Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Out to lunch

Bloody but unbowed fittofattofit's Avatar
    fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Your benching is really getting strong now --- nice work on the PR!
    How do the rows go with your elbow and do you bother with straps at all?
    "Better to wear out than rust out!"

Squat 165kg/363lbs
    Deadlift 190kg/418lbs

lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by fittofattofit View Post
    Your benching is really getting strong now --- nice work on the PR!
    How do the rows go with your elbow and do you bother with straps at all?
    The 5th rep was my absolute limit which is odd considering the 95x7 is more work. Probably because I had to do rows before bench today due to the Monday bench campers. I just didn't write it that way here because it wasn't that way on the post-it note crib sheet I copied out of the spreadsheet before I hit the gym.

Low bar squats bother the elbow more than anything else but I widened my grip and it relieved the pressure at the cost of some tightness. If that hadn't worked I would have swapped to high bar, no pain that way. Rows are OK as long as I focus on the lift coming from my back and don't try to wrist curl the bar up at all, I don't use straps, just double overhand Pendlay style. Bench is weird, setting up hurts, then I feel no pain until near lockout on each rep.

The pain is radiating as far as my hand so I guess the ulnar nerve is affected by the inflammation. Flexing my grip open/closed is painful, holding my grip closed is fine.

fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by lunchbreak View Post
    The 5th rep was my absolute limit which is odd considering the 95x7 is more work. Probably because I had to do rows before bench today due to the Monday bench campers. I just didn't write it that way here because it wasn't that way on the post-it note crib sheet I copied out of the spreadsheet before I hit the gym.

Low bar squats bother the elbow more than anything else but I widened my grip and it relieved the pressure at the cost of some tightness. If that hadn't worked I would have swapped to high bar, no pain that way. Rows are OK as long as I focus on the lift coming from my back and don't try to wrist curl the bar up at all, I don't use straps, just double overhand Pendlay style. Bench is weird, setting up hurts, then I feel no pain until near lockout on each rep.

The pain is radiating as far as my hand so I guess the ulnar nerve is affected by the inflammation. Flexing my grip open/closed is painful, holding my grip closed is fine.
    I have had recurrent elbow pain for years .... it's either actively painful or lurking in the background. I've found the same: that rows are OK if I focus on pulling through the lats and avoid 'jerking' the weight up, and that on pressing I'm OK if I keep my elbows in (not that I do any heavy pressing at all)
    Those are strong Pendlay rows and that's good work going strapless .... I use straps at that weight but I expected that your grip would be very strong with all the strongman stuff .... no straps allowed there!

Squat 165kg/363lbs
    Deadlift 190kg/418lbs

lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I have had recurrent elbow pain for years .... it's either actively painful or lurking in the background. I've found the same: that rows are OK if I focus on pulling through the lats and avoid 'jerking' the weight up, and that on pressing I'm OK if I keep my elbows in (not that I do any heavy pressing at all)
    Those are strong Pendlay rows and that's good work going strapless .... I use straps at that weight but I expected that your grip would be very strong with all the strongman stuff .... no straps allowed there!
    Yeah I had severe tennis elbow on my right arm last year but the rest and 50% deload I did when I hurt my shoulder and swapped to SL 5x5 sorted that out. I always feel a bit of low level pointy elbow pain after a heavy log session, more so from the cleans than the presses, but this flare up in my left is of a different order of magnitude.

My grip has always been strong relative to my overall feebleness, probably stemming from the on the water rowing. I can double overhand at least 170Kg deadlift for a single, but it gets too tired to hold that for reps. Still I can DOHD more than 150Kg for 5 without the slightest worry about my grip so I doubt I'll be using straps for any weight I can use for Pendlay rows anytime soon. On the subject of rowing, I'm holding off for the next 2 weeks but I'll be getting back on the water for the start of this season once the comp is out of the way. I really need some CV fitness back, that strength conditioning session a few weeks ago nearly killed me.

