Usergu1de has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Starting strength.. Equipment...

yo! Ok so I'm new to lifting weights I'm reading starting strength ATM

My problem is that my gym is ****... I can't do squats there's no power rack etc I have to use the leg press... And I have to bench press on a smith machine... I know it's not ideal but if I can stick to the programme I will join a decent gym....

Will i still see results ?? Should I just persevere for now or am I wasting my time?

Rise Of The Weak Squatter GinjaNinja85's Avatar
    Location: Brighton, East Sussex, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    GinjaNinja85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GinjaNinja85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GinjaNinja85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GinjaNinja85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GinjaNinja85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GinjaNinja85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GinjaNinja85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GinjaNinja85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GinjaNinja85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GinjaNinja85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GinjaNinja85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Unfortunately, unless you find a new gym, you are wasting your time. Neither of those are acceptable substitutes and without squatting, you won't be doing anything close to SS. Find a new gym as soon as you can and make do for now is all I can suggest.
    Powerlifter 160/100/195/455kg @ 91.55
    137.5/97.5/195/430kg @ 82.7

Boxer 5-1

TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You'll see results, anything is better than nothing, but you should dump that gym as as soon as you can. Also, don't expect to squat what you can leg press, or bench what you can smith machine bench. You can follow the progressive overload system just fine, but you'll pretty much start from ground zero once you get legit equipment.
    “The problem with many hypertrophy-based programs is that they leave out the strength component. You might get bigger as a result of the program, but if you don’t get any stronger you’re still a chump in my book. That’s right, I don’t care how big you are, if you aren’t strong you’re a sham. Having big muscles and no strength is the training equivalent of wearing a strap-on. All show and no go. End of story.” - Jim Wendler

5/3/1 blog - http://boringbutbig.tumblr.com

Usergu1de has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks, looks like im swapping gyms then, 25 min drive tho!! Also I'm going alone, I've got no one to spot me? Im not going to be able to push myself I might drop the bar on my head, that's why I thought the smith machine was a good idea ....

TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Usergu1de View Post
    Thanks, looks like im swapping gyms then, 25 min drive tho!! Also I'm going alone, I've got no one to spot me? Im not going to be able to push myself I might drop the bar on my head, that's why I thought the smith machine was a good idea ....
    I don't have a spotter either, but you just have to know when to try for that last rep...or ask someone for a spot.
    “The problem with many hypertrophy-based programs is that they leave out the strength component. You might get bigger as a result of the program, but if you don’t get any stronger you’re still a chump in my book. That’s right, I don’t care how big you are, if you aren’t strong you’re a sham. Having big muscles and no strength is the training equivalent of wearing a strap-on. All show and no go. End of story.” - Jim Wendler

5/3/1 blog - http://boringbutbig.tumblr.com

Goatny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Goatny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Goatny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Goatny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Goatny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Goatny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Goatny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Goatny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Goatny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Goatny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Goatny will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You can make gains just fine if you're applying yourself. They won't be as good but you'll make um. Don't fret. Also I refuse to leg press. I'd rather grab a BB and do zercher pistol squats.
    -Chasing The Pump-

Whether you take a doughnut hole as blank space or as an entity unto itself is purely a metaphysical question and does not affect the taste of the doughnut one bit - Murakami

Location: London, Greater London, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    MikeKK is just really nice. (+1000) MikeKK is just really nice. (+1000) MikeKK is just really nice. (+1000) MikeKK is just really nice. (+1000) MikeKK is just really nice. (+1000) MikeKK is just really nice. (+1000) MikeKK is just really nice. (+1000) MikeKK is just really nice. (+1000) MikeKK is just really nice. (+1000) MikeKK is just really nice. (+1000) MikeKK is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Usergu1de View Post
    yo! Ok so I'm new to lifting weights I'm reading starting strength ATM

My problem is that my gym is ****... I can't do squats there's no power rack etc I have to use the leg press... And I have to bench press on a smith machine... I know it's not ideal but if I can stick to the programme I will join a decent gym....

Will i still see results ?? Should I just persevere for now or am I wasting my time?
    Well you don't necessarily need the rack, that is if you don't go crazy to failure. I mean if you do 3 reps barely then its obvious that you won't do 4th rep. I squatted with SS without rack upto 250lbs without any incidents or nothing.
    Anyway you will be starting from low weights anyway so you might just as well start squatting in the meantime while looking for other gym.
    Squat rack is a must when you do 1-3 reps or 1RM as these carry really big possibility of failure, 5 reps not so much.
    Oh and I wouldn't ask people in the gym for spotting, they might do more harm than help lol. Just lift, don't go ape**** and know when enough is enough.
    As I mentioned above, if you feel really weak on your 3-4 rep then you shouldn't be attempting another one, as you will either fail or the form will be terrible. Both these things aren't good.