology may be off but hopefully you can see what I mean.

Heres another pic of the broken York Fitness Hammertone Olympic Weight plate.

Last edited by ProtienandIron; 07-24-2012 at 11:00 AM.
    My training log:
    ---------------

Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000)
    No, it arrived like that. If you look to the right you can see the receipt, and on the left is the box it came in. The box was in good condition so when I opened it to see the plate I was surprised.
    Sounds like a shady company then. Shipping broken plates goes beyond Quality Control. It sucks that York Barbell is associated with them.

A deal (I can only imagine how much money was involved) brought the 2 companies together in 2004.

Originally Posted by Jetigen View Post
    Sounds like a shady company then. Shipping broken plates goes beyond Quality Control. It sucks that York Barbell is associated with them.
    The plate was probably broken in transit, but there is no way a weight plate should get broken in the mail while covered in cardboard and plastic. As I said, the box didn't look like it was misstreated (any more then normal anyway). If it can't handle transit in a van, then its got no hope in a gym IMO.

With regards to the deal, it was indeed very shady (for the consumer) IMHO. I have grown up knowing there was a big difference between the two brands, and it was common knowledge on some forums that YFitness was using the YORK brand for thier own gains. YORK barbell apparently werent happy with this at the time, but I guess in 2004 YF got so big/prosperous that they decided 'if you can't beat them, join them'. Thats all just opinion, I obviously don't know the ins and out of the dealings, just what I have read from forums and my own conclusions. Maybe Alison could shed some proper light on it all.
    My training log:
    ---------------

Just edited the first post to include some more pics. I can only post 8 on there so I'll stick my last one on here.

This pic shows the general rough finish on the edge of most of the plates. This wouldn't bother me so much if they were at least strong.

Notice the paint is how it was from the factory. I wish I could say this was just one of the plates, but most are like this.
    My training log:
    ---------------

haku123 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) haku123 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) haku123 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) haku123 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) haku123 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) haku123 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) haku123 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) haku123 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) haku123 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) haku123 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) haku123 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    wow that's very dodgy. thanks for posting the pictures. shocking.

twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I've been waiting for this post ever since you bought the new plates. Some of the 20's weighed almost 25kg (as per other thread), eh ? That is ridiculous to say the least. I'm very happy with the vintage Yorks I have found, as most plates near me are Caps and they aren't a whole lot better than what you had. Between these, and Ivanko having lent their name out to Impex for db's, it seems companines don't care about how their name looks in public. At least Ivanko learned their lesson (hopefully) and won't do it again. I'd love to see York return to their old old selves but, sadly, I don't think it will be.

Nice post P&I and you've been more than fair to York.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do, than by the ones you did" Mark Twain

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats" H. L. Mencken

[]---[] Equipment Crew #42 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #18 ()---()

MC707 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MC707 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MC707 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MC707 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MC707 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MC707 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MC707 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MC707 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MC707 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MC707 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MC707 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    York Fitness? Damn, talk about copyright infringement. Wonder how they pull it off. lol

Originally Posted by haku123 View Post
    wow that's very dodgy. thanks for posting the pictures. shocking.
    This is the only proper review that I know of on these plates. The reviews on Amazon are a joke, they are almost all written by noobs, nothing wrong with that, but they are just happy to have a lump of metal with shiney paint. ...so I was sure to aware people on there too.

Originally Posted by twodog View Post
    I've been waiting for this post ever since you bought the new plates. Some of the 20's weighed almost 25kg (as per other thread), eh ? That is ridiculous to say the least. I'm very happy with the vintage Yorks I have found, as most plates near me are Caps and they aren't a whole lot better than what you had. Between these, and Ivanko having lent their name out to Impex for db's, it seems companines don't care about how their name looks in public. At least Ivanko learned their lesson (hopefully) and won't do it again. I'd love to see York return to their old old selves but, sadly, I don't think it will be.

Nice post P&I and you've been more than fair to York.
    Thanks mate. I too hope that York and other companies learn from this. But if nothing else, I hope that I can put one or two people off buying this junk.

I gave them nearly 2 months to sort something the problem out and they just decided to not bother. Initially on the phone they said they couldn't give me a refund because I didn't have reciepts.... "my hands are tied" he said... but when I produced my reciepts in my next email, they still weren't very willing to honour thier product. I have 10 emails back and forth with receipts, photos and write ups and they just stalled me every time. They would promise to call or email and I'd give a week or two with no phone call.

When I called I was offered an exchange for some new ones. This was not acceptable to me in this case as the problem I have with the product is the design, as well as the quality.

In the end they (QC manager) said I could get them refunded but only if I go through the shops. This was dissapointing as they were ultimatly the ones that fulfill the order (they drop ship). But I thought this was my best shot at getting my money back. I asked the QC manager if he wouldn't mind contacting the companies prior to me doing so- to save me having trouble or resistance when I called. "Of course" he said. One week later had he called? ...had he ****. When challenged on the matter I was told that he was 'too busy'. The 'Quality Control' manager of York Fitness being busy is a joke that writes itself.

