corsair773 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) corsair773 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) corsair773 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) corsair773 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) corsair773 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) corsair773 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) corsair773 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) corsair773 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) corsair773 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) corsair773 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) corsair773 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

New to this - how do I proceed?

Hi,

I've been reading around this forum for a while now, been reading articles, and stuff is starting to make sense. I'm thinking about starting on Ripptoe's plan. A bit of background on me: I'm 6 feet 0 inches, and in 2009 I weighed around 109 kg and 33% body fat. In those days I was convinced that very low calorie diets were the way to go and I would, for periods of 5-8 weeks at a time cut my calories to 1200 a day or so. Then in the next few months I would gain some of it back, but overall I managed to lose weight over the 3 year period - I now weigh 92 kg with 25.5% body fat.

But I've recently become convinced that temporary very low calorie dieting isn't the right path. Firstly, it's a quick-fix solution and it's nice to see yourself weigh less every week, but it's not bringing me closer to the kind of physique I would like to have. In addition, over 3 years all I have to show for my VLCDing is around 15 kg of weight loss - and I still feel fat. I've become fitter in many ways. I "enjoy" running - I regularly run 5K (at least once/twice a week) and in April I did the Reading Half Marathon (I'm from UK). But it's not getting me closer to, you know, looking good, being stronger etc.

So my question is: Given my past history of very low calorie dieting, should I try and bulk or should I do cutting? A picture is attached below for reference.

Second question - I have a thing where I like walking as much as possible. I guess it's part of my mentality of "every calorie burned helps". Would it be a good idea to walk the 1 hour 40 minutes to the gym before a workout and the same back? It's not as crazy as you think because public transport takes 1 hour, and costs £5 whilst walking is free and burns all those calories and only takes 40 minutes more. But would it hinder me in some way?

Another question I have is regarding gyms - I have a choice of my university gym which is very cheap - it has weight lifting facilities but not that much - it's more of a "rows of treadmills and cross-trainers" kind of place. But there are weights too and at the stage I'm at now I guess I do have all the equipment I might need. The other gym is more of a dirty Rocky-style gym. Like something out of "Pumping Iron" with huge dudes all over the place. The thing is, I went in to take a look around, and they all eyed me up and I saw them doing their 200 kg sets and it felt a bit too hardcore. Also, that gym is quite dirty and some of the equipment looks like it's seen better days. As a newbie, I feel very intimidated just going in and taking a look round, let alone actually exercising there. What do you guys think - which is a better choice?

I appreciate any help/advice you can give!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by corsair773; 07-05-2012 at 04:12 PM.

dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You need to be cutting mate, and you're right, a moderate deficit is the way to go. However, you can tailor your deficit to the amount of fat you have to lose. You could sustain a higher deficit now and taper it a little as you drop the pounds.

Walking won't hinder you at all, it's great, just not as time efficient as running. Ideally, build up to running, it's better for your CV health.

The gym doesn't matter really, just make sure it has lots of barbells, benches and a squat rack, you'll be fine.

None of the guys in a commercial gym cares who you are or what you're doing unless you're female and wearing spandex. I know it seems like they're all judging you, but believe me, it's all in your head.

FatGuy260 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FatGuy260 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FatGuy260 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FatGuy260 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FatGuy260 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FatGuy260 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FatGuy260 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FatGuy260 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FatGuy260 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FatGuy260 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FatGuy260 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You need to bulk op..eat as much as you can and lift. Don't listen to the people that say cut first. Bulk then cut.

Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    My advice from your picture is to keep eating at a deficit (lose only 1-2lbs a week) and start lifting heavy weights at the gym you prefer. You don't need much equipment. A squat rack, bench and barbells. What you do need though is a solid lifting program Like All Pro's Beginner Routine or Starting Strength to make use of em.

Since you still need to lower your BF% I suggest All Pro's Routine over Starting Strength. You can find his program as a sticky in the workout program forum. It uses 7 exercises 3x week and has a nice progression so that you can easily keep track of your progress. The program has over 20,000 responses throughout the past several years and has proven itself over and over by many people on here. I am still doing the program and loving the results I am getting. You should check it out. Building a physique is a marathon not a sprint and it will take time.

Congratulations on all the weight lost to date!
    Weighed - 281 lbs on 1/1/2012

▪█───────█▪ 6 Weeks to Shred ▪█───────█▪

6-8: 230.4 | 6-15: xxx.x | 6-22: xxx.x | 6-29: xxx.x | | Month Total: x.x lbs
    7-6: xxx.x | 7-13: xxx.x | 7-20: xxx.x || Month Total: 0.0 lbs
    Final Total: xxx.x lbs

~NitrogenWidget's One Year in the Green Crew - Feb 2012-Feb 2013~ = 76 lbs lost

~Army Veteran Crew~

ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by FatGuy260 View Post
    You need to bulk op..eat as much as you can and lift. Don't listen to the people that say cut first. Bulk then cut.
    And whatever you do, don't listen to this moron. His reputation power is red for a reason.

You are 6' tall and have about 150 pounds of lean body mass....55 pounds of fat on you...of which about 30 needs to come off.

If you are serious about getting a decent physique you first must realize that it will take time... years... but you can look much better in six months and decent in a year. The key to this will be diet, weight training, consistency and TIME.

Get your diet in order....get your weight training in order...

I'd suggest losing about a pound a week for the next 26 weeks...all the while lifting like a mad man.

Good Luck.
    A diet isn't punishment. A diet is a way to reward your body with the wholesome, nutritious food that it needs. Your body composition is a direct reflection of what you put in your mouth.

corsair773 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) corsair773 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) corsair773 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) corsair773 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) corsair773 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) corsair773 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) corsair773 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) corsair773 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) corsair773 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) corsair773 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) corsair773 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it and I get that it will take time and effort to get anywhere. I just hope I have the motivation to stick with it!