Detrus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Detrus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Detrus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Detrus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Detrus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Detrus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Detrus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Detrus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Detrus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Detrus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Detrus is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

B&R or Castro vs Rogue bar for Room gym

Couple of questions:

1. Bare steel has to be oiled weekly with 3 in 1 or maybe WD-40 to stay shiny. How much does this smell? I sleep and watch TV in the same room, really don't like chemical smells.

2. B&R is used at Westside Barbell for rack pulls and is still straight. Does that mean you too can use it for pulls against the advice of using a cheap bent bar for the purpose?

3. B&R has a gap in the sleeve that some people find frustrating. I have tight fitting hole plates, how annoying will it be?

4. Black zinc on Rogue bar is supposed to be "chalky" and a better grip than chrome and bright zinc. But how much worse is it than bare steel?

5. My hand is 7 1/2 inches from wrist to tip of middle finger. Should I opt for lowest diameter? How do I tell if it will be a problem on power cleans?

Thanks
    Last edited by Detrus; 07-09-2012 at 05:48 PM. Reason: measured own hand wrong. Embarassing
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #24 -!!!---!!!-

Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Tagged, because I'm kinda looking for a good do-it-all bar.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"An adult male weighs at least 200 pounds." - Mark Rippetoe

▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #44 ▪█──█▪

||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #11 ||---||

twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Detrus View Post
    Couple of questions:

1. Bare steel has to be oiled weekly with 3 in 1 or maybe WD-40 to stay shiny. How much does this smell? I sleep and watch TV in the same room, really don't like chemical smells.

2. B&R is used at Westside Barbell for rack pulls and is still straight. Does that mean you too can use it for pulls against the advice of using a cheap bent bar for the purpose?

3. B&R has a gap in the sleeve that some people find frustrating. I have tight fitting hole plates, how annoying will it be?

4. Black zinc on Rogue bar is supposed to be "chalky" and a better grip than chrome and bright zinc. But how much worse is it than bare steel?

5. My hand is 5 1/2 inches from wrist to tip of middle finger. Should I opt for lowest diameter? How do I tell if it will be a problem on power cleans?

Thanks
    I'm not sure about the other questions, but #1. If you oil or WD-40 weekly, in your small area, the smell will be prevalent. My guns all have the well oiled smell where I store them, I personally like the smell, but I'm also not living in th area. You have had previous problems with CAP plate stench, so I would have to believe a raw bar bar should not be in your future as long as you don't have a dedicated lifting area.

If your hands are truly 5-1/2" from wrist to middle finger end then they are small and you may want to go with a 25mm bar. My dughters and wife have hands about that size and we have a 25mm bar for them and it's their choice for everything but squats. I think you could probably get away with a 28. or 28.5mm bar on everything but heavy olympic lifts where it will be easier to use a hook grip on the 25mm bar. The other option is the use straps for oly lifts, providing you are only doing them for exercise and not competetively.

Good luck on everything else.
    Last edited by twodog; 07-09-2012 at 05:37 PM.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do, than by the ones you did" Mark Twain

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats" H. L. Mencken

[]---[] Equipment Crew #42 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #18 ()---()

Detrus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Detrus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Detrus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Detrus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Detrus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Detrus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Detrus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Detrus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Detrus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Detrus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Detrus is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by twodog View Post
    If you oil or WD-40 weekly, in your small area, the smell will be prevalent. My guns all have the well oiled smell where I store them, I personally like the smell, but I'm also not living in th area. You have had previous problems with CAP plate stench, so I would have to believe a raw bar bar should not be in your future as long as you don't have a dedicated lifting area.

If your hands are truly 5-1/2" from wrist to middle finger end then they are small and you may want to go with a 25mm bar.
    Heh yea if there's a prevalent smell that does force my choice. Thanks.

I actually have a 25mm spinlock bar and hate using it compared to 28mm. I just measured way wrong, how the hell did that happen! I'm 7 1/2 inches from wrist to tip of middle finger, damn.

Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000)
    Couple of questions:

5. My hand is 7 1/2 inches from wrist to tip of middle finger. Should I opt for lowest diameter? How do I tell if it will be a problem on power cleans?

Thanks
    I would probably skip B&R because of terrible QC at York and hassle of dealing with the raw steel.
    It has a great spec but implementation suffers (questionable wobbly end caps design, straight bar is an exception rather than norm, gap between collar and sleeve, bad packaging for shipping). Plenty of complaints on crossfit board, like this one
    http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=76511
    Rogue bar on the other hand is made by Pendlay, I don't have first hand experience with Rogue bar but can vouch for Pendlay HD Nexgen quality, it also has higher tensility steel so unless you desperately need center knurling like on Rogue Power bar I'd go for the original Pendlay.

Northernmoris is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Northernmoris is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Northernmoris is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Northernmoris is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Northernmoris is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Northernmoris is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Northernmoris is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Northernmoris is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Northernmoris is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Northernmoris is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Northernmoris is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Word on the street is that quality control is slipping on the B&R. I almost bought a Rogue power bar until the TPB was $259 shipped. I have the Operator bar which I love. The knurling is great, the bar feels great in the hand.
    ▪██─────██▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #3 ▪██─────██▪

○---○ [[[[-----]]]] York Barbell Crew #52 [[[[-----]]]] ○---○
    ( DD Crew, Globes, Kg's, + )

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #54 ▪█─────█▪

~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

Yea I read a lot of the B&R quality control and shipping threads, but there weren't that many. Maybe 5-10 out of how many bars that people order here? Is that too much? Does Rogue share any stats on the number of returns or exchanges? They say they replaced maybe 10 Rogue bars that were dropped from on safeties by incompetent lifters. That's why they can afford to have that ridiculous warranty for now. And one B&R was bent from uneven box drop.

Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yea I read a lot of the B&R quality control and shipping threads, but there weren't that many. Maybe 5-10 out of how many bars that people order here? Is that too much? Does Rogue share any stats on the number of returns or exchanges? They say they replaced maybe 10 Rogue bars that were dropped from on safeties by incompetent lifters. That's why they can afford to have that ridiculous warranty for now. And one B&R was bent from uneven box drop.
    B&R is not Rogue bar, it's made by York. And the quality of that brand went to the drain recently. Bending unloaded bar by dropping the box is pretty darn impossible, esp at the 205K tensile strength rate. But sounds like you've made up your mind on B&R already, just go ahead then, there are plenty of happy users as well.

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
    B&R is not Rogue bar, it's made by York. And the quality of that brand went to the drain recently. Bending unloaded bar by dropping the box is pretty darn impossible, esp at the 205K tensile strength rate. But sounds like you've made up your mind on B&R already, just go ahead then, there are plenty of happy users as well.
    No I made up my mind on Rogue bar. As I understand the bent B&R was loaded, one side landed on a box, the other on floor. What other box accident could bend it? The one at Westside barbell is used for rack pulls and is still straight according to Rogue. Don't know if they measured. It would be nice to have only one bar for everything but I can't have it smell.

Cleveland33 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Cleveland33 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Cleveland33 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Cleveland33 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Cleveland33 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Cleveland33 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Cleveland33 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Cleveland33 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Cleveland33 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Cleveland33 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Cleveland33 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Detrus what's your price point?

I have a vintage York Oly bar that I am going to move soon and I would put it up against any bar that Rogue currently offers.
    tecom rated 100% patriot

[]---[] Equipment Crew #37 []---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #3 ()---()

�You want science and studies? **** you. I�ve got scars and blood and vomit.�
    -Wendler

dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Given the choice between a Rogue product and a York (current) product at similar price points, I would go with Rogue. I base this decision on the many complaints I've seen on bulletin boards and my own purchases from both companies. I know that Pendlay made some of the earlier Rogue bars, but I didn't think they were making them anymore.