So that was about 2 months of hassle with no resolution.
    My training log:
    ---------------

Originally Posted by MC707 View Post
    York Fitness? Damn, talk about copyright infringement. Wonder how they pull it off. lol
    I think, at a guess, it was an international trademark problem. But since they are big players over here I reckon YB decided it would be in thier best financial interest to join them. I guess only the folks at york really know the true story, but from this side of the pond its all a little decieptfull. All I know is that I spent about £1000 on weights to find this out. I managed to get some of my money back from selling them on ebay, but I'm still out of pocket. Hopefully no one else here makes the same mistake.
    My training log:
    ---------------

LOL, this is the write up that Watsons Gym Equipment (a well respected name in UK iron) have as thier write up on the plates;

"There are a lot of Cast Plates on the market and a lot of them are very cheap. While these appear to be incredible value for money most people who use them find that the castings are of extremely poor quality meaning the actual weight of the plates varies enormously and they are prone to breaking.
    York Barbell have been making Cast Plates for years and of all the Plates we have seen these offer the best in terms of quality and value.
    Basically really good quality plates that will take years of abuse at a great price."
    http://www.gymequipment.uk.com/store...pic_Plate.html

I'm pretty sure most of this blurb used to be on the York Fitness site too? ...I wonder why they would take it down?

Don't believe the hype people.
    My training log:
    ---------------

And for the final twist of the blade. These York Fitness (NOT BARBELL) olympic plates have now officially been inducted into the 'Workout Equipment Hall of Shame'.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...5059871&page=3
    Last edited by ProtienandIron; 07-24-2012 at 09:15 AM.
    My training log:
    ---------------

KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Crying shame.

Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ]

Want to know how strong the Iron is and whether they will stand the test of time? Check this plate out;

In summary, UK buyers- AVOID YORK FITNESS UNLESS YOU GET THEM VERY, VERY CHEAP. Even then, buy them with a view to selling them on as they are honestly the worse plates I have ever come across.

Sorry for the wall of text, I just hope this post helps someone.
    That is really piss poor quality. A casting like that designed for what it is, should not break like that. That's a big disappointment. Shame shame.
    β–ͺβ–ˆβ–ˆβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ͺ Ivanko Barbell Crew #3 β–ͺβ–ˆβ–ˆβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ͺ

β—‹---β—‹ [[[[-----]]]] York Barbell Crew #52 [[[[-----]]]] β—‹---β—‹
    ( DD Crew, Globes, Kg's, + )

β–ͺβ–ˆβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β–ˆβ–ͺ Equipment Crew #45 β–ͺβ–ˆβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β–ˆβ–ͺ

~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

Originally Posted by KeithTheSnake View Post
    Crying shame.
    Yes it is. Thats why I gave them so many chances to rectify it.

Originally Posted by Northernmoris View Post

That is really piss poor quality. A casting like that designed for what it is, should not break like that. That's a big disappointment. Shame shame.
    Its dissgraceful that a product advertised as being high quality, and going for the price they sell them at could be as bad as this. Each one of those 20kg plates is being sold on the York Fitness site for £49.99, thats about 75dollars US!!! Its greed and a complete lack of concern for thier customers that has caused this.
    My training log:
    ---------------

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    I'm not often shocked at pics of gym equipment, but your pics really caught me by surprise. Those plates not only look awful, but the sharp edges on the castings are a definite safety hazard. I had to look twice at the pic showing how loose the fit was on the bar of that one plate.

I've seen some low-quality cast plates before, but nothing as bad as what's shown ITT.

Based on this post, I'd have to advise people to stay away from this company.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    I'm not often shocked at pics of gym equipment, but your pics really caught me by surprise. Those plates not only look awful, but the sharp edges on the castings are a definite safety hazard. I had to look twice at the pic showing how loose the fit was on the bar of that one plate.

I've seen some low-quality cast plates before, but nothing as bad as what's shown ITT.

Based on this post, I'd have to advise people to stay away from this company.
    You are absolutely right Bill. The design of them is terrible and the poor quality raw materials just compound the issue. Throw in some bad workmanship and you officially have the worst set of plates ever made. Hopefully other people over here will notice these problems and get on to the company themselves to complain. I don't mind chinese imports, so long as they are good quality and fit for purpose. A weight made of brittle metal that doesnt sit flat on a bar (due too the large hole and angled rims), and doesn't weigh anything close to what it says- is not fit for purpose.
    My training log:
    ---------------

Notevenlegs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Notevenlegs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Notevenlegs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Notevenlegs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Notevenlegs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Notevenlegs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Notevenlegs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Notevenlegs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Notevenlegs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Notevenlegs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Notevenlegs has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Yeah, my gym has these, and at peak times I just wait until the Swedish plates (Eleko?) are available.

Originally Posted by Notevenlegs View Post
    Yeah, my gym has these, and at peak times I just wait until the Swedish plates (Eleko?) are available.
    LMAO, thats a pretty easy choice to make. Eleiko are the elite.

When those York Fitness plates break, be sure to post a pic on here.
    My training log:
    ---------------