DocJekyll is a name known to all. (+5000) DocJekyll is a name known to all. (+5000) DocJekyll is a name known to all. (+5000) DocJekyll is a name known to all. (+5000) DocJekyll is a name known to all. (+5000) DocJekyll is a name known to all. (+5000) DocJekyll is a name known to all. (+5000) DocJekyll is a name known to all. (+5000) DocJekyll is a name known to all. (+5000) DocJekyll is a name known to all. (+5000) DocJekyll is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thanks. A single breath and 1 second pause at the floor on each rep until the 5th, had to take a few for that one, no longer than 5 seconds though. None of that touch and go malarky here.
    I wouldn't expect anything less from you. Nice work of it man.

I have had elbow and forearm issues as well. They come and they go; but they always suck.
    Hope it starts healing for you soon.
    "Never Give Up. Great Things Take Time."
    - Frank Zane

IG: the_macro_mechanic

Originally Posted by DocJekyll View Post
    I have had elbow and forearm issues as well. They come and they go; but they always suck.
    Hope it starts healing for you soon.
    I was in a lot of pain yesterday so I booked an appointment with the doc. He prodded me a bit and moved my hand around stretching the musculature/tendons eliciting numerous winces of pain then told me I was best off having the injection to fix it, especially since I was determined to do the comp in a few weeks anyway. He did it then and there. Within an hour I no longer felt the pain I had been suffering, but I now feel like I've been kicked in the elbow instead. I guess that will disappear soon.

DocJekyll is a name known to all. (+5000) DocJekyll is a name known to all. (+5000) DocJekyll is a name known to all. (+5000) DocJekyll is a name known to all. (+5000) DocJekyll is a name known to all. (+5000) DocJekyll is a name known to all. (+5000) DocJekyll is a name known to all. (+5000) DocJekyll is a name known to all. (+5000) DocJekyll is a name known to all. (+5000) DocJekyll is a name known to all. (+5000) DocJekyll is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I was in a lot of pain yesterday so I booked an appointment with the doc. He prodded me a bit and moved my hand around stretching the musculature/tendons eliciting numerous winces of pain then told me I was best off having the injection to fix it, especially since I was determined to do the comp in a few weeks anyway. He did it then and there. Within an hour I no longer felt the pain I had been suffering, but I now feel like I've been kicked in the elbow instead. I guess that will disappear soon.
    Which is worse?
    - Frank Zane

jonnyboy44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jonnyboy44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jonnyboy44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jonnyboy44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jonnyboy44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jonnyboy44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jonnyboy44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jonnyboy44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jonnyboy44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jonnyboy44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jonnyboy44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    hope you get sorted soon
    My workout journal

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=148017503&welcome=true
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/jonthetrain

Yeah ..... I had lots on shoulder injections for tendonitis over the years and they always helped the pain but they never did anything for the cause of the problem. Of course they eventually all ruptured. Do the comp and then make sure that you work around the pain for a while so that the tendons get a chance to heal. Do you wear elbow straps when you're training and can you wear them in the comp?

Squat 165kg/363lbs
    Deadlift 190kg/418lbs

Yeah ..... I had lots on shoulder injections for tendonitis over the years and they always helped the pain but they never did anything for the cause of the problem. Of course they eventually all ruptured. Do the comp and then make sure that you work around the pain for a while so that the tendons get a chance to heal. Do you wear elbow straps when you're training and can you wear them in the comp?
    I think I'm allowed sleeves in the comp, I ordered some of these which should arrive today or tomorrow and I have a golfers elbow strap that you place around the forearm. I've never used any sort of sleeve or knee wraps etc before. I also ordered some Spider Tack Light as John's tub of competition grade stuff is too stiff to use in the temperatures we are currently seeing.

They make a tack specifically for Atlas Stones! Mind = blown!

Squat 165kg/363lbs
    Deadlift 190kg/418lbs

Originally Posted by DocJekyll View Post
    Which is worse?
    Not being able to use my hand was worse. The "kicked" feeling has gone now, I still have some pain in the elbow itself which shows up when yanking on a door handle etc but otherwise it feels pretty good.

They make a tack specifically for Atlas Stones! Mind = blown!
    What else would you use it for? I suppose one could slather it on and try to emulate spiderman but I don't think that would end well and you'd have to take a bath in white spirit to get it off again.