@Detrus - Maybe I missed it, but what will be your major uses for the bar (I see that you do plan to do power cleans). Do you actually plan on doing rack pulls with it?
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #39 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #2 ▪█─────█▪

▪[[[[────]]]]▪ York Barbell Club #93 (DD) ▪[[[[────]]]]▪

▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #10 ▪[M]====[6]▪

186lbs in Avatar

Originally Posted by dumb.bell View Post
    Given the choice between a Rogue product and a York (current) product at similar price points, I would go with Rogue. I base this decision on the many complaints I've seen on bulletin boards and my own purchases from both companies. I know that Pendlay made some of the earlier Rogue bars, but I didn't think they were making them anymore.

@Detrus - Maybe I missed it, but what will be your major uses for the bar (I see that you do plan to do power cleans). Do you actually plan on doing rack pulls with it?
    Yes I plan to do some power cleans and won't dream of rack pulls with Rogue bar. Maybe with some sort of nylon strap or free-spotter setup but I'm not risking that bar. Otherwise want one general purpose bar for bench, DL, squat, etc.

I already ordered the Rogue bar Cleveland.
    Last edited by Detrus; 07-10-2012 at 04:13 PM. Reason: clarification

dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yes I plan to do some power cleans and won't dream of rack pulls with Rogue bar. Maybe with some sort of nylon strap or free-spotter setup but I'm not risking that bar.

I already ordered the Rogue bar Cleveland.
    Cleveland's vintage York might have been a good option, but I like the Rogue bar, I think you made a pretty good choice. I agree, that I would not use that bar for rack pulls, and was actually going to suggest nylon straps. I also like the black finish on the Rogue bar.

186lbs in Avatar

BasementGym is on a distinguished road. (+10) BasementGym is on a distinguished road. (+10) BasementGym is on a distinguished road. (+10) BasementGym is on a distinguished road. (+10) BasementGym is on a distinguished road. (+10) BasementGym is on a distinguished road. (+10) BasementGym is on a distinguished road. (+10) BasementGym is on a distinguished road. (+10) BasementGym is on a distinguished road. (+10) BasementGym is on a distinguished road. (+10) BasementGym is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I went through three B&R bars recently before I received one in acceptable enough shape that I was willing to keep it. In addition, I bought a York bench that showed up with a big gash in the paint. The quality control definitely isn't there, as others have reported. Stuff I get off of CL I expect to be a little beat up. There is no excuse for a new product to be anything less than perfect.

I do have to say that Rogue customer service was amazing with replacing the bars and understanding my frustration with the whole thing. And the bar that I kept is pretty great and well worth the hassle. CFF was also good about getting York to send a bottle of touch up paint that wasn't too dried out to use.

Cliff notes: I recommend the B&R bar (but maybe not in the OP's situation), Rogue, and CFF but am on the fence about recommending new York products. Great stuff when you get something with no defects but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

I agree, that I would not use that bar for rack pulls, and was actually going to suggest nylon straps.
    What kind of nylon strap setup do you envision for rack pulls?

What kind of nylon strap setup do you envision for rack pulls?

My thoughts were to suspend the bar from the top of the rack so that it hangs at the level where the rack pins would have been. You should then be able to lift up from that position and when you come back down the straps catch the bar at the bottom. Similar to this Sorinex video. In the first of the video he talks about using the straps as I discussed above for squats, but near the end of the video he refers to doing hanging pulls, which I think is what I was describing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeY-I...eature=related

186lbs in Avatar

My thoughts were to suspend the bar from the top of the rack so that it hangs at the level where the rack pins would have been. You should then be able to lift up from that position and when you come back down the straps catch the bar at the bottom. Similar to this Sorinex video. In the first of the video he talks about using the straps as I discussed above for squats, but near the end of the video he refers to doing hanging pulls, which I think is what I was describing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeY-I...eature=related
    Yea I was planning a similar setup with nylon straps from the top, only hanging off Rogue S-2's cantilevered safeties. They would be a above where you normally expect safeties to be handling high weights, so not sure if that's practical, but then I'm DLing like 280 lb now so it's distant theoretical future.