Originally Posted by jonnyboy44 View Post
    hope you get sorted soon
    Cheers, I know it'll go if I rest it. The question is what can I get away with between now and the 24th without causing more problems.

I currently use cissus for my joint/tendon pains. I have heard that Joint Force has some credibility.

I also use these product that I found once via mail order from one of my magazine subscriptions. It worked well, but the name escapes me atm. I will look for you later.

I know how you feel though, is rest ever really an option?
    - Frank Zane

Yeah ..... I had lots on shoulder injections for tendonitis over the years and they always helped the pain but they never did anything for the cause of the problem. Of course they eventually all ruptured.
    You know I've been looking into this. I'm kind of wishing I hadn't just gone along with the doc's suggestion, apparently rupture is more likely after the injection than before. Oh well, not a lot I can do now, I'll just have to be careful. I'm not sure what holds the greatest risk, maybe farmers walk as it is all about grip strength?

2013.03.13 Wednesday

Squat:
    5 x 60Kg
    5 x 72.5Kg
    5 x 87.5Kg
    5 x 87.5Kg

Strict standing military press:
    5 x 35Kg
    5 x 42.5Kg
    5 x 50Kg
    5 x 57.5Kg

Split jerk:
    3 x 65Kg
    1 x 70Kg
    1 x 75Kg
    1 x 80Kg
    1 x 85Kg
    1 x 90Kg <- PB (@87.8Kg body weight)

Deadlift: (used straps throughout due to elbow)
    5 x 110Kg
    5 x 132.5Kg
    5 x 152.5Kg
    5 x 175Kg <- Rep PB. Easier than last week's weights.
    Last edited by lunchbreak; 03-13-2013 at 01:06 PM.

2013.03.13 Wednesday

Squat:
    5 x 60Kg
    5 x 72.5Kg
    5 x 87.5Kg
    5 x 87.5Kg

5 x 35Kg
    5 x 42.5Kg
    5 x 50Kg
    5 x 57.5Kg

Split jerk:
    3 x 65Kg
    1 x 70Kg
    1 x 75Kg
    1 x 80Kg
    1 x 85Kg
    1 x 90Kg <- PB (@87.8Kg body weight)

Deadlift: (used straps throughout due to elbow)
    5 x 110Kg
    5 x 132.5Kg
    5 x 152.5Kg
    5 x 175Kg <- Rep PB. Easier than last week's weights.
    Great job on those deads! Very jelly!
    You've got an easy 200kg pull coming up

Squat 165kg/363lbs
    Deadlift 190kg/418lbs

Great job on those deads! Very jelly!
    You've got an easy 200kg pull coming up
    Yeah tried it a few weeks ago, got it 2-3 inches off the ground. Could probably pull it all the way now. I won't test it until after the comp tho.

Found this classification system interesting. It seems I'm not a novice anymore. My 1RM are all sat in the intermediate category with deadlifts being freakily out in front bumping up against the advanced category. Not bad for about a year of proper barbell training.

My lifting stats:

Exercise Calculated 1RM Last Tested 1RM Notes
    Military Press 150lb / 68Kg --- Progressing but still weak
    Bench 252lb / 114.3Kg --- My slowest progressing lift, often reset
    Row 230lb / 104.3Kg --- Feel strong at these, progressing well
    Squat 315lb / 142.8Kg --- Still working back up to my best
    Deadlift 435lb / 197.3Kg 419lb / 190Kg (9th Jan) Love these, rarely get stuck
    Last edited by lunchbreak; 03-14-2013 at 03:36 AM.

2013.03.15 Friday

Squat:
    5 x 60Kg
    5 x 72.5Kg
    5 x 87.5Kg
    5 x 100Kg
    3 x 120Kg
    5 x 87.5Kg

Bench:
    5 x 50Kg
    5 x 60Kg
    5 x 72.5Kg
    5 x 85Kg
    3 x 100Kg <- Fuark yeah 2pps working set at last
    8 x 72.5Kg

Row:
    5 x 60Kg
    5 x 60Kg
    5 x 72.5Kg
    5 x 82.5Kg
    3 x 95Kg
    8 x 72.5Kg

Farmers walk: (outside in the rain)
    10m drop&turn 10m x 18Kg per hand
    10m drop&turn 10m x 58Kg per hand
    10m drop&turn 10m x 78Kg per hand
    10m drop&turn 10m x 100.5Kg per hand. <- only 5 seconds of breathing before return this time, still slow over the ground

I was doing the farmers walk with Ryan and Liam. Ryan is slighter of build and yet matched me, possibly a touch quicker over the distance. Liam went up to 128Kg per hand, light for him. We were chatting, he told me to try picking it up. I thought wtf, 256Kg, no way, never going up... That's a quarter of a frickin' ton...

...And then...

1 x 256Kg (565lb) side handle Deadlift @16" !!! (No straps)
    Slowest pull ever but smooth. Effing pleased with that, just wish I had it on video. Held it for about 3 seconds at the top.
    Last edited by lunchbreak; 03-15-2013 at 02:12 PM.

jonnyboy44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jonnyboy44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jonnyboy44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jonnyboy44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jonnyboy44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jonnyboy44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jonnyboy44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jonnyboy44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jonnyboy44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jonnyboy44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jonnyboy44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    great work on the benching, thats one of my targets reps at 100k (managed 2 with a spotter)
    My workout journal

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=148017503&welcome=true
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/jonthetrain

Great job on the benching and the squatting. Your strength is still going up steadily!

Squat 165kg/363lbs
    Deadlift 190kg/418lbs

Thanks guys, bench has always been a weak lift for me. A little progress at last is nice to see but I doubt it'll go much further, especially as I'll be losing weight from next week, today was an huge struggle but I managed unassisted.

I was feeling the after affects of that 256Kg pull all weekend and today. My lat attachments ache, my traps feel abused and my entire ribcage complains when I pick up something heavy. My back was aching all through today's workout but didn't limit me.

Damn car broke down at the weekend too, clutch stopped working so I had to ditch it and walk home in a hailstorm. I was frozen and soaked to the skin by the time I got in. Thankfully once I got it recovered the problem turned out to be a slave cylinder rather than anything more expensive. Lucky since I need to drive it half way up the country this Saturday.

Squat:
    5 x 60Kg
    5 x 75Kg
    5 x 90Kg
    5 x 105Kg
    5 x 120Kg

Bench:
    5 x 50Kg
    5 x 62.5Kg
    5 x 75Kg
    5 x 87.5Kg
    5 x 100Kg <- rep PB

Row:
    5 x 60Kg
    5 x 60Kg
    5 x 72.5Kg
    5 x 82.5Kg
    5 x 95Kg

Hypers:
    4 x 12 x BW+15Kg

Chins:
    11, 6, 6, 6 x BW <- wtf, I take a week off and suddenly these become way harder!

Nice pull Bro - that is some serious iron you are moving around!
    - Frank Zane

I don't know about your bench being a 'weak lift', it looks like it hasn't been a focus up to now, but now your lifting is racing ahead. 100kg x 5 for a PR is strong and I suspect you'll find the weight bumps come quickly now. If you look at the first page of your log, you had a 90kg x 5 bench, 100kg x 5 squat and a 130kg x 5 deadlift. Now squats are 130kg for 5 reps and deads are close to 180kg for 5 reps
    Great progression so far Doug

Squat 165kg/363lbs
    Deadlift 190kg/418lbs

I don't know about your bench being a 'weak lift', it looks like it hasn't been a focus up to now, but now your lifting is racing ahead. 100kg x 5 for a PR is strong and I suspect you'll find the weight bumps come quickly now. If you look at the first page of your log, you had a 90kg x 5 bench, 100kg x 5 squat and a 130kg x 5 deadlift. Now squats are 130kg for 5 reps and deads are close to 180kg for 5 reps
    Great progression so far Doug
    See to me that looks very slow. I'm sure could have done better if I'd stayed injury free but it probably wouldn't be an enormous difference. It is very frustrating working as hard as my crappy recovery will let me and having such slow progress when I see people around me accelerating away. There's more than a few chaps at the gym who were pushing the same weights as me back then and now make me feel wholly inadequate. To be fair I'm certain some of them are on special sups, you just don't get puffy and acne ridden in your 30's for no reason. That's the sort of thing I'd never do, this is a lifestyle choice for me and I'm not going to risk my health for short cuts but I'd really like to know why my recovery capacity is so poor.

See to me that looks very slow. I'm sure could have done better if I'd stayed injury free but it probably wouldn't be an enormous difference. It is very frustrating working as hard as my crappy recovery will let me and having such slow progress when I see people around me accelerating away. There's more than a few chaps at the gym who were pushing the same weights as me back then and now make me feel wholly inadequate. To be fair I'm certain some of them are on special sups, you just don't get puffy and acne ridden in your 30's for no reason. That's the sort of thing I'd never do, this is a lifestyle choice for me and I'm not going to risk my health for short cuts but I'd really like to know why my recovery capacity is so poor.
    Most lifters never get a 4pps deadlift, a 3pps squat or even a 2pps bench .... I know that over the years I should have had less focus on numbers and worked harder on improving and reassessing my form. I got so many injuries, especially with benching and pressing, by chasing PRs that I wish I'd taken it slower. Slow progress is still progress (deep I know ) and in a years time you'll be a lot stronger than now

Squat 165kg/363lbs
    Deadlift 190kg/418lbs

Most lifters never get a 4pps deadlift, a 3pps squat or even a 2pps bench .... I know that over the years I should have had less focus on numbers and worked harder on improving and reassessing my form. I got so many injuries, especially with benching and pressing, by chasing PRs that I wish I'd taken it slower. Slow progress is still progress (deep I know ) and in a years time you'll be a lot stronger than now
    Very good point.
    - Frank Zane

Yeah, yeah, mediocrity achieved but that ain't my goal. I wish I had stuck at it back in my early 20's but with the knowledge I have now. I was indestructible back then.

2013.03.20 Wednesday

OK, back is still fragile from Friday's abuse. The military press showed it up the most, at full extension I could feel stiffness and pain from, well, basically everything down my back. It loosened up a bit but I didn't want to push it with heavy deadlifts and I need the recovery for Sunday so I kept those light. I think I'll break out the foam roller and tennis ball and schedule in a nice hot bath.

Squat:
    5 x 60Kg
    5 x 75Kg
    5 x 90Kg
    5 x 90Kg

5 x 37.5Kg
    5 x 45Kg
    5 x 52.5Kg
    6 x 60Kg <- had another in me but back was complaining.

Deadlift:
    5 x 60Kg
    5 x 100Kg
    5 x 120Kg
    5 x 140Kg

Yeah, yeah, mediocrity achieved but that ain't my goal. I wish I had stuck at it back in my early 20's but with the knowledge I have now. I was indestructible back then.
    I've been training consistently since I was 20 but there just wasn't the knowledge or advice out there on lifting, rehab or diet and I accumulated so many injuries over the way that I was able to ignore because I was fit and young and flexible and I could compensate in so many ways. Now I'm scarred and inflexible and not as fit and training seems to be one long rehab session for me . I would love to be 20 now and starting to lift with the info I have now. Restarting in your mid30s is still a better option than doing it later

There's nothing mediocre either in what you have achieved Doug .... you've got strong lifts and you're getting stronger and you've got a good athletic physique, plus you've got plenty of upside on both

2013.03.20 Wednesday

OK, back is still fragile from Friday's abuse. The military press showed it up the most, at full extension I could feel stiffness and pain from, well, basically everything down my back. It loosened up a bit but I didn't want to push it with heavy deadlifts and I need the recovery for Sunday so I kept those light. I think I'll break out the foam roller and tennis ball and schedule in a nice hot bath.

Squat:
    5 x 60Kg
    5 x 75Kg
    5 x 90Kg
    5 x 90Kg

5 x 37.5Kg
    5 x 45Kg
    5 x 52.5Kg
    6 x 60Kg <- had another in me but back was complaining.

Deadlift:
    5 x 60Kg
    5 x 100Kg
    5 x 120Kg
    5 x 140Kg
    Nice 'light' session! Is Sunday another local strongman comp?

Squat 165kg/363lbs
    Deadlift 190kg/418lbs